trying hard not to fall on the way home.

(Leave This) Blue Neighbourhood

Almost a week has passed since the final match happened. Donghyuk has been crossing off dates on his wall calendar, counting days until the announcement of the final member will be revealed. Junhwe, Yunhyeong, and Chanwoo are confirmed to be a part of the group.

He's happy for his friends, of course. It's now between him, Jinhyeong, and Hongseok - only one will be able to make it to the final line-up. During dark nights where the moon shines less bright than other nights, nonsensical worries breaks him down like waves crashing hard to the shore. He'd find it hard to sleep because he's so used to sharing a room with someone else, sleeping alone becomes a torture to him. He'd wake up the next morning with dark rings under his eyes and he'd set up a meeting with whoever's available at that time. 

It's Hongseok on Sunday, a casual stroll around Han river, reliving their route to their old dorm before bidding a goodbye with small smiles. It's hard to smile when it felt like it's his last opportunity to spend time with the older guy.

Tuesday's a short encounter with Chanwoo. The younger used the opportunity to ask him for an ice cream, in which he blatantly refused at first but the boy's big, convincing puppy eyes was able to alter his mind, so they shared a cup of triple scoop chocolate ice cream on their way to Chanwoo's home.

It's Jinhyeong for the day after. They went for some coffee and had some nice little chit-chats, the other male told him some kind of story which was supposed to be funny, but he couldn't recall what's it about and yet he could still heard a laugh emitting from the other's mouth. Somehow, Donghyuk laughed - freely, without having a care in this world - for the first time this week.

He met Yunhyeong yesterday. Yunhyeong's kind enough to treat him some delicious meat at his parents' restaurant. They ate and ate and ate until their stomachs couldn't handle the generous food supply anymore.

There's only one person left whom he hasn't contacted during this 'separation' period. Goo Junhwe. It's probably a coincidence, it's not like he's avoiding Junhwe. No, of course not. If anything, he misses the tall and frank guy, but it's not like he can admit it out loud.

Looking back through the days where they recorded Mix & Match, it seems like they have less and less opportunity to talk. With the arrival of Chanwoo, there's no more reason for them to fight over the maknae title. Junhwe's confidence also detoriated during one period so he completely shut himself off from everyone. Donghyuk wanted to help, but he's sure that he won't be that much help, too - since he was facing with his own obstacles too. Even when a new day has started with the sun slowly rising from its sleep, none was willing to greet the other first with a simple hello or good morning.

And last night when he's on his way home after the meeting with Yunhyeong, Donghyuk didn't expect Junhwe to reply his short text message consisting only four words: "Hi. How are you?"

"Hello. I'm good. And you?" was Junhwe's reply. He was rather confused how could Junhwe just feel 'good' when he's already a confirmed member of iKON. Then again, it's Goo Junhwe we're talking about here, the boy's face muscles barely reacts most of the time.

He couldn't quite recall how the conversation progressed into him asking the younger to meet somewhere. They agreed to meet at the park near Han river. That's until his phone buzzed a few minutes later. He received another message from Junhwe, who said that his mother invited him for a dinner. It'd be rude to decline the kind offer so his meet-up plan somehow turned into a dinner with Junhwe and his mother. 

"Send my greetings to Junhwe and his mom!" Donghyuk's mom had said as he bid her a goodbye. He could hear her shouting "Be careful on your way there!" just as he closed the door, a soft smile forming on his lips.


So right now he's heading to the Goos residence, dressed up neatly in a white button up shirt topped with a grey cardigan, light washed denim and a pair of white sneakers. He had make sure that his hair doesn't look too shabby and whatnot - spending extra time to blow-dry his hair into fluffy perfection.

The weather's getting more chilly day by day. With the cold breeze blowing against his lean frame, he finds himself stuffing his hands into his cardigan's pockets, searching for warmth in the middle of walking through the crowd. He's trying his best to appear like any other normal citizen, blending in with the rest of the citizens of Seoul who are busy strutting their ways around the street, sometimes brushing past each other with hurried steps.

For once, he actually feels like he's just another human being living in such a big, big world.

Thankfully, he reaches the Goos residence without any encounter with fans or anyone recognizing him - they were all too busy looking into the screen of their smartphones, anyway.


Dinner passed by with polite smiles and small conversations with Mrs. Goo. She told him how she's silently rooting for him to make it to the final line up, and he feels very grateful for that. A whole lot of food are served on the wooden table, ranging from bulgogi to kimbap, sundubu jjigae to yukgaejang - he thought that they couldn't finish all those foods but surprise, surprise, his appetite seems to double by the time Mrs. Goo placed a plate of fresh kimchi she just took out from the fridge.

Once they're done, Mrs. Goo is in charge to clean the table while both Donghyuk and Junhwe take turns to wash the dirty dishes.

They haven't talked yet, he realizes. He only exhanged words with Mrs. Goo while her son only stayed quiet while munching a spoonful of everything.

"You're not cleaning it properly, you idiot," It's not a decent conversation starter, but Donghyuk couldn't think of anything else when Junhwe seems to be doing his chore half-heartedly.

"Then you do it," Junhwe manages a chuckle as he steps aside for Donghyuk to take his place. Donghyuk rolls his eyes in response before demonstrating the younger male on how to clean the dish properly.

Junhwe doesn't say anything as Donghyuk finishes cleaning up the last plate.

(Donghyuk swears he could feel Junhwe's eyes boring holes into his back when he was still washing the dishes.)

The taller male beckons him to his room, muttering something along the lines of "My mom will watch her favorite drama and we better not disturb her." 


There aren't many things scattered around in Junhwe's room. It's more on the tidier side, quite the opposite of what he was expecting.

Junhwe crawls up to bed, sitting down while leaning his back to the headboard and Donghyuk settles for the black office chair beside the bed.

"So, what are you up to these days?" Junhwe's voice diverts his attention from the bleak wall he is staring at.

"Oh, nothing much," he blurts out. "I mean, I've been meeting up with the others for the past few days. Congratulating those who got in, and wishing the rest the best of luck for the last spot in the group,"

Junhwe notices the slight uneasiness in the elder's voice. He's not used to the slightly troubled expression shown on his face, Donghyuk has always been the one to pick arguments and but right now the elder's smile doesn't seem to reach his eyes.

"What about you?"

"Huh?" Junhwe's too deep inside his own thoughts to process Donghyuk's question.

"How have you been?"

"Sleeping. Resting. Eating. Pretty basic stuff," he states the obvious while shrugging. But really, those are all of the things he's been doing lately. He knows that he'll get less sleep once he returns back to the dorm.

"Ah..." Donghyuk nods while chewing onto his inner cheek, his mind can't seem to think of anything to keep the conversation going.

The silence is heavy for the next few minutes, he could hear the faint sound from the television in the living room. That's how silent the room has became. His fingers keeps on drumming against the mattress, his gaze locked onto the wall once more.

"Why are we so awkward?"

"Come here."

They both said in unison as their eyes meet, one with an eyebrow raised as the other one looks slightly flustered at what he just said.

The word "What," leaves Donghyuk lips faster than his mind could come up for a better word. He's not sure whether he needs to get his ear checked or did Junhwe just ask him to come next to him.

"What?" Junhwe questions, trying his upmost best to keep his composure yet his reddened ears proves otherwise.

"What did you just say?" Donghyuk asks, his head cocking to one side.

"Come here?" he blinks. "That chair looks uncomfortable," That's it. He wants the earth to swallow him as a whole right this moment because that last bit was unneccessary. That chair looks uncomfortable. Really, Junhwe? he thought to himself.

So my ears are perfectly fine, Donghyuk thought. He doesn't ask why to the younger's request and climbs up to the bed, sitting down onto the space next to him as he tries to fit in the single-sized bed. It's pretty tight but they've slept in Donghyuk's bunk bed together back at the dorm so this is bearable.

Another wave of silence passed by, except that this one isn't as awkward as the previous one. Junhwe's eyes flickers back and forth from his palms to the the smaller male whose palms are slightly shivering from the cold. So it takes a few funky foot movements until the blanket reaches his arms before he passes it on to the other male.

Watching Junhwe trying to get the blanket for him is an amusing sight to see because the boy is lazier than a sloth yet he still bothers to get some blankets for him (hence the usage of his feet instead of his hands). Donghyuk appreciates the small gesture as he mouths a "Thank you," before coccooning himself inside the blanket.

"You haven't answered my question, you know." Donghyuk says, throwing him a quick glance.

"Which question?" Junhwe asks with a blank look as he turns his head to face Donghyuk. His breath got caught in his throat because he hasn't been able to see him at such close proximity after they've moved out of the dorm. He studies his face carefully, his eyes scanning each and every feature and he wants to touch his face so badly yet his courage falters because he's scared.

He's scared of what will his reaction be. He's not like Jiwon who can get clingy and touchy with everyone and gets away with it because he's Jiwon. He's scared of the effect the said action would bring to their friendship because no matter how much they tease each other, Donghyuk will always listen to his problems and worries with his sweet smile that could erase all of the negative thoughts in his mind like how you click the delete button on the keyboard.

Donghyuk knows. He knows that Junhwe's looking- no, staring at him with an indecipherable look. He knows that Junhwe has something to say with just one look on the younger's eyes. It looks lost and confused, he thought.

He knows that he should break the silence this time but he likes it. He likes the attention Junhwe's currently giving him. He likes the look despite not knowing what it means, and he likes the silence now because it makes him forget about his initial worries.

"Why are we so awkward?" he repeats his question this time. He can't help but to miss their illogical banters, stupid arguments and meaningless retorts. Their situation now is a 180 degree change and he wants their usual interactions back.

The question breaks Junhwe from his little bubble. He blinks not once, nor twice, but thrice. "I-" his inability to answer earns a small chuckle from the other's lips.

"I wondered whether it's my fault that we didn't talk at all this past week and maybe it is. I should've set my ego aside and texted you first instead of waiting like a fool," Donghyuk's words comes out in a soft mutter, a voice that can only be heard by both of them. There's no turning back now, he thought. Everything that has been hiding in the darkest corners of his mind has finally spilled out.

Junhwe's about to interrupt his words when he holds a finger up, signalling him that he's far from finishing his talk. The boy's lips are pressed into a line, letting him to continue his talking.

"I wondered what makes it seem like we drifted apart. Maybe it's the damn survival show that almost broke our group apart, maybe it's the stress piling up inside me, or maybe it's just a phase," he takes a deep breath before continuing.

"I wondered why we stopped arguing, teasing, and picking on each other. I prefer all of that than all of the silence we've shared today," 

"I wondered-"

"Stop. Stop it. It's not your fault," Junhwe says although he's not facing him directly, his eyes looking anywhere but the elder's face as he's fidgeting in his seat. "It's mostly my fault," For thinking too much about us. "Because I should've tried harder to take your mind off of your worries by hanging out with you yesterday or the day before that or two days before that instead of now,"

"Then why didn't you?" Donghyuk has to hold the younger's wrist to stop him from shifting in his position too much.

"I wanted to. But I couldn't."

"Why?" He's been asking this question way too often for his liking.

"I'm sorry for making you ask questions that even I, myself couldn't answer,"

Why are you being so cryptic? "Shut up for a second and look at me. I'm not talking to your nose, aren't I?" he scoffs.

"Sorry," While heaving a heavy sigh, Junhwe finally gains enough guts to look into Donghyuk's dark brown orbs. The dark circles under his eyes makes him wonder whether the elder even manage to sleep for the past few days. Guilt starts to wash over him because he has been having no trouble sleeping. It's the only method to take his mind off of things he shouldn't be worrying about. You, for example, he thought.

He's worried that once Donghyuk sees his eyes, he can see through that almost transparent wall of defense into his mind. His mind has been a wreck, but mostly, it has been flooded by the thought of Donghyuk not making into the group. He's sure as heck that Donghyuk will make it but he still couldn't shoo the thought away. He can't bear the thought of him having to part ways with his favorite person in the dorm. And apparently, he might've said that last thought out loud. Oh crap.

"Favorite person in the dorm? Me?" All of a sudden, he's no longer wondering why did their relationship became awkward because he has a more important question: why does Junhwe think of him as his favorite person in the dorm?

Junhwe's face flushes a light shade of red, mentally cursing at his own self because of the most idiotic slip of his tongue. "Yes," 

"But you're not my favorite person in the dorm," Donghyuk says in a teasing tone.

Apparently, Junhwe can't catch the teasing tone in his voice. "Oh," Junhwe's face falls. He doesn't know how to respond. How idiotic of him to think that Donghyuk would say the same. He probably thinks of him as just an annoying and snarky friend. Nothing more.

"I like you, though. A lot," It's cute to see the shift of Junhwe's expression of grim into lighting up like a lightbulb into his usual dumbfounded face. Donghyuk can't fight a soft chuckle from escaping through his lips. "Do you like me too?" he muses as he inches his face closer to the younger's face.

Junhwe doesn't answer. His tongue feels numb, his mind is frozen yet it feels like there's a huge weight lifted up from his shoulders. I like you, though. A lot. Those words rings like a broken record at the back of his head. He suddenly feels silly for overthinking things.

He leans in closer until their noses brushes softly against each other's, the latter's breath ghosting against his skin. His stomach churns because Donghyuk doesn't pull away and only looks at him with an expectant gaze. With one single move, he latches his lips onto the other male's. He doesn't know where or how he gained that much courage to kiss him and his hazy mind doesn't provide any answers either.

"Does this answers your question?" Junhwe bluntly asks, breaking the kiss but not distancing his face too much from the other's with the tips of their nose still touching.

Donghyuk needs time for his brain to process the whole situation. It seems like time doesn't work here which makes his brain fail to function. He can't think of a coherent reply as he searches the taller's eyes for any sign of doubt (or whether this is some kind of a sick prank) but the glint in his eyes shows nothing but bluntness. Although it softens for a mere second as his body gets pulled closer.

Without realizing, his lips found its way to Junhwe's. His eyes closing, his arms encircling on the taller's neck and he can feel a pair of arms wrapping loosely on his waist. He swears he could feel the other's lips stretching into a toothy smile.

Junhwe smells like musk with a hint of fresh cotton, Donghyuk notes that in the back of his head, while Junhwe registers in his mind that Donghyuk's sweet scent reminds him of icing sugar and vanilla.

Junhwe's mind is clouded with want and need as Donghyuk climbs up onto his lap, his blanket slipping away to the floor. The slow and languid moves of tongues against lips turns into a lot of biting and nibbling and as he tastes iron on his lips. He pulls away for a moment, his eyes fluttering open to see a drip of red on his lips and he turns his gaze to Donghyuk, in which the male looks at him with a coy smile, obviously the culprit behind his bleeding lips.

Donghyuk gives Junhwe's lips a gentle , just to stop the bleeding before he parts his lips when he feels a tongue poking into the seam of his lips. 

A familiar tune of Sinosijak interupts their activity. Junhwe's eyebrows furrows together in confusion because that's not his ringtone. Donghyuk knows it his phone ringing but he chooses to ignore the call. Just as the call ends, the same tune repeats itself for the second time. A small whine escapes through his lips when Junhwe pulls his head away and mutters. "Just answer it first,"

So he did. The caller turns out to be Hanbin, whose loud voice can be heard through the speaker as soon as he accepts the call. Hanbin's spills the news, telling him that he made it as the final member of iKON.

"Oh, okay. Great. Bye," His answer is probably far from what Hanbin expected. He should've at least said it in a more happy tone but he has other things to handle right now. He ends the call before Hanbin could nag at him about his unenthusiastic response.

"Was that Hanbin hyung?" Junhwe asks. Although he could practically hear the whole conversation because of Hanbin's loud voice blasting through the speakers.

"Yup," Donghyuk replies with a nod.

"What did he say?"

"That I made it through as an iKON member," he couldn't hide the joy in his face as his eyes disappears into small and happy crescents.

"Congratulations!" Junhwe cheered in delight, rewarding him with a peck on the cheek.

Donghyuk laughs at Junhwe's straightforwardness, one of his eyebrows quirking up. "Who allowed you to peck my cheek?"

"I did," Junhwe nods firmly.

"You did?"

"Mhm.. Can't I peck my boyfriend's cheeks?"

"Boy- what? Since when did I become your boyfriend," Donghyuk deadpans.

"Just now." Junhwe answers as-a-matter-of-factly.

"But you never asked!"

"Don't need to. I know your answer already." Junhwe hums as he pecks Donghyuk's other cheek. Bless his sudden surge of confidence.

"You need to! And how are you so sure that I'll say yes?" he retorts while crossing his arms.

"Because you like me. A lot," Junhwe imitates his words sloppily with a big, wide cheeky grin stretched on his lips. "Don't you like me too?"

"Argh," he messes his bangs in frustration. " you,"

"Whoa. Calm down. We haven't even passed first base yet," Junhwe snickers.

A grumbled "I hate you so much," leaves his lips before he tackles the taller male and pinches his sides, forearm, and every other body part he could identify.

Junhwe laughs. Donghyuk's pinches are harmless and if any, it tickles him more than it could hurt him. He lets the other male pinch him until the activity tires him out. Huffing, Donghyuk lies down on top of Junhwe who's sprawled on the bed.

"Anyway, what do you think Hanbin hyung will do to you after hearing your not so enthusiastic response?"

"Of the final member line-up revelation?"

"Mhm."

"I don't know. But my boyfriend will be there to protect me, won't he?" Donghyuk asks, facing directly onto Junhwe - his now-boyfriend's stupid face.

"Of course, he will," Junhwe nods with a smug smile, his stomach does this flip-flop thingy and he feels like a teenage girl but he doesn't care. Donghyuk has acknowledged him as his boyfriend.

Speaking of the devil, Hanbin's name pops up on Donghyuk's phone as his phone rings.

"Should I answer it?"

"No," Junhwe replies before both of them shares a laugh.


Back in the dormitory, a sulking Hanbin is curled up in Jiwon's arms. Jiwon is watching a marathon of Harry Potter on TV as he listens to his boyfriend's rant about Donghyuk.

"Why isn't he answering my call? And why was his response like that? Has he became arrogant? Where is he, anyway?" Hanbin's rambling goes on and on while Jiwon can only pat his back in a gentle rhythm.

"Just let them be," Jiwon reassures him with a comforting squeeze on his shoulder.

"Them? What do you mean by 'them'?"

"Donghyuk and Junhwe. He's in Junhwe's apartment," Jiwon states.

"How did you acquire this piece of information?" Hanbin questions, narrowing his eyes to his boyfriend.

"Um.. I received a text from Junhwe,"

"And why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Because uh.. because I just received the text," Jiwon hopes that he said it convincing enough. He had received the text 30 minutes ago and he was too preoccupied with Harry Potter competing in the Goblet of Fire that he forgot to tell Hanbin about it.

Hanbin sees through the lie easily (because he knows his boyfriend too well) and rolls his eyes in annoyance. "Yeah, right."

 


no limit gon' touch the sky ; my one year old junhyuk draft is finally done. in case this confused you guys, the members (who weren't fixed members so this excludes jinhwan, bobby, and hanbin) moved out of the dorm while waiting for the final member lineup. this really took long because i lost my muse but now with the debut of ikon, my creative juices are overflowing lol i had to put in jibin somewhere in the fic xD i hope you guys will like it!