part 1.

500 DAYS OF KIBUM

Our story starts with Love and Love alone, but this is not something that your mother read you. This is not a story that Disney sells in their themepark. We have no dragons, glass slippers and magic- what we have is reality. The boy is named Lee Jinki. Jinki is an outstanding student, eversince he was 5 years old his father who owned a big firm told his son one thing and one thing only : “i will give you everything if you can become a great lawyer someday.” At a tender age, Jinki’s brain was programmed to excellence. Getting the highest grades and leading the student body came natural to the kid. Now, in his sophomore year in Princeton university towards excellence. But Jinki is also born to Sing. The boy discovered the passion for singing when he joined the talent show to get the votes of girls and to prove that he was not all brains. In that moment, seeing the people standing up and cheering for him; seeing his mom teary eyed and proud. He knew that time that he is where he is supposed to be. But that dream is kept in his heart, kept, like all other dreams he conjured other than what was already programmed in his head. Lee Jinki is now in a University that he is supposed to be. He is in the top of the classes, a campus crush and his teachers adore him. 

                Our heroine, or should I say- another hero we have is Kim Kibum. Kibum is tagged as ‘Key’ by his peers eversince he demanded them to call him that cause it sounds cool. He was just an elementary kid back then but it baffled everyone (even his parents) the way he affected people. In 1st grade, he failed his math test because he slept through it, but as soon as his teacher saw the tears welling he agreed to let him take another exam. In high school, he was just a sophomore but he wanted the position ‘President of the Dance troupe’ . He auditioned and no one cheered for him, but after five minutes of his routine the whole place voted for him as Captain. Finally, In his senior year he knew that Princeton University was a lost cause cause he didn’t have that much money. He made an audition tape to get in, wrote an essay, plead to a panel and the next thing he knew he was accepted. Kim Kibum is now a sophomore in the University and a Fine arts student. He still dances. Everyone loves Kibum, Still. 

Let me tell you in this early part of our tale, This is not a love story. This is a story about Love. 



DAY 400

Taemin made his way towards the stairs. He knew he got it right this time, why does he have to be called in this University dorm at two in the morning? Goodness sake. There he was, minding his own business with problems that he had for himself and his idiot Cousin had to have an ‘emergency’. He loves his cousin, he really does. Onew practically tutored him and persisted for him to study. He got a call from Onew’s bestfriend- Jonghyun. He was about to dismiss it, after all all jonghyun said was- 

“ they broke up.” 

He sighed, picking up pace. Taemin saw Onew go through break ups so it was nto a big deal. He knew who Jonghyun was talking about, Key. Kim Kibum. Months ago, Jinki was smiling like an idiot talking about that guy and now? How can this be different? He heard plates smashing, he wasn’t sure. Onew became violent. He wanted to see his gentle and caring cousin be all violent. He almost smiled to himself but his heart tugged with concern. 

“ where is he?” 

Jonghyun heaved a sigh of relief as he saw the boy come in. He didn’t need help from a kid, but Onew is being unbearable. He is about to break all three of their plates when he already smashed their whole tea set. He had to lock his room and snatch the frames and books he had laying around. He knew Onew eversince he could remember, but this is the first time he saw him like this. 

Taemin heard another sound of something breaking and looked up to see his cousin. Onew had and old faded jeans on and a white shirt. His eyes are bloodshot and he is crying uncontrollably. The younger boy enveloped the now shaking Onew and they collapsed on the floor. 

“ What has Princeton done to you? Breakdown?” Taemin joked. 

“ we are through- just like that.” More than sadness, the disbelief in his voice lingered in the air. Onew stood up and led his cousin to the small sala they had. He should be able to take it. But this was just too much. 

“ so, tell me- did you fight or something?” Taemin’s hands were now on his knees, steadying him and looking directly into his eyes. 

“ NO. There was nothing, we were so happy.” A smile threatened to escape his lips but the thought of key saying the words: ‘we are over’ playing in his head just killed the reflex. 

“ That can’t be, there is always a sign!” Taemin reasoned. 

“ He became a bit off, I don’t know why- like he was scared or something.” 

His voice trailed off. He remembers, how Key became distant and like all the energy he once had are now gone. How he doesn’t dance for him anymore and refused to make him paintings everyday. It was waking up, to find a whole other person. Onew shook his head- “He is cold this past week-“

Taemin took his hands and tried to speak as slowly and as sweetly as he can. “you experienced break ups before Onew.”

“ I know-“ he waved his arms in the air and looked away for a moment.

“ Girls and Boys ; you broke up with others before, told them it was over.. and a few times, you were at the receiving end of it.” Taemin mentally cheered himself, he had a rational reason. Being cousins with an up and coming Lawyer is really hard especially when you try to prove a point. 

Onew did not reply. Taemin handed him a box of cupcake, the one his mom made. Onew loves them.

“ You will find someone else, You are Lee in Jinki. Everybody here wants you.” 

“ I don’t want anyone else.” He replied flatly.

“ You have to get over him.”

“ I don’t wanna get over him. I want him back.” 

Taemin glanced over at jonghyun whose face was ‘what? I surrender to onew’ written all over it. He peered to his cousin and he could see lost and hurt. He handed him the cupcake and remembered when this first started. 



============================================================
DAY ONE 

           Lee Jinki is running late, which is unusual for him. He had to fix the dorm today, for his parents will be coming over to check his place along with his Favorite cousin. 3 minutes late to be exact as he raced towards his class on Torts. Thankfully the professor was someone who admired him and knows his name. Jinki looked at his classmates who were busy listening to the professor, she just gave him a knowing look and he took a seat on the higher part of the room. He was situated right next to the window, he hated this. The window just tempts him to look out and daydream or put out his pen to write. This room is on the first floor, so there is a big chance that there will be people running around. He turns to look at his notes then at the case flashed in the board. 

He knows this. He already studied this case before. 

His seatmate was scribbling madly but he didn’t even take his pen out. He knew this case by heart, his Dad discussed this with him when he was s sophomore in High school. 

Jinki turned his attention towards the window, there was no one there but the big old tree and then he saw him. 

He focused his eyes to a pair of blue eyes staring at him. He wondered, that guy can’t have blue eyes. The blue eyed boy stared at him. Jinki turned away. But he could still see the boy outside the window looking at him. “FOCUS.”he breathed and listened to the lecture for a good thirty minutes trying to avoid the stare of the ‘stalker’. He couldn’t take it anymore so he turned back to see. 

It caught him by surprise. The boy is now beaming at him and he accepted in that instant the inarguable truth that he is a beautiful boy. He remembers seeing him in the freshmen night party perform. His blue eyes are smiling and his hair is a perfect dark black with his bangs obstructing his right eye a little. He held up a piece of board and mouthed “LOOK.”

Jinki squinted to see himself in the paper. So, he is an arts major? This boy drew him, It was really good. The drawing had him on side view, intently listening to a lesson and the artist added a few details that was not there. Instead of a window and the bricks wall, swirls of charcoal and a few lines were added. He smiled at the boy and bowed. 

“ THANK YOU!” Jinki said without a sound and the boy smiled again. He stopped for a moment and signed it and moved towards the window. 

“ what?!” He looked around, the professor was still halfway in the lecture. 

The Artist jumped and reached towards the window and the charcoal sketch of Jinki stuck. Good thing no one noticed the sounds coming from the window. 

“ see you around!” He could hear his voice and Jinki eyed the charcoal sketch, wanting to open the window angd get it. In a neat scribble he read the name- KIM KIBUM. 

It was the first of a hundreds of sketches of Lee Jinki by Kim Kibum. 

Jonghyun caught up with him at the end of all the classes and smiled happily as he saw the neat dorm room. That only meant one thing, Jinki’s parents are coming here and he had to play along. Jinki emerged from another room with a rag on hand. 

“ Come on! Your parents just want to see you, its not like they will evaluate the dust in here.” 

“ Just in case, “ Jinki scrubbed their couch once more. 

“ It won’t be until tommorrow, why don’t we hang out?” 

“ I have exams! “ he reasoned out and Jonghyun placed an arm around his shoulder “exams won’t stop my dear friend, you are the one that has TO STOP. Come on!”

   Jinki accepted the fact that he had been studying non stop when its just the beginning of the term. But he had to save up good grades right? Jonghyun was now dragging him outside the dorm despite his protests. The University had groups , you have to belong to one to enjoy food and parties. Both Jinki and Jonghyun got into Rockefeller as their residential college. As for their eating club, they were both selected by the Princeton tower club . They made their way inside and was greeted by a hound of juniors and seniors, this club only selected a few freshmen and sophomore and since they were top students- they got in. It also didn’t hurt that Jonghyun was close friends with one of the Junior officer, Jessica Jung. The Princess of the club as she likes to call herself. 

“ Jess!” Jonghyun greeted her as she motioned both of them to sit with her. 

“ where is Minho and Joon?” Jinki looked around to look for the other two.

“ playing soccer outside, with some seniors i guess. “ she explained and handed jonghyun a glass of wine. 

“ stop trying to get me drunk this early, I will still kiss you.” 

Jessica blushed and slapped Jonghyun playfully. Jinki left them alone. He was not really hungry anyway, he just needed to get out the dorm because his books and the cleanliness of his dorm was suffocating him. He talked with few friends he knew when his eyes Landed on someone that was unconsciously on his mind the entire afternoon. 

KIBUM. 

So, he is a sophomore too? He is eating with one of his friends- Mir. 

       Jinki tried to battle with himself if he should walk over and talk to him, atleast thank him for the sketch. It was the rational thing to do anyway, it was Not like he was interested. But as he made his way towards the table, The thought of him being attracted to Kim Kibum was no longer far fetched. Actually, it was already staring at him right in the face. The boy is beauty in excess; it that was possible. He watched as he finished his ice cream and kept on laughing at some joke his friend said. Its the first time Jink saw him smile and he eyed the tshirt he had on- His eyes twitched- THE SMITHS. Its his favorite band next to the beatles. Not many people like them nowadays, he didn’t expect someone like Kibum would. The ten steps towards the table seemed like minutes and Jinki stopped short when Mir caught sight of him. 

“ Onew – Hyung!” He waved and asked him to sit with them. He smiled at the crowd when Mir introduced him “ You already know him! Who doesn’t?” 

A boy chimed in with a – “the golden boy Jinki.” 

“ you can call me Onew.” Jinki smiled brightly and he wished that his best asset is doing wonders to a certain boy on his far left. 

“ YAH- You know my muse?” His head almost snapped towards Kibum’s direction. 

“ Muse?” A girl named Nicole asked. 

“ Yeah. I’ve been talking to you about finding an inspiration-“ Jinki wanted to be eaten alive, everyone in the long table was lsitening to Key’s booming voice- even some juniors. “ then i saw him in a window and – I drew him- You are very interesting Lee jinki.” He smiled at him, that sweet smile that Jinki was sure got invented only for him. Mir coughed and everyone resumed to their own business. 

I had no choice but to walk home alone now, Jonghyun is definitely busy with jessica and Minho texted me that he and Lee Joon will be going to the bar. I took my coat and went outside to be greeted by the chill of the night air. The dorm was not that far and i could use a little walk. 

“ Hey!” 

I heard someone call out and I almost tripped when Key grabbed my hand and squeezed it before walking beside me. 

“ Hi,” i replied meekly.

“ You liked my drawing ? Im sorry, it was a quick sketch.” Key said, almost apologetic. 

“ No, No- Its actually the first time someone made a sketch of me.” 

“ What? Girls are not trying to draw you with them in like- their version of a dream wedding?” 

Jinki chuckled and stopped to look at him once more, he did not have the blue eyes anymore. 

“Where are your blue eyes?” 

“ oh, those contact lenses? It got itchy.” 

Jinki wished they had to walk further but it is already his stop. “ so, here is my place. See you?”

Kibum beamed at him – “you can call me Key by the way.” Jinki was about to take his first step away from him but Key called him again. “ i heard you sing in the freshmen welcome party in the Tower, you sang my favorite song.” 

“ I what?” Jinki replied, confused with what Key said and the loud thumping in his chest. 

“ You sang my favorite song in that Open mic moment.” Key explained. He remembered their welcome party in the Princeton Tower club and they had this Karaoke. He was handed the mic because they wanted to make fun of the soon-to-be lawyer because he will be buried in books for the next years. Jinki obliged, he loved singing. He sang a smiths song ; ‘there is a light that never goes out’ 

“ really? I can’t believe- you like The smiths?”

Key smiled slyly and sang “and if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.” 

Jinki was floored. He just smiled and Key waved at and turned his back towards him.

And they were far apart now. Walking on different directions, Jinki on his room to study and Kibum towards his late night dance practice. It was Day one. 


DAY EIGHT

“ ONEW! ONEW! ONEW!” Jonghyun pounced on his bed and hit him with a pillow, trying to make him get up. His friend seemed to be pissed the past few days and it was because of Key. 

“ come on! Get off!” Jinki complained and he sat up, He could see Minho smiling at him and throwing him a soccer ball which he did not catch. 

“ I heard you have your eyes on Diva KEY!” Joon entered with his usual model stride as he entered the room. 

“ They found out okay?” Jonghyun explained.

“ WELL ITS OVER, He’s a !” Jinki stood up and tried to avoid the three sets of eyes looking at him. He took his notebooks trying to see if he missed studying for an exam but he saw all the TO DO LIST chores are crossed out. There was nothing else to do, he saw the SMITHS album and tried not to reach put for it. 

“ wha- what are you talking about? Mir said he’s a great guy and pretty popular.” Joon added. 

“ well- I gave him chances and he just blew it- DONE!” Jinki said with conviction. 

“ what exactly happened?” Minho asked innocently. 

       Jinki sat down and told them what he did. He relayed how on the next day he peered outside the window and saw Key was there waving at him but didn’t even bother to sketch him. This Nicole girl practically dragged him away, so- he isn’t interested in him. Jinki went on about one time, when they were sitting together and Key came over to ask ‘im going to the desert table, what do you want me to get you?’ Jinki quickly worked his charm and said in a low voice ‘i think you know what I want.’ Key only answered with a ‘i- i don’t’ The defeated boy answered with a ‘strawberry ice cream’ and meeting Jonghyu’s eyes who was obviously stopping himself from bursting into laughter. 

      He tried once more, he was not missing the chance to get to know this person. There is a reason that he met Key, there has to be some kind of reason. So he attended one of Key’s art classes. It was an informal class done after school hours and even non arts major can come in to express themselves by paint, charcoal, pastel or anything they please. Jinki made sure he was within Key’s vision, he played the whole album of The Smiths – the Queen is Dead and Key didn’t even look his way. 

“ and to top it all off ; “ Jinki emphasized as he looked over at Joon who was smiling at him. Minho who was texting someone and Jonghyun who was very very confused. 

“ we were finally in an elevator together and i asked him, How was his weekend he said GOOOODDDD!”

“ WAIT- What?” Jonghyun shaked his head and looked at Joon for an explanation and back to jinki. “i don’t get it?!”

“ he said GOOOODDD. Emphasis on the GOOOOD, like – it can translate to i just ed a girl or blew a guy. ITS OVER. He must really be this , “ 

Jonghyun’s mouth was open and was about to say something-

“ I don’t need him, pretty boys who think they can have everything.” 

“ you are very very confused – “ Jonghyun reasoned out. 

“ STOP THE GIRL TALK, We have a party to attend! “ Joon shook the bed and Minho handed them the tickets to the Tower party. It was in celebration of their president – Kim Youngwoon’s acceptance to a national soccer team. 

“ Booze is unlimited. “ Minho stated and Jonghyun’s eyes lit up. 

“ PLUS, EVERYONE IS GOING!” Jonghyun shook Jinki , like waking him up even if the boy as wide awake. “ EVERY- ONE – IS- GOING. “ he said slowly, 

“He means Key wiil be there and maybe you can get him drunk and pounce him!” Joon translated eagerly and threw a decent leather jacket towards Jinki. “sometimes i wonder why they call you Law school’s golden boy! “ 

“ He needs a court room to get his wors together you know, “ Jonghyun answered back and three hurried out to shower and fix themselves. Jinki stared at himself and gave up, This is just another party. 

It was not just another party, the unlimited booze was no joke as well as the food that was pouring. The four of them congratulated Youngwoon and shook his hand, even taking pictures with him. 

“ picture! Before you get wildly famous!” Minho jeered, he was really different around his hyungs, Jinki thought. 

His eyes travelled towards the Karaoke machine and there was an open mic. He went over, leaving the other three to their own business. 

“ You’re here! I will fail my art class if you start disappearing before my eyes!” Jinki was greeted with his fake blue eyes again, with his new fake green highlight on his bangs and his fake star tattoo on hsi cheek. Everything was not true but his hands being held by Kibum was so real. He couldn’t ignore it. 

“ Ive been busy in school, “ Jinki replied but Kibum just placed his hand on his hair, fixing it. Jinki felt the thump in his chest again. 

“ Don’t do that again, I will die without you- “ Kibum whispered to his ear and enveloped him in a warm embrace. Jinki could feel his body against him. Days ago, hell- even minutes before he went here, he was so sure that he was giving up on Kibum. And here he is, wrapped around his arms and Kibum telling him that he would die without him. 

“ KIM KIBUM!” The announcer screamed and Key let go, mocing to the center of the stage. 

“ Im not really a singer, so- go easy on me. “ He winked at Jinki who was obviously trying to look for something to prevent him from passing out. 

A familiar tune came in and He smiled to himself. Beatles. 

“Here come old flattop
He come groovin' up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball
He one holy roller
He got hair down to his knees
Got to be a joker
He just do what he please” 


Key had the crowd at the palm of his fingers althroughout the song and he stepped off the stage towards Jinki. 

“ Let’s get a drink!” 

Jinki obliged, this is the time to be asking questions. He hesitated for a bit. 

“ Where are you from?” 

“ Me? Here in Jersey, parents are divorced- as if thats a surprise.” Key took a gulp from his bottle. “and i know alot about you Lee Jinki. “ 

“ huh- really?” 

“ Yes. Lee Jinki, the golden boy. Friends with jonghyun, minho and joon. Every teacher’s favorite student and you live in Rockefeller residence.” 

A wide smile spread across Key’s face, like he accomplished a big thing. 

“ Your stupid ex is over there!” A girl joined them, Nicole. Jinki looked to see a junior he didn’t reallt know. 

“ He can die for all I care, I am not going to marry him.” Key chuckled and Nicole waved at Jinki. 

“ MARRY HIM?” jinki clarified. 

“ He is creepy and too clingy you see-“ Key finished his bottle and motioned for Jinki to give him another one, “ and he’d been talking about us marrying and living in the country side.” 

Nicole laughed so hard and Jinki couldn’t see the joke in that statement.

“ Why? You don’t believe in Love?” Jinki asked him and Key kept a straight face. 

“ Love is not true, its fantasy. “

“ Come on, Its Love- Its not Santa claus.” Key accepted the reason of the boy across him. A boy he had so much interest in. Lee Jinki is different and he knew it the first time, that first glance in the window. Lee jinki is like a great color of paint that you want to use but you cannot place it in any painting you want. Key quickly drew him . He had been on a SKETCH BLOCK for 2 weeks which is not good because assignments are pouring in. But seeing Jinki- Seeing Onew that day gave him Life again. He looked at him again. 


“ I’ve been in relationships and its messy, you know. You give them an inch and they think they own you.” Jinki is eyeing him and it doesn’t make his point easier to come across. “ feelings get hurt, lives get ruined. Why don’t we just enjoy and save the serious stuff for later.” 

“ and what if you found the one? “ Jinki pressed on, 

“ UH- I think your friend needs you- “ Kibum looked at Jonghyun who was trashing in the Karaoke machine. He had a great voice, but he was screaming too much and he was kneeling down. 

“ THERE’S NO REAAAALLLL LOOOVEEE IN YOUUUUUUUUU!” he screamed. 

“ GOD! He’s drunk !” 

The boy made his way towards his bestfriend who was minutes away to puking his guts out and passing out. Key is behind him as he dragged him outside the venue together with his friends Seungho and Doojoon. 

“ we will take him home, we started the bet. “Seungho admitted the act they did and onew gave them the look that said ‘you kids!!’ 

Jonghyun was slurring and placed his arms on Key and Jinki, squishing them closer. Jinki moved away but Key was jsut trying to keep Jonghyun steady so that they can throw him over to Seungho.

“ You are so much fun Key! Lets do this again okay?”

“ by again, you mean making a scene!! We are just sophomores! And- and- “ Jinki was about to hand him off to seungho byt Jonghyun looked up at key.

“HE LIKES YOU! ONEW LIKES YOU!” he is laughing hysterically as Jinki stood mortified and Key was suddenly fixing his hair. “COME ON MAN! Tell him! Key, he likes you!”

With that, Jinki practically pushed Jonghyun towards the two men who caught him. 

“ I have to get some books from a friend in Mathey, “ he lied. 

“ Is that true?” 

“ wha- yeah, books- cases for my class.” Jinki answered.

“ No, the other one,” Key moved closer.

“ what-“

“ do you, Like Me?” He was not smiling and Jinki has to answer now. 

“ yes, I- I Like you, as a friend- “ he added the last bit in a hurry. 

“ I like you too Jinki, you are interesting.” 

Key placed a kiss on His cheek and Jinki just stood there like a statue and with a touch of Key’s hand on his shoulders he moved again. 

“ I will be out your window.” 


And on the Eight day, they fell inlove. 



------------------------
AUTHOR'S NOTES: 
Read and comment. I would really love it. <3

Be sure to subscribe too! ^^