(031) ♡ thunder

A Cat's Love Story

Finally, after days and days of waiting, Lupin has returned. I can hear the soft pitter-patter of her paws on the tiles, followed by others. Hello is with her.

Crouching down to meet her eye level, I gently pat Hello's fur down. He's so small, so thin, compared to Lupin. Hello purrs, and nuzzles deeper into my palm. "How is she, boy?" I mumble. Of course the cat cannot talk. He merely meows a short reply, and walks off into the unknown, Lupin following his tail.

When the phone rings, I leap up to answer it. I'm fairly surprised when a soft voice, a hint of a baby-accent, speaks. "Hyung," Hoon mumbles, as if he's whispering. I can hear mumurs in the background, probably far away. His parents are probably having a really serious, like they usually do.

"Hoon? Is that you?"

"Hyung...Jungwoo Hyung...he's at our house." That's all it takes for me to be rushing out of the kitchen, slipping a coat on. As soon as I turn the knob on the door, though, I can hear a rumble of thunder. I scowl, grabbing a nearby umbrella. I cross the threshold, and step out. It's pouring outside. The rain falls down like a waterfall, the thunder cackling in the sky like popcorn. As the lightning flashes for the fifth time, I'm suddenly struck by a distant memory.

One of a girl, hiding in a closet.

Instantly I hit a dilemma; find Jungwoo and drag him out from my relative's hairs, or go and find Nana. I stand there in the rain, umbrella stiff in my hands, and make a run for the house next door. I try the door but, obviously, it's locked. Running around to the back, I can see a window leading to the living room.

Without thinking, I throw the umbrella through the glass, and watch as it lands on the other side. I poke my arm through the small hole that it made, lightly scratching my skin on the shards of glass sticking out, and unlock the window. I jump in, and start looking for her.

"Nana?" I shout, over the booming thunder. I can only think of one place where she can be. After walking down the hallway, I push open the door leading to her bedroom. It's completely empty except for the bed, table, and usual things. My eyes dart towards the deep brown closet on the right side of the room, and without hesitation, I fling it open.

Inside, is a girl with her hands over her ears. Her hair is flopped over one eye, terror running through both. A small sound escapes her lips, though the only thing I can make out is, "Where's the cat?"

"Nana?" I whisper, making her look up at me. There are tears pouring down her cheeks. "Nana, look at me..."

She shakes her head, curling up into a little ball. Throughout it all, she continues to sing. "The cat, only the cat did not show. Did she forget? Or was she in her dreams?"

I watch her for a minute, and as more thunder cackles, she flinches, but continues. I sigh, but, without a choice, climb into the closet along with her. I shut the door tightly, leaving us in the darkness. As her song continues, I begin to pick up the lyrics. And then, in the loudest voice I can manage, I begin to sing with her. 

Nana's large eyes widen as I sing, remove her hands from her ears and wrap my own around her head. "The cat called on everybody. The cat, only the cat showed this time. Did they forget? Or were they in their dreams?" I wipe her cheeks, that are soaked with her tears. 

We sit in that cramped, little closet. It's completely empty, and I finally realise the exact reason for this closet. We stay in the same position until the sun comes out, and both our voices have disappeared.


"Are you okay now?" I ask her, watching her lie on her side on the bed. She sits up, wiping tears that drip off. "Of course, I'm fine," she hiccups.

"Why didn't you tell me you were this scared of lightning?" I ask her, shaking my head.

Nana wraps her blanket tightly around her shoulders. I should feel awkward, sitting on this chair and watching her lie in bed, but I don't. Instead, it feels so right. Her nose is al red, her large eyes still watering. You know how some girls look pretty when they cry? Nana isn't one of those girls.

Instead, she looks something like a little cat. A little cat who cries and cries and wipes it's little tears with it's paws. "Why are you scared?" I ask her again, prompting an answer. "Can you tell me?"

She looks down, probably unsure of a desicion. Does she trust me enough to tell me about her past? I don't. I wouldn't tell me anything, if I were her. But I don't think I could ever tell her about Jungwoo, or my parents. It still seems like a mystery, even to me.

"My mum was never around," she confesses. "And when I was younger, and there was a thunder storm, I had no parents to comfort me, or tell me that it was okay. I was really scared, even then, so I used to hide in closets, because well, I liked the darkness..." The light blush spreading around her cheeks is oddly adorable.

"You liked darkness? Aren't most kids scared of that?" I say, chuckling.

Nana shrugs. "It's better than the light, where everyone can see you," she whispers. I take a last look at those large, bambi eyes. Her lashes are wet with tears, her cheeks flushed. Suddenly, she casts a look at my arm, and gasps. "What hapepend?"

I look down at my arm, as if I can't remember, and at the blood gushing around small wounds. "I-oh...I'm sorry," I mumble. "I might've broken your window."

Nana frowns, and gets up to help me. Although I ended up with lots of harsh scratches, spending a few good hours in a closet singing, it was worth it. It was worth saving this girl as opposed to my baby brother.


if you're a bit confused, I'll explain it more in the next chapter!
HANEUL WILL BE COMING OUT SOON. SORRY.
I just wanted to enjoy the cute MyungNa scenes for now.. 3
and i'm hoping to get a slight MyungYeol scene too. kekeke ><