Mom

Coming out

"Mom? I need to talk to you."

 
It's been a long day at work and you really should be asleep by now but the soft tone of your only son's voice grabs your attention. Being a single parent makes everything doubly hard and the last thing you'd want is for your baby boy to be sad. 
 
You perk up on your seat by the kitchen counter, waiting for Jinyoung to come join you. Your eyebrows furrow at the strained look in his eyes. He is clearly bothered by something, scared even. He hesitated before taking a seat across from you, looking down with a forlorn look in his eyes. 
 
"Are you okay?" You manage to sound out, reaching over to hold his shaking hands in yours.
 
You've always felt rather guilty for not providing him with the best upbringing. Coming from a broken family meant that Jinyoung was forced to grow up and mature early - helping out with household chores by the time he was in elementary school and eventually working part time when he was sixteen. But Jinyoung has always been a dear. He is hardworking and never caused any problems in school, albeit he has been teased and bullied for his family background. The boy was strong, he didn't let the bullying get to him and he never complained about anything. He is such a compassionate and understanding boy and you're so proud of him.
 
However, the said boy is now looking at his lap, as though mustering the courage to speak up. You rub circles into his hand using your thumb, patiently waiting.
 
"M-mom, I want to tell you that... I'm gay and I'm so s-sorry." His head was still down but you could see the tears free-falling and staining his shirt with little wet blotches.
 
It honestly took you by surprise even though you had your suspicions when he was younger. You stood up silently, hurting a little when you saw how Jinyoung visibly tensed. You walk over to him, quickly embracing him in a tight hug and placing kisses on his temple. He wept on your shoulder, soaking your work blouse with tears.
 
"Oh, baby. I love you, no matter what. Don't cry, Jinyoungie." You whisper in his ears.
 
His sobbing grew harder, managing to somehow word out a 'Thank you, mom. I love you so much' between sobs.
 
When he finally calmed down and nothing seemed to have changed from your usual routine, you finally decided to question him.
 
"So... do you have a boyfriend?"
 
He turned bright red at that question, sputtering out a "N-no, mom. What are you saying?"
 
You smirk. That boy is not a good liar. Either that or you know him too well.
 
"Park Jinyoung. Who is it?"
 
He tensed. "N-no one. Just a friend that I know that goes to my school and-" He risked a glance at your serious face, gives a sigh and decided to tell the truth.
 
"Mark Tuan from geography class might have said something about liking me and I might have agreed to go out with him."
 
"PARK JINYOUNG! I KNEW IT." You exclaim as you threw a couch cushion at him, laughing obnoxiously at how red his face had become.
 
---
 
"Mom, I'm home."
 
"Hey! Is Mark with you?"
 
"Nope, he has practice today but he might be coming over after."
 
"Okay, ask him if he wants to stay over the weekend to keep you company while I work."
 
"Mom! Stop it! You're such a fangirl."