Chapter 2

Crossroads that Lead us Home

Yifan kept the bouquet until the last flower wilted, browning but still beautiful in the ornate vase purchased solely for the purpose of flower-holding. Jongin, who had initially laughed at Yifan’s eagerness for flower-keeping, now glanced worriedly at him as he dropped his head to his desk, the last dying flower between his fingers.

           “Hyung? What are you doing?”

           Yifan let out a wistful sigh, rolling the stem with his thumb and forefinger. He kept at it for a while longer before abruptly turning and grabbing his partner’s wrist. Jongin, who hadn’t actually been expecting a response, yelped in surprise, drawing the attention of Kyungsoo on his phone on the other side of the room. Kyungsoo gave the two a curious tilt of the head before turning his attention back to his cellular device.

           “Jongin,” Yifan gasped out dramatically, “Do you believe in love at first sight?”

           Jongin blinked once, twice, three times before yanking his wrist back, rubbing it where Yifan’s fingers had gripped too tightly. He sent a hesitant look towards Kyungsoo, glad that the PA was still distracted by whatever he was doing on his mobile and had therefore missed the elder CEO’s outburst. He turned to give Yifan a stern response before noticing the other curled miserably against the floor. His gaze softened.

           “Hey, hey. First off, I hope that the love at first sight thing isn’t directed to me because,” when he has Yifan’s attention, he purposefully turns towards Kyungsoo before turning back to give Yifan a meaningful look. “Second off, what’s gotten into you? I don’t remember you being this sappy ever, even when your high school girlfriend offered to blow you if-”

           Yifan’s hand made a beeline for Jongin’s mouth, followed by a hissed ‘we agreed never to bring that up again’ and a groan. Jongin stifled his laughter in favour of continued comforting, rubbing the parts of Yifan’s back that he could reach now that the taller was slouched against the ground. He heard Kyungsoo snort in the background, amusement clear in the quiet giggles that floated over to the pair. Jongin felt his heart swell and passed a smile to the assistant with the added motion of a finger across his throat. Kyungsoo could only respond by laughing a little louder.

~ o ~

           Yixing groaned as he struggled to balance both pots of hydrangeas while opening the door to the now empty flower shop. With the door successfully opened, he unceremoniously dumped his cargo to the left of the entrance and wiped the dirt off his hands before reaching for his keys. With the keys securely in his grasp, he let out a gasp as he tripped over the recently positioned flowers in his rush to leave quickly to avoid the evening traffic. Once outside, the petite male pressed the store keys into their metal slot, securing his tiny boutique before clicking haphazardly on his car keys in an attempt to locate his shiny silver beetle. Several small beeps alerted the male of his car’s location, and before long, Yixing stood in front of his dying car. He held back the urge to curse as the twist of the key in the ignition failed to ignite any response but a helpless sputter from the car. A quick glance at his phone and the road told him that there would be no chance of a cab today, with rush hour around the corner and a short distance between the store and his house. Pensively, he bit his lip and set the map on his phone to the nearest bus stop.

~ o ~

           Outside the office, Yifan waved half-heartedly to his partner as Jongin and Kyungsoo set off towards the nearest diner to grab dinner together. Choosing to leave the developing couple to their own devices, Yifan finds himself alone as he pulls out his phone to check the time while heading towards the carpark. Engrossed in the latest level of candy crush, Yifan doesn’t notice anything amiss until he finds himself in a tangled mess on the floor with quite possibly the cutest person he has ever seen.

~ o ~

           Yixing doesn’t really know how this happened. One second, he was religiously following the tiny arrow on the GPS application on his phone, and the next, he was spread comfortably across the concrete ground, feeling a distinct lack of concrete against most of his body. Hands tucked in and eyes clamped shut, he risked a peek at the owner of the warm and solid surface beneath him before promptly groaning. ‘Oh no,’ Yixing felt hands tighten around his waist and resisted the urge to snuggle deeper into the wide chest he caught a brief glimpse of. ‘He’s hot.

~ o ~

Yifan struggled to string words together as he felt the latter fluster from his perch on top of the taller male, grasping onto narrow hips instinctively as Yixing attempted to fly off in embarrassment. Yifan only realized he was staring when he found the other male staring right back at him with familiar brown eyes. He blinks once, twice, three times before the name comes to him.

“Uh, Yixing! Hey, what’s up?” Act casual, Yifan, act casual. His internal mantra seems to fail him as he attempts to stand, only to find his hands still firmly on Yixing’s waist. Yifan thanks the heavens that Yixing only seems to giggle at the situation as he pulls his hands back to his own sides to rest against his pockets rather than in them, as they usually would, resembling a nervous high school student rather than an embarrassed adult. He feels something flutter in his chest when he spots a hint of recognition flicker in Yixing’s eyes before pink lips spread into an open toothed smile. Yifan forces himself to remain still as Yixing closes the space between them, observing the CEO.

“I told you my name,” he starts, “but you never told me yours.”

Yifan mentally smacks himself. Of course.

“Yifan. My name is Yifan.”

~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~ o ~

Ahhh! It's out! Thanks to btsftw for beta-reading, and thanks to the readers for their patience and feedback. ^_^