Bonsai

With You
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

It was my birthday, the fifth day of August. It passed two years since Jimin went to Busan in order to become a dancer along with Kookie. He always came back on Christmas and Easter so we could be together at those times and when he was gone, we chatted every day through phone or Skype, however, it wasn't the same. Every time we said goodbye, a little voice inside my head yelled at me that I missed him, his warmth, his touch, his gentle embrace and his kind eyes. I missed him so much that it almost turned unbearable, like the first time he told me that he was going to leave. But then, that immense sadness faded away like smoke, it only remained happy and wonderful memories. It wasn't the end of the world after all since I knew that he was always thinking about me like I thought of him.

Yoona was doing a great job with suppressing her sadness too. I invited her to come on vacations with my family to Incheon. Every day, we went to the Eurwangni Beach, where we had lost of fun and joy. The beach itself was wonderful, full of time people and even the famous Korean Wrestling Festival was fun. My father participated too, even if he lost at the same time he put his feet on the ring. 

Taehyung and Hoseok were also having fun. They told us that they were going to Busan with Jin and Mrs. Park, they invited us to go with them, but we were at Incheon that time so we couldn't go.

 

At that moment, I was at my backyard with Zelo on my lap while listening to music.It was a very good summer morning to stay in my room, the sky was blue, there were no clouds, the sun was shining brightly and a gentle breeze ran through the trees, making them wiggle their branches softly. I was listening "My Answer" from EXO when I started to remember my previous birthdays. I always celebrated that day with my family and closest friends, but deep down in my head, I wanted Jimin to be there this year.

I sighed sadly.I wanted to spend that day with him too, I thought it would be the best present that could replace one thousand of them, on other words, it was my biggest wish. However, I could only dream about it. The last time we talked on Skype, I could see clearly in his eyes that he was tired and sad. He got a job a few weeks ago in a gadget store with Kookie in order to be more independent from their parents' money. I understood right away that he couldn't come even if he wanted to. I was sad, but I couldn't be selfish, a job is a job and it's way more important than a silly birthday wish.

"Oh well," I sighed once again. "There's nothing we can do about it, Besides, I think that he'd forgotten."

Probably sensing my sadness, Zelo jumped towards my face, his whiskers were tickling me.

"Alright, alright, I won't be sad around you anymore." I chuckled. "You've got pretty sensitive, didn't you?"

Some minutes after, I headed towards the kitchen to chop some carrots for Zelo. My mother was there washing the dishes and my father was snoring upstairs. We were going to have lunch at my uncle's restaurant and all my family would be there. I still had a few hours before it so I decided to go to the park by myself for refreshing my thoughts.

"Hey mom, I'm going to jog at the park, okay?" I asked her.

"Don't take too long, we're supposed to be at the restaurant in two hours."

"You should wake Dad up, or else you won't going to make it in time." I chuckled hearing the snoring sounds.

"You're right." My mom smiled. 

I left the house after getting dressed for jogging. With the earphones already in place, there was just a matter of time until I reached the park near my neighborhood. At that time of the day, there were a lot of people walking with their children or jogging. I even spotted Kwangho, a classmate of mine. We jogged and made some physical exercises together, like squatting or flexibility for a while and then we ran into separate ways.

"Hey, Eunsoo!" He shouted.

"Yes?"

"Happy birthday!"

"Thanks!" I shouted.

"Remember, a good amount of sweat is good for the body and for the mind!" 

"Okay." I chuckled.

That moments at the park really freshen me up. I felt more relieved and happy somehow. As I returned home, I took a shower and got dressed for lunch. 

 

At my uncle's restaurant, I could relax and pass a good time with my family. There were a lot of members that year, some got married, some had a child so it became that day very lively and cheerful. Everyone congratulated me and gave me a present or an amount of money. I'd always reassured them that I didn't want anything, but I had to accept them for their feelings towards me. At that moment, we were having a cheerful talk about my future.

"Tell me Eunsoo." My grandmother started. "Which university are you attending?"

"I'm at Korea's Nacional University, in the Fine Arts department," I answered.

"Oh, so you want to be an artist?" My aunt asked.

"To be frank with you, I still don't know."

"What do you mean dear?"

"I like to draw and paint, but something tells me that it's not my destiny to be a painter. I just don't know what my dream job is yet."

"I understand sweetheart." My grandmother said. "There's plenty of time until of graduate so do some research about the right profession for you."

"Yes, grandma." I smiled at her. "Pardon me, I have to go to the restroom."

I grabbed my phone and checked if there was something. There were two messages from Yoona and a missed call from Mrs. Park.

"There's nothing from Jimin..." I stayed there looking at the screen. "Of course there's nothing, he has more important things to worry about."

I returned the call to Mrs. Park. She wanted to wish me a good day and that she had a present for me at her place so she asked me to go there later. Of course, I accepted her offer, it had passed two weeks since the last time I saw her.  Also, she could have some news from Jimin - not like he would tell me if there was something important.  

 After lunch, my family stayed at my uncle's restaurant while I headed home. I explained to them that I was going to meet Yoona at the mall for shopping before my father's barbecue birthday dinner. I wore a comfortable outfit and went to the bus stop. The weather of that evening was perfect, it wasn't so hot like that morning, a gentle breeze ran around me, refreshing my skin. I looked up to the sky and sighed.

"I wonder what you're doing now, I really miss you Jimin." I murmured.

"C'mon Eunsoo, can you stop thinking about him for the next three hours?" A cheerful and well-known voice said. "He's doing fine, don't worry about him that much."

"Yoona,"  I looked at her and smiled. "you're late."

"Sorry, I was talking with Jungkook on the phone. He seemed exhausted."

"Since he's working too, I wouldn't judge."

"Yeah," She said cheerfully. " Anyway, let's not think about it because it's your special day! What do you want to do?"

"Hmmm..." 

We were going to the mall, but we could spend some time without buying clothes. At the mall, there were very playgrounds, like bowling, mini hockey, and a games area. I wanted to try something unusual, which I've never done.

"Let's go bowling," I said.

"Bowling?" Yoona raised an eyebrow. "Have you go bowling sometime?"

"No, but I wanted to try it."

"That's very... not normal coming from you." She chuckled. "But I like the idea."

Yoona grabbed my hand and we headed to the bowling alley. There, a lot of teenagers and young adults were throwing the ball and striking, some of them fell in the lanes because their hands were stuck on the ball's slots. They ended up next to the pins, it was so hilarious that I even cried from laughing so hard. I

Please log in to read the full chapter