In a pleasant morning like this....

Of Pastries and Insecurities.

"I love you,"   

 

"Huh?" She asked, unable to hear him for the first time.  

 

"Nothing," He answered with a chuckle, shaking his head. They have just finished jogging and decided to take a walk around their new, quiet neighbourhood to know the area. He was talking a lot about the cafe, bakery and restaurant around the place and even though she didn't really care about those, her husband do. His hobby was eating and trying new food, so unconsciously, she had to tag along, accompanying him as he rambled on and on about his food.    

 

As they were walking down the street, he reached out and intertwined his fingers with her smaller ones. She sent him a nasty glare, wriggling her fingers to get away but he squeezed it tighter. He looked down at her and flashed her a small smile. She looked around. All eyes were on them. They weren't supposed to be seen. Although they were legal, rightfully together; they were a secret kept well from the world's cruel eyes.

 

They walk past a small cafe where few girls sipping their morning coffees were sitting in cliques on the outdoor seat, whispering to each other. Was it about her? Do they think that a person like her wasn't supposed to walk down the streets holding hands with a person like him?    

 

He squeezed her hands slightly and he glanced up to look at him, his face unaffected. The thin layer of sweat on his face glistened under the warm morning sunshine. He stopped and looked at her, the same warm smile he had from before plastered on his face. She felt her breath stopping, admiring how beautifully crafted he was. God was being good to her for sending her such man in her life.    

 

"I'm feeling quite hungry. Shall we rest a bit at that bakery over there?" He suggested, pointing at an old looking bakery not far from where we were standing. "I have never gone there before, but I heard they serve amazing pastries. My friend said the coffee there is good too," He continued, wiping his face with a small towel she handed him. She nodded and they proceeded to sit on the antique-looking chair outside of the bakery. An elderly woman, which they assumed was the owner took their order and patted him on the shoulder, telling him that she watches him a lot in the tv, telling him to do well and wishing him the best wishes for his life.    

 

She looked down on her lap, smiling happily. She was happy. Being with him was the best thing ever, but it was hard. People knew him. They loved him. When he asked why wouldn't she allow him to tell everyone about the happiest day in his life, the day she become his', she answered with a few simple words,    

 

"Because I am not pretty."     

 

She was afraid that she would be the one destroying his career, his life. She was afraid that people would call him stupid for choosing him when he had a bunch of beautiful, hot, famous girls to choose from in the industry. She wondered why, why out of all people, she chose to love her.    

 

She remembers him denying her statement, kissing her lips to shut her off. He'd kiss every inch of her body, her scars, reminding her how beautiful she was to him with every single breath he exhaled. He would never be afraid to show her off to the world, but their problem was her. She was afraid.    

 

"Honey?" He called gently. "Why are you spacing out again?" He asked with worry. He reached out for her hand and she pulled it away from the table, staring on the dried patch of grass under the table as she fiddled with her fingers. He looked at her, still worried, she could almost see the pain behind his eyes,   and she was sorry that she was too selfish and insecure that she caused such worry in him.    

 

"I'm fine... it's just that...," She started, looking at the girls in the cafe from a distance. "I was worried when you held my hand earlier. People saw that and-"     

 

She was cut off by a carefree chuckle.     

 

"Hey-," He started, taking her hand in his, the warmth emitting from his skin felt comforting to her. "I told you before, I don't care. We've talked about this before, I don't want you to think like that again." He said in an authorised tone, frustrated that she still felt inferior of herself although, in his eyes, she was the most beautiful creature ever.    

 

"Excuse me," They heard a feminine voice near them when they were eating their ordered food. "I don't know if this is true, or my eyes are playing tricks on me but I think I see you a lot in tv," She continued, seemingly afraid that she got the wrong person. He smiled politely and she tried pulling her hand away from his' when the girl threw her a weird look.    

 

"Am I wrong or are you... You're?" She asked him, gleefully and she saw the look in his eyes, the glint she always sees whenever he told him he loves her. He looked at he girl and smiled, parting his lips to say one single word that made her heart beat faster that its normal pace.     

 

"Hers." He answered, then staring at her with his loving eyes, his kind smile never leaving his features.