Eyes closed

A Starving Elite

1.

 

Eyes closed 

 

Life was a son of a . Kyungsoo knew it well and easy.

 

When you believe you are happy, something comes in and snatches it away like an angry woman who found the man who took her purse. It was grey. Not even the colors black and white could be a part of it because life was not one or the other. It was just unfair. Well that's how Kyungsoo viewed it. He always lived by this after his fifteen birthday.

 

Birthdays are celebrations that almost every human looks forward to. A beautiful day to remind you that you are lucky to be alive. Kyungsoo did to enjoy birthdays until one had changed his life forever.

 

He remembers eating cake; it was red velvet. He would kill to get a taste of that right now. Though while enjoying his treat, a throbbing pain met his head. It felt as if an insane gorilla grew hungry and took his anger out on him. His voice screamed in horror as he saw what he had wish he had not seen. A girl was being choked to death by her boyfriend and for some peculiar reason, it was like a countdown because on the next day, he saw it again and the next. That was when his heart stopped when he saw that the girl in his visions was on the news reported to be...dead. 

 

A new storm of feeling overpowered his old ones; guilt. He was responsible for her death and yet he ignored it because he was too scared. Kyungsoo decided that if he ever had a vision again, he would take advantage of it and save the person who was in danger. And he was right. The next vision was a man being hit by a car. Somehow Kyungsoo was able to track the lad down with the minimum of three days which Kyungsoo thought was bull but didn't complain when saved that man’s life on that Tuesday night. 

 

This became a routine for Kyungsoo. For the past five years, he's been a invisible hero even if he could not make it to the victim at times. Twenty people died because of him. He blamed himself but he knew it was impossible; those people were in different countries and he was no rich actor. But compared to the two hundred he saved, twenty wasn't that bad, right? Kyungsoo tried to convince himself that but he always held himself responsible.

Yes, he always wondered where these visions came from and why he was having them. Of course he did research but nothing came about. Though one time he met a boy who claimed to have visions but he turned out to be mentally ill and Kyungsoo lost hope after that.

His abilities to see into the future made his life more difficult. He couldn't hang out with his friends as much he would like because he was too busy saving lives. Imagine making up excuses to people who wanted nothing more than to spend time with you. Even his family were concerned with his odd behavior. He would always tell them to not worry because his absences were all because of school but Kyungsoo knew his family wasn't stupid. He barely graduated out of high school because he always got suspended for his "rude" behavior (Kyungsoo like to say he was just being honest when he told his teacher that her hair looked like a duck had cut it) and he's an average college student so no, school wasn't his main priority. But he needed something to back up his lies.

All Kyungsoo wanted was the visions to stop. He wanted his normal life back. He even prayed to every God there was even if he didn't believe in any of them. Faith was the only thing he wanted but he had learned it to be an imaginary feeling these past years. 

 

A nineteen year old boy was supposed to be out partying and hitting on girls. Not almost dying from severe headaches where he could see death! How much he hated his life was indescribable. Kyungsoo would be satisfied if he was hit by car because it meant everything would be over...and his wish came true but he didn't like it one bit. 

 

He woke up last week with sweat touching his face. A frown met between his brows as he tried to swipe away the wetness but that was the last thing he was worried about when he screamed his lungs out. His eyes were almost close to popping out of its sockets; it had been a new fear he had never felt. His teeth clenched like mad wolf preparing for a wild attack. That was when he saw the sight.

 

He was being stabbed by a boy who looked extremely young. His face was filled with sadness and he whispered an "I'm so sorry." before putting that blade through Kyungsoo's heart. What made it stranger was that the two lads were dressed in all black in an all-white room and a man was watching with a smug smile on his lips. 

 

But instead of a three day countdown, it was a year one and it scared the crap out of Kyungsoo. He flew to his mirror and the wide eyes and mouth gap that his face had made was all he could see. Even a few tears were sliding down. Kyungsoo didn't understand why which did nothing more than put him in more confusion. 

 

"What the hell?"

 

Kyungsoo would be saying that in more aggressive way when he finds himself in an odd place. An odd place meaning where a whole bunch of kids who were in their late teens or early twenties (they weren't kids but Kyungsoo considered them to be one) were standing in front of a castle made of cobblestone. Some were chattering and some were too busy trying to figure where to go. It was almost like festival for a group of freshman who were getting ready for the school year. 

 

Kyungsoo was in this strange place because he walked into his bathroom door...

 

Yes, he excused himself from his family "time" because he had to take a piss but when he opened that door, instead of a toilet, a damn castle with kids surrounding it were the only thing he saw. Out of stupidity, Kyungsoo walked into the room and heard music being played: band music with instruments including pipes, horns, trumpets, sackbuts, bells, and other things he could not recognize. Kyungsoo thought he was in the Renaissance with a damn iPhone in his hand but he wasn't complaining; he always had a thing for this era. He stuffed his phone in his pocket and began to walking to see what the fuss was about. He supposed there wasn't just one attraction because there was stands with people behind them handing out fliers. 

 

Where the hell am I?

 

It repeated multiple times in Kyungsoo's head so he took his question in action. He stopped a guy with backpack that look like it had been through war. "Hey, hey. Whoa, chill out there man." Kyungsoo threw his hands in defense when the guy pulled his fist up to throw a punch. "Take it easy."

 

"What do you want?"

 

Kyungsoo cleared his throat and threw his hands in his jacket pockets. "I was wondering if you knew what this place is. Why is everyone in a rush?"

 

The lad through a baffled beam before scoffing. "This is pride rock. Don't waste my time asking questions like that." He began to walk away but Kyungsoo pulled him back towards him in an aggressive manner. 

 

"Hey, I'm not done talking to you. When I finish then you can leave. Hey, hey, hey calm down," Kyungsoo tried to take the fear from the boy’s face but it didn't leave. He wondered if he was causing the lad to act this way. "What's your name?"

 

"B-Baekhyun." He stutters out. 

 

"Baekhyun? Hey, Baekhyun. I'm Kyungsoo and I'm really confused right now. One minute ago I was going into the bathroom to take a piss and now I'm in this place where there’s hundreds of people. Can you help me? I'm freaking out man."

 

Baekhyun calmed himself and looked at a confused Kyungsoo. He wondered was this guy serious or not but his wonder was left to be untrue when his ability took over. Yes, this man was far lying. Baekhyun knew it. "This is the Pride Rock ceremony for the new arrival elites. Everyone is trying to meet Zachariah so we can figure out which class are we in...What's your ability?"

 

Kyungsoo took in the information bit by bit, not understanding anything of it but he wasn't going to let Baekhyun go until his curiousness was answered. "Ability? Like so some super power?" Baekhyun nodded as if this was the most normal thing ever. Kyungsoo took a deep breath before saying, "I can see when someone dies." Kyungsoo didn't know whether to be relieved or scared. This had been the first time he had ever told anyone his secret, a stranger at that.

 

Baekhyun eyes flew open. "You can see into the future? Holy crap man! You're most definitely going to be in the high class group. I can only tell when someone is lying. Pretty boring compared to yours." He was almost disappointed. 

 

"Yes! High class. What is that?"

 

"It means you guys are the eligible to be in the upcoming war but I don’t know. I've been hearing about that war since I was fifteen and it still never happened...Middle class elites are people who are just back-ups. Low class is just there so the unfortunate won't feel left out."

 

Kyungsoo pursed his lips. "Well that's really nice," He joked. "Okay. High class, got it. Abilities, got it. Elites, don't got it. What the hell is that?" Kyungsoo knew he was probably annoying Baekhyun for playing student but he didn’t care.

 

"Elites are the chosen children. We all have our own unique abilities and that's why we come to Pride Rock to learn more about ourselves. Now come on. I can't afford to be late. We need find which class we are in from Zachariah!" Baekhyun pulled Kyungsoo by the wrist and started running which surprised the both of them.  

 

Kyungsoo took notice of the diversion of the crowd. All kinds of races was here taking their spot. Kyungsoo didn’t mind this. Instead, he found it comforting that no one was divided. He always believed everyone should come together in bad situations if this was even considered a bad one.

 

Kyungsoo looked at the lad who had a hard grip on his wrist. Baekhyun wasn’t tall but he wasn’t short either. He had a mop of cinnamon brown hair with puppy like eyes and a smile of douchebag. This is how Kyungsoo saw him which he didn’t have the right to judge because he was far worse than Baekhyun.

 

“Aw man. I knew this line was going to be long but never did I think it would be longer than the Great Wall of China.” Baekhyun complained with a satisfying pout.

 

“Well, I can’t say I’m surprised,” Kyungsoo confirmed, “What do we do when we find out which class we are in?”

 

“We go inside the castle and find our rooms.”

 

Kyungsoo eyes went wide at the new information. “You mean stay here permanently?”

 

“Two years only. Then we go back home.”

 

“Home? Wait. Your family know about your gift?”

 

Baekhyun nodded proudly. Kyungsoo wondered why that was. “Of course! When I was 10 they told me I would be given a gift on my fifteen birthday like everyone else here. We’re the chosen children, Kyungsoo. How can you not know that?”

 

So did his parents know about his abilities? If so, why keep it a secret? Kyungsoo thought he was crazy for the longest of time and his parents knew about his sudden change of behavior so why did they not tell him? Or did they even know? “I can’t stay here for two years, Baekhyun. I have a family, school, and a life. I don’t want to learn about my ability because it won’t do me no good. It’ll be with me for the rest of my life.”

 

Baekhyun raised a brow. “Your gift isn’t a lifelong thing. The longest you can have it is ten years that’s why we must take advantage of it.”

 

Now Kyungsoo was raising a brow. “What? How do you even know all this?”

 

“How do you not?” He shot back.

 

Kyungsoo let the conversation end at that point. No point in trying to make you seem crazy then you had already came off. Am I right?

 

Kyungsoo didn’t want to stay here and play gift with Baekhyun and this so called Zachariah. He wanted to go into his bathroom and finish his business and then complain to his dad about him not telling his own son he had abilities even if should have been the one telling secrets (he would complain about it to his mom but he didn’t want to die). He just couldn’t fathom the idea of staying in place filled with nut jobs for two years. Two years of what? Baekhyun said something about learning but that wouldn’t do Kyungsoo no good. He knew it well.

 

After what seemed like eternity, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were now two people away from Zachariah. They had even met a giant that goes by the name of Chanyeol. Nothing but chatter they did which Kyungsoo could not argue about. He actually found the two amusing which was odd because they both irritated him. They argued if he was cute or not; Baekhyun said yes. Chanyeol said no. Kyungsoo mentally cursed them both for being so stupid. The argument made him uncomfortable only because he never thought someone arguing over his appearance would be comforting at all.

 

Kyungsoo nearly jumped out his chest when he heard Zachariah yell. He was standing on a poorly built wood stand for two people to stand on. He touched whoever he had hearts and closed his eye before screaming which class someone was in. But this time it was different…it wasn’t an obnoxious yell, it was a yell of amazement. Kyungsoo stood on the tip of his toes to get a good look at the burst of sound and just when he thought everything was somewhat okay…it wasn’t.

 

Kyungsoo saw the boy from his vision. The one who had a put a blade through his heart. He was tall with an interesting curl of brown hair. His skin was bronzed like a medal and even his dark eyes was appealing. Is this really my killer? Kyungsoo wondered and hoped it not to be.

 

“This man right here is a high class student! He can read minds! Oh my. I’ve never seen anything like this!” Zachariah shouted happily as the lad in front him payed him no mind. He wore a bad expression filled uncaring thoughts.

 

The fellow jumped down and pulled his hands in his pockets. Kyungsoo watched him annoyingly. Just the actions of this guy pissed him off. He asked for a lot of things and asking for his killer to not be a prick was one of them. Out of anger, Kyungsoo walked up to the lad and grabbed him by the shoulders. “Why the hell- Who…Never mind.” Kyungsoo push the boy from his hold and gave him a good look.

 

Nothing about him changed.

 

Still the same expressionless face. Not giving a care in the world.

 

“Kyungsoo, what’s wrong with you?” Baekhyun called out in panic. Kyungsoo could tell he made a big uproar by the silence. Everyone eyes touched his even Zachariah was left shocked. He cleared his throat now feeling embarrassed.

 

“Sorry.” He murmured.

 

Zachariah rolled his eyes before shouting about the next person and soon everyone went back to the side of noise but one thing did not changed…the boy that Kyungsoo had grabbed. He took a step closer and looked his grabber in the eye. “Don’t you ever touch me again or something bad will happen. I can guarantee you.” This was all he said. He left Kyungsoo who would usually have a witty comeback but instead he listened and knew he would never mess with that kid again even if he hated that fact.

 

A moment later, it was Baekhyun turn to meet Zachariah. Chanyeol had left the stand with boot in his mouth; he was ranked in the low class and Kyungsoo didn’t understand why. Being able to track down anyone should be well appreciated. It was way more interesting than Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Middle class!” Zachariah shouted as a smile touched Baekhyun’s lips. He jumped happily down from the stand and shot a mocking smirk at Chanyeol.

 

“Oh trust me the only reason why you were ranked in middle class is because Zachariah have the hot’s for you. You know there’s a rumor that he swings that way.” The giant said.

 

“You’re disgusting. You know that right?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed before being called up to the stand. His palms grew wet as his heart pounded fiercely against his chest. He was sure life was angry with him because his nerves were sky rocket. What sin did he commit to deserve this?

 

Once Kyungsoo was on the stand, he felt all eyes on him. Even his bastard killer was watching. Kyungsoo took a hard swallow as he felt Zachariah put his hand on his heart. Nothing changed, it was beating like an angry wasp but he did feel a slight burn touching his forehead.

 

“Oh dear.” Zachariah whispered in astonishment. He turned Kyungsoo around and looked him in the face with nothing more than eyes larger than life. “I’ve never seen anything like this,” He confirmed before turning Kyungsoo back to face the crowd. “This boy! He can when someone dies and has a minimum of three days to save that person. What an extraordinary ability!”

 

The crowd surprisingly clapped with a lot of wows and amazing’s. Kyungsoo felt overwhelmed because being the center of attention was never his idea of comfort. He gave a crocked smile and met the eyes of the boy he was most curious about. It was the first time he had seen the lad with a different expression. Instead of the lifeless eyes, they were pleased and he even wore a smile. Kyungsoo wondered why this was.

 

He wondered who this kid was and why their battle had led to one killing the other… 

 

 

 

Hi! I thought this chapter would be longer but it wasn't unfortunately. I know everything is kinda confusing but it will be explained later on. I don't really have alot to say because this is the first chapter but thanks for subscribing before I even uploaded! Subscribe. Upvote. Comment. Thanks! - Alex