Helium

Helium

 

“I’m…I’m sorry for interfering like this, Siwon.” Han Geng looked down into the cup of steaming cocoa in his hands. Both he and his heart jolted when Siwon stretched an arm around his shoulders, serving as a warm blanket of protection.
 
“It’s okay Geng…there’s a crazy snowstorm outside. Roads just closed, and you happened to be around the area. Besides, it’s not like you haven’t stayed over before.” Han Geng prevented himself from fluttering his eyes shut at the sound of his voice swirling in his head. He gripped the cup tighter in his hands, almost burning skin in the attempt to stop thinking of the latter’s body pressed up against the side of his own.
 
Han Geng still remembered when he attempted to squash down the first appearances of a crush as soon as they showed. He didn’t want any of these feelings towards his best friend. From his past experiences, someone was only going to get hurt. Though it seemed like the harder he tried ignoring them, the harder he gave into them.
 
Everything Siwon did sent him into a flurry of emotions. He could feel his heart clench every time a dimpled smile appeared on Siwon’s face, or when his hand came down on his shoulder or around his waist. 
 
“Hyung, you’re too tense.” He felt Siwon’s hand move in soothing circles near his neck, sending a flutter go through his chest. Han Geng forced himself to set down the cup of cocoa down on to a nearby table, ignoring the slight tremble. He turned towards his bright smile, a smile of his own automatically spreading across his face.
 
“Life’s just been stressful, Siwon.” Han Geng sighed, leaning slightly into his touch.
 
A thought seemed to strike Siwon at that moment as an expression of sudden realization showed. He smiled again and pulled away, running up the stairs.
 
A minute later, he came down with two blue balloons, holding one out to Han Geng. He returned to his original seat next to him, pointing a finger at the balloon above his head.
 
“They’re filled with helium. I was supposed to bring them over to a friend’s party today, but it got canceled because of the weather.” He explained, bringing the balloon down. As if on cue, wind howled outside, branches scraping gently on a window. Han Geng shivered and moved closer to him, bringing his own balloon down.
 
“What do you want me to do with it?” He asked, turning the balloon over in his hands. Siwon simply untied the balloon, brought it to his lips, inhaled, and turned to grin at him.
 
“Why is life so stressful, hyung?” Han Geng snorted at his high-pitched voice, starting to untie his own balloon. Siwon laughed, though the sound that came out was extremely different from his usual deep voice.
 
“It makes things less serious. Now tell me why, Geng.” Han Geng pressed the opening of the balloon to his lips and breathed in, looking at Siwon.
 
“Oh, the usual,” They both chuckled at their strange voices before Han Geng continued. “Work has been stressful. Friends are being annoying…life in general pretty much right now.”
 
“Tell me more.”
 
“Ah, well,” Han Geng shrugged. “It sometimes feels like my friends don’t even care about me. They say they do, but they completely forget what they said the next day.”
 
Siwon took the balloon and inhaled again, his voice coming out squeakier and higher than before.
 
“But I care about you.” Siwon said innocently. Han Geng laughed, the sound foreign to his ears.
 
“Well…you do…they don’t.”
 
“But sometimes one person is enough, right?” He argued. Han Geng stayed silent for a long time before breathing in more helium.
 
“Sometimes.” 
 
Han Geng felt Siwon staring at him, making his heart beat just a little faster and color rush to his cheeks. He drew in a quick breath when Siwon’s arm s around his waist from behind, pulling him flush against him.
 
“You’re my best friend, Han Geng.” It was almost hard to take him seriously, but his facial expressions were enough to show him that he wasn’t joking. Han Geng managed a nod and a swallow.
 
“Then that should be enough. Because I won’t stop caring for you, even if you think no one does. I’ll always be there, Geng.” His voice was slowly returning back to normal, but neither of them seemed to notice. Han Geng pulled away, laughing nervously.
 
“How would you know Siwon?” 
 
“Because I love you.” Han Geng tensed, looking away, forcing himself to take a deep breath and to smile a little before looking back at him.
 
“I…I know.” Han Geng moved to stand up, but Siwon reached out to grab his arm, the balloon pinched between his two fingers.
 
“I mean it, Geng. I do love you.” He felt his chest constrict at his words, fooling him into false hope. However, his real voice was starting to show up more and more, making it even harder not to believe him.
 
“I do too Siwon. You’re a great friend.” He stuttered out nervously, standing from the couch. Siwon mirrored his movements, fiddling with the balloon in his hands.
 
“No, Geng. I…it’s more than that.” Siwon admitted quietly, the helium gone from his voice. Han Geng did a double take, staring at him in disbelief. His heart swelled, preventing him from speaking. Siwon took one look at him and smiled uncomfortably, looking away and back at him.
 
“I don’t…it’s not…I…I love you, Geng.” Han Geng felt light-headed. This wasn’t happening at all. It couldn’t be…it was too good to be true. He opened his mouth and closed it again, scared that this was all just some crazy dream too delicate to be bothered.
 
“I’m sorry…look I’ll just go and – Mmph…!” Han Geng leaned forward and gently kissed him, feeling Siwon tense underneath his touch. Han Geng quickly pulled away, watching his confused face. He blinked at him, opening his mouth and closing it again.
 
“I…you…you…taste like…helium.” Siwon said stupidly. Han Geng smiled, feeling the heat rush up into his face.
 
“…Why?” Siwon asked quietly, after regaining his senses. Han Geng lifted the balloon to his mouth and inhaled deeply, pulling it away a moment after to stare at him.
 
“I love you too.” Siwon broke into a smile at his voice and went over to slip his hands around Han Geng’s waist, never failing to make his heart flutter. He felt his heart swell even further when Siwon leaned forward slightly to kiss him, slower and more drawn out than before. 
 
He pulled away and moved his hands to Han Geng’s neck, staring at him.
 
“Say it again.” Han Geng blinked at him, dizzy at the sudden closeness.
 
“I…I love you too.” He said unsurely. Siwon smiled, pleased that his voice wasn’t affected by helium before bending slightly for another kiss.
 
For the rest of the night, the weather remained harsh and cold, the snowstorm unrelenting. However, Han Geng stayed inside Siwon’s home, warm and comfortable in his arms.