One

The Value of Time

"How've you been, Jongin?" The doctor, Yixing asked. Jongin sighed, already preparing the answer he'd given hundreds of times before.

"Fine."

"You can be honest with me; I'm here to help."

"What's there to do? I'm dying" Jongin stated bluntly while sporting a completely stoic expression. He hated these appointments, but it was better than being holed up in a stark white hospital room. Yixing recoiled as if burned, blinking a few times before sputtering out feeble protests. Jongin waited for Yixing to recover so he could hear how much time the meds had bought him. Yixing cleared his throat.

"Good news, Jongin," he encouraged with a small smile that barely showed his dimple. "The new medication seems to be doing wonders. The tumor in your brain seems to be shrinking." He lifted up a few x-rays that showed a human brain, Jongin's brain, with a golf ball size anomaly marring the tissue. "Half a year from now and it may be small enough to be removed." He told Jongin, eyes bright and hopeful. Jongin scoffed; he knew Yixing was sugarcoating the situation.

"You and I both know I won't live long enough to see that day." He said bitterly, standing up and grabbing his keys.

"Wait, Jongin. Our session isn't over; you can't just leave!" Yixing protested. Jongin didn't bother looking back or even acknowledging his remark; he was already out the door.

Jongin approached his rusty red Dodge Charger- his mom had gotten it cheap off Craig's List. It was tarnished and the fabric on some of the seats was torn, but it made him feel cool- like a greaser from the 50's- especially with his leather jacket. He clambered onto the tan seats, settling in behind the wheel, and slamming the door shut with a little excess force. He revved up the engine and sped out of the parking lot.

"Another bull hour of my life wasted." He muttered and turned up the volume dial next to the radio so that it blasted out of the speakers.

-

"Kyungsoo, wake up! We're here." Kyungsoo's mother's voice roused him from his sleep. He groaned, wiping all evidence of his slumber from his eyes. Kyungsoo unbuckled his seat belt, allowing it to whip back into place, and dragged himself from the U-Haul. He stood in front of the truck, arms extended upwards in a lazy stretch and soaked in the house he'd be living in. It was a one-story- an average size, compared to some of the other houses on the block- and painted a soft, sage green color. He nodded to himself; there would be at least one thing good about this move: a pretty house.

Kyungsoo didn't want to move. In fact, he protested with all his might against it. But, his parents felt as though they needed a fresh start, and what power did Kyungsoo have to stop them? More importantly, how was he going to make friends? Kyungsoo wasn't exactly a social boy, and forget girlfriends; he was far too shy to even approach the opposite gender.

Kyungsoo sighed and walked to the rear of the U-Haul to bring the first box inside.

-

"Hey, sweetie! How'd the doctor's appointment go?" Jongin's mom asked, wiping her hands on a towel as she exited the kitchen.

"Same as they all do." He replied. His mother sighed.

"Jongin, you can't keep shutting people out. You can't live all your life alone." She tried to reason.

"Why can't I? There's no point when I'm going to die."

"Don't talk to your mother like that, Jongin." His father called from his office down the hall. Jongin rolled his eyes. His mother just brushed off the comment, already too used to his attitude for it to bother her anymore.

"Why don't you take these cookies next door and greet the new neighbors." His mother informed and handed him a tray of sugar cookies. "They have a son. He's about your age, too. Maybe you two could get along."

"Mom...I don't want friends; they'll get attached." Jongin replied, running a hand lazily through his hair. His mother's gaze softened, but she pushed him out of the house anyway. Jongin stumbled down the porch steps and sighed. There was no way to get out of this. He was making his way passed the hedges when he saw a relatively short boy, Kyungsoo, with tousled raven hair carrying what looked to be a heavy box almost effortlessly to the house next door. Jongin hastily ducked behind the bushes and peered through the leaves.

He watched as Kyungsoo struggled to climb the stairs to his house, a few books falling out of the box he was carrying in the process. Kyungsoo set the box down and ruffled his hair in frustration before bending over to pick up the dropped books, giving Jongin a nice view of his . Jongin's face flushed, realizing how creepy he was being and stood up to carry out his mission. He worked his way over to the front door and hesitated. The boy was so perfect with his porcelain skin and slight chubbiness. His full, heart shaped, rosy lips and the adorable look of frustration he had painted on his features. He was painfully alluring.

How could he approach such a captivating boy?

Jongin zoned out, picturing several failed scenarios where Kyungsoo ended up being allergic to gluten or refusing the cookies and slamming the door in his face. Jongin stood there, contemplating on whether he should knock on the door or leave the cookies on the porch, when the door opened, revealing a shocked and slightly confused looking Kyungsoo.

"Hello." Kyungsoo greeted.

'Even his voice is beautiful.' Jongin thought, beginning to get flustered.

"H-hey." He replied, drinking in the image of the lovely boy in front of him. "These are for you. My mom had me bring them." Jongin informed, lifting the tray of cookies slightly for emphasis.

"Oh, thanks. I'm Kyungsoo by the way." He informed, reaching over to take a sugar cookie.

"Jongin." He replied, eyes transfixed on Kyungsoo's larger deep brown ones. Kyungsoo, eager to eat the sweet treat, gingerly held the cookie before bringing it close to his mouth. Kyungsoo watched in horror as the top part of the pastry broke in half when it reached his teeth, falling out of his hand and crumbling on the wooden floor. Both of the boys stood frozen, staring at the fallen sugar cookie.

"Five second rule?" Jongin offered.

"It's over. The cookie has died." Kyungsoo whispered sadly. Jongin handed him the whole tray of cookies.

"You do realize that they were all for you, right?" Jongin asked. Kyungsoo's expression brightened considerably.

"I didn't notice; I was too busy trying to eat one." He revealed, laughing lightly. Jongin's face flushed a soft pink at the sound.

"Well, thank you for the cookies." Kyungsoo said, flashing a dazzling, heart-shaped smile in Jongin's direction. Jongin felt like he could die happy just looking at it.

"Y-yeah, no problem." Jongin stuttered in reply.

"It was nice meeting you. I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other now." Kyungsoo informed, making his way back to the door.

"Yeah." Jongin agreed and stood there, like an idiot, until Kyungsoo went inside and shut the door. Jongin spun on his heel and hit himself on the forehead.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid!" He chastised himself while making his way off the property slowly. Kyungsoo snickered from his spot behind his window.

'Life's about to get more interesting.' He thought.

And he was right.

-

Haha ha ha... this is 1300 words of trash... I should write at least 200 more...also this is the product of writing fanfiction at 1:30 AM. I should sleep...

Thanks for reading it anyway! Please leave feedback and vote if you deem it worthy.

(Will probably re-write this when I have come back to my senses)

-sereneBedlam