Memory Box

Memory Box

Taemin's P.O.V.

I'm at the bus stop with Jonghyun hyung, waiting for the next bus.

"Is it late?" I ask him.

He looks at the time on his phone and says, "Ani, it's still early."

"Oh." Was all I could say.

"Why are you so restless today?" He asks me.

"I'm not. I just didn't know the time and it felt like we've been waiting here a long time." I say to him.

"Did you lose your phone again?"

"Ne."

"Wear a watch whenever you do then." He says.

I smirk at him and say, "Then what would be your purpose be, hyung? You have to tell me the time."

"Yah!" He says with a smile and hits me in the arm.

While we continue to wait for the bus, a girl comes to stand next to us. She's humming a very familiar tune while listening to her iPod.

Yiruma's River Flows in You.

I never stare but I can't help thinking she looks cute. She has her dark brown hair in a high bun and she has dark brown eyes. I notice her attire is dolphins, oddly enough. She has a shirt with two dolphins swimming, dolphin earrings, a dolphin necklace, and blue jeans with an embroidered dolphin on her left pocket. I notice that even her iPod has dolphins on it.

She must really like dolphins!

"Yah!" Jonghyun hyung's voice interrupts my thoughts.

"Earth to Taeminnie!"

He waves his hand in front of my face.

"Mianhae..." I say to him as I feel myself blush.

"Just go ask her out!" He says with a smirk.

"Hyung-" I'm interrupted by a loud gasp and I turn around to see the girl looking at us.

"You're SHINee!" She says.

"Ne!" Jonghyun hyung says.

"I'm a huge fan of yours! I've been to your concerts before." She says to us.

"Ah, kamsahamnida!" Jonghyun says as he bows.

She looks at me and smiles as she says, "Taemin oppa! You're my bias!"

I feel embarrassed by her comment and Jonghyun hyung looks at me.

"Erm...the cat seems to have gotten his tongue suddenly." He says.

She giggles and I feel myself blushing even more.

"Well, our bus has finally arrived." I hear Jonghyun hyung say.

Has it? I didn't notice.

"I hope to see you again soon! You can count on me for being at your next concert." She says.

"Kamsahamnida! We look forward to seeing you. What's your name?" Jonghyun hyung asks.

"My name is Areum." She answers.

I see a sort of devious look in hyung's eyes before he continues to speak.

"Do you have a phone number to give so we can contact you? We want to make sure you're the first one to get a ticket and the best seat. We'll call you and you can come pick it up. Maybe even stay to see us practice? Also, we'll give you an autographed album." He says.

The reasons sound good but why do I feel like there is another reason behind asking for her phone number?

Areum's P.O.V.

With an offer like that, how can I not give my phone number? I think there's a more important reason, though.

I look at Taemin oppa and blush.

"Erm...can I have your hand?" I ask him.

He seems a little surprised but holds out his hand, nonetheless.

"I don't have a piece of paper. Mianhae." I say to him as I write my phone number on his hand with a pen from my purse.

Okay, so I really do have paper, but he doesn't have to know that. I want Taemin oppa to know I'm giving it directly to him. I'm sure he'll get the hint. How I've been dying to give him my number!

I finish writing on his hand.

"Please do give me a call. I'll look forward to it!" I say as I look directly at Taemin oppa.

He blushes and gives me a smile.

Taemin's P.O.V.

"A-annyeong!" I say to her to avoid standing there looking like a complete idiot. It was hard, though.

"Annyeong!" She smiles at us.

"Nice meeting you!" Jonghyun hyung says to her.

We climb onto the bus, seeing her waving at us, and we wave back.

"The pleasure was mine!" She says.

We take our seats in the bus, after she's out of our view, and sit down.

"Did you like my way of asking for you? I think she got the idea. That's why she wrote it on your hand, right?" Hyung says as he smirks.

I look surprised and feel myself blushing.

"Hyung! I knew you looked devious! That was your main reason the whole time, wasn't it?" I ask him.

"She'll still get the other stuff." He says.

I look at the number on my hand.

When do I call her? What's a good time? Is she busy?

"Just call her whenever you feel like." I hear Jonghyun hyung say as if he read my mind.

I look up at him and ask, "What do I say?"

"Say you want to see her." He answers.

"Hyung, what makes you think I wanted her number?" Curiosity got to me.

"I know you, don't you know that? I knew you were too shy to ask for yourself, so I asked her." He says.

"Thanks, hyung!" I say as I smile at him.

"No need to thank me, Taeminnie." He says.

Two weeks later...

"Taemin-ah, did you lose her number?"

I pretend I don't hear Jonghyun hyung and I continue to eat my breakfast.

Why do they keep asking about me calling her? They know I haven't gotten around to it and Jonghyun hyung saw me write her number down on a piece of paper before the ink washed away on my hand. They do this on purpose!

"He still hasn't called her, hmm?" Minho hyung says.

"He's procrastinating." Jonghyun hyung says.

I stop eating and immediately defend myself.

"I'm not procrastinating! I just don't know what to say or when is a good time to call her." I say to him.

"Just call her!" Key hyung says to me.

I groan and lean back in my chair.

"But I'm nervous!" I say to them.

"Think of it from her point of view, then." I hear Onew hyung say and I turn to look at him.

"Her point of view?" I ask him.

"Ne. She's been waiting for your phone call and probably excited. How do you think she feels when you keep putting it off? It makes it seem like you don't care, doesn't it?" He says to me.

"I never thought about that." I say to him.

I notice Jonghyun hyung get up from his seat, with another devious look in his eyes, and he leaves the kitchen.

"Hyung, what are you doing now?"

I see Key hyung smirk while he says, "Maybe he's doing what you're too shy to do."

Several seconds later, Jonghyun hyung appears with my phone and a piece of paper.

"I found the paper with her number and I got your phone." He says.

He smirks and holds the phone up for me to take.

"I even dialed it for you!"

"Hyung!" I say to him as I snatch the phone from his hand.

"What are you going to say?" Minho hyung asks me.

"I don't know and you guys aren't helping!" I say as I put the phone to my ear.

As I hear ringing on the other end, I notice my hyungs standing in a row and staring at me. I feel myself blush at this.

"Erm...can I do this privately? I'm nervous enough as it is!" I say to them.

"Are you sure you don't want us as support?" Onew hyung asks me.

I give him a doubtful look as I say, "Are you sure you're just here for support? Your intentions aren't to listen to the conversation?"

They all look at each other and pretend they don't know what I'm talking about.

"What do you mean?" Jonghyun hyung asks.

"She's not answering." I say to them.

"Try again." Key hyung says to me.

"Fine." I say.

I still see them standing in a row and staring at me.

Are they seriously trying to make me more nervous?

"I won't try again unless you all leave, though. Please?" I say to them.

They all sigh and leave the kitchen. I dial the number again and hope she answers.

Areum's P.O.V.

(A/N: The person talking through the phone will be in italic)

I wake up to hear Yiruma's River Flows in You playing.

"Uhhhh..." I moan.

I turn to see my phone on the nightstand ring, I lean in to pick up the phone, and I look at the number.

"Unknown?"

Then a thought hit me.

It must be Taemin oppa!

I quickly answer it.

"Annyeonghaseyo?"

"Annyeonghaseyo! Areum-ssi?" I hear, what I hope, is Taemin oppa on the other end.

"Ne! Taemin oppa?"

"It's me."

"I hoped it was."

"Did I wake you? You sound tired."

"Oh...well-"

"Mianhae!"

I feel myself smile at how cute he sounds.

"It's fine, oppa. Really! I just overslept. I haven't been feeling too well, that's all."

"I hope you feel better. It's nothing serious, I hope?"

"Ani, it's nothing I can't deal with."

There's an awkward silence for several seconds. I get the feeling I'm not the only one that's shy and embarrassed right now. Neither of us know what to say, I suppose. I try to think of something to say to end the silence.

"Erm...oppa?"

"Ne?"

"May I ask why you called?"

Hearing no response makes me second-guess the question I asked. I wait for a few seconds and then I hear his answer.

"Well...I like you. I mean, I want to know you. Is that weird? Am I being weird? Mianhae!"

"Ani, oppa! Of course, it's not weird. I'm glad! I want to know you, too. I feel like I already do, though. I've been a fan of yours for a long time now."

"K-kamsahamnida!"

I smile again due to his cute and embarrassed sounding voice.

"I'm glad I was at the bus stop that day. I was lucky, wasn't I?"

"Do you believe in fate?"

"I don't know. Do you?"

"Maybe sometimes."

"Sometimes, two people are meant to be together, I suppose."

I feel embarrassed right after the moment I said it. I clear my throat and change the subject.

"Uh...do you like dolphins?"

"Dolphins?"

"Ne."

"I don't know. Do you?"

"I love them!"

"Ne, I remember you wearing them when I first saw you."

That makes me smile to think he would even notice or pay attention.

"Um...oppa?"

"Ne?"

"Even if you're not able to talk with me all the time, you can text me whenever you want."

"Chincha? Oh...okay! That should be easy most of the time. Except when I'm performing or practicing, of course."

"I'll look forward to your texts!"

"I-I hope we can meet soon, Areum-ah!"

I smile and say, "I hope so, too!"

There's another awkward silence. I think of what I could say.

"Erm...oppa, can I see you practice sometime?"

"Ne! You can come today, if you want. We can go any place you want to afterwards!"

I'm surprised by this and I feel myself blushing.

Taemin's P.O.V.

I think I just asked her out and I feel myself getting embarrassed.

"Chincha? Daebak!"

I can't help smiling because she sounds so cute.

"Come by anytime after ten."

"Okay, text me the address later. See you soon, oppa!"

"See you!"

I hear her hang up and I end the call.

Am I really going to have my first date?

I hear a noise in the hallway and I turn to look. I'm surprised by what I see.

"You were listening that whole time?" I say.

My four hyungs look embarrassed and I can't help but smile.

"You eavesdropped!" I say to them.

I go after them and we run into the living room.

"I can't believe you!" I say to them as I pick up a pillow from the sofa and throw it at them.

"Well, we couldn't hear everything! We don't know some things she said." Jonghyun hyung says.

"For the record, it was Jonghyun's idea." Onew hyung says.

"Why are you blaming me? You all did it, too!" Jonghyun hyung says to him.

I just shake my head and sigh.

I hope they don't do anything embarrassing today in front Areum-ah!

Later that day...

Areum's P.O.V.

I'm outside the building and I hesitate going in.

I'm so nervous! And I'm meeting all of them, too! I get to see them practice!

I walk back and forth to get courage to go in.

Taemin's P.O.V.

"Stop being so nervous." I hear Key hyung say to me.

"I can't help it." I say to him.

I turn to look at our manager.

"Manager hyung, may you make sure she isn't here?" I ask him.

"You asked me that two minutes ago and she wasn't." He says.

"Two minutes ago was a long time." I say to him.

Manager hyung smiles and shakes his head.

"Fine, fine."

Manager hyung leaves the room and I sit down to try to calm my nerves.

Areum's P.O.V.

I walk inside the building and I'm greeted with, who I assume, is their manager.

"Areum-ssi?" He says to me.

"Ne." I nod.

"Please, follow me." He says.

I follow him into a large room. It's just as I've seen in videos. A big room with a wooden floor and mirrors all over the walls.

I see the SHINee members stand up from their seats when I enter the room.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" They all say to me with a bow.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" I say to them and I blush.

"So you're here to watch us practice?" Onew oppa asks me.

"Ne." I say to him.

Onew oppa smiles and motions for me to sit into a chair.

"Please, relax. I hope you have fun." He says to me.

"I'm sure I will. Kamsahamnida!" I say to him as I take my seat.

They start to play the music and I watch them begin to practice.

Is this real?

I notice a headache coming on but I try to ignore it.

I won't let it ruin my day!

 

I'm so bothered by the headache, I don't even notice Onew oppa walk up to me. I see his hand appear in front of me and I hit it away.

 
"No!"
 
I feel the pain from my headache lessen and I look up at Onew oppa. His face his filled with surprise and I feel myself getting guilty.
 
"Ah, mianhae! You scared me, that's all."
 
"Oh." Was all he said.
 
There's an awkward silence between us for a few seconds and I feel myself getting embarrassed.
 
"Onew oppa, I'm truly sorry." I say to him.
 
"Forget it, Areum-ssi." He says to me as he smiles.
 

I return the smile and I see him putting his hand in front of me again.

"Would you like to dance with us?" He asks me.

I feel myself blush at this.

"Oh, I couldn't!" I say to him.

He smiles and takes me hand to pull me up from my seat.

"Come on." He says to me.

"Are you sure it's okay?" I ask him.

"Ne." He says.

I smile at him and I join the others to dance with them.

A couple of hours later...

"I had a wonderful time! You're all even more amazing in person." I say to them.

They smile at me and bow.

"Erm...Areum-ah?" I hear Taemin oppa say.

I turn to look at him and say, "Ne, Taemin oppa."

"Are you ready?" He asks me.

"Ne!" I say to him.

The rest of the SHINee members wave to us.

"Have a good time!" Key oppa says.

"Don't keep her out too late." I hear Minho oppa say.

I feel like I'm in a dream.

Is this day really happening? A date with Taemin oppa?

Taemin's P.O.V.

I asked Areum-ah where she wanted to go and she said an aquarium. She likes to watch the dolphins swim. I'm a little surprised but not so surprised. I thought she would pick somewhere to eat or an amusement park. However, I'm not complaining. I'm happy just being with her.

"Erm...you look nice in that outfit." I say to her and I feel myself blush.

"Oh, kamsahamnida, oppa! Purple is my favorite color." She says and I notice her blushing, as well.

"It still doesn't do you justice, though." I say to her.

We both blush at this.

I hear her starting to hum Yiruma's River Flows in You.

"You really like that tune, don't you?" I ask.

"Ne." She says.

"Me too." I say to her.

"It's such a beautiful piano piece by a talented pianist. I really loved it when you performed it at the piano on stage before!"

"Ah, kamsahamnida!" I say to her, feeling myself blush.

"Do you think you could play it for me sometime?" She asks me.

"If you want." I say to her.

She continues to look at the dolphins and says, "I love dolphins. I wish I could just reach out and touch them. Do you know how smart they are? They're beautiful, too. They're smart, kind, and you can trust them. You can trust them more than people."

I hear a hint of sadness in her voice with the last line she said.

"You don't trust people?" I ask her.

"Not easily. Every time I trust someone, they end up doing something to make me regret it. My heart opens to someone, only to have it broken." She says.

"I'm sorry to hear that." I say to her.

"Ani, oppa. You have no reason to be sorry. It's their fault, not yours. My appa made promises to my umma and said how he loved me. But he broke his vows to umma and he left my heart shattered. He left his family for a woman. As for my umma, she promised we would be together. She said she would never leave me and that she would never hurt me like appa. However, she did hurt me and me left me just like appa. She killed herself when I was a teenager. About friends, I've never had many. When I thought I had friends, they ended up not really being my friends at all. People judge, lie, and hurt you with their words. They stab you in the back and don't care about you at all. I wonder if it's just me. Why else would anybody never love me?"

 
"So, how did you take care of yourself?" I ask.
 
"I stayed with an aunt. She got tired of me and made me leave when I was old enough to live on my own. I got a job after that and started working towards college. I did and that's what I'm doing. Working and studying is hard but I make do. I'm used to being alone and taking care of myself."


Her story makes me sad.

A kind and beautiful person like Areum-ah shouldn't have had to go through so much pain in her life. No wonder it's hard for her to trust people. I need to think of some encouraging words, while being the truth, of course.

"Not everybody is like that. How the people you've met have been, I mean." I say to her.

"Are you saying I'm just a magnet to all the bad people in this world?" She ask me.

"It might not be easy but you have be willing to find the good people and to trust them. Or else, how will you find love?" I tell her.

"I put myself in a protective barrier. I don't open it unless a person cares to try at breaking it. If a person tries breaking it, that's love, isn't it? It must be if they care to try. I'll find love that way. When someone tries to break it, that's love." She says as she looks at me.

I look at the dolphins swimming and we remain silent for several seconds.

I want her to know she can trust someone. She shouldn't be alone and sad in the world. Would she ever trust me?

"Areum-ah?"

She looks at me.

"Would you let me try breaking your barrier?" I ask her.

She seems a little surprised by my question.

"Hmm?" She asks.

"Would you let me try breaking your barrier?" I repeat to her.

I see tears start to form in her eyes and a smile appear on her face.

"I would be sad if you didn't, oppa."

I smile at her.

Several months later...

Author's P.O.V.

 
"I noticed it the first day we met her." Onew says.
 
"What happened?" Minho asks him.
 
"I walked over to her and held out my hand for her to take. It looked like she was in pain a little bit. Anyway, she slapped my hand away and said, 'no'." Onew answers.
 
"I looked over there and I saw that. What do you think made her behave like that?" Key says.
 
"I think there's something wrong with her. Last night, I overhead Taemin talking to her on his phone. I heard her shouting on the other end but I couldn't make out the words. Poor Taeminnie didn't say anything, he just listened." Says Jonghyun.
 
"The longer you know her, the more you start to notice it." Minho says.
 
"Have you noticed anything?" Onew asks Minho.
 
"Well, I think we all do sometimes. I mean, we all notice she can be in pain sometimes." Minho answers.
 
"Ne. She tells Taemin it's just headaches and that he shouldn't worry." Key says.
 
"If I were Taemin, I would worry." Jonghyun says.
 
"Worry about what?"
 
They turn around and see Taemin standing in the hallway.
 
Taemin's P.O.V.
 
On my way to the living room, I hear the members discussing Areum-ah.
 
Is this what they do when I'm not around? They say she has problems behind my back?
 
"Worry about what?" I ask them.
 
They look up at me.
 
"Taemin-ah, we're worried about Areum-ssi." Jonghyun hyung says.
 
"She said she's fine. It's just headaches." I say to him.
 
"Taeminnie, you know that's not it. There's more to it than that and she isn't telling you." Minho hyung says to me.
 
"You notice it, too, don't you?" Onew hyung asks me.
 
"It's just headaches and she gets a little upset and frustrated once in while. That's all, Onew hyung!" I say to him.
 
"Was last night 'a little upset and frustrated'? By the way, did you resolve that matter?" Jonghyun hyung asks.
 
"She apologized this morning." I answer him.
 
"Taemin-ah, you need to get to the bottom of this." Key hyung says to me.
 
"I trust her! She said there's nothing to worry about and I refuse to worry! I would appreciate it if you guys didn't tell me what to do or how to do it! Also, I would you like to stop talking about her 'problems'! Especially, behind my back." I say to them.
 
I don't like that I got upset with them but I am upset! I'm upset that Areum-ah doesn't tell me anything.
 
"You have no idea how many times I bring it up to her. Every time I ask, she gives the same answer about how it's just a headache and that she's fine. Whenever I push the subject, she gets frustrated. I don't bring it up anymore to avoid an argument. Also, she asks me to trust her and I will. Would you trust her, too, hyungs? Please?" I say to them.
 
They all look at each other and there's silence for several seconds.
 
"Fine, Taemin-ah. We're sorry." Onew hyung says.
 
"I know you just care. Gomawo!" I say to them.
 
"Well, are you ready to go shopping?" Key hyung asks me.
 
"I don't like shopping but I'm ready." I answer.
 
Later...


"Explain to me why you wait the day before her birthday to buy her a gift." Key hyung asks me.

"I was trying to think of what to get her. Do you have any ideas?" I ask.

"You know her more than me. What does she like?" He asks me.

"Dolphins and purple!" I say to him.

"How is that supposed to be a gift? Are you going to buy a dolphin, paint it purple, and put it in a big fish tank for her to keep? Think of something else." He says to me.

But what?

"Come on, let's try this gift shop." Key hyung says.

We walk inside the gift shop and start looking around.

"When you find something, go ahead and buy it for her." He says to me.

I see him starting to walk away and I take his arm.

"Yah! Where are you going? You promised you would help." I say to him.

"Just buy what you think she would like. I said I would be with you and I am. I really don't think I can help. You know what she likes, not me. So find something you think she would like and buy it for her. As for me, I'm going to buy things that I like." He says.

I let go of his arm and sigh as he walks away.

What do I buy her?

 
An hour or so later...
 
"I'm getting tired! We've been in and out of every gift shop! Can't you pick something?" A frustrated Key hyung says to me.
 
"We haven't tried this one, yet." I say.
 
"Isn't the gift in the journey? Get her anything! Even I'm tired of shopping." Key hyung says.
 
I sigh and we walk into the shop.
 
"Just give me ten minutes." I say to him.
 
"Fine. I'll be back here in five minutes." He says to me as he walks away.
 

I start to look around the shop.

"Things she likes. Hmm, what do I get?"

I see something purple and immediately rush over to it.

What's this?

I pick up the object to examine it closely. It's a purple music box with dolphins painted all over it. I feel myself smile and get excited. I open the music box and inside I see a silver dolphin moving. The music that plays is Yiruma's River Flows in You.

It's perfect!

Areum's P.O.V.

 

I'm scared to tell Taemin oppa what is wrong with me. I'm afraid he'll leave me and won't care about me anymore. Everyone else has in my life.
 

I continue to cry in my pillow.

He has to know.

I reach for my phone and start to call him.

This is one time I hope he doesn't pick up!

I listen to the ringing on the other line and sniff away my tears.

"Areum-ah?"

"Ne. What are you doing, oppa?"

"Um...just shopping with Key hyung."

"Oppa, I have something to tell you. Do you think I could meet you?"

"I would want to but I have a schedule soon. Mianhae!"

"No, I understand. Why would you want to spend time with me anyway?"

"What are you talking about?"

I feel a headache coming and I try to ignore it, once again.

"Never mind."

"Areum-ah, you've been acting strangely lately. Are you sure you're all right? I don't like to push the subject but I really worry sometimes. I know you asked me not to but I can't help it. It's not that I don't trust you. You just seem to get frustrated easily and I second-guess the things I say to you sometimes. The headaches-"

"Stop with the headaches! I said I'm fine! Why are you being like this?"

"Like what? Worrying?"

"I told you not to worry!"

The headache is becoming unbearable now.

"I know-"

"Forget I ever said anything. Annyeong!"

I hang up on him and throw the phone down.

"Mianhae, Taemin oppa."

I throw myself back onto my pillow and start to cry.

I have to tell him about my disorder! He deserves to know.

The next day...

I'm here at the aquarium, in front of the dolphins, waiting for Areum. This has been our usual meeting place. We've grown close over the last few months and I think I've gotten that barrier broken. She has me worried sometimes but I try not to let it bother me. Besides, we fixed things yesterday. She apologized and now all is forgotten. This time, I'll try not to worry no matter what and I'll trust her. I won't bring up her headaches ever again.

I think I'm in love with her.

Today is her birthday and I want to tell her that with my gift to her. I might even try to tell her that I love her.

Should I just say it? Or should I do this speech? Would a whole long confession be cheesy?

My thoughts are interrupted when I see her walk up to me.

Areum's P.O.V.

"Annyeonghaseyo, oppa!" I say to him.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Areum-ah! Saengil chuka hamnida!" He smiles at me.

"Gomawo, oppa!" I return the smile.

I notice him holding a small cardboard box and curiosity sets in.

"Oppa, what's that you're holding?" I ask him.

"It's my birthday present to you." He answers.

I'm surprised by this and say, "But, oppa, you didn't have to! Why did you do that?"

"You're my friend. Of course, I would." He says.

Friend?

I blush and look at him.

"Just a friend, Taemin oppa? Is that all I am?" I ask him with a hint of mischievousness in my voice.

I notice him blushing and he holds the present out for me to take.

"Open it." He says.

He didn't answer my question.

I take the present from him and I open up the box. I see what it looks like another little box inside and I pull it out.

In my hands, is a music box. It's the most beautiful music box I've ever seen. It's purple, my favorite color, with gray dolphins painted all over it. I can feel my eyes begin to fill with tears.

"It's lovely!" I say to him.

"Now open the box." He says.

I open the box and I see a silver dolphin spinning around while playing a tune. I would know this tune anywhere.

Yiruma's River Flows in You.

"I remember hearing you hum it the first day that I met you. I like that tune, too. I also remember about how you said that you wished you could 'just reach out and touch them'." He says to me.

I watch the silver dolphin spinning around and I gently touch it with the tip of my figure.

"And now I can!" I say to him.

I look at him with tears in my eyes, close the music box, and hold it up to my chest.

"How can I ever thank you, oppa? I'll treasure it always. I love it so much!"

"I'm glad, Areum-ah!" He says to me with a smile.

"Erm..." I hesitate.

I can't say it! I don't even know if he feels the same way, for sure. He avoided the question when I asked if I was, "just a friend". I'll just be straightforward.

"Oppa, do you love me?"

He seems surprised by my question and blushes a little.

"Of course. You're my friend, Areum-ah."

"I don't mean just as a friend. I mean, do you really love me, Taemin oppa? More than just a friend?"

"Areum, are you asking me because you're in love with me? Do you wonder if I feel the same way?" He asks.

I blush and nod. "Ne. Saranghaeyo, Taemin oppa!"

I see him blushing and I wait for his answer.

 

He doesn't love me, does he? How could anyone love me?

I feel a headache coming on.

No, not now!

I wince and Taemin oppa immediately comes to my side.

"Areum-ah? Are you okay?" He asks me.

"No! You don't love me, do you?"

"Areum-"

"No!" I interrupt him. "I was so stupid! How could you ever love me? How could anyone ever love me?! I made up a fantasy, that's all. It's my fault. Annyeong, Taemin oppa."

I throw the music box at him and run away.

I made up lies. I believed what I wanted to and that's all. I'm so stupid!

Taemin's P.O.V.

I just barely catch the music box and keep it from falling.

"Areum-ah!"

I see her running away and I quickly follow her, music box in my hands.

"Areum-ah! Please, wait!"

What happened? What's wrong with her?

"Areum-ah, come back!"

I continue to follow her and I find us reaching a street. I stop running to avoid the traffic. However, I see Areum continuing to run.

"Areum-ah, get out of the way!"

I knew screaming was useless. Nothing could stop what was going to happen. I hear the horn from the red truck that was just inches away from her and she stops running. It's too late, however, and I see the red truck make contact with her body.

No words can describe how I felt then or what I saw. It was horrible.

Areum's P.O.V.

I don't know how long I've been running or where I'm going. I don't even know where I'm at. I don't know my surroundings. I feel like I'm in this bubble and I can't break free. A bubble of pain, sadness, and tears.

I hear a horn and that's when reality hits me.

I stop running, turn around, and see a flash of red coming towards me. I feel it hit me. I feel all this pain in my body and head. I see red underneath me. It must be my blood. I'm in so much pain. It overpowers the pain I felt in my heart just moments ago.

One person entered my mind before I feel myself losing consciousness.

Taemin oppa.

Taemin's P.O.V.

I could hear people screaming, someone calling 911, and I could see people running towards her lifeless body.

As for me, I just stand there. I hold the music box up to my chest and stare at Areum's lifeless body.

Is she dead? Or is she unconscious?

I'm too scared to find out. I don't want her to be dead. Somehow, I find my legs walking over to her body. Part of me doesn't want to but part of me wants. I have to.

I reach Areum's body and I kneel down.

"Areum-ah?"

I hear people talking and a crowd gathering. I don't know what they're saying. Right now, I'm just focused on Areum and how she's slowly opening her eyes.

"O-oppa?" I hear her say. It's a weak whisper but it's audible.

With one hand still holding the music box, my other hand takes one of her hands and holds it.

"I'm here, Areum-ah." I say to her.

"I'm so stupid, aren't I?"

"Of course, you're not stupid. How could you say that?"

"I never told you about my mental disorder."

What?

"Mental disorder?"

"I was afraid you would leave me if I told you. Everyone else did. I'm the problem, aren't I? Everyone gets tired of me." She says to me.

"Of course, not. How could you think that?" I say to her.

I squeeze her hand and blink away the tears threatening to fall.

"Mianhae..."

"I'll help you with it, Areum-ah."

"There's no help for it, Taemin oppa." She says with sadness in her voice.

Her eyes close and I feel the grip she has on my hand weakening.

"Areum-ah?" I feel my face getting wet now. The tears are falling and I don't think they'll stop anytime soon.

"Saranghaeyo, Taemin oppa."

I hear a siren. It must be the ambulance but they won't be needed. There's nothing they can do. There's nothing anyone can do.

As for me, all I can do his hold her lifeless body in my arms. I think I'm crying but I can't tell. I don't feel anything, hear anything, see anything. The only thing I hear, are the same words repeating themselves in my head. Over, and over, and over again.

Saranghaeyo, Taemin oppa.

The last words of the one person I'll ever love.

Several months later...

I'm sitting on my bed with the music box in my lap. I watch the dolphin move and listen Yiruma's River Flows in You.

It's gotten to the point where I don't cry anymore. I don't think Areum would have wanted that and I don't think she would want me to be sad. However, there's a sadness I feel in my heart that I don't think will ever go away. She may be gone but she isn't gone in my heart.

 
I was never able to play River Flows in You on the piano like she wanted. I made sure to play it at her funeral, though. I thought of her as I played it.


I have one thing left of hers. This music box. A memory. A memory of her favorite color, her love for dolphins, and the tune she would always hum. Whenever I hold this, I feel comfort. It's the closest thing I have to holding her.

 
Not a day has passed where I haven't held this music box or listened to the tune play.

 

I may have had to let her go but I won't let go of her memory. That's something I'll have forever.
 
"Saranghaeyo, Areum-ah."
 
 
 
 
***************************************************************************************************************************
 
Thanks for bearing with the length! :D
 
I'm so sorry! OTL
 
I hate sad endings but I always write them -.-
 
Oh, please, don't forget to check out my fansite: https://shineeverybody.wordpress.com/
 
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/taemint4life_se
 
And my Ask: http://ask.fm/taemint4life
 
Gomawo! <3