BEGINNER'S LUCK

Monte Sant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BEGINNER’S LUCK

 

 

 

“So, Actress Dara,” the interviewer says. “You’ve been away for a long time and naturally, people are very curious about you. Your popularity is astounding considering you’ve recently come back with a web drama and a movie! Let me congratulate you for both. Youtube views for the web drama are over the top and holds a record now.”

 

“Yes, I recently received a gift from Youtube and I posted it on SNS. The web drama is one of the most memorable projects I ever did.”, Dara shares.

 

“There’s been trouble before it’s completion, I was told. Would you care to elaborate?”

 

“We only had to pause filming for a while and its release got moved but we finished the last scenes in a week’s time, so we weren’t very far from schedule.”

 

“Longer time to spend in the island. I heard that you seemed to love it there according to your manager.”

 

“Yeah, I love it there simply because I was with my family.”, Dara smiles

 

 

She was thinking about what she said during the interview while Chaerin was doing her make up. People doesn’t know the truth to her words and her sincerity in conveying her thoughts. Perhaps, only the people who knew what happened about a year ago. But what exactly happened was vague in her mind now. Except that she felt content and happy with the man she is currently dating, as well as the overwhelming euphoria of having Seunghyun back in their lives, and her brothers at peace.

 

Seunghyun might be away from them but this time, he kept in touch. He’d call to check on them if not every night, at least once a week and Dara noticed that Mino would call him when he has problems as well. Her brothers were closer now than they were before, and it’s just as it should be. She knew their parents are smiling down on them from heaven. She can almost hear her mother say, “Well done, Dara.”

 

A knock on the door of the hotel room brought her back from her recollection and the smiling face of her manager peeked through. “With all the flowers you’ve been receiving, you can totally make yourself a flower garden.”, she says then she brings a bouquet of daisies for her. “Another one came for you and I’m sure you want to see this. It’s coming every hour, I swear!” Dara takes the daisies then sees the card. She knew who it came from because Jesse only brings her the ones from Jiyong. The bouquet was simple but she loves daisies since she knew that it symbolizes new beginnings. Especially since she has been contemplating on starting a new way of life, that she might have mentioned only to her beau.  She smiles and thanks Jesse.

 

“Jiyong has sent 5 sets of flowers now, since this morning, perhaps to make up for his absence. I don’t even know what to do with the others that came from your friends and fans!” Jesse shakes her head then she grins. “That is what you get for cheating him of a normal courtship. You really should’ve let him spoil you first before you agreed to be his girlfriend. Did you even go out on a date?”

 

Dara was thoughtful for a while and nods. She remembers Jiyong asking her out on a dates, every night until she had to leave the island. They watched the sunset while on board Jiyong’s Sea Nymph. The day before she returned to the city, Jiyong also prepared dinner for her at his café. He has done half of its renovations and he wanted to show Dara.

 

“I can almost picture it now, Ji. Your café will be so nice when its all done.”, she says while she gazes at the lights on the wall and the stairs. The glass walls reflected the night sky, providing privacy to its interior that was still bare except for the one table and chair that they ate at. Jiyong hugs her from behind and kisses her cheek.

 

“I hope you can be here when we open.”

 

“I want to say that I’ll come but I can’t make promises at this time.”, she turns to him and cups his face. “I’ll try though, okay?” He looks down, conscious of the way she was staring at him, biting his lip to keep his smile and he nods. Dara thought that he was disappointed by what she said.

 

“I want to tell you that I’m not exactly like any other girls you see on tv or movies. If we are going to be in a relationship, you should know that I’m not going to sugar-coat anything for you, especially not making promises that I don’t intend to keep. I’m not used to acting cute, don’t make me do it. I do it on tv but I hate it, honestly. But I can be sweet and cute in my own way, just don’t expect too much.”, she adds with a smile. Jiyong holds her hand, kisses her palm and looks at her with a tenderness so poignant. “I haven’t been in a relationship in a long time. I’m not really used to it. I don’t know how courtships are done these days, but you’ve said you like me, and you adore me so many times, so I assume that you probably want to be with me.”

 

“You don’t have to assume.” He kisses her forehead and tighten her arms around her. “I want to be with you, Dara. I want you to be the 1st person I see in the morning and the last, before I fall asleep. I want to make you breakfast, bring you lunch at work then wait while you prepare dinner. I want to be with you when you’re happiest, most especially when you are sad. I want to be the person you go to when you have problems. I might not have the solution, but still, I want you to share them with me.” He cups her face and gently wipes a tear that threatened to escape her lovely eyes. “All I’m saying is, I want to be in your life. I want to be your past, present and future.” They both chuckled at the truth that his words held. “Whatever happened in our past, it’s not going to matter now because it’s done, and we can never change it. But as we start again, finding each other again, perhaps its fate or maybe we’re just lucky. I don’t even want to question it anymore. Because I know I’ve never felt like this for anyone else before. I really do love you, Dara. Tell me what I should do, and I’ll be the man for you.”

 

Dara smiles and pinches his cheeks. “Just be yourself and try to understand our circumstances. I have to be in the city while you have to be here. We both have very different lives, I honestly don’t know how we’ll adapt but I’m thinking that maybe we should see how this will work. We’ll never know unless we try.”

 

Jiyong hugs her and she leans on his chest. She hears him let out a deep sigh. “Having second thoughts now?”, she asked but he shook his head.

 

“You won’t get mad at me if I won’t be there to spend your birthday with you?”, Jiyong asks.

 

“Just make sure you double my gift on Christmas.”, she jokes then tickles his side. “I’m not a kid who would get mad just because you miss my birthday! I don’t even like getting old anymore.”

 

“You’re aging backwards. You shouldn’t feel bad about getting older.”, Jiyong laughs. “I will mind it though. I know I’ll be hurt a little if were not together on special days like birthdays, anniversary, white day, Christmas, New Years… Ow!” He grimaced as Dara pinched his side.

 

“You’re so childish. I’ll take note of those days on my calendar and ask to keep those days free.”, she says then Jiyong smiles and kisses her lips. Just a simple peck but for Dara, it was the sweetest.

 

“So, are we…I mean, am I your boyfriend now?”

 

“Yes, Kwon Jiyong.”, Dara says. “You are my boyfriend.”

 

“Turn around.”, he says, and Dara finds herself in front of the glass walls with the milky way on their background. Jiyong got something from his pocket then shows her a white velvet box. Dara opens it and sees a gold necklace with a dragon pendant, shaped like an S. “I dreamt of them…I mean us.”, he starts while taking the necklace from the box to put it on Dara’s neck. “They looked happy now. Mingguk kept playing around and making his sister laugh. I saw that the emblem of what used to be our family was a dragon. I bought this with my first win in Monaco, about 8 years ago. I saw it in this fancy jewelry shop and I immediately liked it. I haven’t met you yet. I haven’t worn it ever since and only remembered it when I woke up after that dream and my 1st thought was to give it to you.”

 

“Your 1st win? In a casino? This must have cost so much!”

 

“My beginner’s luck.”, he says, proud of himself.

 

“Ji, are you really not gambling anymore? I really don’t want…”

 

“Before you become my nagging girlfriend, no, I really don’t gamble anymore. Maybe if you come with me, then I can play some.”

 

“Fair enough.”, she says then she looks at the necklace. “Thank you, Jiyong. It’s really beautiful.”

 

“Is that how you’ll thank your boyfriend?”, he raises a brow at her then Dara kisses him.

 

End flashback

 

“It’s not my style.”, Dara grins back. “Besides, if I put too much expectations on a busy man, like Jiyong, I’m sure I’ll be up for disappointments. I’m not like the heroines I play, Jesse. I’m not waiting for serenades, expensive dinner dates or lavish gifts. Should I wait for him to break into a song while were together just to know his true feelings?”

 

“Well, I think he might.”, Chaerin says. “I see him every time he visits you and I’ve seen the way he looks at you. I swear, he’s all heart-eyes emoji!”

 

“He does, doesn’t he?”, Jesse smirks at her. “Damn Dara, you turn modern dating up a notch. Anyways, I really am serious about what I should do with all the flowers you received today.”

 

“Send them all over to my place. I’m sure there will be a lot of space for them since my siblings are away and I rarely even see Mino.”

 

“I thought he was going to you tonight.”

 

“Backed out because of a last-minute gig.”, Dara says.

 

“He chose making money over his sister?”

 

“It’s not a big deal, Chae. He was willing to cancel but I told him not to. I’m used to doing this on my own anyway.”

 

“We’re done.”, Chaerin says and Jesse looks at her with a doting smile. “My my…”, Jesse says, clearly pleased at what she’s seeing. “You are totally, undoubtedly, magnificently made, Sandara.”

 

“Put on the dress for full effect now.”, Chaerin says and Dara stands to go over the changing are where her dress was hidden. “We picked a black one this time. We learned from the last time you walked the red carpet.” Dara laughs and just shook her head at them.

 

“I don’t think I’m running away this time.”, Dara says. “Besides if I did, I’m sure you’ll know where to find me.”

 

“Is he coming?”, Chaerin asks.

 

“Question is, did you ask him?” Jesse doubts.

 

“You know I’m not that needy.”, Dara says when she emerged from behind the changing blinds and both Jesse and Chaelin’s jaws dropped. “What?”, she says before she turns to the mirror and gasped when she saw herself.

 

“You look like you’re glowing!” Dara thought Jesse was crying because she totally sounded like it.

 

“Black was definitely made for you, Dara.”, Chaerin says. “I can’t believe he’s going to miss this. I hope some spirit gets him here before midnight!”

 

“A hundred bucks and I say he’s coming.”, Chaerin challenges Jesse.

 

“Call!”

 

 

 

 

Flashback to years ago when the same car brought her to the bright lights, paparazzi and red carpet. Before she was sick of it. She was sick of smiling and looking pretty. She was sick of pleasing everyone else. She wanted to be alone then, no not really alone. But with someone who didn’t treat her like the celebrity that she was. She wanted to go somewhere unfamiliar. Although she hoped that going somewhere and being herself would be shared with someone she loved.

 

And that was what she wanted all along.

 

 

The car halts and the camera lights blaze upon her as they recognize a new target. Actress Sandara puts on a bright smile before she takes a step out of the car, taking over the hearts of millions.

 

But what really mattered at that point in time to her, was the man walking towards her. At first his face has been obscured by the flashes of lights but now that he’s nearer, Dara couldn’t even believe her eyes. Clad in his designer tuxedo, Kwon Jiyong looked even better than other celebrities.

 

“You’re here…”, she gasps while her hands almost cover in shock.

 

“Didn’t you say…”, he starts to speak however Dara already walks forward and embraces the man she missed dearly. “I missed you too, love.”

 

“You always have impeccable timing, you know.”, she whispers against his ear.

 

“Well, this is better than the casino.”, he says, pushing her away a little, their face so close, they could feel each other’s warm breath. “Want to get out of here?”, he invites playfully, while his arms still held her against him. She shook her head then glances at the people holding their cameras.

 

“Let’s stay. I want to show you off.”, she says to him. Then Dara pulls away and hooks her arm with Jiyong as they walk the red carpet. She could hear the media calling out to her, asking her to stop for a photo. Jiyong also gave way to the spotlight as they all photograph her, but he waited on the sides, playing the part of the perfect by the book.

 

Back in a hotel room, screams from 2 ladies could be heard from inside the bedroom. Jesse hands over a hundred bucks to Chaerin. “I knew someone was bound to bring him here.”, she says. “With our girl looking like that, he’s going to regret not coming.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

His hands hurriedly take out the knot of his tie as she pushed him against the wall. Coat off, cufflinks off. He even heard a button fall on the floor as they undress each other. She turns her back to him as he s her dress and it becomes a million-dollar heap on the floor. Hair falling in tumbling waves as he takes the pin out, to ruin her perfectly coiffed mane.

 

Jiyong caught her face between his hands, capturing her lips, shoving his fingers through the sides of her hair. She slid her hands up his chest and around his neck, holding him close, kissing him back. The distance between them the past months created a longing that was almost past bearing and she showed him that with every touch and kiss. Melting against him, she returned his kisses, welcoming his tongue and giving him hers with only the merest hint from him that he wanted it.

 

“I hope your brothers and Jisoo aren’t home.”, he says between kisses. “Damn, I missed you so much. It doesn’t even help that you look so perfect tonight!”

 

“2 are out of the country.”, Dara says. “Mino won’t be home until dawn.” And even when she got room to breathe as Jiyong’s lips turn their ministration on her neck, she held back as a new onslaught of pleasure severs her breathing.

 

“How did I get so lucky?”, he says with a grin.

 

“You mean, I got lucky.”, she counters and Jiyong kisses her again but breaks it quickly that Dara moaned as the space between them grew. He turns her so that her back was against him. She could feel his growing . She moves her hips against it and grins when he moans. “I thought you were supposed to be at the café. Seunghyun said that you were preparing for your anniversary.”

 

“He can manage.”, he says against her ear and Dara moans when his fingers find her center, driving her insane with lust as it moves in circular motion. His lips drown out her scream as his mouth descend upon hers with hungry desire. And just when she thought she could come undone; Dara feels cold air on her skin and her back meets the satin sheets of her bed. She looks up to find Jiyong kneeling over her. He brings up her leg, dropping butterfly kisses on her skin until his mouth replaces where his fingers have been and Dara almost buckles over, lifting her hips, shamelessly offering herself to him as she selfishly reaches for release.

 

“Ji…”, she could barely whisper before she screams his name.

 

Jiyong forced himself to lift his head then he gazed down into her eyes, unconsciously memorizing the way she appeared, all flushed and fresh and alluring. “You are so damn beautiful, Dara.”, he says with a raspy voice. “I still can’t believe you are mine.” Dara leans on his hand and kisses his palm.

 

“I’m all yours.”, she tells him before she brings him closer. Her arms wound around his neck, returning his drugging kisses, his shoulders and back, nails biting, as his mouth touches her s. Jiyong wanted to slow down but he knew he was losing control. His hands rush over the sides of her and back then angling across her buttocks, holding her tightly against him. With the courage that she gained, his breath caught when she holds him in her hand, her soft fingers wrapped around his rigid arousal, pushing him on edge until he was on the verge of exploding in her hand. With blood pounding in his ears, Jiyong eases himself on top of her and between her legs, probing at the entrance of her body.

 

“Don’t make me wait longer.”, she says against his lips.

 

“I love you, Dara.”

 

“And I, you.”, she says before he eases his way into her wet passage, his breath caught as her warmth engulfs him. Her eyes were now closed, long lashes lying on her cheeks as she instinctively lifts her lips to his. She begins to move with him while he seized in a plundering kiss, forcing her faster and faster to the peak, reveling in her muffled cry as she dug her nails into his back and began to shudder convulsively beneath him. His mouth seized hers with ferocious desperation and she matched his desire with hers, unwilling to surface from her state of mindless pleasure. He lifts her hips, plunging harder, driven by some uncontrollable need to be as deep within her as possible when he came. A jolt of sensation screamed down his nerve endings, shook his entire body, leaving him weak and spent.

 

Morning came and Dara woke up with a smile on her face. With her eyes closed, she lets her hand roam on her bed, knowing full well that she didn’t sleep alone last night, only to find it empty, except for her. Did she just dream Jiyong’s presence last night? How come it felt so real? She pulls up the sheets and sees her body. She jolts upright and her eyes register the opened door of her bedroom.

 

“It can’t have been a dream!”

 

“Are you awake?”, came his voice and Dara almost laughed out loud at the thoughts running through her mind.

 

“Where are you?”, she calls out then Jiyong appears by her door with a glass of milk. He gives it to her and kisses the top of her head.

 

“Wash up then let’s have breakfast.”, he tells her. “Mino just arrived, and he says he’s eating breakfast with us.”

 

“Wait, he just arrived? What time is it?”, Dara asks after drinking the glass of milk to the brim. Jiyong wipes a smear on her lip with his thumb then it.

 

“You’re such a baby.”

 

“Don’t change the subject. What time did he arrive?”, Dara insists, but her voice laced with worry.

 

“It’s 8. Now, like I said, wash up and talk to your brother when we have breakfast.”

 

 

“Good morning!”, came her brother’s voice from his room as he sees his sister in the dining table while Jiyong was serving their meal. Mino kisses his sister’s cheek. “You look different this morning, Noona.”, he teases but Dara turns to him with a grim expression.

 

“And where did you spend the night?”

 

“I was at Jihoon’s! We were hanging out then I lost track of time.”, he playfully nudges her. “Aren’t you happy I didn’t come home?” Jiyong turned to hide the smile erupting from his lips and Dara sum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter