Fade Away

Motels Down Route 66 || A Jungkook/OC fanfic

“How do you feel about helping me get to the world of the dead, Nari?” Namjoon asked.

 

“Well,” Nari raised her eyebrows and fixed him with a piercing look. “First off, I need to know what that entails before I agree to do anything. ‘Cause if I gotta go find your body in like a sewer then, oh boy, do I have something to tell you.”

 

Namjoon laughed. “No, I was buried properly.”

 

“Oh thank god,” Nari jokingly pretended to wipe sweat from her brow. “Because let me tell you Namjoon. I have had. Quite the rough day. Like for real. It was pretty terrible.”

 

The ghost made a sympathetic noise. “That . Well,” He suddenly brought out a perky tone. “At least you get to end the day with a good deed to a stuck soul.”

 

Nari nodded. “Okay but seriously. What do I need to do?”

 

“I need a screwdriver to fix the lights in this room.”

 

Nari blinked.

 

“…That’s it?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“You just need… A screwdriver.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“And you’ve been stuck here, for like 30 years. Because you can’t get ahold of a screwdriver.”

 

“Pretty much. I’m a boring ghost. I’m only stuck because I was in the middle of a task when I died and I am very stubborn about finishing what I start.”

 

“Wow, okay.” Nari raised her eyebrows and immediately got off the bed. “Well, let me go help you out then. I’d say you’ve waited long enough.”

 

“Thanks Nari.” He smiled and followed her to the door. “There should be some in the maintenance closet at the very end of the hall on the left.”

 

“Got it, I’ll be back in just a second.” She flashed a smile at him before opening the door and shutting it behind her.

 

Just as Namjoon had told her, there was a closet at the very end of the hall with a employees only sign and a door handle that didn’t match the rest. It was an old one that didn’t have a card reader slot and was only openable by a key.

 

Luckily, Nari had been in some tricky situations before and knew had to bend some rules with a bobby pin. She pulled out the one she always kept in her wallet in case of an emergency and jimmied it in the lock until there was a click. The door opened with ease and Nari glanced around the dark, musty, bleach scented closet for a light switch. When she found it, she flipped it on and was met with the sight of a very dirty looking mop inches from her face. 

 

“Oh, that is disgusting,” Nari wrinkled her nose and shoved the mop away from her with the back of her wrist. 

 

Pointedly ignoring the moldy mops, the grubby bottles of bleach, and cobwebs tucked away in the corners of the closet, She grabbed the toolbox from the shelf and hoped it had what Namjoon needed in it.

 

Nari had never helped a ghost get to the spirit world, but somehow, she imagined it being a bit more dramatic and exciting than getting a mechanic a toolbox. 

 

She went back to the room and called out to Namjoon. 

 

“I really hope this is what you wanted.” The ghost appeared in front of her. “I don’t think the janitor’s closet has been cleaned since you died so I would really appreciate it if I didn’t have to go back there.”

 

Namjoon took the toolbox from Nari and quickly inspected it before grabbing a very specific screwdriver. 

 

“This’ll work.” He grunted and got to work. 

 

The ghost opened the panel in the wall and picked up a lose screw at had fallen to the bottom of it. Then he screwed it in where one was missing and flipped a few switches that ran along the side of the panel. He closed it back up and nodded.

 

“That should do it.” Namjoon turned to her. “Would you turn on the light switch for me?”

 

“Roger.” Nari lazily flipped the light switch and the room was illuminated by the ceiling fan’s lights.

 

They waited a moment for the lights to flicker, but nothing happened.

 

“I think you did it, Namjoon.” Nari said very quietly and turned to look at the ghost.

 

“Yeah,” He was looking up at the fixed light with a peaceful, serene expression on his face. After decades of being trapped in place by something so simple, he was finally free. “Yeah, I guess I did.”

 

Slowly, Namjoon’s spirit began to fade out of existence. His fingers and his feet became transparent first, and it spread through the rest of him like invisible ink. He looked at Nari, gave her a grateful smile, before her vanished and she could no longer see him. The thunderstorm left with him and outside the window Nari could see the calm august night that match the one in her own room. 

 

She stood for a minute in the room and took in the silence. For the first time in perhaps decades, the room was completely quiet and she was all alone it. Namjoon truly had moved onto the next world. Nari took one last look at the room before exiting and shutting the door behind her quietly, as if not to disturb the room from it’s new peace. Looking at the door next to the dozens of identical ones, she almost didn’t believe that until just a few minutes ago it had been haunted.

 

Nari closed her eyes for a moment before turning back to her own room and letting herself in.

 

Jungkook had stolen a blanket and pillow from the bed and curled up on the ground away from the bed just like Nari had asked. His back faced her as he slipped peacefully and he wasn’t shifting around as much as he had before. The surprised weariness from her travels made Nari droop in exhaustion. All she wanted to do now was go to bed and sleep peacefully now that Jungkook was shifting around noisily anymore.

 

However, she wasn’t about to do that just yet. She had some business to attend to. 

 

Nari slipped Jungkook’s key card back where she found it and double checked it to make sure it looked like it had been their the whole time. Then, turning around to the boy in question, she padded on over to him before gently kicking him in the side.

 

“What the !” He jolted up out of bed and looked up at her with wide eyes. After taking moment to look at her and make sure she wasn’t a ghost or spirit come to kill him because he dared to rent their hotel room, he glared at her.

 

Before Jungkook could even thing to say something harsh to her, Nari was already walking back to her bed.

 

“I fixed you little ghost problem for you. Go back to your own room; I’m kicking you out.” She informed him as she pushed back her covers.

 

“What? There’s no way you fixed my haunted hotel room.” He said incredulously. 

 

Nari didn’t even look at him as she curled up under her covers and closed her eyes. “Oh, yeah? Why don’t you go check it out yourself, Kiddo? Or are you just too scared to o anything without your mom holding your hand?”

 

“ you,” Jungkook stomped out of the room and slammed the door behind him noisily. Through the walls, she could hear him enter his own room.

 

After a moment though, he hadn’t returned and she heard the groan of the mattress as he went to bed, Nari grinned to herself. 

 

“That’s what I thought, you little ,” She mumbled to Jungkook, even thought she knew he wouldn’t hear, as she fell asleep.

 

***

 

The next morning, Nari woke up very early and went down to raid the free breakfast bar. No one as really attending to it, so she just casually shoved bagels and toast and fruit into her backpack. It was pretty much the best thing ever. 

 

After chowing down on some bacon and sausage for her actual breakfast, Nari headed back to her truck and hit the road again.

 

Hopefully this time she wouldn’t run into that Jungkook kid again.

 

 

A/N: I have so much homework I am dying RIP sunny. I just wanna work on my nano why does my astronomy teacher do this to me? It’s partially my fault though, I went to the B1A4 concert on Sunday and did absolutely no homework because of it. I had a VVIP ticket and got a lot of fan service though so it was totally worth it lol

 

Anyways! Yay, we’ve wrapped up of first ghost subplot! Namjoon is the least interesting of the ghost, but I really kinda just wanted to ease ya’ll into how ghosts work in the universe. We’ll be learning more and more as time goes on, but we gotta start somewhere right?