o02

Trip to Joseon Dynasty

  “Jimin!”

 

  He woke up with a start, fumbling over the covers to search his phone but he couldn’t find it. He realized that he was not in his own room in Busan, but rather in his grandma’s guest room. Ah, that’s why. He glanced at the window as the sunlight filtered through the room.

 

  That’s weird. He couldn’t remember his dream, or at least the important parts of his dream. He just shrugged the thought off.

 

  His grandmother was already awake and making breakfast on the kitchen when Jimin went out. The aroma of the eggs and pancakes drifted through the air. Nostalgia hit him hard. Jimin already missed his mother who was miles away from him.

 

  “Good morning, dear. I prepared breakfast for you.” His grandmother was smiling, and Jimin found himself smiling back at her.

 

  “Thanks, grandma.”

 

  “Don’t call me grandma. It makes me feel old. Hana would do,” she playfully poked Jimin’s forehead.

 

  Jimin chuckled, his eyes forming into small crescents. Hana was so like his mom. They look similar too, Hana has brown almond eyes almost identical to his mother. Secretly, Jimin was envious of their beauty. He got his father’s genes instead, small eyes and chubby cheeks. “But you’re 56 already.”

 

  Hana glared at Jimin, although jokingly. “Actually, I’m 55.”

 

  “Well, doesn’t make much of a difference.” Jimin snorted and decided to help Hana so they could already eat the breakfast she prepared.

 

 

  He was left alone on Hana’s home. She had to go to the orphanage to make sure the kids were behaving properly. Jimin didn’t want to leave and explore yet so he decided to stay and volunteered to watch over the house.

 

  It was when he went to the living room that he noticed, the dragon hairpin was gone. He was already getting curious. Why would his grandmother hide it?

 

  As intriguing as it was, he didn’t want to pry on people’s privacy. Maybe, it was something sentimental. Maybe, it was some sort of a memory reminder to Hana. Maybe, she just didn’t want people to see it. He scratched the back of his neck distractedly.

 

  He decided to go to his room to start unpacking his things when he detected a bright light coming from the storeroom. Instantly, his feet brought him towards the door. It was so unusual. Why was it glowing blue?

 

  He was close to sliding the door open when Hana called from the outside. “I’m home!”

 

  Jimin snapped out from the haziness. Definitely, there’s something wrong with him. He couldn’t exactly pinpoint what but it was making his mind a jumbled mess of thoughts.

 

 

  He couldn’t sleep at night. He kept thinking about the dragon hairpin. He felt compelled to find and discover what secrets were engraved on it. It was like he was being magnetically pulled by a strong force making him restless.

 

  He got out of bed to head outside and drink a glass of water. Probably then, he could be able to relax and sleep. The cold temperature prickled his spine, his vision spinning around that he didn’t notice he was sauntering into the unusual room. Upon entering the storeroom, he saw a box glowing in a dark shade of blue. He stepped forward and aimed to reach for the box when it stirred slightly, waiting for it to be unlocked.

 

  Jimin touched the exterior and admired the intricate carve of the box. Hesitantly, he opened the lid and saw the dragon hairpin. It was glowing beautifully, tempting him to touch. Besides, he was sure nothing would happen to him.

 

  He wrapped his nimble fingers on the hairpin. It felt warm, getting hotter and hotter. Jimin was about to drop it when the hairpin sparkled and brought him to a different place.

 

 

  Jimin was floating through the mist. His mind was functioning, but he couldn’t move his body like he wanted to. He was getting anxious, praying that all of these were just a terrible dream and he would wake up tomorrow, safe and sound.

 

  Suddenly, a white light flickered into the mist. The light enveloped Jimin, and he couldn’t stop it because he was paralyzed. He closed his eyes and braced for his death.

 

  Silence.

 

  His mind went blank and he passed out.

 

  “He won’t wake up, Namjoon!”

 

  “But his heart is beating normally. Do you have the ointment now?”

 

  Jimin could hear voices. He fluttered his eyes open, and sure enough, two unfamiliar faces greeted his sight.

 

  “Who are— ahh!” Jimin groaned when he noticed his arm aching. The man with a soft voice and feminine features immediately assisted him.

 

  “Careful there. You dislocated your arm,” the boy uttered, handing him a warm tea placed on a tray. Jimin accepted it hesitantly, still processing what just happened to him. “What happened, where am I, and who are you guys?”

 

  “Easy boy. One question at a time.” The one with a deeper voice chuckled. “Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Kim Namjoon, and this is Kim Seokjin.”

 

  “Just call me Jin.” He smiled and patted Jimin’s hair. “We found you lying unconsciously in front of our home. We decided to bring you here because it seems like you’re… lost. Where are you from?”

 

  That’s when it hit Jimin. He gazed at the other man who was wearing a Dopo— mostly worn by Confucian scholars called seonbi. A seonbi was to live a modest life, learn continuously without end, and strive to perfect his character not only by acquiring knowledge, but by learning and following the rightful path. The other one was dressed in Jeogori, the basic upper garment for men and women. He had a bad feeling about this.

 

  “Guessing from the way you dress, you’re not from here are you?  Perhaps you’re a time-traveller?” Namjoon asked, gaze unyielding. He looked like he was on his late twenties.

 

  Jimin thought this was ridiculous. He didn’t know what to feel at this moment. He might have no chance to go back if he indeed time-travelled. “The dragon hairpin…”

 

  “Oh, I’ve read a legend about the dragon hairpin.” Namjoon commented. “I’m quite in love with knowledge and stories. Long time ago, there was a princess who never wanted to be wedded to anyone. She hid her Binyeo— the dragon hairpin and fled away to escape her fate. It was then that the fates brought her to a commoner whom she fell in love with. They live a happy life together, until the princess suddenly disappeared without a trace.” 

 

  Jimin was too stunned to even speak. “I haven’t read about that, but I have always been interested in this dynasty,” he finally said, scratching the back of his neck.

 

  Jin beamed and ruffled Jimin’s hair. “Not all stories are written, young man. Not all books could teach you lessons.”

 

  Jimin’s was filled with excitement and anticipation. He had always wanted to learn and to discover things on his own. Now that he was here, he has the chance to explore and understand. No more girls to pester him, and no more boring lectures. But the other part of him was miserable. What would his mother think if she found out that her son was missing?

 

  “I really need to go back to the time where I belong. My mother would too much.” Jimin sighed, sipping on his warm tea.

 

  Namjoon looked at Jin, then at Jimin. “It was said that the princess’ soul was trapped on her Binyeo. My theory is, the dragon hairpin radiates power to jump into time lapses and eventually bring you to another world.” He paused for awhile. “What did you do to the dragon hairpin?”

 

  “I just touched it.”

 

  Jin made a wild guess. “Perhaps this dragon hairpin you’re talking about has a blue diamond on its mouth?” Jimin replied with a nod.

 

  “Then I know where it is found, but it will be difficult to retrieve or at least touch it.”

 

  Jimin smiled, determined to be able to get back to his own world. “I’m willing to do anything just to go back to my world.”

 

  “Okay then. But first,” Jin grinned. “… let us be acquainted with each other.”

 

  Jimin thought that was not a terrible idea. He had a lot to ask from the both of them and now that he had the chance, he would make this worthwhile.

 

 

  “Your Majesty, I find my tutor incompetent.” Grand Prince Min Yoongi uttered.

 

  The king rubbed the stubble on his chin. This was the last tutor who had passed his standards, and for Yoongi to complain that Kim Seokjin was inept made him worry. No one would be able to keep up with his son’s snobbish and cold attitude.

 

  “Confucius said:"One is worthy of being or becoming a teacher if one is able to derive new understanding while revising what he has learned." Grand Prince Min Yoongi looked straight into his father’s eyes. “Therefore, I want a new tutor.”