001

Danger

It was one of those days where you didnt feel like doing anything. Rain was pouring down as if the sky was sobbing. This did not make anything better for Sohee. Especially because she hated the combination of Mondays and rain. She let out a loud sigh as she exited her house with her huge umbrella. As she was leaving to catch the bus, she saw an unfamiliar face in the neighborhood. He looked about 6 feet tall and had blonde hair. He had a cigarette in his mouth and had an umbrella balanced on his right shoulder. He was taking multiple drags on his cigarette in a matter of seconds. Sohee realized that he had her school uniform on.

"Guess he's a transfer student," she thought to herself.

As soon as she was about to keep walking, he caught her staring and took his cigarette out of his mouth. He stared right back and the way he stared was so deep and dull at the same time it made Sohee throroughly uncomfortable. She looked away quickly and started walking with a faster speed to her bus stop. 

When she arrived to school, she took her seat in her homeroom class and took out her books as soon as she did. Her grades were priority. She was more of a stay-home-and-study type of girl rather than a go-out-and-party type of girl - resulting in her being somewhat of an outcast from the rest of the students in this entire school. There were a few students who prioritized their grades, as well; however, when they think its the right time to give themselves a break, they take the time to party with their friends. Unlike them, Sohee considered and strongly preferred staying at home and reading as her "break".

"Class, take your seats and settle down, please. I have a new transfer student that I would like to introduce," Sohee's homeroom teacher, Mrs. Kwon, announced. Next to her was the same guy she saw this morning with the blonde hair. 

"His name is Woo Jiho and he came from America. Please welcome him warmly and make him feel comfortable, okay class?"

"Okay, Mrs. Kwon," we all said and bowed.

"Great. Now, Jiho, take an empty seat anywhere and that will be your assigned seat for the rest of the school year," Mrs. Kwon said to Jiho.

Jiho looked around and noticed Sohee right away. Because Sohee was an over achiever who, according to her other classmates, does not know how to give herself a break, she had no one who sat next to her. There was one student who was originally assigned to sit next to her but he ended up asking for a seat change because every time he would try to talk to her, she would reply coldly and go back to studying. When he locked eyes with her, he slightly raised his right eyebrow and looked away. She did not want him sitting next to her. Although she did not know anything about this guy, she definitely knew for sure that she did not want to have to come to class and sit next to someone who reeked like cigerattes. While she was trying her best to avoid eye contact with him, he announced to Mrs. Kwon, "I'll sit right here," and knocked on the table attached to Sohee's. 

Sohee rolled her eyes only to herself so that neither Jiho nor Mrs. Kwon could see. Of course this would happen. Of course it could get worse than "Monday plus rain". As soon as Mrs. Kwon took the attendance and left, Sohee looked at Jiho. Noticing this, Jiho stared back dumbfoundedly and raised his eyebrow once again.

"I really do welcome you and I really do not have a problem with you being a new student in our class. But I would greatly appreciate it if you would not smoke before coming into this classroom, only because it's an unpleasant smell and it bothers me a lot," she said with a cold look.

Jiho looked at her the same way he did when they made eye contact with each other this morning. Deep yet very dull. He looked at her like this for a good ten seconds and gave her a slight smile and looked away. Flustered by his actions, she scoffed quietly released an annoyed sigh. 

"Excuse me. I would like to at least hear a reply. If not, I will take that as you agreeing to my request," Sohee said.

Jiho said nothing and put his head down to rest. Sohee could not believe what she was seeing. Has he not learned basic etiquette? He definitely was not deaf or mute because he spoke to Mrs. Kwon perfectly fine before. Whatever, Sohee thought. If he's going to be this quiet for the rest of the year, she would be fine. All she needed was to study without any distractions and he seemed to be involuntarily contributing to her plan, somewhat. 

Once it was lunch time, Sohee took her book and walked down to the cafeteria alone. Jiho was still in the classroom with his head down but Sohee could care less about him. It was his first day in this school and all he did today was rest his head on the table. No matter how many times our teachers tried to wake him up, he would not budge. He was still breathing but it seemed almost as if he was unconscious the whole day.

When Sohee reached the cafeteria, she got her lunch and sat down on her seat that she always sat on. It was a table that was isolated from the rest of the students during this lunch period. That's the way she liked it. Nice and quiet so that she could read her book. Just then, she noticed Jiho making an entrance to the cafeteria. Sohee scoffed to herself as she saw him come in. Wow, he wakes up just in time to eat. As Jiho walked in, he looked at a circle of guys and his eyes go from dull to infuriated. The guys that he was looking at quickly seemed to recognize him and gave him a smirk. Looking disgusted, Jiho walked right back out of the cafeteria and made his way out of the school building. After witnessing the intense moment between the guys and Jiho, Sohee quickly looked down at her book and pretended to read. 

What the hell just happened? Isn't Jiho a new transfer student? How does he know those guys? Oh my gosh today is so weird, she thought to herself. She softly shook her head to snap out of her thoughts and went back to reading. Who the heck cares, anyway. It's not like this has anything to do with me, she thought and took a sip of her apple juice. 

As the last bell rang for school, Sohee packed her books and walked out of the school building. Jiho hasn't showed up to class after lunch and he definitely did not leave such a great first impression for the teachers. It was still raining and all she could think of was getting home and taking a nice, warm shower. Today was a long, drowsy day. She sighed and opened up her umbrella and started walking to her bus stop. When she got to her bus stop, she recognized Jiho by his blonde hair right away. Sohee sighed thinking about how often she was going to have to bump into him in the future. 

Both Jiho and Sohee got off at the same stop; however, Sohee knew for sure that they would have to walk the same path in order to get home and she did not like the idea of that at all. Because she wanted to decrease the number of times interacting with or seeing each other, she walked the longer way to get home. While walking the longer way, she did not miss a breath to curse Jiho out. She did not know if he was a bad guy or not, but all she knew right now was that he sure was a bother to her. 

Once she reached her house, she took off her rainboots and took a look at herself in her long mirror. She was wearing her school uniform which was a white button up shirt with a red bow and a black blazer on the top and a red skirt on the bottom. When she looked at herself she cursed Jiho out one last time because she was covered in rain despite carrying a huge umbrella with her. If I took the shorter way, I wouldn't have been this wet from the rain, she thought to herself and rolled her eyes. It's only been a day with this new kid in town and she was already hating him.