Coffee on a Brutally Cold Morning

Over A Cup of Coffee

“What a night…”

Hongbin says to himself as he woke up from an odd smelling couch, odd but quite familiar. His shirt all wrinkled, almost tattered, exposing his collarbones down to his toned chest. Stains here and there, the shirt almost giving up on its supposed purpose as a shirt, he’d probably decide on just throwing it away afterwards. Or the laundry might.

On the process of sitting up Hongbin’s world spun like a tea cup in Disneyland and, trust me, it’s not that fun with your liver’s full of buckets of beer. Wonshik had invited him out after a success in his career, he seemed to have composed a new piece and the producers seemed to like it too much that they already called on someone to record in a heartbeat and that only meant one thing, he’s getting paid.

He seemed content with how his life is going so far and Wonshik never really asked for much. Or maybe nothing he spoke out too demandingly. He had ambitions but that never stopped him to live in every moment in his life and that’s probably what Hakyeon adored about him. Hongbin sat still and slipped on his shoes, cringing at the particles and splash stains on them. It must be puke. The thought almost making him lose his marbles but this was Wonshik’s new apartment and he would flip if Hongbin puked on his new woolen rug, he barely lets anyone have contact with it especially with shoes on. Hongbin then proceeded to wobble through the hallway, walking past a slightly open bedroom door revealing some clothes on the floor. “Wonshik, again?”

Hongbin shook his head and pursued to toddle towards the kitchen instead, refusing to see his best friend in the aftermath of a couple bottles of vodka with his lover.

“He better have some coffee, at least.”

Hongbin rummaged through the cupboards but considering how Wonshik just recently moved, they were all empty aside from the bags of chips and instant noodles he had in the top right cupboard. He’s always been so stingy and unhealthy. Wonshik always brought Hongbin home with him after a night of drinking out since Hongbin doesn’t want to trouble his roommate with all the crashing and banging when gets home at four in the morning, the kid was in his crucial year in college he’s pretty pampered already. The best Hongbin could offer him is silence as he had his peaceful slumber. Hyuk’s pretty smart, always hitting the books and serious with his studies. Hongbin constantly debated on inviting the younger boy out to drink with him sometimes, he was young and free, a little liquor from time to time should help in releasing stress. Groans. What was he thinking? Wonshik’s gotten into his head too much.

Grabbing his coat he heads for the door, the wobbling still winning over walking. He needed to sober up. Hongbin steps in the elevator and sees his reflection as the doors closed before him. He was a physical wreck. He tries to patch himself up but his hair refuses to cooperate. His unique sleeping position on Wonshik’s couch decided on this hairstyle for him three hours ago when Hongbin was too drunk to knocked out to protest.

How embarrassing.

He buttons up his coat on this cold Saturday morning, his breath freezing as he exhales it. Quite like his fingers. He forgot to grab his scarf and other human necessities in such weather but he knew what the perfect substitute would be.

A warm cup of coffee.

The neighborhood was entirely new to him, it was in a different part of the city and his journey here last night was altogether blurry. Alcohol is magical to be capable of such wonders. In his attempt to stay warm and human instead of an icicle, he finally walks to a small café. The café was quaint and had such an “at home” feel to it, or it was what Hongbin thought. It the perfect place to be at in this freezing, lazy morning. Just in time, the owner flips over the “Closed” sign to “Open”.

Ring.

Hongbin enters the café and shakes down some snowflakes that fell on his uncooperative hair. His brown locks still standing from all directions, and all those directions unique in their own adorable little way. Hongbin waddles over to the cashier and scans through the menu hung from the ceiling, clasping his hands together for warmth and breathing into them occasionally. The man across the counter stands patiently, his jet black hair parted in two and large waves making the look far from relaxed but natural. Hongbin gets too consumed in reading every detail on the boards he inadvertently starts to lean down on one side. Just before he gravity starts to pull him lower, he wobbles back to the other side. With all of the strength left, he proceeds to stand firmly. He laughs to himself in further embarrassment.

“Rough night.” Hongbin jests, receiving a nod from the other man in response. He wasn’t sure if he was amused or what but he definitely had a pretty hidden funny bone. His deep, black eyes were unquestionably hard to decipher, which was fine at the moment since Hongbin was still hung over. Frozen and hung over.

The older man examines Hongbin more closely, his scent was a mix of liquor and vomit, his hair all ruffled but not as intense as his shirt, his coat buttoned up wrongly but he didn’t seem to notice. Gathering all his observations, it was obvious he woke up from a drunk evening and stumbled upon his café in search for a little “pick-me-up” or as what his employee, Ken, would like to call every time a similar customer came in. The location was clever and convenient in this part of the city from a nearby famous pub in the corner and a clan of massively tall, newly built condominiums in such a busy city. Taekwoon started his business from his true passion in coffee and brewing. He plainly loved coffee. He’s consumed an amount that’s enough to run through his veins and replace all the blood flowing. The smell of every brewed cup was enough to cue a start of a superb day and the taste richer than gallons of those instant ones packed in sachets. Taekwoon despised those. He called them “fake coffee”, a stain in the good name of all beans brewed with proper knowledge.

“I’d suggest an espresso shot or something else that’d suit your taste but I’ll make it stronger for you this morning.” Hongbin blinked. “O-Oh you were talking to me?” He shifts his torso in both directions to scan the empty café. It’s empty so he MUST be talking to me.

Hongbin laughs nervously as Taekwoon cringes in second hand embarrassment. Hongbin cringes in third hand and there was an ear piercing most awkward silence Honbin has ever experienced. He wants to run out and never come back but he knows he needs the caffeine to be able to even run out straight from the establishment.

“Hazelnut?” Hongbin smiles, his lips curving up his cheeks and exposing a dimple on one cheek, a dimple deep enough to poke a pencil in, full of charms and sass, at times.

“Extra strong and venti?” 

Hongbin took it with a humorous intent and chuckles.

“Stronger than the tequila that knocked me out with a punch and a kick in the gut.” Taekwoon slightly bows his head down, punching in Hongbin’s order, his hair flowing down his pale face and Hongbin couldn’t help but stare. “Fluffy.”

Did he just say that out loud?

Taekwoon takes a quick glance at him—

“Did I just say that out loud?”

—a smile he tried oh so hard to hold back.

“I’m sorry! I don’t know half the things my mind’s doing right now, I think I left most of them back in the bar.”

“Seems likely.” Taekwoon retorted. “I’ll give this one on the house.”

Taekwoon handed over a receipt and turns to start brewing.

“Wait what? No, I won’t accept this. I’ll pay for it.” Hongbin waves around the supposed receipt that belonged to him. “I refuse to drink coffee I didn’t pay for. How do you open the register I’ll just shove my money inside.”

Taekwoon returns, amused at Hongbin’s enthusiasm despite the fact he barely functioned as a human a few minutes ago when he stepped foot on the varnished wooden planks. It matched with the dropped ceiling with its auburn and sienna wood stains.

“I don’t think you can.” Taekwoon jests, the humor more prominent than the judgment in the sentence “What’s that supposed to mean? For your information, I could pay for my own coffee. I’m not that pitiful.”

“What I meant was, I don’t think you even have a wallet in your person at the moment since you even forgot to put on some socks.” Taekwoon scoffed. “I doubt you wore those shoes without some.”

Here comes the embarrassment again. God dammit, Lee Hongbin. You talk too much. Hongbin noticed how well Taekwoon obsereved him while the only things Hongbin processed were Taekwoon’s black hair. He then glanced at the other man’s name plate and read it out loud. “Taekwoon.” Good job, Hongbin. You could read. “Do you do this to all your customers?”

Taekwoon started pouring the newly brewed coffee in a massive, white mug that almost looked like a bowl right after he removed the foam from the top. Thinking twice about pouring some milk, he set down the warm pitcher, milk would only lessen the strength and he knew Hongbin doesn’t need it right now. What Hongbin needed was a flying kick to the head, and his special concoction would do just the trick (without the extreme, possible violence he could exhibit at such an early hour).

“No.” He replied then notions to Hongbin. The cure for his frozen hang over was ready, filling the air with its extra caffeinated scent. The smell alone waking up Hongbin’s liquor induced brain cells.  He retracts his hands in response, receiving the white mug filled with liquid energy. “Careful, it’s hot.”

Hongbin smiles, revealing both of his dimples this time. Twice the charm, the black haired man thought. His smile could brighten up his entire café on cold and lonely nights. Such a beautiful man to have walked in this place as wrecked like he partied in 2012 and believed it was the end of the world. He takes the mug in his lady sized hands, cupping it with his palms as if it was a fragile jewel and exhales the warmth away.

“Would you like to keep me company?” A simple act in showing his gratitude, Hongbin invites Taekwoon. “If you’re not busy and all, its fine if you are I’ll just sit here and enjoy this.”

Taekwoon slips off his apron in one action and walks toward a small coffee table for two, right beside the big window. He marvels at the snow starting to fall after every snowflake, blanketing the pavements and the streets, concealing it completely. Hongbin follows and takes the seat right in front of the kind barista he unexpectedly invited for a chat. The invitation came out like word vomit when Hongbin didn’t have anything else in his system to cough out. Surprisingly, the other accepted.

Now, he’s seating so comfortably right in front of Hongbin, chin resting on clasped hands as his black locks flow down to his face, partially covering his eyes. Hongbin places the mug on the coaster provided and blows on it again, ever so gently. He comes along in such pristine that Taekwoon could barely recognize the man who scampered his way inside because the snow started to fall. The glass adjacent to them fogging up as Hongbin exhaled. It was tempting to the both of them to doodle on the glass, who wouldn’t though? It was always a must to do so, immature or not.

“You seem to have a lot of stories. I wonder where you’d start.” Taekwoon spoke softly but loud enough for Hongbin to know it was only a two-person conversation. Taekwoon has always talked this soft; he only raises his volume when he takes over the counter when Jaehwan’s on leave…. Or late, which is most of the time. He would usually scold Jaehwan’s constant tardiness but today he was quite grateful.

“Honestly, I have no idea. I’m sorry if I’m being a burden to your work. I don’t know what came to my mind that I invited you for a little chit chat.” Hongbin slightly bows at Taekwoon who waved his hand at him in response. “Don’t be sorry. Prove to me it wasn’t a mistake to sit here with a liquor-scented stranger this cold, early morning.”

“Uhm... Okay, first of all, I’m Hongbin.” He extends his hand for a handshake—

“Taekwoon.” —he complied and firmly grasped Hongbin’s recently defrosted hand. Hongbin’s hand was definitely smaller than Taekwoon’s and it fit like a glove as Taekwoon held onto it.

Hongbin repeated, “Taekwoon-shi.” His hand felt warm against Hongbin’s and Hongbin was glad the numbness was gone he actually felt kind warmth against his skin that the cold, brutal weather did not offer.

“When did you start this café?” Hongbin asked scanning his eye sparkles around the premises. “Who designed it?” The café had an old cabin feel with all the wood material used for the floors, wall, ceiling and even the furniture. It was the ideal mix of an outdoor house, a comfort of one’s home while keeping everything at a professional level.

Taekwoon sits back, holding back a smile from Hongbin’s child-like curiosity of his hard work and labor. Taekwoon wasn’t a perfectionist but in starting this small business, a wave of OCD suddenly took hold of him noticing every detail in every corner. Flashbacks of how he started this with the support of his family came to him and at how much time he sacrificed to make this as is. Seeing Hongbin marvel at everything truly warms his heart.

“Not so long ago, my family helped me build it. One of my sisters made interior designing her passion and blew out her ideas here.” Taekwoon responded while the other man was still distracted memorizing every detail, every painting hung, every fabric texture used on the sofas and every coaster on each table. “But I thought we were going to talk about you, Hongbin?”

 Hongbin smiled shyly and nervously fidgets with the mug, it was still too hot to sip but considering the weather it wouldn’t take some time too cool down. A story or two would be enough for it to do so. Hongbin started to tell Taekwoon about how he got invited out by his friend, Wonshik, to drink and the tales go on. Hongbin had tons of stories about his times with Wonshik. They practically grew up together and now Wonshik was getting steady with his lover with a new apartment to settle in, he was moving forward with his life. Meanwhile, Hongbin was taking additional classes after graduating from his Photography course while he free lances for exhibits. His professors are quite fond of his works. He’s still active in the campus and continued to stay with Hyuk. Hongbin started to stray away from their original topic but Taekwoon didn’t seem to mind. He seemed as consumed as he was when Hongbin started to talk. Strange.

A few stories later, people started to flock inside the café and Taekwoon had to excuse himself, leaving Hongbin to himself and only half way finished with his coffee. It was incredibly satisfying, every sip continued to tingle Hongbin’s taste buds. He was amazed at how Taekwoon was so knowledgeable with coffee. His coffee was simply magical.

As soon as Hongbin finished his cup, he glances at a busy Taekwoon behind the counter preparing drinks while his employee stayed behind the register this time. He was quite tall with a cheerful personality. He was the exact opposite of his boss. He had colorful pins stuck on his apron which matched his bright character and the wide smiles he gave to every customer he’s encountered. Hongbin finally decides to set his cup down gently and silently leave the café, avoiding Taekwoon’s attention.

“Taekwoonie-ah, someone left money on the table.” Jaehwan said as he handed him the money and Taekwoon smiles as he takes them. “Are you that happy about tips? I’ll get you a whole box of it from the counter if it makes you that happy…” Jaehwan joked. “It’s nothing. Get back to work.” Jaehwan put his hands up in surrender and walks back to his post while Taekwoon pockets the money. He proceeded to wash the mugs and dishes at the sink when he notices a note written on a mug with a black marker. He wondered at who would vandalize his precious white mugs until he read the message out loud.

“Thank you, Taekwoon. Until next time!”

A smiley face was cutely drawn at the end of the note and Taekwoon finds himself smiling at inanimate objects again.

“Just don’t come back hung over again, you idiot.”