Chapter 7

I Just Wanna

Aj tapped his pen on his lap. He was leaning against the wall of the music room and trying not to fidget too much. Krystal's busy schedule permitted her to begin practicing a week after her arrival, but Aj still had nothing good enough for the concert. Krystal was currently singing along to his hastily written lyrics while Soohyun played a melody he had long forgotten about on the piano. Truthfully, it was a good song, great even, but Aj was not satisfied. Something felt off and he was trying to figure it out. Was it the lyrics? The chord progressions? Both? Maybe it was the overall mood of the song? Most likely. His teeth gnawed at his top lip as he forced himself to stay silent.

Krystal wasn't allowed to know he had written the song.

His anxiousness was increased by the growing group of people that crowded the window of the music room, wanting to see and hear Krystal live.

Could your feelings perhaps be the same as mine?

Will you give me another chance?

I know that we can never part from each other

The one person I love and love again

Before the pair could hit the high note, Minchun and Daehoon burst into the music room exposing several employees behind the door, who quickly scattered like roaches once the door had been opened. It looked like Daehoon and Minchun had been racing each other.

"Soohyun. Minchun broke the reverb adjuster again-" Daehoon began before being cut off by his coworker.

"I didn't break it, I simply increased it. Minchun is the one who removed the knob." Minchun cut in, holding up a little black dial. Soohyun hung his head in defeat and embarrassment. He stood up, shot a glare at the two, and faced Krystal.

"I'm sorry my coworkers are destructive idiots." He said with a small apologetic bow. "You can go home now. I'm sure the work we've done today has taken a toll on your throat. Go home and rest." Before Soohyun could walk out of the room and smack both of the buffoons standing in the doorway, Krystal spoke up.

"Actually, if it's okay, I would like to keep practicing. I have a free schedule today so I would like to go a little bit ahead if I can." She said. Soohyun nodded and pointed to Aj.

"Go ahead. Aj can play the piano part so he can help you with that." Soohyun lowered his hand and looked at Krystal with a kind but stern look. "Just make sure you don't stay too long. You need to rest."

Krystal nodded with a smile as Soohyun walked away with Daehoon and Minchun in his tracks. Once the door closed, a small silence filled the room before Aj cleared his throat and sat next to Krystal. He pushed his pen into his back pocket before placing his hands atop the piano. His fingers automatically located to the correct keys. Without a word, he began to play the song where Krystal and Soohyun had left off while Krystal closed her eyes and sang along.

I know that we can never part from each other

The one person I love and love again

Oh

The brunette suddenly stopped singing and looked at the blonde next to her.

“That chord you just played isn’t part of the music score.” She said as she watched him continue to play. Her brows furrowed curiously. It was as if he knew the song like the back of his hand. The blonde suddenly removed his hands from the instrument.

"I thought it sounded better." He said, not meeting her eyes. He was staring at the piano in such a way, she wondered if he was holding something back. "The added F sharp chord adds a little...hope into the high note. At least, that's just my-"

"Where did you learn how to play the piano?" The woman interrupted. Aj paused. He was startled by the sudden question and he knew he had to tread carefully when speaking to Krystal.

"I taught myself." He said. His fingers tapped aimlessly at the leather bench they both sat on. He was anxious, Krystal noticed. She pushed the thought away. Lots of people were nervous around her. She decided a different approach when speaking to the blonde.

"I didn't mean to pry. It's just that you're very good." She told him gently. Her lips bent into a smile as she gazed at the keys. "I can tell the difference between people who can play music and people can feel music. I can feel music when I play it." She looked at him.

"I can tell you feel it too."

Aj kept his eyes on his hands by his side. He noticed he was tapping the leather so he stuck his hands into his pockets.

"You really don't have to do this." The blonde said, looking towards the woman. Krystal raised her eyebrows.

"I'm sorry, what?" She asked, confused. Aj looked at her, grateful they were not too close to each other.

“You don’t have to practice this song. It’ll be trashed sooner or later anyways.”

"I thought Minho and I were singing this song for the concert."

Aj shook his head.

"This isn't the song you guys will be singing. I don't-" He caught himself. "Minho doesn't think this song is good enough."

"Minho hasn't even been here to sing it with me. I know he wrote it, but how will he know if he doesn't at least try to sing it once?" Krystal asked bitterly. Her tone caused Aj to avert his eyes and Krystal felt terrible for snapping at him. Before she could apologize, Aj responded.

"It's not really about the quality of the song. It's a good song and you both will make it a very nice duo when singing it." He admitted. He removed his right hand from his pocket and scratched the back of his neck.

“It’s just that the Valentine’s concert is supposed to be happy and hopeful, not sad and wistful. Although this is a great song, I believe something far simpler and optimistic should be sung. Something that grasps the idea of a simple and innocent love would be the ideal.” The blonde rambled. He put his hand down and shrugged. “At least, that’s what I believe.” the song.

"That's...a good point, Aj." She said quietly. Although Aj had looked away, Krystal found herself staring at the blonde with a newfound curiosity. Who was this guy?

"I heard you were also the co-music coach. Is that correct?" She asked suddenly. Her question caught Aj by surprise.

"Uh, yes, that's correct. I help coach our singers with IU." He replied. Assuming their practice was finished, Aj moved the fallboard over the keys to gently close it.

"Can I hear you sing then?"

Aj's fingers slipped and the fallboard fell on his fingers. The pair jumped, one surprised and the other embarrassed while in pain.

"Ah, um, not right now, sorry." Aj said, holding his hands tenderly. Krystal stared at him, eyes wide with worry.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" She asked. Aj looked at his fingers and started laughing despite his situation.

"I'm fine, but I guess we really have to stop practicing now." He said, his eyes glistening either with playfulness or tears. Krystal, overwhelmed by the male in front of her, began to laugh too.

"You're...a bit of a dork." She told him. He nodded his head with a little tilt and his lips formed a cute smile.

"Yeah, I get that a lot."

***

Aj plopped on his bed. He had been working overtime since Krystal showed up, going home at midnight or later with the music production team. His stomach rumbled and begged for food, but Aj couldn't take another night of ramen. He needed real food, but getting up from his bed would prove a difficult task, so he lay where he was.

His eyes stuck on the ceiling as he thought about the events earlier: Minho taking the day off while everyone in the office lied and told Krystal he was busy with schedules, Taemin bantering with Sulli over who ate Sulli's blueberry muffin off of her tray, Key being Key...and Krystal...

Aj rolled over to his side where a streetlight outside shed light onto his bed and placed his hands under the golden glow. His fingers were not bruised and had healed since he hit them. He remembered Krystal calling him a dork and staring at him. There was something in her eyes. Did she assume something? Was she suspicious of him? He couldn't blame her. He had acted indubitably suspicious.

His pocket suddenly vibrated. Aj reached into his pocket to pull out his phone. He unlocked it with his finger and read his recent text. It was from Key.

Bum: Your father plans to attend the concert 😔

Aj sighed before responding. Yet another problem to add to his plate.

ajol: guess my songs of seduction are off the table then (':

Within seconds, Key responded. Aj smiled. His friend was always either working, eating, or on his phone.

Old Bum: That's one way to end you and Minho's career 😂😂

Old Bum: Btw, check the Fartsy group chat. It's been like 50 years since you said anything in there

ajol: probably cause I muted it? lmao

Old Bum: Maybe if you weren't such a muting , you would know that we're planning a little get-together before the concert 🤔

ajol: ah

ajol: I'll check it now, grandpa. thanks (:

Before Aj could read the possible line of obscenities sent by Key in his next text, Aj switched over to a group chat, one of many, that he was part of.

Dae(6) Swoon: and that's why twitter remains the superior platform.😷

min 😎: You do realize you're talking to yourself right

Dae(6) Swoon: then why does it say "read by 2" instead of "delivered" 🤔🤔🤔

min 😎:Because you have an android. Ugly!

Dae(6) Swoon:  LISTEN

ajol: you guys never stop arguing do you?

Dae(6) Swoon: AJ

min 😎: AJ LIVES

Dae(6) Swoon: it's been 500 years 😔

ajol: I saw you today

Dae(6) Swoon: lemme rephrase

Dae(6) Swoon:  it's been 500 years since you last texted us  😔

min 😎: Boy, you never stop overreacting do you?

Dae(6) Swoon: you know i can totally take you in a fight right?

ajol: before you guys pummel each other, someone inform me of the get together we're apparently having

Dae(6) Swoon:  oh yeah! we were actually gonna talk about it in the office tomorrow. we're deciding if we wanna meet up at Jin's Eats or TP

min 😎:  I want to go to Jin's. I miss his kimchi...

Dae(6) Swoon:  OR we can go to TP and get WASTED

💭Soohyun💭: Or we can go to sleep like regular people do at 2 AM in the morning.

min 😎:  Oops. Sorry!  I was heading to bed anyways. Good night guys!

Dae(6) Swoon:  there's a mute button 🗣

💭Soohyun💭:  I just wish you had one, Dae. Say one more thing and I'll deal with you tomorrow.

Dae(6) Swoon:  goodnight!

💭Soohyun💭:  You too Aj. I can see that you're reading this. You really need to rest.

ajol: I kept silent because I didn't want you chewing me out too 😂 good night

With an amused smile, Aj locked his phone and placed it by his bedside. He stretched in his bed and lazily moved his blanket on top of him. As he slowly lulled himself to sleep with the city sounds of cars passing by and trains squealing on their tracks, he moved his hand back into the orange glow on his bed and gazed at his fingers.

"I can tell you feel it too."

Not for the first time, Aj wondered what it would be like to be a singer. Not a ghost-singer like he was, but a recognized one. Someone who when people listen to his music, they would say, "Ah yes, this is Aj's song."

The thought made him happy, of course, but it also brought him dread. Dread of what his dream would do to his friendship with Minho, the guy who had been there throughout his life. People would despise his friend. Although Minho acted tough, Aj knew that inside, he hurt. He was his own biggest critic and when others attacked him too, he felt cornered. Aj had seen the weakest parts of Minho before and he couldn't bear to see his friend like that again. Not after Minho had helped him get through Aj's weakest moments with not only himself, but with his father.

Oh the dread with his father. Disowning Aj would be the least of Aj's worries. In fact, disowning him would be one of the better reactions his father could give him.

And what of the company? If LCJ, a company that promised quality and good merit, was in charge of one of the biggest scams that involved currently one of the biggest singers in the music industry...Aj couldn't think of any possible way the company could recover from the harsh media.

Aj frowned at the thought when the golden light covering his hand flickered. His hand, for a brief second, had been surrounded by darkness. Although sluggish from his sleepy state, Aj caught it and sighed. He guessed it was a sign. It would be better for him to stay quiet. Everything was going so well for everyone at the moment. It wouldn't be fair of him to be selfish and ruin the lives of his loved one.

With that final thought, Aj fell asleep, the fallen tears on the bridge of his nose and pillow unnoticed.