Chapter 002

The Rising

3 years later. January 28 2017.

The buck was standing 10 feet away from me in the deep snow going up to my ankles, his breaths we're visible in the cold air. I aimed my bow at him and released it. The arrow hit him in the shoulder and he ran like a bullet in the other direction.

", I missed." I cursed under my breath. I whistled to Kona to chase after it and Kona obeyed the order and took off after the buck. I soon joined Kona in the race to get the buck before he ran off to far and before the walkers could get it.

I came up to a clearing where the buck was on the ground with Kona to his left. I ran to where Kona was and he barked at me in pride while pawing at the snow. "Good boy! I'll be sure to give you your share when the meat's cooked." I told him witch made him bark once more.

I grabbed to buck by the antlers and pulled it back to my sled and strapped it on and went back to my home-for-now.

 

We soon arrived at an abandoned cabin I have been staying at for the past three weeks. I pulled the sled up to a tall tree. I am planning on keeping the rest of the meat in the tree so wolves and walkers cant get to it. The buck was twice the size of me so it was hard putting him up into the tree. It was about 20 minutes later once I had the animal secure on the branches.

The cabin was small but had two other room aside the main room that greets you as you walk in. The fire place was small but it worked the same as any other fire place. The bedroom was also small but it was very cozy once a fire was lit. The bathroom you could imagine was the smallest room and it is useless because there is no working sinks or showers.

Approached the cabin door to open it. I pulled my knife out from my belt, just in case I had any unwanted visitors. I flung the door open ready to attack anything that came my way but fortunately there was nothing. I stepped into the dark room and Kona waltzed past my feet into the small blanket set on he floor for him.

My cloths were covered in snow that blew onto me from the wind. There was lumps of snow all over my black parka and pants. I went over to the fire place and lit a fire with the little matches I had left. Taking my soaked boots off I set them beside the fire to dry them out along with my other wet cloths.

The meat from the dear I found today was sizzling over the fire and I could see Kona's eyes on it as his pupils dilated. We haven't had a proper meal in ages and this was a rare find now-a-days since this whole virus spread. No one knows how it happened or why but there had to be someone who knew. I sometimes wonder what was happening on the other side if the world, Do they have the virus to?

The meat was finished cooking by the time I finished thinking about my life. It was so tender it made my mouth water at the sight. I put it on a plate that was on the counter and cut it into a few smaller pieces for me and Kona to share. I turned around to see Kona patently waiting behind me for his share of the meat. I took a piece with pink on the inside and cooked to perfection on the outside and tossed it up in the air and Kona jumped up to catch it in him mouth. I giggled when he swallowed the meat in one go.

The food was gone within minutes but there was still more to cook later. According to my watch it was 8:43 pm. The walkers come out more at night than the day. I checked each window just to be sure that they couldn't break through the boards I had put up two weeks ago. When everything seemed to be secure I sat on the floor next to Kona. He crawled closer and placed his head on my lap.

"We won't be going hungry for a while now, Boy." I said as I felt my eye lids become heavy. I his head until I fell into a deep sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its 6:26 am, time to get going on cooking the rest of the buck I caught the other day. I grabbed my parka and boots that were now dry and slipped them on. I unlocked the door and headed to the tree with my prize in it. I had almost reached the spot I heard mine and almost every ones worst nightmare these days. Walkers.

They surrounded and carcass on the ground and were feeding on it. I pulled my bow out to rid of the monsters. One by one my arrows pierced there skulls until they were no longer alive.

I slowly made my way towards what they were gathered around, hoping it wasn't what I thought it was.

The dear that I killed yesterday was laying the ground, nothing but the antlers and bones were left. The rope I had used the tie it to the tree had be demolished and ripped to shreds beside it. I felt like having a breakdown and crying as I assessed what as left of the buck. I worked all week to kill that damn dear and now it was the walkers food.

My mind was still trying to accept it but it was hard to. You don't find food like that ever again and once it was gone, it was gone. I somehow made it back the the cabin and closed the door. I turn my back to the door and slide down to the floor, tears escaping my eyes.

I cried like that for a while. I hadn't noticed that Kona was siting in front of me. A faint whimper left his mouth, I sensed another breakdown coming. Kona was just as hungry as I was. It broke my heart to see him like this and I cried until I fell asleep against the door.

 

I woke up to Kona nuzzling my hand to wake me up. He whined and barked at me and I slowly stood up. Kona frantically pawed at the door and continued to whine. I glanced down at my watch and it read 7:51 pm. I hesitantly opened the door and Kona made a b-line for the forest.

"Kona! stop!" I shouted and immediately clamped my mouth shut to not draw walkers to me. I ran after Kona into the woods, dodging the trees as I followed the track he left in the fresh snow. 

I halted when I smelled campfire in the distance and a hint of something else that was quit familiar. The glow of fire danced across the trees and the laughter of people echoed through the forest. I walk quietly towards the people to get a closer and more detailed look.

The laughing and cheering was clearer but I still didn't know what it was for. Crouching behind a tree I peeked out to find out. Vicious growling and barking can be heard and the people shouted and cheered at the dogs to attack another dog. Kona.

They were cooking meat over the fire, the meat I had caught. I felt my stomach drop when the dogs ganged up on Kona and loud, horrid whines can from him.

"Stop! you're dogs are killing him!" I yelled as I jumped from my spot behind the tree to save Kona from more pain.

One of the people had a gun pointed in my direction. I froze in place and watched the dogs tackle Kona to the ground. One of the men whistled and the dogs stepped back. The man who whistled had a shotgun at hand and was pointing it at Kona.

My adrenalin was pumping as I ran at the man wit the gun pointed at Kona and elbowed him in the face and the gun shot it bullet towards Kona.

I gasped as a knife was imbedded into my thigh. Pain shot its way down my leg and I fell to the ground only pushing the bade farther in my leg. I screamed out in pain. I reached down my leg and found the hilt of the knife and pulled it out of my leg. Hot tears were coming out of my eyes as I looked around at the people around me.

I felt myself loosing more blood every second passing. My vision was becoming blurry and all sound has gone. The people were tackling each other and I didn't understand why until the I realized they were be attacked by walkers.

Kona limped over to me. He came into my view and his right ear had a hole through it. Blood oozed out of his shoulder and his fur was covered in dirt.

He bark weakly and nudged me to stand. I crawled to the nearest tree and leaned against it position myself to stand. I grabbed a stick that was to my left and pushed myself up with it. I felt lightheaded as I put more pressure on my wound. Spot were crowding my vision making it hard for me to stay on my feet.

I was to distracted and didn't notice that the walkers had finished with the other people and were coming after me. One of the shotguns were on the ground half buried in snow. I reached out and snatched the gun from the snow.

I pointed and aimed at the walkers head and pulled the trigger. The kickback knock me to the ground onto my wound. Fresh tears flowed down my face as I screamed once again from the pain.

I scrambled to my feet and limped as fast as I could way from the scene. Kona quickly hobbled after me. My adrenalin was fading once we made a big distance from the walkers and us.

I fell down into the snow onto my knees and the rest of my body crashed to the ground. My blood was seeping onto the snow creating a pool around me. I was beginning to lose consciousness as my eyes fought t say open. Kona was barking and whining none stop witch was helping me stay awake.

Konas barks were becoming fainter and lesser. Ether I was dyeing or he left me, I thought. A person figure rush towards me and kneeled in front of me. And that was the last thing I saw before I lost consciousness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello! this chapter was so fun to write! I hope you enjoyed reading!

Anyways. I'll hopefully see you in the next chapter!