The Origin of Suga

The Origin of Suga

“Oh my Goddd, I feel like dying!” Namjoon exclaimed while trying to catch his breath. He was lying down on the floor while staring blankly at the ceiling. His friends didn’t even bother to respond, they barely had any energy left to breathe but they still had to continue practicing. Hoseok, who was actually already used to intense dancing, nodded his head. He wanted to respond to Namjoon, yet his mouth didn’t cooperate because of his unspeakable exhaustion. Yoongi, who normally has fair complexion, looked even paler than usual. He let his mouth wide opened while breathing excessively. Meanwhile, Jungkook, the maknae, didn’t look that exhausted compared to his hyungs. After a few minutes lying on the floor trying to get their senses back, they decided to take a short break.

“Jungkook-ah, you know that cafe on the corner of the street that had just opened yesterday? Go buy some coffee for us.” Namjoon asked the maknae. However, Jungkook had a different idea.

“Hyung . . . I always run your errands everyday because I’m the maknae. What if we change the rule?” Jungkook asked in a challenging tone. Yoongi instantly pushed his head lightly.

“Ya! What rule do you need for this, you are the maknae after all.” Yoongi said.

“Well, I mean . . . It’s just to make it more fun. What about we do rock scissors paper and the loser will go buy the coffee. How does it sound?” Jungkook initiated.

“Geurae, since all of us are tired . . . Let’s do it.” Namjoon agreed.

“Rock, scissors, paper!” They exclaimed almost at the same time. Yoongi lost. Well, it was not a surprise since he was never really good at it anyway. Jungkook couldn’t help himself but smiling at his victory. Seeing Jungkook’s smile, Yoongi frowned.

“Are you really going to make your hyung do this, maknae-ah?” Yoongi confirmed, trying to mentally convince Jungkook to go instead of him. He felt like he could somehow make use of his position as the hyung.

“No, hyung, don't maknae me now . . .” Jungkook said with confidence.

"Yeah, hyung . . . You kinda lost, so . . ." Hoseok added, very carefully.

“Arasseo, arasseo! Aish . . .” Yoongi got up as he tried to feel his feet again.

“I want Iced Americano!” Namjoon said.

“Me, Caramel Macchiato!” Hoseok continued.

“Nado!” Jungkook copied Hoseok’s order.

“Ya! Caramel Macchiatoneun, museun . . . You’re too young for coffee, I’m getting you Hazelnut Chocolate.”

__________

 

A light tingling sound came from the door. Jung Aeri got all excited everytime someone entered her cafe. Aeri had just started the business the day before, so it wasn’t really crowded yet. It was way passed the lunch time and just like the day before, the cafe was empty.

Yoongi entered Home cafe and approached the counter to order as his eyes observed the interior of the cafe. It was very simple but homey, so the name was pretty much self-explanatory.

“Uh . . . can I have two Iced Americano, one Caramel Macchiato and one Hazelnut Chocolate?” Yoongi asked politely. Aeri noted his order and asked him to wait for a moment.

Yoongi took a table near the counter table for extras. His eyes explored the wide variety of additions provided. There were some different flavors of syrup, straws, toothpicks, and sachet sugars. Looking at the full jar of different kinds of sugars, he was reminded that the dorm was running out of sugar.

Carefully looking back to Aeri who was still busy preparing the drink, he sneakily approached the extras counter and grabbed a handful of the sachet white sugar and tried to fit them into the pockets of his skinny jeans. Little did he know, Aeri was silently observing him. After she finished preparing the order, she personally brought them on a tray and put them on Yoongi’s table.

“You must really, REALLY, like sweets, don’t you, Sir?” Aeri asked with a polite smile, putting an obvious emphasis on her words.

“Ah, yes . . . Haha . . .” Yoongi got startled by the sudden question. Knowing that he has been caught red-handed, he nervously took out most of the sachet sugar from his pocket, opening them one by one, and pouring them into one of the Iced Americanos. He took one of the stirers and stirred his coffee rather vigorously.

Aeri was quite taken aback seeing what the person in front of her was doing. She only intended to , trying to let him know that he has been caught up just so he wouldn’t do it again next time. However, she was shocked that the person was actually pouring that much amount of sugar into his own coffee. She even witnessed him taking his first sip and blinking dramatically for a few times before swallowing. Of course he would, anyone would do the same thing if they drink such a sweet Americano.

“What’s the point of ordering an Iced Americano if you would put that much sugar in it anyway?” Aeri asked rather straightforwardly.

“I know, right . . . Haha . . .” Yoongi answered awkwardly while letting out a dry laughter. He was trying really hard to control his facial expression. He wasn’t so sure if he succeeded, though. The sweetness was beyond words.

Aeri took the excessively-sweetened Iced Americano from Yoongi’s hand, making him startled.

“Please wait for a moment.” Aeri said, leaving him puzzled.

Just a few minutes after that, Aeri came back with a fresh cup of Iced Americano. It turned out that she left to make the new one. She handed it over to Yoongi who was pretty flustered. He only looked at her without saying anything, jaw slightly dropped open.

“Next time, it’s not that hard to ask something if you want it so badly, right? You can always have free-flowing extras here, but you need to at least let me know if you were going to take that much, haha . . . Anyway, please come again next time with your friends!” Aeri said in a friendly manner while displaying her most sincere smile. She really hoped that the fresh refill would do the magic to bring more customers.

__________

 

Yoongi drank his Iced Americano while his mind was doing a flashback of what had just happened. The girl from the Home cafe actually looked kind of familiar to him, but he didn’t really care to try to remember. He ended up smiling foolishly at himself out of embarrassment while recalling the stupidest thing that he had ever done in his life.

“Hyung, gwaenchanha?” Jungkook tapped his shoulder. “Why are you smiling like an idiot?” he continued.

“Ya! Do you want to die? You made me run errands and now you call me an idiot?” Yoongi scolded him.

“By the way, the coffee is pretty good. I think we can become regular there, haha!” Namjoon said.

“No! I’m not going back there again. Ever.” Yoongi responded almost immediately, making the other boys knitted their brows.

“Wae, hyung?” Hoseok asked.

“Aniya . . . geunyang. I don’t like it there. And I’m not running your errands ever again.” Said Yoongi, trying to convince himself at the same time.

__________

 

Yoongi must have not tried hard enough to convince himself, because he found himself strolling back to the cafe a few days later. This time, he was forced by the boys to go there with them. They were on their way back to the company and Namjoon somehow thought that having coffee at 9 p.m was a good idea.

A light tingling sound came from the door. It was near the closing time so Aeri automatically raised her head, surprised that there were still customers coming.

“Oh? Sugar-ssi . . .” She spontaneously uttered the word ‘sugar’ as she recognized one of the customers that had just come.

The other boys exchanged glances and got confused. Yoongi smiled awkwardly and and bowed slightly to Aeri, then directed his friends to sit on the table which was the furthest away from the extras counter table.

“Hyung, do you know her? Why did she call you Sugar-ssi?” Hoseok asked out of curiousity as soon as they sat down.

“Uh . . . Well, that just happened.” Yoongi answered half-heartedly, hesitated if he should really tell the embarrassing story that only he and the cafe girl knew.

“Ah, I have an idea!” Jungkook suddenly exclaimed, making Yoongi feel uneasy.

“What about we do rock paper scissors and the loser should go order plus ask for that noona’s number?” Jungkook explained enthusiastically.

“What? Nope, not again.” Yoongi rejected immediately. He was strongly against the idea, or so he thought.

“Oh? It sounds fun, though?” Namjoon thought differently, provoking Yoongi to let out a killer glare at him.

“Yeah, it sounds fun to me too!” Hoseok agreed, displaying his disturbingly shiny smile.

Yoongi ended up following the majority’s voice and, unfortunately yet expectedly, lost again.

That was the beginning of the on-and-off short awkward conversations on Kakao Talk between Yoongi and Aeri.

__________

 

Epilogue

 

“So, what do you think about these stage names, Yoongi-ah?” Bang Sihyuk, who is the founder of Big Hit Entertainment, visited his trainees that day to discuss about their stage names. He had finished with the other boys and intended to discuss about Yoongi’s stage name.

“Uhm . . .” Yoongi hesitated for a while; lips forming a straight line and eyes narrowing as he scanned the list of strange names written on the paper. 

"You do know that you have, uhm . . ." the older male paused to arrange his words, his eyes wandering around the ceiling. "a somewhat sweet aura in you, you know? Well, despite your straightforwardness, I guess . . . Haha . . . I mean, you are so pale and when you flash your smile, well, the fangirls would melt right away."

Yoongi unconsciously raised one of his eyebrow and slightly tilted his head, trying to digest the point of his boss' opinion.

"Okay, this is awkward since I'm the one who says it, but, you get the idea," the older male continued.

Suddenly, Yoongi's phone vibrated. There was a chat coming from his Kakao Talk. He quietly took a short glance at the screen and saw the message.

“Muohae, Sugar-ssi . . .?” It was the message from Aeri, the girl he had just known for a few weeks, or so he thought. Yoongi smiled for a moment and suddenly got an idea for his stage name that ended up changing his life.

“Bang PD-nim, what about ‘Suga'?”