Final

Used to

[[[A/N: before confusing anyone, I just wanted to inform readers that the horizontal lines are past memories]]]]

 

 

 

 

    Taking his first step out of the airport Namjoon smiled, spreading his arms out as to give the air a hug. It was his first time back in Korea after nearly two years of living in America. He didn’t think much of leaving his home place back then, but ever since he was gone he noticed how much he loved Korea. He wasn’t gone that long, yet he saw how much things changed.

 

“It feels so good to be home,” he mumbled, still smiling. He was about to continue walking, but a hand caught onto his shoulder, holding him back. “What-”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?”

He looked down at the figure speaking that was his wife.

“Don’t be so hasty, Nammie.” she said as Namjoon cringed at his nickname. “You forgot your glasses on the plane and even left without getting our luggage.”

“Sorry, Yejin” he apologized, unhooking his arm from her grab and reaching down for his glasses. He put them on his face, forcing a fake smile to accompany it. “Here, I’ll take the luggage.”

Yejin smiled back, nodding.

“That’s fine,” she grinned. “I know you’re happy to be back, but don’t forget about your duties.”

Namjoon nodded, his hands reaching for the luggage which was mainly hers. He had only packed one small suitcase while she packed like two big suitcases.

“Now,” Yejin said as she started walking. “Shall we call a cab or are your parents going to come pick us up?”She crossed her arms before her, giving her husband a menacing look.

Namjoon, overpowered by the suitcases, just shook his head.

“Taxi,” he said and he could see her face scrunch up. “What?” he asked.

Yejin shook her head, “Can’t they come pick us up? I mean-”

“Yejin, my dad is sick…” Namjoon spoke up, interrupting his wife. “I don’t want to bother him right now. Besides, we’re perfectly capable of calling a taxi. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

And with that said, he continued walking until the edge of the sidewalk and called a cab, much to his wife’s dislike.


 

    Once they had arrived at his parent’s house, which they were going to stay at during their time in Korea, it was around lunch time. The couple quickly got their things out the taxi, paid the driver, and made their way to the door.

 

“Mom,” Namjoon called as he knocked. “Mom, I’m home!”

“Oh,” the door quickly opened, revealing Mrs. Kim. She had typical clothes on, her hair in a bun and an excited smile on her face. “Son!”

Namjoon was then pulled in for a huge bear hug from his birth giver.

“I missed you so much! How have you been?” Mrs. Kim asked, parting from the embrace. “Did you have a good flight? Oh, oh, just come in. Get settled and then we’ll talk, okay?”

“Mmm,” Namjoon mumbled, picking up the suitcases and heading inside. He didn’t know if it was intentional or not, but his mother didn’t even bother to greet his wife, that was, until the girl spoke up about it.

“Mother in law,” Yejin said, making herself noticeable. “I’m so glad that you’re still in good health! We’ve had a long flight, Namjoon and I. It’s good to see you, again, though.”

Mrs. Kim just nodded, her face unchanging. She then continued on talking to her son.

“You can put your things in your old room,” she said, going in after her son and ignoring Yejin who rolled her eyes and stepped inside the house.


 

    Settling his things in his old room Namjoon quickly made his way to the living room where his father, wife, and mother were at. His dad, being sick, was sitting on his favorite couch, attached to his respiratory machine.

 

“Father,” Namjoon forced a happy smile as he walked over to his dad. “Are you doing good?”

Mr. Kim’s eyes widened, excited.

“Son,” he mumbled out, reaching for his son’s hands.

Namjoon nodded, “I’m back, Father.”

“I’m…” Mr. Kim took a moment to breathe. “I’m glad you’re back. The company needs you. I… I know I don’t have much time and-”

“Jae,” Mrs. Kim scolded her husband. “Don’t say that!”

Namjoon agreed with his mother. He held onto his father’s hands and shook his head.

“Father, Mother is right. Don’t say that. You will be with us for much longer.”

Mr. Kim shook his head.

“I… have fought all I could fight,” he said. “I’ve managed to hold on because… of the company. It needs you…”

“Oh, Jae, stop worrying about the company! You have to put your health above that dumb company. How many times have I, and the doctors, told you?” Mrs. Kim asked, annoyed.

“Namjoon…” the male’s father called out his name. “Promise me you’ll be in charge of the company… Keep our family name living on…”

Namjoon, in order to keep his dad from speaking any further, agreed with him.

“Yes, Father, I promise.” he said.

Yejin’s eyes widened, “What? We’re not going back to America? But, Namjoon, you said we were only going to visit!”

“Yejin,” Namjoon said, his tone of voice strict and low. “We’ll talk about this later, understood?”

“Bu-”

Namjoon’s fierce look made the girl stop from arguing any further.

“Enough,” he said, giving Yejin, who just propped her hands on her thighs, a last look before turning to his father again.

“Is everything okay?” Mr. Kim asked, slowly.

Namjoon caressed his arm, “Everything’s good, Father, don’t worry. I will take care of the company and you just rest, hmm?”

“Thank you,” the elder male said. “Son.”

Mrs. Kim clapped her hands, interrupting the conversation. She didn’t want her husband to continue talking, as if he were going to die soon and he was saying his goodbyes.

“So, who’s ready for lunch?” she asked brightly. “Shall we go out to eat?”

Mr. Kim gleamed, “We haven’t gone out to eat in a long time.”

“Is that so?” Namjoon smiled. “Then, what are we waiting for? Let’s go!”



 

    Finishing off with their lunch at a not-so-fancy cafe the two couples decided to part ways, for Yejin wanted to go to a nearby shop to buy some clothes while Mr. and Mrs. Kim headed to the company for a small checkup before going to rest at home.

 

“Why are you in such a bad mood?” Yejin asked, ruffling through clothe racks. “Your dad is going to be okay. I mean, he’s with your mom.”

Namjoon sighed, “I know, but he should’ve gone straight home. I could’ve checked on the company for him.”

“Maybe he wants to settle things before sending you?”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” he agreed.

 

At times like that, was when he found Yejin more likeable. He liked when she wasn’t in a bad mood, nagging him, or acting like a spoiled little girl. Sadly, times like those rarely happened since they got married.

 

“Well, aren’t I always right?” she said, ruining the whole thing.

Namjoon rolled his eyes, “I’ll be in the male’s section. I know how long you take to buy clothes.”

“But Namjoon-”

“Call me if you need me,” he said, turning around before she could counter with anything.

Yejin did a small childish tantrum, but stopped when she saw people looking at her.

“What?” she said, making them turn around and whisper things.




 

    While Yejin was trying on clothes in the women's section Namjoon was on the other side of the shop in the male’s section. He was standing there, passing racks on racks of clothes for he wasn’t really interested. All that was on his mind was his father. He was so caught up in his worried thoughts that he didn’t see the stack of boxes in front of him, because he was soon on the ground with a loud thud.

 

“,” he cursed, still on the floor. He had fallen straight on his face since he forgot to put his hands to cover the fall. It all happened so fast.

“Oh, are you okay? Sorry, I should’ve put the boxes somewhere else”

Namjoon shook his head, getting in a sitting position.

“It’s fine. I’m fine.” he said. “But it’s not your fault. I was the one who wasn’t looking.”

“N-Namjoon?”

The said boy looked up, staring at the voice who just called his name and taking a complete surprise. It was her. It was his first love.

“Cindy…” he mouthed off, unable to say anything else. It had been so long that he even found it hard to say her name without wanting to hug and kiss her.

The girl simply grinned, squating down to his level so she could be eye to eye with him.

“Long time, no see,” she said. “Are you visiting your parents or what?”

Namjoon was tense. He didn’t know what to say. It was hard to not yearn for her, especially when she shined so bright. She looked more beautiful than ever.

“I’m…” he trailed off, “yeah.”

Cindy laughed, “Yeah, what?”

“Well I’m visiting my parents… because my dad’s really sick,” he said, looking away from Cindy’s sympathetic glare.

“Oh,” she gasped. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know… Ever since we broke up I-”

Namjoon looked at her when she stopped talking and sort of gave her a queer smile. He knew it was a touchy subject.

“I know,” he said.

Cindy cleared , standing back up.

“So… uhm… what brings you into this shop?” she asked, changing the subject. “You don’t really enjoy shopping, so it’s kind of weird to see you here.”

Namjoon smiled as he, too, stood up and dusted himself. He was glad she still remembered what he liked and disliked. It was like she still cared.

“You know me so well,” he said. He put his hands in his jacket pockets. “I’m here with Yejin.”

Cindy’s eyes rounded, “Yejin?”

“My wi-” Namjoon stopped himself before saying the word.

Wife?” Cindy asked, finishing of the male’s sentence. “She’s here?”

Namjoon nodded his head, looking at the girl before him.

“Well, I don’t want to keep you from her any longer,” she said, slowly backing away. “It was nice seeing you again… even if it was like this.”

The male tensed up again, but didn’t say a word.

“I’ll let you go, now,” Cindy said, putting one arm ahead of her and extending it towards Namjoon. “After all we’ve been through, we’re cool, right?”

“I…”

She looked at him with those doll-like eyes and he felt his knees give in a bit. He didn’t know why, but he was scared of touching her. It was all so heartbreaking because he didn’t want to seem like a jerk, but he also didn’t want to lie to her and say they’re cool when they really aren’t.

“I…” he trailed off once again, staring into her hypnotic eyes and losing his mind to the old memories. The memories of her. The memories of them. The memories when he was truly happy because he could hold and kiss her. The memories when she was his and only his; how things used to be

 


 

 

    It was the summer of Namjoon’s late teens. He was wearing a simple tank with shorts while his hair was short and dark. It was the day he’d agreed to meet up with Cindy at the movies to see some random American movie that she was going on and on about.

 

“I’ll be back!” he yelled, skipping down the stairs into the living room and heading towards the front door, but was stopped by his mother.

“Where are you going?” she asked, worried. “Do you think you can do whatever you want now?”

Namjoon bowed his head a little, “No, Mom, but remember I told you I was going to the movies with some friends?”

“What friends? What movies?”

“Mom,” Namjoon sighed. “Come on, I told you about my plans yesterday and you’re acting like this is all brand new.”

Mrs. Kim smiled, “I’m playing, son. I know, I know. I was joking.”

“You should really work on your joking voice, then, because that sounded so real.”

She grinned, pushing the boy forward.

“I’ll try,” she said. “Now hurry before I change my mind.”

Namjoon took the warning to heart and rushed out the door, but not before bidding his mom a quick farewell.

“Be back before midnight!” Mrs. Kim scolded.

Namjoon, who was already near his car yelled back a simple “I’ll try.” before pulling out the driveway and into the busy streets of Seoul.


 

    Once he’d made his way to the movie theaters, which were packed, Cindy was already there. She was standing near the building in a simple pink dress, her pitch black hair tied up in a slick ponytail.

 

“Hey,” Namjoon whispered once he was right beside her and saw the girl’s eyes widen like saucers. “Am I late?”

“Yeah,” she said. “You’re super late. The movie has already started.”

Namjoon smoothly wrapped his arms around the young girl’s petite waist, pulling her towards him.

“You’re not mad, are you?” he asked.

“...”

He took the silence as a yes, so then he caressed her face with one hand and placed a chaste kiss on her lips.

“Sorry,” he whispered. “Can you forgive me?”

The girl shook her head, but smiled soon after.

“How could I ever be mad at you?” she asked, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him in for a cute hug. “Now, since we missed the movie, can we go eat somewhere?”

“I’ll go anywhere as long as I’m with you,” Namjoon replied, making Cindy blush and laugh.

“You’re so cheesy! Oh my.”

Namjoon grinned, taking her hand in his as he started walking towards his car.

“Get used to it,” he said.

 


 

“Namjoon?” Cindy called his name, bringing the male back from his thoughts. Those thoughts that were of the same girl standing right before him, yet seemed like a total different person.

He blinked back twice, “Huh?”

“You okay?” she asked, cocking her head to the side.

“I’m good… just… I was thinking,” he finally took her hand in his. The touch sent an electric shock throughout his whole being. “We’re cool, though.”

Cindy smiled, kind of forcefully.

“What a relief,” she mouthed. “I thought things were going to be weird between us… because, you know.”

Namjoon raised a brow as the girl pulled back her hand, “But that stuff is in the past.”

“Mmh,” Cindy agreed, looking down at the ground then back up at the male. “Well then… I guess I’ll get going or else I might lose my job.”

“Job?”

Cindy nodded, “I work here.”

“Here? As in at this store?”

“Yeah, I mean why else would I be stacking boxes if I’m not an employee,” she said dumbfoundedly.

Namjoon pursed his lips, “Sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Clueless as always,” Cindy tsk-ed, shaking her head. “You really haven’t changed a bit… Kim Namjoon.”

She quickly stopped herself from letting any other nonsense spill from and instead looked away.

“Now, for real, I’ll go my way.”

Namjoon watched as she turned around and he knew he should’ve let her go, yet he couldn’t, so before she left he quickly held onto her arm.

“Cindy,” he called her name in a low, charming, and caring, voice. “Can we… still see each other?”

The said girl froze up, “H-Huh?”

“As friends…” he whispered, correcting himself. “I don’t want to lose you… now that I found you I-”

“Namjoon,” Cindy countered, pulling away from the male’s touch and slowly backing away. “You are a married man and I’m… I’m engaged and in love.”

Namjoon’s eyes widened like saucers, taken aback.

“You what? You’re engaged?” he asked, in disbelief. “With?”

Cindy nodded, but stayed quiet.

“Who is he?” Namjoon asked, yet again, but this time a little more demanding. “Do I know him?”

“It’s-”

“Nammie,” Yejin’s voice was heard, interrupting the old couple’s conversation. “I think I got- Who is she?”

Namjoon cringed at his wife’s voice.

“How many times have I told you not to call me that?” he asked, blind by anger.

Yejin simply brushed his comment off and, instead, headed towards Cindy.

“And who may you be?” she asked.

“I’m-”

“She’s a worker, Yejin.” Namjoon answered, cutting Cindy off. “I caused her trouble and was cleaning things up.”

Yejin pursed her lips, “Is that so?”

“Yeah, now let’s go.”

Cindy simply stood still as Namjoon dashed out of the store with his wife at his heels and get into a nearby taxi.

“I’m… his old love…” she whispered, looking away as a tear stained her poreless face.



 

    After annoying the poor, innocent, taxi driver Namjoon finally gave up and got out of the taxi. His head was all tangled up with thoughts of Cindy, how she looked, and who was receiving her smiles and love that he really didn’t have time to deal with Yejin’s incoherent nagging. He’d had enough of it all.

 

“Where are you going?!” Yejin yelled frantically. “Hey! Namjoon! Where are you-”

“Anywhere!” Namjoon yelled back. “Anywhere that leads me away from you!”

She was taken aback.

“Is it because of that girl? That so called Cindy girl, huh?”

Namjoon rolled his eyes, walking away from the taxi.

“It is!!! Isn’t it?” Yejin continued yelling as the taxi started to move along. “I’m your wife! We are married and that’s how it will stay! You can’t leave me!”

 

He watched as the vehicle drove and sighed in relief, crouching down on the ground. It was all too much in such little time that he didn’t know what to do. He knew he shouldn’t care about Cindy because she was no longer his, but he still did and he hated himself for it. He hated himself for letting her go. He hated himself for marrying someone he didn’t, and wouldn’t ever, love. He hated himself for being a coward.

 

“I’m such a -up,” he ruffled his hair in distress. “Where did I go wrong?” he asked, but knew the answer already.

 

He knew he messed up when he gave up the one thing he cared for most in the world: Cindy.

 

“If only things were how they used to be,” he whispered.



 

    A couple of senseless days went by. Everything was good; Mr. Kim was finally resting at home, Namjoon was the new CEO of the Kim Family Company, Mrs. Kim was at peace, and Yejin was adjusting to Korea. Every day, for Namjoon, went by so slow, especially because all he ever did was watch powerpoint presentations and hold meetings he really didn’t find interesting.

 

“What brings you back home so early?” Mrs. Kim asked, poking her head out of the kitchen. She was preparing a snack for when her husband woke up from his small nap. “Did something happen?”

Namjoon closed the front door behind him and headed towards the kitchen where his mother was.

“Where’s Father?” he asked, changing the topic.

Mrs. Kim continued preparing the snacks, “Asleep, why?”

“And Yejin?”

“Oh, you know that girl already,” Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes, walking to the sink to wash her hands. “She’s never home. All she does is go out and about with those new friends she made. And to think she wouldn’t adjust herself here, pft.”

Namjoon nodded as he took in the information.

“But why are you asking, son? Is something wrong?” she asked.

“No,” he shook his head. “Just wondering… well, I have to head back to the company. See you later tonight.”

Mrs. Kim watched as her son gave her a cold, simple embrace and head out of the house. She knew her son too well to know that something was up. It’s like he was living just to live.

“Oh dear,” she whispered, worried.



 

    Lying to his mother, saying that he would head back to the company, Namjoon instead made his way towards the shop where Cindy worked at. He parked near the shop, looking through the window as he searched for that familiar figure. It didn’t take long for him to finally see her. She was wearing a laced white dress with her hair in a messy bun, a smile adorned on her face as she spoke to random customers.

 

It was pleasantly comforting to watch her. She shined so bright, making her aesthetically pleasing. A couple minutes had passed and she finally got her break. She took off her work badge and exited the shop, checking her phone as she did. It was at that moment where Namjoon took the shot at talking to her.

 

“Hey,” he called in that soothing and calm voice he used to talk to her in. “Are you busy?”

The girl, frightened, looked up at his tall figure.

“Namjoon?”

“Can we… talk?” he asked, a little insecure.

She was quiet, “I…”

“Please? I won’t take up too much of your time. I just… last time we left off at a bad step.”

“But I only have 30 minutes…” she countered.

Namjoon shrugged, “That’s all I need.”

“Then… I guess it’s okay,” Cindy said before allowing herself to be directed to the male’s car.

 

    The ride to the restaurant was quiet, but comfortable in a way. It didn’t take long for Cindy to notice where they were headed to. The whole way there seemed so familiar, so reminiscent, that it was almost impossible to not notice. She looked over at Namjoon who was driving, not paying attention to her thoughts, that she immediately recalled to how things were in the old days.  

 


 

“What was that movie called?” Cindy asked, scratching her head as to help her think better. She was seated on the passenger’s seat while Namjoon was driving. It was sometime around six, for they missed watching a movie she really wanted to see, so instead they were heading out to eat.

“Which one?” he asked.

“The disney one.”

Namjoon looked over at her, “Wow, so descriptive. I know exactly which one it is!”

Cindy tsk-ed.

“Stop being sarcastic!”

“Well tell me what the movie is about because there are so many disney movies.”

She cocked her head, looking out the window searching her thoughts for the plot in the movie.

“It’s the one with the dogs who eat pasta and kiss,” she said.

Namjoon’s eyes brightened, “Oh! Lady and the Tramp!”

“Yes!” Cindy brightened up. “That one! Wow, my boyfriend is a disney movie fan!”

He laughed, “What about it?”

“Is it possible, you know, to kiss like that?” she asked, blushing a bit.

“I don’t know…” Namjoon pursed his lips. “You want to try it?”

Cindy flushed bright red, “What?”

“Let’s go eat spaghetti then, so we can try it, yeah?” he probed on. “Let’s test out the theory!”


 

    Seated inside the Italian restaurant with a plate of spaghetti in front of them the couple was completely thrilled. However, it seemed like Namjoon was more.

 

“Are you ready to try?” he asked.

Cindy looked unsure.

“Come on! It’ll be fun,” he tried to convince her, caressing her cheek. “Mm?”

“Fine,” she gave in.

Namjoon grinned picking up a spiraled noodle, putting one end in his mouth and the other in Cindy’s.

“Well isn’t this very romantic,” the girl mouthed, the noodle still in .

Namjoon smiled, “Very.”

And without further ado, the two slurrped their noodle, leaning their heads in until their lips touched.

“Namjoon this is… very awkward…” Cindy laughed once they were eye to eye.

The said male just shrugged, going in for the kiss. It was a messy kiss, but still proper and simple. They didn’t want to go all out in public because it wasn’t right, not to mention very appealing to others.

“I love you,” he said, pulling away from the girl and caressing her hair. “I don’t want to lose you… ever.”

Cindy smiled, her eyes twinkling as she looked at Namjoon.

“I love you too, Kim Namjoon.”

The two then leaned in for, yet, another kiss and then continued to eat and joke around.

 


 

Gulping, Cindy looked back out the window. She was beginning to recall memories that shouldn’t be brought up anymore. It was starting to be a problem.

 

“We’re here,” Namjoon said, waking the girl from her thoughts. “Seems familiar?”

Cindy looked up before her, eyeing the building.

“I haven’t been here in so long…”

“Me either,” Namjoon said, turning off the car and getting out. He waited for the girl to do the same and then entered the familiar, Italian-themed, restaurant.


 

    When they were inside the two were directed to an open table. Everything on the inside was the exact same as it was before. Nothing at all had changed; nothing but them. They were the only ones who seemed to have changed.

 

“So…” Cindy tapped her drink, breaking the ice. “What was it that you wanted to talk about?”

Namjoon cleared his throat.

“I wanted to apologize…” he mumbled.

The girl looked up at him.

“For everything, actually,” he started again. “I wanted to apologize for ending our relationship without a proper excuse, for making you suffer, for making you see me on my wedding day, and mostly… for losing you.”

Namjoon looked down at the food before him, poking at it with his fork.

“I should’ve fought for you, but I was a coward.” he sighed. “I’m sorry for making us just a memory.”

Cindy had her hands in her lap, once again, playing around from the stress.

“I’m sorry that we can only reminiscent on how things used to be; how we used to be. And that we can’t talk about our love in the present day… and-”

“I get it, Namjoon. I get what you’re saying…” Cindy spoke up, finally. “Now please, don’t speak about it anymore. I forgive you, because, you know, since we ended I finally found the person I am meant to be with.”

The boy looked at her, his face full of sadness.

“There are many types of love in this world. Loves, that no matter the obstacles, are meant to overpower them and stay together. Loves that will just be. And loves that are like ours…” Cindy smiled sadly. “We were meant to fall for each other, but not meant to be together… And, sadly, one will have to sacrifice for the sake of the other one to survive.”

Namjoon was shaken by her words. They spoke the truth and maybe that’s why he was so surprised and down at the same time. He couldn’t be upset with her.

“So all in all,” she whispered. “I hope we can be good friends and support one another with our new lives.”

“I’m sorry,” he apologized yet again.

Cindy raised her brows, “Why? I already forgave you.”

“Because,” Namjoon shook his head. “I finally feel what you felt when you had to suddenly call me in a formal way… How you had to suddenly, even with knowing me so well, act like you knew nothing of me… I saw you crying and calling my name, drowning in your pain, but payed no attention to it. I'm... sorry.”

The girl gulped.

“It’ll be hard,” he continued. “But, with time, it’ll get easier.”

The two looked at one another, kept quiet, and continued to eat. It wasn’t much of an awkward little meeting, but it was far from comfortable.



 

    On the ride back to the shop Cindy asked Namjoon if they could make a small stop at an ice cream shop, to which he agreed to. He was craving something sweet anyway, besides he wanted to spend a little more time with her.

 

“I’ll have-”

“A double fudge and strawberry drizzled vanilla bean, please,” Namjoon told the worker behind the ice cream containers, cutting Cindy off.

The girl just smiled.

“Not so clueless anymore, huh?” Namjoon smirked.

“Eh,” Cindy raised her hand, making a so-so sign. “Don’t feel so good about yourself.”

He laughed.

 

As they waited for their ice creams the two played a game of who could remember what the other liked. It was all so child-like, but neither one cared.

 

“Oh, they’re ready,” Cindy said, getting up and walking towards the worker who had their orders ready.

Namjoon, on the other hand, just stood up and waited for her to come back. He eyed his chocolate ice cream, taking it from her hand before she even reached him.

 

“Hungry much?” she chuckled. “Your sweet tooth hasn’t changed a bit… and neither have your manners.”

“What are you talking about?” Namjoon asked. He was already his ice cream which made the girl laugh.

“Oh, nothing.”

Namjoon shrugged the comment away and exited the shop as she followed him. They both took a seat near some steps and just sat there their sugar-inducing snack.

 


 

“Let me try it!” A whining Cindy yelled. “Namjoon!”

The said boy and her were sitting near the beach in Busan. She was wearing a dark blue swimsuit as he wore some white trunk shorts. They were eating some popsicle sticks and she was mad because Namjoon wouldn’t give her a try of his.

“I let you try mine,” she pouted.

The male laughed, “And I’m so thankful.”

“Ugh,” she groaned.

Namjoon just laughed. He absolutely loved teasing her. It was so rewarding to watch her pout and whine.

“You’re so mean,” she stood up and waited for him to follow after her.

Then, very quickly, she took his arm and tried to get a bite of his treat. However, he was much stronger than her and he averted the direction of his popsicle and instead kissed her lips.

“Na-umff,” she was about to call his name, but was silenced by his sweet, sugar-covered lips which made her forget everything she was whining about.

He parted from the kiss, smiling from ear to ear.

“Did you finally taste it?”

her lips she made a thoughtful face, “Not really… so, how about another try so I can fully get a taste of it.”

“I’d be glad to.”

He swiftly pulled her in close, leaning in for yet another kiss. However, to get revenge, Cindy yanked away from his touch and ran towards the sea.

“C-Cindy!”

The girl laughed at her name being called. She turned around, running backwards and motioned for him to go after her.

“Only if you can catch me!” she yelled.

Namjoon let out a whole-hearted chuckle as he started sprinting after her.

 


 

“How much time did you say you had for break?” Namjoon asked.

Cindy finished biting off the last piece of the cone, “30.”

“It’s been like 45 minutes…” Namjoon mumbled.

“45?” the girl shot up. “I’m so fired. Oh my God, let’s go, let’s go!”

She took his hand in hers and ran towards the car, pushing him to the driver’s seat as she ran towards the passenger’s side.

“Hurry!”

Namjoon fumbled for his keys, “Okay, okay!”



 

    Once they reached the shop it had been almost an hour of break that she took. Luckily, they didn’t fire her. The boss was out on an appointment while the manager, who was very chill, was in charge. All Cindy got was a scolding of “don’t do it again” which she wasn’t going to further complain about. She was content with her so-called  punishment.

 

“I’m so relieved,” Namjoon said. He was standing in the shop, leaning near the check register. “I thought you’d be fired and I’d be at fault.”

Cindy smiled, “Then you’d have to find me a new job.”

“That would be easy,” he tsk-ed. “I could’ve gave you a spot at my company. No biggie.”

“Uh, actually it would.”

Namjoon raised a brow, “Why?”

“Cause I wouldn’t want to see you every day,” she joked. “I couldn’t have you as my boss. Gross.”

“Rude!” he laughed.

Cindy shrugged and laughed as well. Then, she excused herself and went on ahead to do her job.

“I’ll see you some other time, then,” Namjoon said, waving at her as he exited the shop when he accidentally bumped into someone. “Sorry, sorry.”

“It’s fine, no need to apologize,” the male replied back. He smiled lightly and very polite before bowing a little and entering the shop.

Namjoon smiled back at him, following him with his eyes and watched as he stopped right behind Cindy. He saw the male tap her on the shoulder, making the girl turn around and smile oh-so excited.

“Is that…” he slurred to himself. “Her fiance?”

 

And, as if on cue, he saw the girl wrap her arms around the male and place a kiss on his lips. She looked so happy. He could see that familiar twinkle in her eyes--the same twinkle he used to be the only to bring it out--and turned away.

He swallowed the hard lump in his throat, getting inside his car.

 

“Your eyes used to twinkle when you saw me,” he whispered, looking back up into the shop and smiled. “But, it’s good to see you now with someone else…”




 

    Days passed by and, surprisingly, Namjoon and Yejin were getting along even better. She’d go out with some girl friends she met almost daily and, somehow, they seemed to change her perspective on life. They were natural wives who cooked for their husbands, stayed at home, and had beautiful kids. So, their happy life sort of had an impact on Yejin so much that she wanted to have that same life.

 

“Namjoon,” she spoke to her husband at night. They were both settled in bed, the only thing separating them was the blankets between them. “Do you, I don’t know, ever think about having a kid?”

The sudden question made Namjoon confused. He shifted in bed, turning to look at the girl who wasn’t fully visible in the night.

“I mean-”

“I would be lying if I said no,” he replied, cutting the girl off before she stuttered. “Honestly, I’ve always wanted to be a dad and I’d really like for my dad to experience the chance of being a grandparent before passing…”

Yejin sort of blushed, turning to shift in his direction as well. She slowly reached out for his face, caressing it ever so softly.

“Then…” she whispered, her breath hitching. “Shall we make that wish come true?”

 

Those sudden words made Namjoon’s heartbeat shoot up. Not because he wanted to make love with his wife, but because those were the same exact words he had said to Cindy on the night they first decided to lose their ity.

 


 

“I… I don’t know, Namjoon…” A timid, nineteen year old Cindy whispered at the male’s sudden question.

The two were in his house while his parent’s were on a long business trip in Japan. It was only them at the residence and they had been together for quite some time--like two or so years--which led him to think it was time to take it to the next step.

“If you don’t want to it’s fine, really,” he said, leaning back away from her.

She sighed, “Are you sure you’d understand?”

“Of course,” Namjoon smiled at her, slightly teasing her with his eyes. “I know it’s not right to pressure someone.”

“Thank you…” she whispered, turning back to watch the television that was playing some random movie that she wasn’t really paying much attention to.

Namjoon pouted a bit, but respected her choice nonetheless. He scooted closer towards her as she rested her head on his shoulder, placing his hand on her thigh unconsciously which made the girl’s feelings accelerate.

“Uh,” she trailed off, but decided to ignore it. But as time passed by she couldn’t seem to get the feeling of kissing him and feeling him out of her mind. She wanted to stop her dirty thoughts, but it was too late because she soon felt them overtake her whole being.

“C-Cindy?!” Namjoon called the girl’s name surprised by what she had just done. He couldn’t believe it. “D-Didn’t you say that you’d rather not do it?”

Smirking the girl, who had swirled until landing on the male’s lap, wrapped her arms around his neck.

“I said I didn’t know,” she slurred. “But… now I’m sure I want to.”

The male, like any typical male, got hard at the facial expression she did. She looked so sultry and y he couldn’t contain his emotions.

“A-Are you sure?” he stuttered.

Cindy nodded, “I’m sure.”

And with that, the male turned the tables and plopped her on the couch. He was on top now, more thrilled than ever.

“I’ll be polite,” he said before leaning in to kiss her, peeling her clothes off little by little.

 

That night the magic happened to which, nothing was born luckily.The pleasure sent them to heaven and back.

 


 

 

Blinded by the memories Namjoon, as a male, climbed on Yejin, viewing her as Cindy, and made love to her. It wasn’t as pleasurable as his first time with the other girl, but he thought that it wasn’t so bad.


 

    Ever since the day they finally did it, Yejin was different. She was more affectionate and compassionate with Namjoon which he found somewhat nice. He didn’t hate it, but he didn’t love it either.

 

“It’s what?” Mrs. Kim asked the couple who was dressed all fancy, standing near the door.

“Date night!” Yejin replied, smiling.

Namjoon just shrugged.

“Date… night?” the elder lady asked again, as if trying to confirm it. “Since when do you two go out on date nights?”

Yejin grinned, “Oh you know, just thought we needed some couple time.”

“That’s good, that’s good,” Mr. Kim who was seated at his usual couch said, raising his hand. “Let them go, let them go. They deserve it.”

Mrs. Kim sighed, “Fine.”

“We’ll be back!” Yejin chimed as she dragged her husband out the door.

 

    The drive lasted a couple of minutes and they had soon arrived at their destination. It was  at some fancy- smancy restaurant with expensive plates.

 

“Did you book us a place or?”

Yejin nodded as the two walked in the crystal-like building.

“I made a reception,” she said, looking at the worker behind the register.
“Name?” he asked.

Yejin hooked arms with her husband, “Kim. Kim Namjoon and Kim Yejin.”

“Ah, yes,” the worker brightened up. “Right this way please.”

 

He lead the couple to a dim-lit table near the middle of the restaurant, handing them the menu.

“I’ll leave this here and be back in a bit,” he said. “Feel free to call me over if you need anything.”

“Fancy, huh?” Yejin smiled as she picked up the menu pamphlet. “My friends told me about this place.”

Namjoon nodded, “I see.”

“Why? Do you not like it?” she asked, pouting a bit.

“Ah, no,” he replied. “Just… I prefer simple meals. These type of places give you a little blob of food and price it for so much. I prefer buffets.”

Yejin pursed her lips.

“Buffets?”

“Or Italian restaurants,” Namjoon added. “Like the one me and Cin-” he quickly stopped mid-sentence, looking up at the girl.

“You and… Cindy?” Yejin asked, putting her menu down. “Is that what you were going to say?”

Namjoon nodded.

“Oh,” she said, trying to stay calm. “I guess… well, you should’ve told me then.”


 

    The rest of the night was silent; a disturbing kind of silent. Namjoon wanted to call off the dinner, but didn’t have the heart to. They were already there so no need to be that childish. Although, he did wish he had done so because he saw something he really would’ve liked to avoid.

 

“Congratulations, Oh my God!” a voice cheered loudly.

Namjoon, and Yejin, turned to look at what the big commotion was all about. They saw a large table near the corner of the restaurant that was full of people who seemed to be celebrating something.

“What’s that?” Yejin asked out loud.

A waiter who happened to be passing by looked over at her and stopped before her.

“There’s a soon-to-be married couple here,” he said. “They, along with some friends, are celebrating here.”

Namjoon’s ears perked up, “Soon-to-be married?”

“Mm,” the waiter nodded. “They’re getting married this weekend.”

“Oh, it’s Cindy!” Yejin yelled, pointing at the table. “Namjoon… it’s Cindy.”

His eyes shot over, glaring at the table to confirm the news. He searched every face until he finally saw that angelic face of hers.

“I’ll be back,” he said, standing up.

Yejin reached out to stop him, but to no avail, for he was already heading towards the group of people at the large table. She knew he was hurting and she wanted to help him, to protect him, but how?

“Namjoon!” she called his name, standing up and running after him. Unfortunately, she was too late because he was already at the table when she reached him, locking her hand onto his arm. “Namjoon, what are you doing…”

The name of the boy made Cindy look back. She stood up and walked towards him.

“Namjoon…”

The male smiled at her, a little forcefully but a smile nonetheless.

“So you’re having a celebratory party for your wedding and didn’t invite me?” he asked, looking over at everyone who was seated at the table, for they were looking back at him as well.

Cindy looked over at his wife, then back at Namjoon.

“I didn’t think you’d want to…” she whispered ever so softly.

Namjoon laughed, “Why wouldn’t I want to come? Do you think I’m that bad of a friend? I thought you knew me…”

“I’m sorry,” she replied, apologizing.

“You’re forgiven,” the male said. “Only if you let us join.”

“Uhm…” Cindy zoned off, looking back at her soon-to-be husband. “Jin?”

The said boy walked over, standing beside his girlfriend.

“What?” he asked.

“Two more people are joining us,” she said, carefully, almost as if she was asking him.

Namjoon smiled, extending his hand out in front of him.

“Kim Namjoon,” he said.

The other male gave him a look, taking his hand nonetheless.

“Kim Seokjin,” he introduced himself. “It’s good to finally meet you.” He shook Namjoon’s hand, pulling him in for a brotherly hug. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“I-It’s good to meet you too,” Namjoon replied. He backed away from the huh and put his hand behind his head. “About me? Really?”

The other male nodded.

“And I wanted to thank you as well,” he said, surprising Namjoon.

“Thank me?”

Seokjin smiled, “Because you gave me the chance to meet the love of my life…”

“Ah,” Namjoon nodded. “Right.”


 

    After that small introduction--including when Yejin and Cindy finally met with no hard feelings--everyone sat down at the large table. They were all talking about random things, some about the Kardashian sisters, some about Sistar, and others about their own funny stories. Everything was so calm, so comfortable.

 

“I’m not even joking,” Jimin, one of Seokjin’s friend, said. He was telling everyone about the time he encountered a missing dog that got him laid as a reward for returning it. “She was American and so beautiful.”

Seokjin scrunched his face, “Keep it in your pants, Jimin. This is a public place.” He laughed, making Cindy laugh along with him. “We don’t want to hear about your many ual encounters.”

Cindy chuckled, along with everyone else, and reached over for her boyfriend’s hand. She intertwined them together, turning to him with that sparkle in her eyes while Namjoon watched everything so carefully.

You used to do that to me…’ Namjoon thought to himself, and, as if he directly told her, Cindy looked over at him. He froze, but didn’t dare look away and neither did she.

She picked up her drink, as did he, and sipped from it while still gazing at one another.

It was like their minds were connected. They were staring at one another, but their minds were off in the land of memories. Every single moment they lived flashed through their minds. The times where they would lay in bed in each other’s arms, the times they held hands while walking on the beach, the times they teased one another, the times they kissed, the times they had each other; the times they used to love, but were now just memories.

“We’re cool,” Namjoon mouthed off, making sure she read his lips. He didn't want their memories to bring her sorrow. Maybe turning the page will give them a better ending.

Cindy smiled, looking down at her drink.

 

Who would've thought they’d be hanging out with his wife and her soon-to-be husband? Definitely not them. That thought would have never crossed the minds of the people they used to be. They didn’t have a clue things would change so much. They didn’t know they’d get drunk on their tears over things that used to be so simple, so easily available, and were now impossible--so painful.

 

You used to be mine,’ Namjoon’s mind spoke to himself, smiling over at the girl who was, too, smiling at him. ‘We used to be a thing… but, now, we aren’t. And I guess I just have to get used to that…

 

He sipped from his drink once again, somehow happy that Cindy was happy as well. She had sacrificed to let him survive and now it was his turn, for cupid was demanding back his arrow.

 

“Thank you,” Cindy mouthed off as well, smiling. She gave Namjoon one last smile before turning to her fiance, starting off a conversation with him as she held his hand.

 

And that’s just how things ended up for the old couple. Things are never like they used to be, instead, they change and the two have to get used to it.

 
 
 
Thank you for reading!
Don't forget to comment and upvote! :-')