Chapter 1

The Boy with the Beautiful Lips

  I hate when a new boy group debuts because they are the talk of the school. All of the girls in the halls are swooning over them and the boys want to be them. Everybody’s focus is on whatever group it is. I wonder who will be the talk of the week. I walk through the school gates and hear a group of girls talking about a rumored boy group debut. ‘Oh my, here we go again,’ I think to myself. I keep walking towards the school doors and only hear one other group of people talking about the rumored debut.

  Once I get through the school doors, I notice that the bell is ringing. Was it that late already? I get into class and take my normal seat in the back where you can hear all the gossip going on. The teacher comes in a couple minutes late and takes attendance. One student was missing, Choi Su bin. Su bin? Absent? That’s unusual. Su Bin is known for never missing a day of school. I hear a girl that is sitting close to me whisper that she wanted to see her today because Su Bin had found the new boy group’s debut music video leak. I guess Su Bin got sick. I’ll go visit her after school.

  School ends and as I am walking out I notice that some girls are asking if anyone saw their friend around and are describing the accessories she is wearing. A boy answers that he saw her go onto the rooftop to watch the music video on her phone during lunch but she never came down. I slow my walking once I hear that. It seems weird. Her friends thank him and guess that maybe she went home early because she wasn’t feeling well.

  I begin my walk to Su Bin’s house. We went to all the same grades and all the same schools so we know each other pretty well. I make it there after about 8 minutes of walking and notice a couple more cars than usual at her house. I walk up to the door and knock on it. Her older sister opens it with tears in her eyes. “What’s wrong? Did something happen,” I ask frantically. She answers, “Su Bin went missing last night. We think she ran away.” “Is there anything I can do,” I decide to offer my help. “Just keep on the lookout for her please,” she asks. I nod my head and walk away a bit confused. Why is everyone going missing? I can’t worry too much, I have other things to focus on.

  I walk out of my house the next morning to see a police car at my neighbors’ house. Strange. I walk to school and again as I walk through the gates I hear another group talking about the leaked video and a few other people who went missing. In class, 4 other people were absent, two were best friends and the other two were really quiet like me. Through the day, hear about 3 more students going missing. The number keeps increasing.

  I go home and suddenly get curious as to why everyone is disappearing after watching the music video, so I go online to find the link. After a little searching, I found it on a newly made fan blog for the group, UP10TION. They have a unique name. I click the link and begin watching. The video start with the boys standing in a circle surrounding another with sirens and helicopter sounds in the background. It’s creepy if you ask me. A cool dance sequence starts and I get lost in the boys’ moves. The dance sequence ends and the boys start appearing in the empty room in black smoke of some sort. Interesting. I watch the music video for a little while and notice someone interesting a bit into the video. He is so beautiful to me and I find myself staring at his luscious lips. The video pauses itself there and I am hypnotized as I stare at the boy. I begin to feel dizzy and like someone is pulling me towards the screen. The dizziness increases and then I see black.

  I am awake but I don’t want to open my eyes. I finally force myself to open them so that I could look at my surroundings. I force them open, but only to see one of the boys from the music video standing over me with his eyes squinted as if he was judging me. Even in my puzzled state, I give him a confused look hoping that he would stop. Neither of us said a word. “Wooshin,” I hear someone call from off in the distance. The red haired boy’s features soften and I finally relax a bit. I come to the conclusion that Wooshin is the boy’s name. Wooshin goes away quietly without saying anything to me. I don’t want to sit up because I don’t want to take in my surroundings. I already know that I am in the music video. I just close my eyes and hope that I fall asleep and wake up at home.

  I sleep for a short while before I feel someone tap my arm. I ignore the touch at first. Then the person pokes my eyelid to check to see if I am sleeping. Of course it twitches, I’m awake. He tells me, “Get up.” I sit up and then open my eyes. The boy who had woken me up was Wooshin and I was still in whatever world this was. He holds out his hand and helps me to stand. Still holding my hand, he leads me across the room and we begin walking down a long hallway.

  “You will feel dizzy for the next day or so but it will get better,” he tells me soullessly as we walk. I tell him that I have to get back home quickly and to that he doesn’t respond. I conclude from that and what happened earlier that he doesn’t talk much, like me. “Where am I,” my curiosity finally takes over. “Don’t ask, don’t worry,” is all he says to me. I just nod and let him guide me. I feel like we have been walking for ages and look back to see the entrance we came through fading slowly in the distance. His steps come to a stop and I hit his back because I was looking behind us. He types in some sort of code into the keypad next to the door.

  The door opens and I see the boy that I got hypnotized with sitting at a table in the middle of the room. Wooshin leads me to the chair across from the boy and pushes my shoulders as if telling me to sit. I turn around and watch Wooshin leave the room without saying a word. I turn back around to the front to face the boy. He truly is beautiful. “What is your name,” he asks me. I answer nervously, “J- JiSun.” He simply nods his head in response, his beautiful eyes staring into my soul. Since he seems like he is paying attention I take my chance to ask questions. I ask him the same question I asked Wooshin earlier. “Where am I?” I get the same simple answer as I got from Wooshin. “Don’t ask, don’t worry.” “What is your name? Why am I here?” I can think of a million other questions to ask him, but I stop myself. He answers me, “My name is Jinhoo. You are my wife.” I nod my head and then realize an important word that came out of his mouth.

  I ask, “Wife?” He nods at me with a look on his face that said ‘Did you not hear me?’ I just look down at the floor and try to begin to take in everything. This is why the girls were going missing. They got into this world after watching the music video. “Where are the others?” He points to the door and begins explaining. “The world you are in is called LOEN. We are aliens. Our human wives were chosen by our parents when we were born. But to get them to our world we used a ‘music video’. Your friends are here. That is all you need to know for now. Go outside the door to Wooshin, he will lead you to our living quarters.” I walk out and let Wooshin lead me.

  I wash up and then put on some of the clothing provided for me. I climb into the bed to think about everything that had happened in the last hour or so. My life has completely changed. Alien’s wife? Okay. A tall boy comes in to give me a shot in my arm and, like Wooshin, doesn’t say much. He only says that it would help me sleep. I begin to feel tired and my eyes start to close. I feel Jinhoo climb into bed with me and he falls asleep as soon as his body hits the mattress. I stare at his features for a while and take in how beautiful he is. I don’t think I mind being married to an alien since he is this beautiful. I don’t even mind this new life. He will just be the boy with the beautiful lips to me.