Let's Get Started

Team Captain

     English is boring per usual, but at least I've got Jinyoung, who I can always count on to make the best of any situation. Our assignment in English is to summarize this entire book as a team, it's the assignment that'll begin our second semester. It was suggested that we get started as soon as possible, as it's gonna be due next week, but even we aren't above procrastinating. We may be considered the hugest nerds in all of JYP High, but our status was achieved through a micromanaged homework schedule. It probably is a good idea to begin, though, we haven't even read the book, but Jinyoung is too caught up in telling me about his day so far. "Seriously, dude. I'm so lucky that Youngjae and I have the same gym period and that Coach Buck likes us." Every year, our school does this project thing with all the seniors. They pair us up, usually with someone that we don't know, and we do a whole bunch of activities with that person. Our school is super tight on the idea that they're teaching us "teamwork" and "good leadership skills." Unfortunately, they haven't considered the fact that many of us are social rejects and all the group assignments are just new ways for us to look forward to intense embarassment. "Oh no." Jinyoung's face goes dark.

"What?" I wonder.

"The Swagfags are in your gym class." The Swagfags are the "popular" kids in the school. We have nothing against gay people, by the way; in fact, Jinyoung is gay. But "swag" and "" just so happen to rhyme and "" is often considered an insulting word, so we coined the term "Swagfags." They're the kings and queens of the school, but in our case, the king, a few princes, and a queen. And yes, the Swagfags are in my gym period. Only a few of them, though. Jackson, Bambam, and Jackson's girlfriend, Amber. The two boys are the worst of the entire group. I don't really hear much about the junior that hangs out with them, Yugyeom, but the other guy, Jaebeom, went out with Jinyoung in freshman year until he started hanging out with his fellow Swagfags. I guess he was pretty all right.

"Yeah," I continue, "but I doubt they'll be my partner. The odds are completely against it."

"Whatever." Jinyoung scoffs. "I'll laugh my of when you're paired with the ringleader." I flick him in the forehead to respond and I'm answered with a taunt. The "ringleader" he was referring to was Jackson Wang, the swagfaggiest Swagfag of them all. 

     By the time English is over, Jinyoung and I haven't written a single word about the book, but we made plans to finish the entire thing this Saturday. We exit the class together and meet Youngjae by his locker. Youngjae is the artistic one of the group. He was always seen with headphones around his neck, music was his passion. Jinyoung and Youngjae are going to their chorus class together next, while I head off to my demise in gym. The band room that chorus is in sits next to the gym and the tennis courts, so we'll be walking in the same direction anyway.
     The three of us make our way down the stairs toward our destination. I drag my feet in attempt to create more time between me and the inevitable. I manage to it up as I bid farewell to the other as we separate. I walk cautiously into the dressing room, a habit I picked up during a half a semester with Jackson and Bambam changing in the same room as I. Seems as though the coast is clear as I saunter toward my gym locker. I hurriedly change my clothes with the fear every helpless nerd has when they're around the merciless predators of the locker room. In the corner, I see Jackson and Bambam running around with some guy's shorts. I feel sorry for the kid, I think he's a sophomore, but I then flee the scene at top speed. 
     Once out of the locker room, I head straight for the bleachers. I won't make an of myself today in front of Coach Buck. I'm pretty sure he likes me... Hopefully he'll just pair those fools up together. I sit alone where we line up for roll call. I sit next to this kid, Yoongi. He's in the one music club with Youngjae, so I've become slightly acquainted with him. "I hope Coach let's me work with you." He tells me with his "I don't give a single " attitude, which kind of startles me because of his said attitude.

     "Yeah." I laugh awkwardly. It was a bit sudden, and I only ever talk to him in gym.

     "You're the only person I talk to in this class." He laughs at himself out of self-pity and peers at me through his side vision. Now that I think about it, he's the only person I talk to in this class also, and we've been in the same class for a semester already.

     "Same here." I shake my head, another act of self-pity. "We're such nerds."

     Yoongi nods in agreement. "You can say that again." Before we can continue our conversation further, Coach Buck meanders to his class fully lined up. I notice Jackson, Bambam, and Amber settle into their places in line after their rough housing elsewhere. 

     "All right, noobs." Coach's word choice is always interesting. "Today's the day: first day of semester two. The first day of absolute hell in gym, the day your fate is decided by one partnership. No, seriously, though. You're all going to be put with some other loser in this class whether you like it or not because you'll all learn the value of partnership and all that fun stuff. So, without further ado, let's get started with these partners, eh?" It's really getting difficult to take Coach Buck seriously. His young looks did nothing to support his words to the seniors. That is, until he started calling partners.

     "Here we go." Yoongi says to me. I nod in reply. I squeeze my eyes tightly to block off all sight, since hearing better will definitely tip the odds positively toward my direction. My fingers feel like they'll break because I'm crossing them together with so much force.

     "Yoongi and Amber." Coach calls. Yoongi groans disapprovingly. I pat his shoulder sympathetically, before continuing my hopeful ritual. It's not long unitl I hear my name, though. "Mark..." Coach calls and my eyes shoot open, still crossing my fingers. He searches the crowd for me and searches further after finding me. "And Jackson." Wait... What? What. Not Jackson! Anyone but Jackson! Seriously, my luck. My breathing stops and I hold it as if I'll suffocate, and I hope I do at this rate. I see Jackson out of my peripheral vision and notice that he isn't exactly enjoying the pair himself. I mean he should, he'll probably bully me into doing all of the work anyway. It's not like one of his friends would've done it had he partnered with one of them.

     "Your first assignment as a team is to get to know each other. It's the simplest assignment I could possibly give you, you literally cannot screw this up. All you hve to do is talk to each other." Coach Buck looks up from his clipboard after he's done calling names to tell us this. He dismisses us to the courtyard outside of the gym. The courtyard is reserved for seniors at lunch and during our time from freshman to junior, we anticipated the day that we'd claim a table. Unfortnately for me, I'd be sharing a table today with a Swagfag. What a way to spend the day.

      "All right, shrimp." Jackson begins, rather arrogantly. "Let's get this thing started."

     I can't believe that Jinyoung was right. I actually got partnered with the king of the idiots, the ringleader of the Swagfags. Great.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Thank you for reading! I hope you liked that chapter. I'm brand new to writing fanficiton like this, but I hope that you all enjoyed it. Please voice your thoughts and opinions in the comment section down below. If you have anything to suggest, or anything to say, I'd appreciate it so much. Again, thanks for reading.

Markson is my number 1 OTP in GOT7 and GOT7 just so happens to be my bias group despite the fact that they're a fairly new group.

By the way, the coach is supposed to be Nichkun from 2PM. I know that the coach might seem like an and Nichkun is NOT an , but I decided to have an all idol cast in my mini fanfic.

Once again, thanks for reading. I appreciate everything.