Final

Vampire Clans

“Taekwoon,” Sanghyuk sighed, watching as his oldest brother paced the roof, “can you cut it out? You’re starting to get me stressed out.”

“They should have been here by now,” Taekwoon replied, pausing just long enough to glare at the city’s skyline before going back to pacing.

“They’re only twenty minutes late,” Hongbin, Sanghyuk’s other brother, pointed out, “totally understandable with all the hunter patrols recently.”

“Which is also a reason to be worried,” Taekwoon huffed, “I’m not about to let our brother become part of a clan that can’t protect themselves from hunters.”

“If this Hakyeon guy doesn’t show up,” Hongbin pointed out, “then it doesn’t matter. The deal is Hakyeon or nothing.”

“And they’re becoming part of our clan,” Sanghyuk clarified, “I’m still a Jung clan member. I’ll always be a Jung clan member.”

“Thank god for that,” Taekwoon muttered.

The oldest of the Jung ‘children’ had made it no secret that he was against this union the second the clan leader announced it. But then, he’d been against all the other suitors who’d come looking for Sanghyuk’s hand, so the leader had dismissed him. Their clan was at odds with the Kim clan and desperately needed assistance in the fight. The Cha clan was dying out, but those who remained were strong fighters.

It was a perfect match and Sanghyuk wasn’t going to stand against it. His clan needed this.

Besides, it wasn’t like he was going to go live in the Cha household. He got to keep his home, stay close to his family. No, his soon to be mate would be the one moving. And if things went well, the rest of his clan would move into Jung clan homes as well.

“We’re late,” the three vampires turned to find two young men making their way over, both looking rather disheveled.

“You are Jung clan members, right?” the more tan of the pair clarified.

“We are,” Taekwoon nodded, tone all business and not betraying his personal distain for whichever of the pair would be taking his little brother as a mate. Hongbin and Sanghyuk could see, however, the cracks in his professional poker face.

“I’m Jaehwan,” the first spoke before nodding to the tan vampire, “and this is Hakyeon.”

“Hello,” Hakyeon bowed slightly before looking over the three siblings, trying to identify which one was his future mate.

The one who’d identified them as members of the Jung clan was scary, especially with his glare focused on Hakyeon. The tallest of the three looked pretty scary too, eyes intense and judging as he looked over Hakyeon. The one in the middle didn’t look scary or intimidating at all, not with the small smile on his face as he watched Hakyeon and Jaehwan.

“I am Taekwoon,” Taekwoon said before waving to Hongbin standing between himself and Sanghyuk, “This is my brother, Hongbin.” Sanghyuk bit back a hiss when Hakyeon looked a little disappointed that Hongbin wasn’t his future mate. Hongbin was attractive, that much was for sure. Countless vampires and humans had tried to win his heart over the centuries. It was only natural that Hakyeon would want the work of art that was Hongbin over someone like Sanghyuk.

“Greetings,” Hongbin smiled, bowing his head ever so slightly.

“This is my youngest brother, Sanghyuk,” Taekwoon said, clearly very reluctant to draw Hakyeon’s attention to Sanghyuk. Especially when he caught Hakyeon’s disappointment with the reveal that Hongbin was not going to be his mate.

Sanghyuk suddenly didn’t feel like say anything to Hakyeon, simply bowing his head slightly before turning to Taekwoon for guidance on what to do now. He wanted to leave, to go home, more than anything at that moment.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Hakyeon said, trying to smile after Sanghyuk’s obvious brush off.

“I’ve got to leave,” Jaehwan said, “our clan looks forewords to hearing from yours about mating ceremony details.”

“We’ll send word soon,” Taekwoon replied.

“Be careful,” Jaehwan reminded Hakyeon before he left, “don’t do anything careless and mess this up, Hakyeon. Our clan needs this to work.”

“I know,” Hakyeon smiled sadly and then Jaehwan was gone.

“Let’s go,” Taekwoon said, not sparing Hakyeon another glance, “try to keep up.”

Hakyeon watched as Taekwoon left in a flash, Sanghyuk following a second later without even looking back.

“He doesn’t mean to be so standoffish,” Hongbin assured Hakyeon, “Well, Sanghyuk doesn’t. Taekwoon.....it’s not that he doesn’t like you, it’s just that he doesn’t think anyone is good enough for Sanghyuk. He’s.....he’s our baby brother and we’re both protective of him.”

“I get it,” Hakyeon nodded. He had younger ‘siblings’ at home and felt the same way about them.

“Sanghyuk, well,” Hongbin sighed, “he saw how you looked when you found out who I was. He’s.....he’s used to people looking at me or Taekwoon and then looking at him and seeing him as less then. But that doesn’t make it hurt any less.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon winced, “I just....Sanghyuk looked so tall and intimidating. Not as much as Taekwoon, but still pretty scary. You...you didn’t look scary, so......I was kind of hoping that it was you.”

“Understandable,” Hongbin laughed, “between the three of us, I guess I do look the least scary.”

“I should apologize to Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon decided, “explain why I had hoped it was you.”

“At the house,” Hongbin told him, looking up at the sky, “dawn is growing closer with every passing second and I do not want to be caught out outside when the sun starts to shine.”

 

--

 

“Hello again,” Hakyeon tried to smile as he opened his bedroom door to find Sanghyuk on the other side, “I, um, see we’re sharing a room.”

“The clan leader decided it made more sense,” Sanghyuk replied, returning his attention to his book, “since we’ll be mates by the end of the month.”

“Right,” Hakyeon tried to smile, but was met with Sanghyuk ignoring him, “um, can we....can we talk?”

“Well,” Sanghyuk scoffed, “it would be an awful long existence together if we didn’t.”

“That isn’t want I meant,” Hakyeon sighed, “I mean I want to talk to you about before. When we were introduced to each other.”

“Then talk away,” Sanghyuk sighed, finally putting down his book, “please, explain away how you wished that Hongbin was the one to become your mate.”

“That wasn’t it,” Hakyeon scowled, “at least not for the reasons your thinking. You and Taekwoon both looked so intimidating, Hongbin looked nice and welcoming. I just......I’m leaving my clan, my friends and family, and I arrive on that roof after getting chased by a hunter and I find two scary looking vampires and another who actually looks happy to see me. Why wouldn’t I want the one who looks happy to see me to be my mate?”

“I was happy to see you,” Sanghyuk muttered, scowling at the book in his lap, “so sorry I didn’t show it.”

“No,” Hakyeon sighed, moving to sit beside Sanghyuk, “you weren’t happy to see me. I...I get the feeling that you don’t want this mating, not really. You’re only going along with it because that’s what’s expected of you.”

“Um,” Sanghyuk averted his eyes, a clear signal that Hakyeon was dead on, “well........no. No, I’m not doing this because I want to. This mating and everything that will come of it.....our clans need it. My clan needs this to work. I.......I can’t say no.”

Hakyeon wasn’t sure what to say exactly to that. At least they were in the same boat, both going along with this mating because it was what was best for their clans.

“Maybe this will work out for us,” Hakyeon finally said, “I mean, maybe....maybe we’ll at least end up being friends.”

“Maybe,” Sanghyuk nodded, but internally he decided he wanted no part of Hakyeon. This mating was simply because of his clan, because it would keep his family safe. Other than that, it meant nothing to him and neither did Hakyeon.

 

--

 

“Taekwoon,” the leader of the Kim clan growled from the other side of the roof, “what, might I ask, made you call this meeting?” the leader smirked slightly, “changing sides? Or has your clan realized fighting mine is a lost cause.”

“I’ve only come to deliver news that my leader wished for you to hear, Wonsik” Taekwoon replied, trying to hide his loathing for the other.

“Then deliver your news,” the leader, Wonsik, huffed, “and be gone.”

“It has been arranged for one of the Jung clan to mate with a member of the Cha clan,” Taekwoon said, taking no small amount of joy in the worried look that appeared on the other’s face.

“Who has been ordered into this mating?” Wonsik finally asked, a horrible feeling in his gut telling him that he knew exactly who it was.

“Sanghyuk,” Taekwoon said, “is to be mated with Hakyeon of the Cha clan.”

The pair fell silent for a moment before the sound of something breaking filled the air. Taekwoon scowled as he watched Wonsik clutch the ledge of the roof so hard that it started to shatter and crack.

“He will not survive to the mating ritual,” Wonsik promised.

“Just try to hurt him,” Taekwoon scoffed, “Hakyeon is under my clan’s protection. You’ll never even get close to him.”

“It’s funny,” Wonsik smirked, “this whole mating thing.....we wouldn’t even have to deal with it if you’d have just let me take Sanghyuk all those years ago. Our clans would be brothers and the.....disagreements that have lead to our current situation wouldn’t be a problem.”

“You act like you’re worthy of my brother,” Taekwoon scoffed.

“And this Hakyeon is?” Wonsik countered, “How long has it been, Taekwoon, since Sanghyuk was first turned? And you have never found someone worth of him. What makes Hakyeon different from the rest of us?”

“I never said that he was worthy,” Taekwoon smirked slightly, “just that something like you wasn’t.”

“You worthless leech,” Wonsik growled, eyes turning black in his anger, “I should rip you apart.”

“And then Sanghyuk would kill you,” Taekwoon’s smirk grew, “he’d know right away who took my life, our leader would make sure of that. We both know Sanghyuk is a hundred times more deadly than either of us, especially when his target has caused harm to his family.”

Wonsik fell silent, knowing that Taekwoon was right. Even though Sanghyuk was younger than either of them, he was stronger than both combined. And that strength seemed to grow when he was protecting his beloved brothers. If Wonsik touched Taekwoon wrong, Sanghyuk would pay their past no mind as he ripped Wonsik apart.

Taekwoon nodded, satisfied that Wonsik would do nothing more. For at least the next few nights anyway. Taekwoon was no fool, he knew that Wonsik wouldn’t give up, he’d think of something to get Sanghyuk all to himself.

Taekwoon would just have to work hard to ensure that never happened.

 

--

 

“Oh,” Hakyeon quickly turned around and covered his eyes, “I’m sorry, I didn’t realize you were--.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes, trying to pretend that he didn’t find Hakyeon’s actions a bit cute, “we’re going to be mated soon. It’s expected that you’ll have seen me in nothing but my underwear by the end of the year. Expected that you’ll have seen me in less by the morning after our mating ceremony.”

“But that’s after the mating,” Hakyeon huffed, eyes still covered and back still turned, “this is now, before the mating.”

“You’re such a child,” Sanghyuk smirked, “acting like walking in on me without a shirt and pants undone is such a big deal.”

“I’m not a child,” Hakyeon scowled, finally turning around so that he could glare at Sanghyuk, “I’m just trying to preserve your purity.”

“My purity?” Sanghyuk failed to suppress his laughter at that, “what do you take me for? A nun who’s never been touched by another?”

“What?” Hakyeon gasped, “you….you’ve been….been….”

“I’ve kiss before,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “and touched another a time or two. Never full , naturally, but I’m not some innocent .” Sanghyuk paused, “…….are you…….?”

“There was never any reason to do anything,” Hakyeon said, looking down in embarrassment as his cheeks flushed red, “I was always more focused on other things anyway.”

“Like your clans decreasing numbers,” Sanghyuk nodded, deciding to cut the poor vampire before him some slack, “that’s to be understood.”

“I guess,” Hakyeon looked up and flashed Sanghyuk a nervous smile, “It’s kind of fortunate that my…my mate knows a few things. At least we won’t be stumbling around blindly, unsure of what to do, after the ceremony.”

“True,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly before grabbing a shirt and heading out, “I’m going hunting with my brothers. I’ll see you before sun’s first light.”

“See you then,” Hakyeon nodded, “be careful and feed well.”

Once Sanghyuk was gone, Hakyeon collapsed on the bed, hiding his face in his hands. His mind kept bringing up the image of shirtless Sanghyuk and Hakyeon could feel his blush growing. He’d been trying to deny it for the past week, but he could no longer convince himself of his lie. He had developed a crush on his soon to be mate.

It felt so much like one of those human dramas he’d been forced to watch back home by Jaehwan. He’d laughed back then as he watched the foolish humans fall in love so quickly with another. He’d openly mocked them for falling so easily into love with someone before they even really knew them. It would only lead to heartache as for as he was concerned.

And yet he was just as foolish as them.

Even if it was just a simple crush, it was on Sanghyuk who he would spend eternity beside. This crush would grow into love, Hakyeon knew it, and then he would be in love with Sanghyuk. Sanghyuk, however, would not love him in return. At least that was why Hakyeon thought.

He’d made several attempts to befriend the other this past week and Sanghyuk managed to brush him off for most of them. It was clear that Sanghyuk held little interest in becoming friends. At least for now. Maybe later, once they had been mated, he would change his mind. For now, though, that was not something Sanghyuk wanted.

There was no way love could bloom from this kind of beginning. In one of those cheesy dramas Jaehwan loved so much, yes. But this was real life and real life did not mirror dramas often.

 

--

 

“Everyone,” the clan leader called out, his voice quickly silencing the voices of all others in the room, “I am sure you all know why I have called this meeting.”

“You are informing us of the date of the mating, correct?” a vampire Hakyeon recognized as Sanghyuk’s father spoke up.

“Yes,” the leader nodded, “I have already sent someone out to inform the Cha clan of the date. I shall tell you all the same bit of news now.” The leader cleared his throat and Hakyeon felt himself tensing in anticipation, “the mating ceremony shall be held one week from tonight. I expect everyone to work hard to ensure that the ceremony goes well.”

“Yes, sir,” Hakyeon quickly joined everyone else in bowing, trying to pretend that he wasn’t anxious about the date being so soon.

Sanghyuk didn’t even like him and within a week they would be bound together for eternity.

As if to prove Hakyeon’s thoughts correct, Sanghyuk fled the room as soon as the leader said that everyone could return to their own business. Hakyeon watched him go for a moment before turning his attention to the vampires coming over to congratulate him.

Because being mated to someone who didn’t want you was something to be proud of.

 

--

 

“A week,” Sanghyuk sighed, “and then I’ll be forever mated to someone for the sake of the clan.”

“It will be alright,” Hongbin assured him, “Hakyeon isn’t a bad guy, he’s really nice.”

“I know that,” Sanghyuk sighed, “He’s very kind and sweet. That isn’t the point though.”

“What is the point?” Hongbin asked even though he had a pretty good idea that he knew the answer.

“I always thought that when I mated with someone,” Sanghyuk sighed, “it would be because I love them. Because I want to spend eternity with them. This……this isn’t what I ever thought would happen.”

“You could talk to leader,” Hongbin said, “I’m sure he’ll understand. And there are plenty of others in our clan who would take your place.”

“No,” Sanghyuk sighed, “it’s too late for that. Far too late. I already agreed and the plans are all set. I can’t back out anymore. Our clan needs this so much, if I suddenly changed my mind the plans would be pushed back and the Cha clan could back out completely, offended by my change of heart, and……..and it’s not worth it.”

“Oh, Sanghyukkie,” Hongbin sighed, moving to hug his brother, “I’m so sorry.”

“Hongbin,” Sanghyuk asked, “why haven’t you ever mated with someone?”

“What?” Hongbin blinked, “where is this coming from?”

“I was just wondering,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “I’ve never seen you with anyone for longer than a week or so, so……..I’m curious. Are you waiting for someone, or do you have no interest in finding a mate like dad?”

“Never given it a lot of thought,” Hongbin shrugged, “I guess maybe, someday, I’ll find someone I want to become mates with.”

“I always thought like that,” Sanghyuk sighed sadly, “I always thought I’d eventually met someone I liked enough to mate with. I guess…….I waited too long.”

“You’ll find someone,” Hongbin promised, “and if they’re really supposed to be the one for you, then they’ll understand why you can’t mate with them. Why you’re already mated to Hakyeon.” Hongbin paused before adding something else, “or maybe you’ll fall in love with Hakyeon and decide that this mating was the best thing that could ever happen to you.”

Sanghyuk grunted before snuggling into the older vampire’s arms.

 

--

 

“Taekwoon!” Hakyeon bit back the urge to scream when he opened his bedroom door to find Taekwoon sitting by the window looking at the moon.

“I expected you here at least an hour ago,” Taekwoon replied, “the way you looked when the date for the mating ceremony was announced, I would have thought you’d come straight here.”

“I was hungry,” Hakyeon explained, “and I got caught up with some of your clan members congratulating me.”

“Hmmm,” Taekwoon nodded before waving for Hakyeon to take a seat.

“So,” Hakyeon said, unsure of exactly what to say, “um, why are you here. I mean, Sanghyuk should still be with Hongbin, right? So if you wanted to see him…….”

“I wanted to talk to you,” Taekwoon said, finally giving Hakyeon his full attention, “about Wonsik, the leader of the Kim clan.”

“Alright,” Hakyeon nodded, “but I already know a lot about him.”

“What do you know?” Taekwoon questioned.

“Not much,” Hakyeon admitted, “just that he’s blood thirsty and violent. And that he’s been around for a long time.”

“So just general stuff,” Taekwoon said, “I have to explain why he hates you.”

“What?” Hakyeon gasped, “What the heck did I do? I’ve never met Wonsik before. Ever spoken to him or seen him or anything. Why would he hate me?”

“Because,” Taekwoon explained, “ages ago Wonsik was part of our clan.”

“What?”

“I’ll start from the very beginning ,” Taekwoon explained, “Wonsik was turned by the one who turned me shortly after I turned. We learned to live as vampires together, learned to hunt side by side. We spent our first hundred years together, especially since our father abandoned us. We were brothers and we looked after each other.”

“But now you’re in different clans,” Hakyeon asked, “how did that happen?”

“We joined the Jung clan together,” Taekwoon continue with the explanation, “and I was taken in under the wing of another vampire. Sanghyuk and Hongbin’s father decided the guide me through this life as my father should have. He offered to be Wonsik’s father as well, but Wonsik turned him down, unable to trust that he wouldn’t leave as his true father had.”

“So then what happened?” Hakyeon asked when Taekwoon felt silent for a long moment.

“We drifted apart,” Taekwoon sighed, a hint of regret in his voice, “and he didn’t feel like he belonged in the Jung clan. He asked me to leave, but by that point Hongbin had been turned by my father and I just…..I didn’t want to leave me new brother and my second father. I’d also found a home within the clan, one that I didn’t want to leave even if it meant losing Wonsik. He didn’t like that and we fought.

“Father stopped things,” Taekwoon glared out the window, “he told Wonsik that he wasn’t as unwelcome here as he thought, but Wonsik just turned his attack from me to father. The leader at the time had to stop him before he could kill my father. Or before I could kill him for daring to hurt the one I now call father. Wonsik left as ordered and started a clan all his own.”

“But that doesn’t explain why he would hate me,” Hakyeon pointed out, “When the Kim clan was created, I was just a baby. A human with no knowledge of vampires or vampire clans.”

“I was getting to that,” Taekwoon managed a small smile, clearly finding something about Hakyeon’s response humorous, “I haven’t yet told you how Sanghyuk plays into all of this.”

“Sanghyuk?” Hakyeon felt alarm building up inside of him, “how….how does he fit in? What would Wonsik want with Sanghyuk?” Sanghyuk was going to be Hakyeon’s mate, it was only natural that he’d be so concerned for the other’s safety. It had nothing to do with the small crush Hakyeon had started to form on his mate these past two weeks.

“Sanghyuk was turned when the Jung and Kim clans weren’t on speaking terms,” Taekwoon said, “so Wonsik and Sanghyuk didn’t meet for several centuries. When they did cross paths, however, Wonsik took immediate interest in my youngest brother. Sanghyuk was out hunting with me when we caught Wonsik and another of his clan in our territory doing the same as us. We were all ready to fight when Wonsik finally took a good look at Sanghyuk.

“Some would call it love at first sight,” Taekwoon growled, “but it wasn’t that. Wonsik simply wanted to possess Sanghyuk, to own him. Especially when he found out that he was my brother. Wonsik……Wonsik might claim to care for Sanghyuk, but I have never believed it. I know his words are lies. He wants to own my brother, use him however he sees fit until he loses interest.”

“So he hates me because I’m going to be Sanghyuk’s mate,” Hakyeon summarized, “because me being Sanghyuk’s mate means Wonsik can never own him.”

“Exactly,” Taekwoon nodded, “Wonsik has spent the last hundred years trying to talk our clan into letting him take Sanghyuk. We have refused each time because we know the kind of vampire he is, we’ve seen what happens to those he grows tired of. Sanghyuk is part of our family and we all refuse to let that happen to him.”

“Wonsik won’t get near Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon promised, “I won’t let him.”

“I’m happy to hear that,” Taekwoon managed a small smile of approval, “but I should point out that Sanghyuk is very powerful and can look out for himself.”

“I know,” Hakyeon nodded, “I’ve seen him practicing with other clan members. You can tell how much he’s holding back when he’s training with others. He could easily end any of them.”

“That is partly thanks to Wonsik,” Taekwoon growled, “for a short period of time, only fifty years or so, he managed to convince Sanghyuk to meet with him alone. They mostly trained, but they would also talk. Sanghyuk thought he had made a friend, Wonsik thought he’d make something else.”

“What did he do?” Hakyeon asked, voice dark and deep with anger.

“He tried to force Sanghyuk to mate with him,” Taekwoon said, voice just as dark as Hakyeon’s, “before he could succeed, Sanghyuk got away and rushed home. But it was close. Since then, Sanghyuk has worked hard to be the strongest so that he never ends up in a situation like that again.”

“That,” Hakyeon let out an inhuman growl, fists clenching and unclenching as he held back his urge to rip something apart, “I’ll rip him apart before he gets near my mate again.”

Taekwoon blinked at that, surprised to hear such words coming from Hakyeon. The other sounded so protective of his brother and Taekwoon found himself wondering if Hakyeon had fallen for Sanghyuk already. But it had only been two weeks since they had met. Could love really form in such a short amount of time?

Well, whatever Hakyeon felt, Taekwoon was still happy to hear his pledge to kill Wonsik if he got near Sanghyuk. If Hakyeon loved Sanghyuk, then that made things better.

Just outside the room, Sanghyuk stood shocked. He had heard Taekwoon talking about that…….incident with Wonsik and Hakyeon’s response. Hakyeon sounds so angry to hear of what Wonsik had pulled……did he……feel something for Sanghyuk? That tone of voice, that level of angry, was not something used unless you felt something for the one you were protecting.

Sanghyuk just didn’t know what to think, so he turned around and started to run off to find Hongbin once more. Surly his brother would be able to clear things up.

Sanghyuk had only gotten a few steps when he heard the door of his room starting to open. Trying to make it look like he hadn’t overheard anything, Sanghyuk turned back around to face the door and tried to make it seem like he was just arriving. Like he hadn’t heard anything.

“Taekwoon?” Sanghyuk asked as the elder exited the room, “what are you doing here? Did you wish to talk with me?”

“No,” Taekwoon smiled slightly, “I just wanted a few words with Hakyeon.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk nodded, almost wishing he could ask what all of those words were. Instead he headed for his door so that he could go to bed and pretend he’d overheard nothing.

“He’s a good guy,” Taekwoon said, catching Sanghyuk’s arm as they pasted each other, “he will make a good mate.”

“Wait,” Sanghyuk frowned, “are you……do you approve of him?”

“He’ll be your mate no matter what I think,” Taekwoon shrugged, “but of all those who have come looking to be your mate, he is by far the best.”

Taekwoon then left and Sanghyuk slowly made his way into the room. Hakyeon was already curled up on the spare bed Sanghyuk had fetched for him when he first arrived. Admittedly, it was more of a cot then a bed, but Hakyeon hadn’t complained and Sanghyuk wouldn’t have cared if he did.

Now if felt very wrong to let Hakyeon sleep on the thing. It felt downright cruel. So Sanghyuk carefully carried Hakyeon to his bed and laid him down on the soft sheets, pulling the blankets over him. Sanghyuk watched Hakyeon sleep for a few moment, unable to ignore how adorable he looked when he slept.

It left him feeling awful for ignoring Hakyeon and brushing off his attempts to bond the past two weeks. It wasn’t Hakyeon’s fault that they would be mated, all he’d done was try and make the best of it. And what had Sanghyuk done? Sulked like a child who hadn’t gotten the toy they wanted. It wasn’t often Sanghyuk felt so immature and he hated it. He was no immature child, he was a centuries old vampire and he should act like it.

“I’ll try as well,” Sanghyuk pledged, “to make the best of things.”

Sanghyuk was about to move to the cot when Hakyeon sleepily grabbed his hand.

“Stay,” Hakyeon mumbled, eyes closed and face partly buried in a pillow, “cold.”

Sanghyuk paused, trying to figure out if Hakyeon was asking for what he seemed to be asking for. A soft tug from the partly awake vampire seemed to indicate that he indeed wished for Sanghyuk to join him in the bed. Hesitating for a long moment, Sanghyuk joined Hakyeon under the blankets.

Hakyeon wasted no time in cuddling as close as he could to Sanghyuk, a smile appearing on his face as he rested his head on Sanghyuk’s chest. The other just watched for a moment, trying to figure out if this was really happening. Sanghyuk had seen similar scenes in romantic movies and dramas, but never had he been like this with another. If felt…….rather nice.

Sanghyuk soon joined Hakyeon in sleep, a small smile on his own face.

 

--

 

“The mating ceremony will taking place soon,” Wonsik growled, “how have you heard nothing about it?”

“I’m sorry, sir,” the vampire before him bowed as low as he could, “there doesn’t seem to be a single Jung or Cha clan member willing to give information.”

“Then you make them give the information,” Wonsik said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“We’ve been trying,” the vampire said, dropping to his knees so that his forehead rested on the ground, “we’ve been unable to capture anyone for questioning. It would seem both clans are prepared for anything we could do to find out about the ceremony’s date. I’m sorry, sir.”

“Sorry?” Wonsik growled, suddenly in front of the vampire, “Oh, you will be. When I have your head.”

And just like that, the vampire’s head was parted from his body.

“Clean this up,” Wonsik ordered the others in the room, “and find me someone who will get results. I will have the date of that ceremony in two days time or more heads will need to be cleaned from my floor.”

Wonsik needed that date. He needed to put a stop to that mating before Sanghyuk was stolen from him. And if he failed, heads would indeed need to be removed from the floor. If he was lucky, one of them would belong to this Hakyeon creature and another would belong to Taekwoon.

“I’ll get my way, brother,” Wonsik muttered as he turned his attention to city sky line outside his window, “I will have Sanghyuk. Even if I have to kill your whole miserable clan to do it.”

 

--

 

“Then you will exchange the cups of blood,” the leader instructed as he walked Sanghyuk and Hakyeon through the mating ceremony, “drain them and then exchange the rings.”

“And that’s it?” Hakyeon questioned.

“For the public ceremony,” the leader nodded, “the only thing left is the marking, the most important part of everything, done while the mating couple is….well….”

“Having ,” Sanghyuk finished, trying not to look at Hakyeon when he said it. Even though he’d know pretty much all his vampire life what the marking part of the mating ceremony was all about, saying it out loud was still rather embarrassing.

Especially when he was only now starting to become friends with Hakyeon.

“Yes,” the leader nodded, “but that can wait until later, after the party to celebrate your new bond.”

“Alright,” Hakyeon nodded, perfectly fine with putting……that off for a least a little while.

As much as Hakyeon might want Sanghyuk in that way, the other didn’t share those feelings. For Sanghyuk, the idea of having with Hakyeon was probably not very pleasant so if he had the chance to put it off for a while……he’d take that chance in a heartbeat. Hakyeon just had to smile and accept that.

He wanted Sanghyuk to feel as comfortable and happy as possible with all of this.

“Fine,” Sanghyuk nodded, unsure of what he wanted.

“Then I’ll let you both go,” the leader waved for the pair to go, “neither of you have been out hunting recently. Why don’t you go together?”

“Are you sure that’s wise, sir?” Hakyeon asked, “With Wonsik out there……he might try something. Especially if Sanghyuk and I are together………”

“He has a point,” Sanghyuk said, thinking it over himself, “the two of us out together so close to the ceremony……..Wonsik would never pass that up.”

“Which is why we’ll be sending others with you,” the leader shrugged, “with Taekwoon and Hongbin, as well as a member of two of the Cha clan, along for the hunt, Wonsik would never dare try.”

The couple nodded, but both doubted the leader’s words. If Wonsik saw a chance to take Sanghyuk and Hakyeon’s head, he’d go for it regardless of who was with them. But neither were about to question the leader. As good natured as this particular clan leader was, questioning a clan leader was still a bad thing to do. Taboo.

“Come on,” Sanghyuk said, taking Hakyeon’s hand and leading him out into the hall, “let’s find my brothers and a couple of your clan. Then we’ll get something to eat.”

“Alright,” Hakyeon nodded, letting Sanghyuk lead him wherever he wanted to take them.

Sanghyuk glanced back, feeling more than a little empathetic for the other vampire. Hakyeon had never asked for all……this. The mate who didn’t even like him, a rival clan leader out for his head, and a whole new clan that wasn’t anything like his own. All Hakyeon had wanted was to help his dying clan. Instead he got all of this.

Hakyeon didn’t deserve any of it. He was a sweet guy, just as Hongbin and Taekwoon had said, with a great heart and an endless amount of love to give. Over the past few days of actually getting to know him, Sanghyuk had spent a great deal of time feeling horrible that he was going to be Hakyeon’s mate. Not someone he loved who loved him in return. Sanghyuk who hadn’t even taken the time to know him until recently. And then add in the whole Wonsik thing and things got much, much worse.

Hakyeon deserved better than that.

“I’m sorry,” Sanghyuk sighed, suddenly coming to a stop so that he could pull Hakyeon into a hug.

“Huh?” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “what……why are you apologizing?”

Sanghyuk didn’t reply, he just hugged Hakyeon tighter. The other vampire waited for a moment to see if Sanghyuk was going to reply or pull away before wrapping his arms around Sanghyuk as well.

“For Wonsik,” Sanghyuk said when the pair finally parted, “and for how I was treating you.”

“You can’t be blamed for him,” Hakyeon assured him, “and you can’t be blamed for that either. You were dealing with things, with being mated to someone you didn’t love. I know that must have and you had to deal with that somehow.”

“Then I should have taken it out on something,” Sanghyuk frowned, not at all liking how Hakyeon easily brushed it all off like he wasn’t bothered by it at all, “not someone. Not you. Not when you’re in the same position that I am.”

“Not really,” Hakyeon shrugged, “I’ve known for a lot longer that I was going to end up mated to someone for the clan’s sake. My father made it clear to me ages ago that who I mated was in his control.”

“Wait,” Sanghyuk frowned, “what did you just say?”

“My father told me that he’d mate me off to someone who could help better the clan,” Hakyeon shrugged, “since he’s the clan leader, he had the power to do exactly that so…….I’ve always know it would happen. When it finally did, I was more prepared for it then you.”

Sanghyuk didn’t know how to respond with words to that. He felt so….so angry. How dare Hakyeon’s father act like that. Hakyeon had every right to pick a mate for himself. To take that away from him…….

Sanghyuk growled, deep and animalistic.

“How dare he,” Sanghyuk hissed.

“It’s fine,” Hakyeon was quick to grab Sanghyuk’s hands to keep him in place, “it’s fine.”

“It is not fine,” Sanghyuk insisted, “he has not right to take your choice of who to mate away from you.”

“He does,” Hakyeon shrugged, “he’s the clan leader, he can do what he wants. He’s done worse to my siblings. He’s done worse to me.”

“What?” Sanghyuk’s voice turned cold as his gaze focused on Hakyeon, “what did he do to you?”

“It’s nothing,” Hakyeon said, tone practically begging Sanghyuk to just drop it already, “it’s all in the past now, right? He’s not going to be my leader for much longer. And when my clan joins yours, he’s not going to be leader. Just a highly ranked clan member.”

Sanghyuk wanted to press the issue, wanted to demand answers from Hakyeon. But Hakyeon was almost pleading with him to stop. One look into Hakyeon’s eyes and Sanghyuk had no choice but to drop the subject. For now, anyway. Later, when they were marking each other, Sanghyuk would look for an answer. During that time, Hakyeon could hide nothing from him and vice versa.

“Let’s hunt,” Sanghyuk sighed, taking Hakyeon’s hand in his and leading him down the winding halls in search of someone to go with them.

Every so often, Sanghyuk would glance back at Hakyeon. He couldn’t help but feel protective of the cute little vampire. Maybe it was because Hakyeon would soon be his, or maybe it was because he couldn’t help but like him. Either way, Sanghyuk decided that Hakyeon was his mate and he would look after him. Hakyeon felt the same need to protect going by his conversation with Taekwoon all those nights ago.

Why shouldn’t Sanghyuk return the feeling?

 

--

 

“He’s a great hunter,” Taekwoon observed as he and Sanghyuk watched Hakyeon feed.

“Even better then you,” Sanghyuk nodded, “he lured his pray into the ally without anyone noticing.”

“He’s got a talent,” Taekwoon smiled slightly, beyond pleased with this development, “he’d be even better obtaining blood for the clan then fighting for it.”

“We should mention this to someone,” Sanghyuk shrugged as Hakyeon pulled back from his pray, “leader should know about this.”

“I’ll tell him when we get back,” Taekwoon said before lightly pushing Sanghyuk in Hakyeon’s direction, “for now, go to him. Take him home.”

“Are you coming along?” Sanghyuk asked, “or do you have business to attend to first?”

“I have some business,” Taekwoon shrugged, “I won’t be long, it should only take a few minutes.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk nodded before moving to Hakyeon’s side.

“Oh,” Hakyeon looked up, “did you feed already?”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk nodded, moving to clean Hakyeon’s face with a handkerchief he’d gotten from Hongbin earlier, “but mine wasn’t as clean as yours.”

“Clean?” Hakyeon frowned slightly, looking down at himself, “but….I’m not really clean.”

“I’m not referring to the blood,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, unable to find Hakyeon’s reaction anything other than adorable, “I mean how you stalked and lured your pray.”

“Oh,” Hakyeon smiled slightly, clearly proud to receive the praise.

“Come,” Sanghyuk said, holding his hand out to the other, “let’s go home.”

Hakyeon took the offered hand and the pair headed for home, closely followed by the others who had gone out with them.

Save for Taekwoon who stood on a nearby rooftop, watching them go before turning around to face the one he’s noticed was spying on them.

“Taekwoon,” Wonsik growled.

“Wonsik,” Taekwoon smirked, “how are you brother?”

“The one with Sanghyuk,” Wonsik flashed the other a demented grin, “that’s who I have to kill? That worthless little creature?”

“He isn’t worthless,” Taekwoon replied, “he’s a born hunter and a great fighter to boot.”

“You’re praising him,” Wonsik frowned, “so spite me? Or because you mean it?”

“I mean it,” Taekwoon’s smirk grew a little, “Hakyeon is a great vampire. He’s earned my respect, as well as my approval.”

“What?”

“You heard me,” Taekwoon had trouble holding in his laughter at the look on Wonsik’s face, “Hakyeon has my approval to become Sanghyuk’s mate.”

“You--!” Wonsik made a grab for Taekwoon, only for someone to catch his arm and toss him across the roof.

“Stay away from him, Wonsik,” Sanghyuk growled, standing between the pair with Hakyeon tucked under his arm.

“Sanghyuk,” Taekwoon scowled, “I thought I said to go home.”

“You did,” Sanghyuk nodded, “but Hakyeon felt like someone was watching. After you mentioned having some business to take care of........”

“Sanghyuk felt it best if we come help,” Hakyeon finished, taking a peek at Wonsik from around Sanghyuk.

The enemy vampire looked beyond enraged. But he was also clearly trying to hold that anger in, unwilling to show that side of him around Sanghyuk. Wonsik knew that he couldn’t try anything, not without Sanghyuk ending him. So long as he held back, he would make it off the roof alive.

“Sanghyuk,” Wonsik finally spoke up, “is this really your mate? He’s pathetic.”

“Are you sure you aren’t looking in a mirror?” Sanghyuk countered, arm tightening slightly around Hakyeon when he felt the other wince at the insult, “because my mate is far from pathetic.”

Wonsik gave a hiss, eyes darkening with rage.

“Wonsik,” Taekwoon snapped, “If you wish to leave here alive, I suggest you go now.”

“I agree,” Sanghyuk gave a sharp nod, “get out of here before I change my mind about letting you go.”

“I’m not going to let this happen,” Wonsik promised, waving towards Hakyeon, “you both realize that so long as I’m around, he won’t live to see the end of the year.”

“I beg to differ,” Sanghyuk said, “but you do bring up a tempting idea. Killing you to ensure my mate sees the new year.”

Wonsik gave another hiss, this one even more engaged then the first, before leaving.

“Now we can go home,” Taekwoon sighed, “even though it was a short exchange, talking to that psychotic idiot always leaves me feeling drained.”

“Dawn is getting closer too,” Sanghyuk observed, taking Hakyeon’s hand once more, “we need to get moving fast.”

The three took off, quickly catching up to their other clan members.

 

--

 

“We’ll be mates soon,” Hakyeon yawned cuddling as close to Sanghyuk as he dared after sharing this thought with the other.

“Once the sun sets,” Sanghyuk nodded, watching Hakyeon out of the corner of his eye, “the ceremony will start. By the time it rises, we’ll be bound to each other for all time.”

“Yes,” Hakyeon couldn’t keep the pleased smile from his face, very much in love with the idea of being with Sanghyuk for the rest of eternity.

Sanghyuk noticed that smile and felt rather pleased himself. He’d grown rather fond of the idea of Hakyeon belonging by his side for the rest of time and is pleased him a great deal that Hakyeon seemed to like the idea as well. It was just a shame that it wasn’t love he felt for the other. Not yet anyway. But with each moment together that passed, Sanghyuk was becoming more convinced that he could fall in love with Hakyeon.

Hakyeon had many traits Sanghyuk had always wanted in a mate and dozens more that he’d come to realize he wanted as well. Like Hakyeon’s mothering nature when it came to newly turned vampires. His mate having such a trait had never occurred to Sanghyuk before, but now that he had seen it in Hakyeon he wanted it.

“Get some sleep,” Sanghyuk finally said, pulling Hakyeon against him, “you’ll need your rest.”

“Alright,” Hakyeon nodded, wrapping his arms around Sanghyuk and resting his head on his chest, “good morning.”

“Sleep well,” Sanghyuk replied, wondering if he should press a kiss to the other’s head like he found himself wanting to.

Sanghyuk drifted off before he could make up his mind about what to do.

 

--

 

“Scared?” Jaehwan asked as he helped Hakyeon with his robes.

“A little,” Hakyeon admitted, flashing his old friend a small smile, “but I’m also excited.”

“Looking forewords to having Sanghyuk as your mate?” Jaehwan’s mother laughed, “He is a handsome man. I can understand why so many have asked for him to become their mate over the years.”

“And our little Hakyeon is the one who gets him,” Jaehwan laughed, “bet there aren’t too many happy with you right now.”

“Um,” Hakyeon bit his lip, memories of Wonsik quickly filling his mind.

“That doesn’t matter,” Jaehwan’s mother was quick to say, apparently catching on the Hakyeon’s thoughts right away, “because in a few short hours, Hakyeon and Sanghyuk will be bound together for eternity and nothing will change that.”

“Right,” Hakyeon smiled, but it was a smile heavy with worries.

“You’re ready,” Jaehwan said after looking Hakyeon over and doing a list minute touch up on his eyeliner and eye shadow, “I’ll go ask if Sanghyuk’s done, too.”

“He’s done,” Hongbin smiled, startling the three with his sudden appearance, “it’s time to get into position.”

“Right,” Hakyeon nodded, taking a deep breath to calm himself.

“You look wonderful, Hakyeon,” Hongbin praised, “I’m honestly a little bit jealous of Sanghyuk right now.”

“Careful he doesn’t hear that,” Jaehwan laughed, “don’t think he’ll be too pleased to hear you hitting on his mate before the ceremony.”

The pair laughed before each taking one of Hakyeon’s hands and leading him to the edge of the platform where the ceremony would be taking place. Where Hakyeon stood was hidden but curtains, but that didn’t matter because once the leader called for him he’d be out on the platform where everyone could see him.

On the other side of the stage, he could see Sanghyuk dressed in similar robes, trying to shake his father and Taekwoon off as the pair fussed over him and tried to make a few last minute improvements to his appearance. Hakyeon didn’t think Sanghyuk needed any improvements, he was already breathtakingly handsome.

“Everyone,” the leader finally called all gathered in the hall to attention, “my brothers, my clan, those of the Cha clan. We have come here on this night to witness the bonding of two of our brothers. Han Sanghyuk and Cha Hakyeon.” As their names were called, both stepped forewords, meeting in the middle of the platform before the podium the leader was standing at.

“A mating is the most special bond two vampires can form,” the leader smiled slightly, “for it binds the two souls together for eternity. Once mated, there is no one but your mate. For as long as you wear the mark of your mate, your heart belongs to them alone. Your life belongs to the one you cal mate.”

Hakyeon listened to the leader talk about the mating bond and felt his nerves bubbling up once more. Once they did this, he and Sanghyuk would be tied together for eternity. There would never be a life without the other and the chances of there being love with another were slim. Hakyeon wasn’t sure if Sanghyuk wanted that, if he realized what this was doing to his life.

Sanghyuk glanced away from his leader and caught a glimpse of the worry and doubt in Hakyeon’s eyes. Maybe it was because of all the time he’d been spending recently with the other, but Sanghyuk knew exactly why his mate looked so worried. Catching Hakyeon’s eye, Sanghyuk gave what he hoped was a reassuring smile. Hopefully, that would be enough to calm his mate’s fears until they could talk.

“Give me your hands,” the leader said and Sanghyuk and Hakyeon both held out their hands, palms up.

Hakyeon winced ever so slightly as the leader ran a knife over his palms, slicing the skin and drawing blood. The leader then held a golden cup under Hakyeon hands to catch all the blood. After putting down that cup, the leader grabbed the knife and another cup before doing the same thing with Sanghyuk.

“Say the pledge and then drink the blood,” the leader said after gathering the blood he needed, handing the cup with Hakyeon’s blood to Sanghyuk and the cup with Sanghyuk’s blood to Hakyeon.

“I, Han Sanghyuk,” Sanghyuk said, bowing his head slightly, “pledge my unending love and devotion to you, Cha Hakyeon, for as long as the nights continue. I will live only for you. I will love only you. I will give my life to protect you. I will hunt for you when you cannot. I will live the rest of my eternity for your sake. I will never leave your side, nor love anyone else but you.”

“I, Cha Hakyeon,” Hakyeon said, bowing just as Sanghyuk had done, “pledge my unending love and devotion to you, Han Sanghyuk, for as long as the nights continue. I will live only for you. I will love only you. I will give my life to protect you. I will hunt for you when you cannot. I will live the rest of my eternity for your sake. I will never leave your side, nor love anyone else but you.”

The leader had told them to drink after saying the pledge so the pair did exactly that, eyes locked on the other as they consumed each other’s blood.

“In the eyes of both our clans,” the leader smiled, “you are mates. We all congratulate you both and wish you a thousand eternities.”

The crowd called out their own well wishes before starting to leave for the after party. Soon, only Sanghyuk and Hakyeon remained, eyes still locked and the taste of the other’s blood still fresh in their mouths.

“We’re almost mated,” Hakyeon finally said.

“Almost,” Sanghyuk nodded in agreement, “just have to mark you and you’re mine for eternity.”

“Y-Yeah,” Hakyeon nodded, looking away because Sanghyuk’s words did something to him. They left him feeling hot and bubbly and he wasn’t sure if he should feel like that. After all, Sanghyuk didn’t love him no matter how much he might wish it.

“Let’s go,” Sanghyuk offered his arm, “we can’t miss our own mating party. We have to mingle a little, talk to some people.”

“Right,” Hakyeon nodded as he took Sanghyuk’s arm, mentally trying to prepare himself for the onslaught of congratulations that would be coming from every direction. Not that Hakyeon didn’t appreciate those well wishes, he just didn’t want everyone trying to talk to him at once. It wasn’t nice for him.

As it turned out, that wasn’t the most unpleasant thing to come of the party.

No, that was Hakyeon’s father who finally made his way over to the pair after the crowd surrounding them had dissipated.

“I should apologize to you, Sanghyuk,” was the first thing Hakyeon’s father said.

“For what?” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, completely clueless as to why the other would be apologizing.

“You’ve been saddled with Hakyeon for eternity,” the older vampire shrugged, “As his father, I can sympathize with how much of a burden that is.”

“Burden?” Sanghyuk questioned, trying to hide the anger bubbling up inside of him.

“He’s worthless as a fighter, a total liability on the battle field,” the elder just kept talking, completely unaware of Sanghyuk’s anger that grew and grew with each word.

When Sanghyuk glanced over at Hakyeon and his mind registered how miserable Hakyeon looked, realized there was this look of acceptance in Hakyeon’s eyes like he’d heard it all before. Suddenly, Sanghyuk found himself recalling his first meeting with Hakyeon, how he’d looked him over and inspected him. Hakyeon had felt scared and intimidated by that and suddenly Sanghyuk came to an understanding as to why.

It reminded him of his father.

“Leader Cha,” Sanghyuk finally said, cutting the other off mid-rant, “I do not think of Hakyeon as a burden or a worthless fighter or anything else you have called him over the years. I ask now that you leave and never talk to my mate like that again. If you do,” Sanghyuk’s voice turned colder then the arctic, “I will have no choice but to defend my mate through combat. I’m sure we both know who would win that fight, so let’s not let it get there.”

Hakyeon watched with wide eyes as Sanghyuk defended him, something no one else had ever done. Not because they didn’t want to, mind you. No, no one had ever stuck up for Hakyeon before because no one dared talk back to the clan leader. Not if they wanted to live.

Sanghyuk didn’t have to worry about that, though. Leader Cha wasn’t his leader and never would be. He could do nothing to Sanghyuk.

And the older vampire knew this. It angered him, both could tell by the slight twitching of jaw as he held back his cries of anger.

Hakyeon’s father left after a moment, leaving the pair to be alone for a moment.

“Thank you,” Hakyeon sighed, moving to rest his head against Sanghyuk’s shoulder.

“Is he always like that to you?” Sanghyuk asked even though he knew the answer already.

“Yes,” Hakyeon nodded, “sometimes he’s worse. Most times he’s like this.” Hakyeon silently wished Sanghyuk would drop it at that, that he wouldn’t ask what ‘worse’ entailed. Hakyeon would tell him another time, not here at the party to celebrate them becoming mates.

“Is he like this with everyone?” Sanghyuk couldn’t help but ask, silently wishing that his questions didn’t make Hakyeon uncomfortable.

“For the most part,” Hakyeon nodded, “but he’s hardest on me and my siblings. Since we’re his children and he’s the leader…….we can’t be anything but the best.”

“I’ll mention this to leader,” Sanghyuk decided, “he should know before our clan officially merge.”

“I’ll come with you,” Hakyeon nodded, “and Jaehwan and his mother will back me up if need be.”

Sanghyuk replied with a short nod before moving to hold Hakyeon. Hakyeon wrapped his own arms around Sanghyuk and the pair stayed there for a few moments just holding each other, slightly swaying to the music that filled the room.

“I meant what I said,” Sanghyuk finally said, “about you not being a burden or anything foolish like that.”

“I know,” Hakyeon nodded and it was true.

 He knew that Sanghyuk never thought of him as a burden, that the thought had never crossed his mind. However, it had crossed Hakyeon’s mind. Several times in fact.

“We’ve greeted everyone,” Sanghyuk said, “and we’ve been here for a few hours. Do you want to leave?”

“Leave?” Hakyeon questioned, “You don’t want to drink something or talk to your brothers for a while?”

“Nah,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly, knowing that Hakyeon would like nothing more than to leave and yet he was still making sure that leaving was exactly what Sanghyuk wanted, “and I can talk to them tomorrow night when there aren’t so many other things going on.”

“Alright,” Hakyeon smiled brightly, offering his hand to Sanghyuk, “let’s go.”

The pair fled the party, retiring to their room. Sanghyuk didn’t waste time on small talk, quickly stripping both of their robes and taking Hakyeon as his. Only when they finished and were resting in each other’s arms did Hakyeon take a moment to really think over what he had just happened.

For a moment, he felt regret. He’d mated with someone who didn’t love him, someone who might never love him. Just what did he think would happen when Sanghyuk found someone he really did love? The vampire suddenly felt the urge to cry, something he hadn’t done in ages. Not since before he was turned.

Sanghyuk’s voice broke him out of his thoughts.

“Your father is despicable,” Sanghyuk growled, arms wrapping around Hakyeon even tighter, “what he did……”

“You looked?” Hakyeon whimpered, feeling horrible and pathetic for a new reason.

He’d completely forgotten that during the actual marking, the two mating vampires could glimpse into each other’s souls. The mating vampire could to this over and over again if they so desired, marking each other and sharing their souls whenever they wanted. Hakyeon had always thought of it as romantic, but now he hated it. Sanghyuk had seen the things his father had done to him over the years and Hakyeon was so very ashamed of that.

“You have nothing to feel guilty about,” Sanghyuk assured him, very aware of Hakyeon’s thoughts on this matter, “he’s the one who did something wrong. He’s the pathetic one. Not you, never you.”

Hakyeon just held Sanghyuk, unable to say anything. If he denied Sanghyuk’s word, the other would be upset. And if he agreed? Well, that would mean he agreed with Sanghyuk and he didn’t.

“What did you look at for me?” Sanghyuk asked, deciding that changing the subject a little would be for the best.

“I didn’t look at anything,” Hakyeon admitted, “I….I didn’t feel like it was my place.”

“Not your place?” Sanghyuk frowned, “Hakyeon……..”

Sanghyuk sighed, reminding himself that he had to take their situation into account. They hadn’t mated for love, they’d mated for their clans. He knew, thanks to his brothers and looking in to his mate’s soul, that Hakyeon had feelings for him, but he wasn’t completely sure what he felt. And Hakyeon……well Hakyeon clearly assumed that Sanghyuk felt nothing for him. Friendship maybe, but defiantly nothing more.

Sanghyuk felt the urge to assure Hakyeon that…….that……..Sanghyuk didn’t know what he wanted to say to the other, so he just kept his mouth shut.

“Good morning,” Hakyeon said finally, the events of the night finally getting to him and leaving him tired.

“Good morning,” Sanghyuk replied before a thought occurred to him, “Hakyeon?”

“Um?”Hakyeon cracked one eye open, looking up lazily at Sanghyuk.

“I’m going to mark you again when we wake up,” Sanghyuk said, “and you can mark me again. And this time…..this time look at whatever you like.”

Hakyeon looked at Sanghyuk, clearly unsure of what Sanghyuk was trying to say exactly. Was his meaning as simple as the words he had spoken? Or was there more meaning to them. Sanghyuk didn’t offer any thoughts, he just closed his eyes and was soon asleep. Hakyeon watched him for several more minutes before going to bed as well.

When they woke, he would do as Sanghyuk had said and look into his soul. Maybe that would give him some clue as to what Sanghyuk was thinking.

 

--

 

“Sir,” the vampire bowed as he entered Wonsik’s room.

“What are you doing here?” Wonsik hissed, “It’s almost dawn. You know I’m not to be disturbed this close to dawn.”

“I have news, sir,” the vampire bowed again, “a letter from the Jung clan.”

“Give it,” Wonsik sat up in his bed, ripping the paper from the other vampire’s hands so he could read it.

What he read made him blind with anger.

And when his anger clamed?

Wonsik looked around his destroyed room until he located the body of the dead vampire. He couldn’t help but laugh as he recalled the old saying ‘don’t kill the messenger.’ Well he did and it felt good. Taking lives had always felt good to Wonsik. Even when he was human and would take out his anger on animals, watching the life drain from his victim was one of his greatest joys.

Just a shame more didn’t see things that way.

It was why he had left the Jung clan. They were too soft. They took no joy in ending the pathetic lives of the humans they drained or the vampires they destroyed on the battle field. It drove Wonsik mad as they took time to mourn the dead until once day the leader finally, truly noticed his actions and requested that he leave.

But all of that wasn’t important.

Sanghyuk and Hakyeon having completed their mating was top priority.

“What to do,” Wonsik muttered as he paced his room, “what to do.”

Killing Hakyeon wasn’t exactly doable anymore. Not without destroying Sanghyuk. And Wonsik wanted Sanghyuk to be perfect, at one hundred percent. He needed that for his plans.

When Wonsik had first seen Sanghyuk, he’d known that the other was special. Sanghyuk had to potential to be just like him. The fact that Sanghyuk was now a brilliant fighter was only more proof to support that idea. And when Sanghyuk got angry? Oh, Wonsik loved the blood bath Sanghyuk created when he was angry.

They would have been perfect mates, a couple to be feared and the perfect kings to control all of clans.

But now Hakyeon had put a stop to that.

Wonsik hissed as he tried to find a way to work around the annoying little flee who had messed up everything.

“Wait,” Wonsik said, a smirk starting to form on his lips, “maybe he hasn’t messed everything up.”

Wonsik’s largest problem when it came to getting Sanghyuk was that the other didn’t want to leave his clan. He had no reason to leave them. Hence why Wonsik had tried to force a mating between them. If it had worked, Sanghyuk would have had no choice but to join Wonsik’s clan in order to stay with his mate. But it hadn’t worked and Sanghyuk had gotten stronger so a mating could never be forced upon him again.

But now with Hakyeon as his mate………..

Where ever Hakyeon went, Sanghyuk would follow.

Wonsik couldn’t suppress the laugh that bubbled up in his throat as he started to plan his next move.

 

--

 

“He’s not going to have an accident walking to the kitchen,” Hongbin teased as Sanghyuk intently watched Hakyeon leaving the training room.

“I know,” Sanghyuk sighed, “but……I don’t like having Hakyeon out of my sight. Is that….weird? I mean, since I don’t love him and we only met about two months ago.”

“I think it’s the mating,” Hongbin shrugged, “from what I’ve heard, for a while it makes everything intense. Like, you can’t be apart from your mate for long before you start going a little crazy.”

“I wonder if it’s that,” Sanghyuk sighed, “cuz, I mean, I’m not in love with him. So why am I always so……weird when he leaves my side for even a minute.”

“That might be it,” Taekwoon said, looking up from his training, “but I have another theory.”

“Really?” Sanghyuk asked, moving closer to his oldest brother, “What?”

“You’re falling for him,” Taekwoon explained, “and that coupled with the effects of mating makes it hard for you to be away from him.”

“Oh,” Sanghyuk blinked, “I……….I…………maybe……maybe I am. Falling for him I mean. Hakyeon…..it’s kind of hard to not like him. And…….and when I marked him, I looked into his soul and…….”

“And what you saw made you love him,” Hongbin summarized, a soft smile forming, “that’s sweet, Sanghyukkie.”

“I’m not in love with him,” Sanghyuk sighed, “not yet anyway.”

“But you’re going to get there,” Taekwoon replied, “and soon at this rate.”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk sighed, a small smile slowly forming on his face.

“I wonder,” Hongbin mused, “if maybe you’re not just mats with Hakyeon.”

“Huh?” Sanghyuk frowned slightly, “what are you talking about?”

“I think that maybe,” Hongbin explained, “just maybe, you’re soul mates.”

“Soul mates, huh?” Sanghyuk tilted his head slightly as he rolled the words around in his head, “I thought that whole soul mates thing was just a human myth.”

“And vampires are thought to be a myth to humans,” Taekwoon pointed out, “yet here we stand.”

“Maybe,” Sanghyuk shrugged, “but maybe not. Maybe I’m just falling for Hakyeon naturally.”

“Time will tell,” Hongbin shrugged as well, “and it’s just an idea I thought I’d toss out there.”

“What idea did you toss out there?” the three brothers turned to find Hakyeon making his way over to them with blood bags in his arms.

“You didn’t have to bring me one,” Sanghyuk smiled, taking one of the bags from his mate, “and you defiantly didn’t have to grab some for Hongbin and Taekwoon.”

“I thought you all might be thirsty,” Hakyeon replied, handing Taekwoon his bag after Hongbin had taken his, “and isn’t it rude to get something to drink just for myself.”

“I guess,” Sanghyuk told him, “I never bring blood bags back for them, so I wouldn’t know.”

“It just means that your mate is nicer then you,” Hongbin laughed, “thank you, Hakyeon.”

“So what is this idea you were talking about?” Hakyeon asked as the four sat down to drink their blood.

“I suggested that Sanghyuk should take over your training,” Hongbin lied, “not that Taekwoon isn’t a good fighter, but Sanghyuk is the best.”

“I don’t know,” Hakyeon glanced at Sanghyuk, recalling how he’d been the one to suggest Taekwoon as a trainer originally. Didn’t that mean he had no interest in training Hakyeon?

“I can’t right now,” Sanghyuk sighed, “too many new vampires to train.”

“Sanghyuk is right,” Taekwoon nodded, “leader put him in charge of training the inexperienced fighters. We need them to be ready should Wonsik decide to attack.”

“I wish I could train you,” Sanghyuk told Hakyeon, clearly regretful that he couldn’t help his mate, “but the clan’s protection has to come first. Besides, you’re a great fighter as it is. You don’t need Taekwoon to train you in the first place.”

“He’s right,” Taekwoon added, “you’re much better then you give yourself credit for.”

“Father didn’t think so,” Hakyeon muttered, mind calling up the memory of his father insulting him for not being the powerful fighter he wanted him to be.

“Your father is a fool,” Sanghyuk growled, grabbing Hakyeon bringing him into a tight hug, “a stupid moron who’s words should never be taken seriously.”

Hakyeon didn’t reply, couldn’t reply. His mind was too focused on the contact between himself and Sanghyuk.  Ever since Sanghyuk had marked him, twice, he’d been craving the feeling of the other. Even if it was just a brushing of hands, Hakyeon wanted contact so badly it hurt at times.

“Dawn is drawing closer,” Taekwoon suddenly said, eyes closed as he listened to some clan members down the hall talking about the time, “I think we should all head to bed soon.”

“Alright,” Hongbin yawned, the very mention of dawn making his sleepy, “good. I’m getting tired anyway.”

“Let’s go,” Sanghyuk said, getting up and offering Hakyeon his hand, “time for rest.”

“Time for rest,” Hakyeon nodded in agreement, a smile lighting up his face at the idea of spending a day in Sanghyuk’s arms while they slept. Waking up in his mate’s arms was, without doubt, one of Hakyeon’s favorite things in the world.

The couple wished Taekwoon and Hongbin a good rest before returning to their room. Sanghyuk set about dressing for bed right away, stripping himself of his cloths and fishing around in his dresser for a fresh pair of sleep pants. Hakyeon watched for a moment, enjoying the view he’d been given before setting out to do the same.

“Here,” Sanghyuk suddenly said, tossing Hakyeon a piece of fabric, “put this on.”

“What is it?” Hakyeon asked, unfolding the fabric to reveal that it was a shirt.

“My shirt,” Sanghyuk smiled softly, “I….I want you to wear it.”

“Ok,” Hakyeon nodded, unable to meet Sanghyuk’s eyes do to nerves. Wearing your partner’s cloths was something couples did, something that signified that they were close and in love. If Sanghyuk wanted Hakyeon to wear his cloths, even just to sleep in, did that mean……..did that mean love or that Sanghyuk was unaware of the deeper meaning?

“You look good,” Sanghyuk said once Hakyeon was wearing the shirt, “in my cloths.”

“Thank you,” Hakyeon smiled at the ground, still far too nervous to face the other.

Sanghyuk watched his mate for a moment before moving closer. He knew what wearing your partner’s clothing signified, in fact that was why he’d suggested it. He might not be all the way in love yet, but he wanted Hakyeon to realize that he was getting there. He hoped that this would tell him that.

but then again, Hakyeon had probably convinced himself that Sanghyuk would never love him. He’d probably convinced himself that Sanghyuk would come to see him as his worthless father saw him. The very idea of Hakyeon thinking that angered Sanghyuk and it was all he could do to keep his growl from being heard.

Sanghyuk decided he couldn’t just give Hakyeon signals about his feelings for him, he had to come out and actually say them.

“I’m falling for you, Hakyeon,” Sanghyuk announced, pulling the smaller vampire into his arms, “completely and totally falling for you.”

“S-Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon gasped, unable to believe that he was hearing.

“I’m not in love yet,” Sanghyuk said, “but I will be.”

Hakyeon stared with wide eyes for a long moment up at his mate before a smile started to appear on his lips. Without a second thought, Hakyeon pulled Sanghyuk down for a kiss, long and passionate as both poured as much of their feelings into the lip lock as they could.

“I’m already in love with you,” Hakyeon confessed as they parted, foreheads pressed together and noses brushing slightly, “I-I’ve been in love with you since before we mated.”

“I want to be able to tell you that I love you,” Sanghyuk sighed, a little regretful that he couldn’t yet respond to Hakyeon’s ‘I love you’ with one of his own.

“But you’re getting there,” Hakyeon smiled, “you’re still falling.”

“Soon,” Sanghyuk promised before pulling away to lead Hakyeon to their bed, “soon I’ll be able to say that I feel the same.”

With that promise spoken, the pair drifted off to sleep with smiles on their faces and arms wrapped around each other.

 

--

 

Sanghyuk should have known that things would end badly. His gut had been warning him since he’d woken up that evening that something would go wrong. And yet he’d ignored the feeling. He’d gone out hunting with Hakyeon alone, confident that nothing could happen.

And now, as payment for his foolishness, he was watching Wonsik hold his mate by the throat while he himself was being restrained by several of Wonsik’s clan members. Hakyeon tried clawing at Wonsik’s arm, but Wonsik was older and stronger so Hakyeon’s attempt to get free failed. But the younger didn’t give up and Sanghyuk was so very proud of him for that,

“Let go of him!” Sanghyuk growled, trying to fight against his captor’s hold. He felt a couple of them shutter in fear and almost smiled.

“No,” Wonsik replied, slamming Hakyeon against a wall and holding him there by the throat, “I don’t think I will.”

“DON’T TOUCH HIM!” Sanghyuk howled in anger when he heard Hakyeon trying not to whimper in pain.

“I’ll let go on one condition,” was the reply this time.

“What condition?” Sanghyuk scoffed, “that I leave Hakyeon and my clan for you?”

“While that was once the idea,” Wonsik smirked, “I’ve come to realize that you’re never going to give this little runt up. Actually, it’s more like you can’t. Not with the mating and all that.”

“Just tell me what you want,” Sanghyuk huffed, relaxing and giving Hakyeon a look that said to do the same. Hakyeon did as told, knowing right away that Sanghyuk had a plan and he just had to wait for a signal.

“You have potential, Sanghyuk,” Wonsik explained, “to be great. To be like me. I’ve known it since the day I first saw you. Knew you had the potential to be like me. At the time, I thought we could become mates and rule the vampire world together. I want us to still rule together, but I understand that room must be made for your little mate here.”

“You really think I’d become like you?” Sanghyuk scowled, “you’re a psychopath, Wonsik. I’ve seen what you do to people. I would never do that to someone.”

“That’s your clan talking,” Wonsik brushed Sanghyuk’s words off, “once you’ve been freed of that pathetic way of thinking, you’ll be like me. Powerful, feared, and in control of everyone who isn’t as strong as you.”

“Not happening,” Sanghyuk hissed, “not now and not ever.”

“I thought you’d say that,” Wonsik sighed, “which is why Hakyeon is still alive.”

“What?” Sanghyuk glanced at his mate, fear bubbling up from inside him.

“Hakyeon is an incentive,” Wonsik smirked, “so long as you do as I say, he lives. If you follow my orders for long enough and I feel I can trust you, then you’ll get him back. If not? I rip his throat out. Simple as that.”

Sanghyuk hissed, none too happy to hear the words ‘rip his throat out’ coming from Wonsik’s mouth. But he had to hold in his anger for the moment or else his plan wouldn’t work. He needed his plan to work. So long as he didn’t do anything, it would work. He could already feel the hold on his arms relaxing and he could see Wonsik’s hand relaxing around Hakyeon’s neck.

“How do I know you aren’t going to kill him regardless?” Sanghyuk questioned, “We both know you’ve wanted Hakyeon dead since Taekwoon told you about him.”

“I guess you’ll just have to trust me,” Wonsik shrugged, “That is not really my problem, though. I win no matter what happens to the runt. He lives, you work for me. He dies, your spirit is crushed and you don’t fight back enough to stay alive. I can always find myself someone else with promise, you aren’t all that special, Sanghyuk. Just more convenient.”

“Convenient?” Sanghyuk suddenly smirked, “I highly doubt that. Hakyeon!”

Sanghyuk used his captors more relaxed hold to get free, ripping a couple of arms off in the process. As Sanghyuk set about smashing some skulls, he glanced over at Hakyeon and Wonsik. His mate had managed to break free, but was now locked in battle with Wonsik. Hakyeon was very strong, but there was still a gap between his level and the one Wonsik was on. Hakyeon would not win this fight, not without help.

Sanghyuk was the only help he had, so he had to destroy Wonsik’s minions fast.

Thankfully, Sanghyuk was better than anyone Wonsik could ever send to fight him and easily defeated the ones trying to hold him back from going to his mate’s side. Even before the last one hit the ground, Sanghyuk was slamming into Wonsik. The older vampire was not at all ready for the attack and was sent flying to the other end of the alleyway.

When Wonsik finally got to his feet again, Sanghyuk and Hakyeon were gone, leaving only his dead and defeated  minions behind.

 

--

 

“I was so scared,” Hakyeon breathed, clutching tightly to Sanghyuk, “for a minute there, I really thought I was going to die.”

“I know,” Sanghyuk nodded, tightening his hold on the other, “I was scared too.”

“Y-you were?” Hakyeon gasped, “But you looked so in control the whole time. Well, besides when you were angry. Then you looked, well, angry.”

“I was,” Sanghyuk nodded, “he….he dared threaten the life of my mate. Of course I’d be scared that he would actually take you from me.”

“I’m not going to leave you,” Hakyeon promised, “never. I’m pretty sure I promised you that when we were mated.”

“You promised to live for me,” Sanghyuk smiled softly, “and that means staying alive because I need you to live so that I can keep living.”

Hakyeon wasn’t sure exactly what to say, so he just hid his face in Sanghyuk’s chest and took in his mate’s scent. It calmed him, just like it always had since realizing he was in love with the other vampire. Sanghyuk mirrored Hakyeon, breathing in the other’s scent. He hadn’t really noticed before, never been in such a state of panic and anger before, but Hakyeon’s natural scent was very soothing.

“What are we going to do?” Hakyeon asked, looking around their hiding place, “the sun is almost up, we won’t be able to make it home before dawn.”

“We need to find a more shadowed area,” Sanghyuk scowled, “If that fails we can try using my coat to shield our hands and faces while the rest of our cloths shield the rest of us.. We can’t allow the sunlight to touch us.”

“Right,” Hakyeon pulled away, quickly moving to search the building they had taken refuge in. Sanghyuk watched him for a moment, silently promising that he would do anything to keep Hakyeon safe, before setting off on his own search.

“Here,” Hakyeon called before Sanghyuk could get very far, “this should work, right?”

“It should,” Sanghyuk nodded after giving the closet a once over, “no windows, a door. And we can use out coats to block the bottom so no light leeks in from there.”

“Let’s get set up,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “I can feel the sunlight burning my skin already.”

Sanghyuk pulled his mate into the small space, shrugging off his coat and pushing it against the bottom of the door the second it was shut behind them.

“Sleep,” Sanghyuk said, moving to sit against a wall and pulling Hakyeon into his lap, “we’ll need all our strength so that we can get home the second the sun sets.”

“Right,” Hakyeon nodded, cuddling  against Sanghyuk and closing his eyes.

Sanghyuk closed his eyes as well, but could not find sleep. As much as he tried, the need to say something to his mate made it hard to drift away to dreamland. Sanghyuk had almost lost Hakyeon only a few hours ago, nearly had the one he loved stolen from his life. And he hadn’t even told Hakyeon just how much he meant to him.

Sanghyuk had promised, hadn’t he? To tell Hakyeon he loved him once he felt that way? And yet he’d been putting it off. A foolish thing to do, but for some reason he always got nervous when he started to say the three little words. And that was even more foolish because he knew Hakyeon returned his love. What was there to fear?

“Sanghyuk?” Hakyeon asked, apparently just as unable to find sleep, “are you still awake?”

“Yeah,” Sanghyuk nodded, “I…..I want to tell you something.”

“I want to say something too,” Hakyeon shifted so that he could look into Sanghyuk’s eyes, “can I go first?”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk nodded, curious about what Hakyeon could want to say so badly that it would keep him awake.

“I love you,” Hakyeon said, “more than anything in the world.”

“I know,” Sanghyuk smiled softly, pulling Hakyeon closer for a quick kiss, “you tell me every day.”

“I know I do,” Hakyeon sighed, “but…..but I don’t tell you that I’m scared you’ll never love me. That you’ll wake up one day and decide that I’m a pain or a burden or--.”

“You will never be any of that in my eyes,” Sanghyuk pledged, “I love you, Hakyeon. I will always love you. So get those foolish thoughts of being a burden out of your head.”

“I know you…..,” Hakyeon froze, processing everything that Sanghyuk had said, “you…..you love me?”

“I do,” Sanghyuk nodded, a smile lighting up his face, “and I always will.”

“You love me,” Hakyeon laughed happily, “you really love me.”

“I really love you,” Sanghyuk nodded, “for now until the end of time. I pledged that I would when I took you as my mate and I intend to live up to my word.”

Hakyeon hugged Sanghyuk tightly, overjoyed to hear those words from his mate……..no, his lover. It was like magic, how those three words kill any and all fears he had about Sanghyuk growing tired of him. Hakyeon pulled back slightly so that he could kiss Sanghyuk and the other responded just as passionately.

Eventually the pair fell asleep, holding each other tightly and smiling softly. Neither had felt this much at peace in ages.

 

--

 

“I’ll rip his throat out,” Taekwoon growled, crushing the glass he’d been holding.

“Taekwoon,” their leader sighed, “I know how you feel, I wish to do the same, but we can’t just charge in blindly. Wonsik will use it to his advantage and we could lose.”

“He’s right,” Sanghyuk nodded, tightening his hold on Hakyeon who was sitting in his lap, “Wonsik probably expects us to come attack him, too. He’s probably getting ready right now.”

“We need to wait,” Hakyeon nodded, “figure out a plan.”

“Then we kill him,” the leader nodded.

“I kill him,” Sanghyuk growled, “He’s threatened my mate. If anyone deserves the chance to rip his head off, it’s me.”

“You’re right, Sanghyuk,” his father nodded, “it’s only right that you be the one to take Wonsik’s life. The question is, should you.”

“Not following,” Hongbin frowned slightly.

The older vampire didn’t reply, just shared a knowing look with his youngest son. Sanghyuk frowned slightly before resting his head on Hakyeon’s shoulder. His father was very big on empathy and feeling remorse for those whose lives you ended. He encouraged his three children to feel remorse for lives they took, felt it gave them the humanity vampires could so easily lose.

If Sanghyuk killed Wonsik, he wasn’t sure he’d feel any remorse. And if Wonsik was right about them being alike………….

Sanghyuk suddenly didn’t want to be the one to take Wonsik’s life.

“We’ll talk about this later,” the leader sighed, “I think we all need time to think. I’m going to forbid anyone from leaving for the moment. I don’t want Wonsik to see it as a chance to go after our family.”

“Yes, sir,” everyone nodded before leaving.

Hakyeon took hold of Sanghyuk’s hand and lead him to their room. Inside, the pair curled up in bed, just holding each other. Sometimes they would kiss, just a soft brush of the lips, but mostly they just held each other tightly as if they thought that would keep the monsters in the closet from getting to them.

“I love you,” Hakyeon finally whispered, “no matter what.”

“I love you, too,” Sanghyuk replied, “always will.”

“Don’t worry, alright?” Hakyeon smiled, “you are nothing like him. You’ll never be like him.”

“If I kill him,” Sanghyuk sighed, “I wouldn’t think twice about it. Not ever a little. It………what does that say about me? About my humanity? If I wouldn’t feel bad about killing someone?”

“You would feel bad,” Hakyeon said, one hundred percent certain of his words, “maybe not right away, but you would in time.”

“How can you be so sure?” Sanghyuk asked, “When I’m not sure myself?”

“Because I know you,” Hakyeon said, pressing a kiss to his lover’s lips, “and know you better than anyone else.”

Sanghyuk wasn’t sure what to say to that. So instead of words, he just deepened the kiss. When dawn finally came several hours later, it found the couple laying in their bed completely spent and happy. Sanghyuk held his lover tightly in his arms as he slept, proud smile still on his face after marking Hakyeon over and over. Hakyeon looked just as pleased, not just with having marked Sanghyuk’s neck and shoulders completely, but with the knowledge that he’d made Sanghyuk feel better and see things the way he did.

 

--

 

“Stay close,” Sanghyuk told Hakyeon, “if you get into trouble, call me. Don’t think, just call my name and I’ll help you.”

“And you do the same for me,” Hakyeon smiled softly, pressing a kiss to Sanghyuk’s hand which held his, “if you need help, get me.”

“Promise,” Sanghyuk nodded.

“Promise,” Hakyeon nodded as well.

Seconds later, the leader ordered the attack to begin.

Sanghyuk and Hakyeon stayed true to their words, neither straying too far from the other. Neither had any trouble with Wonsik’s clan, both far stronger than anyone who dared try to attack them. Hakyeon felt a little disheartened about that since he kind of liked the idea of going to help his lover fight. But so long as they both still drew breath, it was alright.

About an hour into the battle, the leader entered the room holding a limp Wonsik.

“It’s over,” the leader called out, “stand down.”

Sanghyuk was by Hakyeon’s side before the last of Wonsik’s clan bowed down.

“It’s done,” Sanghyuk breathed, pulling Hakyeon into his arms, “it’s over.”

“Is he dead?” Hakyeon asked, glancing at Wonsik.

“No idea,” Sanghyuk replied, “and…..not sure if I care too much either.”

“Go home,” Taekwoon advised, moving to stand beside the pair, “we can deal with all of this.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk said before leading Hakyeon out.

“Where now?” Hakyeon questioned, “home?”

“I was thinking of going for a walk,” Sanghyuk replied, “do you want to come with me?”

“Yes,” Hakyeon nodded, realizing very quickly that Sanghyuk was asking him out on a date, “Let’s go.”

“You realize,” Sanghyuk smiled slightly as the pair walked hand in hand through the park a few minutes later, “with Wonsik gone, we can go out every night and do whatever we wish.”

“I know,” Hakyeon giggled, “so I expect you to ask me out on dates more often.”

“I’ll remember that,” Sanghyuk laughed along, “how do you feel about the beach for our next date?”

“Sounds wonderful,” Hakyeon said.

And the pair walked off into the night, simply enjoying each other’s company.

A/N: oh my goodness, it’s finally done. I honestly thought it would take a few more days but……*shrug* I got some time to write and write I did. I hope you all liked this one because I know I did.