Pride

Corrupted Destiny

RIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

Chanyeol pressed his alarm as he woke up from his bed. The month is February, and Chanyeol is so excited at this day.

Because this day will be his first day in his work.

He rushed in his family’s table. Once her mom prepared the food, they happily ate it.

Chanyeol hurriedly wore his clothes as he walked away from their house.

“Bye Chanyeol!” her mom said.

“Bye mom!” he said.

Chanyeol hurriedly called out a taxi. He told the taxi driver where he would go as he entered the vehicle. He was really excited. Even though he’s still on the taxi, he could feel his heart racing fast. It is his first day working as an engineer, and he still can’t imagine the years his parents worked hard for this, and he could now build his own life, and his future family. He could see tall buildings everywhere, the products of engineering.

At last here is it, SM, the place where he would work.

He get some money on his pocket, gave it to the taxi driver, and he went off.

“Finally, my very first job.” he said.

“Watch out!”

“Wha—“

BANG!

“Ow, my head.” Chanyeol said as he finds who the hell in the world would hit him hardly.

He feels his head shaking a little bit. He rubbed his eyes to remove some dirt. Finally he could see that person.

Chanyeol looked at the surroundings. Flat-tired bike. lots of boxes. It’s just Baekhyun, Chanyeol’s black eyed-haired best friend, wearing red sweaters and blue ripped jeans.

“Oh sorry Chanyeol. I didn’t mean to hurt you and rip your clothes.” Baekhyun said.

“Its okay, Baek. Its okay.” he replied.

“It’s a shame that I’ve messed your clothes on your first day of your job. Excuse me.” Baekhyun said.

“Hey, is that ‘Chanyeol’?”

“He’s weird. His dress is so messed.”

“Hey who said that?” Baekhyun aggressively shouted, like he wants to have a fight.

“It’s just us, losers.” A voice said as three men approached them.

“Who are you?” Chanyeol said.

“Why would I tell you my name, huh Chanyeol?” the man said.

“How did you know my name?” Chanyeol asked.

“They said that this ‘Chanyeol’ is a great engineer, but it seems like you can’t even clean your clothes.” the man said as they all laughed.

“What? How dare you say that thing to my friend?”

“Why, what would you do? Hit me while you ride in your bike? As if you could drive well.”

“Stop Baekhyun. Just forget about them.”

“The engineer who can’t clean his clothes is right. Just sit there like a puppy who just broke his legs and don’t do anything. I’m the best here and you can’t do anything to alter it because you are losers.” The man said as his eyes suddenly blinked in purple color, with a letter “P” in it. Then the three went away.

“Have you seen it, Baek?” Chanyeol terribly asked while Baekhyun could be seen getting something from his boxes.

“Pride.” Baekhyun said as he removes something in his eyes. Black contact lens. Now Chanyeol could see his dark green irises.

“Baek, what happened to your eyes?” Chanyeol curiously asked.

“I’ll tell you once I returned.” Baekhyun said as he hurriedly rushed to the three men, while holding a knife.

“Baekhyun, Wait!” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun rushed to follow the three men. After locating those men, he grabbed their leader and throws him in a dark alley. The other two men quickly ran to help their leader, but they are quickly disposed of by Baekhyun. He threatens their leader by pointing him with a knife directly on his neck.

“Where is Pride?” Baekhyun angrily asked.

“What?” the man curiously asked.

Baekhyun punched his stomach. The man shouted in pain.

“Now tell me! Where is Pride?” Baekhyun angrily asked, the second time.

“Are you crazy? Pride is not a pers—“ the man answered.

Baekhyun kicked his crotch. The man screamed loudly, enough for Chanyeol to hear it.

“Now tell me for the third time. Where is Pride?!”

“Even if I know who that ‘Pride’ is, I won’t tell you, monster.”

Baekhyun was about to hit him again but someone just interrupted at the nick of time.

“Stop!” Chanyeol commanded, while he pants due to exhaustion.

“You don’t understand, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said.

“I thought you’d be the one who would be badly hurt. But since I’m here, just stop Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said, while still panting.

“You really don’t understand. This is really a critical situation. If you won’t stop talking—“

“Zelo? Is that you?” a female voice said.

Baekhyun rushed directly to the female as he covers with his left hand while pointing the knife directly at the neck.

“No, not her.” The man said.

“Baek, stop. You became so exaggerated.” Chanyeol commanded.

“Where is Pride?”

“Wait, what?” Chanyeol asked curiously.

“At the cave south of the town.” The man said.

Baekhyun released the woman as she ran towards the man.

“I don’t understand. What’s happening?” Chanyeol curiously asked as he rubbed his head.

“Follow me.” Baekhyun commanded.

“How would I know if you won’t hurt me?” Chanyeol asked, terrified.

“Do you trust me?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yes. I do.”

“Then, you’ll be safe.”

­­The two hurriedly ran to his bike. After repairing it they take on their helmets and ride to north east.

“But the man said that person is on the south.” Chanyeol curiously said, unknown to him if he’s telling the correct information.

“First. Pride isn’t a person. He’s a spirit. Second. Trust me. Okay?” Baekhyun asked.

“A spirit?” Chanyeol curiously asked.

“Just trust me. Okay?” Baekhyun repeated.

“Okay—“

Chanyeol hasn’t finished speaking when his dark-green eyed best friend speeds up his motorcycle, interrupting him. Together, they rode swiftly, passing every vehicle that they encounter, even riding on top or passing under a truck. Chanyeol is trembling. He pleaded to Baekhyun to slow down, but Baekhyun won’t. Probably he can’t hear him, or Baekhyun doesn’t want to do what he wanted and rode faster.

Then, they stopped in a forest.

“What are we doing here?” Chanyeol, terrified yet curious, asked.

“Follow me.”

Chanyeol, though still curious and terrified of what the hell is happening, followed him.

“Hey Baek, what happened to your eyes?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“Who is Pride?”

“I’ll tell you later.”

“Where are we going?”

“You’ll know later.”

“Come on. Tell me.”

“Just. Shut. Your. Mouth.”

“Okay.” Chanyeol said, softly.

The path that they are walking is so dim. The sun is falling and they haven’t gone yet to their destination. Chanyeol got chills. Where would I and Baekhyun go? he thought.

“Finally, were here.” Baekhyun happily said.

“Nice.” Chanyeol said, though he doesn’t know where exactly they are. He only sees a large circle covered with trees on its side. In the middle there is a stone with a flat top, preferably possible they could sit on top of it.

“Now please tell me, where are we?”

“Wait, I’ll just call my master.”

“Okay.”

Baekhyun breathe heavily, and he shouted, happily:

“Master Hoseok! We are here!”

“Wait. Who?”

Suddenly, bright lights begin to appear at the rock and it forms a sphere. It begins to shine brightly that they even need to cover their eyes to prevent from blindness. After the bright light disappeared, a man, wearing a white tuxedo with black bowtie appeared sitting on the rock.

“Hey master, you look like a waiter. Why do you dress like that?” Baekhyun asked while silently laughing.

“Don’t ask why.” Hoseok said, in a monotonous tone.

Suddenly the man noticed Chanyeol.

“Oh hey, seems like you bringed someone here.”

“Master, it’s brought.”

“I don’t care to language. I’m a hundred year old man and I still don’t get everyone’s language. Anyway, who are you?”

“I-I’m Chanyeol.”

“Hi Chanyeol.”

“Master, could you explain to him what is happening right now?”

“Oh sure. Why not?”

“S-sir Hoseok?”

“Yes, what is it?”

“Are you really a hundred year old man?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Then why do you look like a twenty year old man?”

“I’m a spirit.”

“What?”

“Haven’t Baekhyun told you that thing.”

“Master, I told you. You would explain to him what is happening.”

“Oh okay. Come here Chanyeol. I’ll explain to you.”

Chanyeol come closer, though still curious. Baekhyun followed.

“Long ago, there is a girl who is very angry to the world. She’s very depressed that she badly needs someone to talk. So she ripped her soul into seven and those became the seven corrupted sins, having Envy as their leader. Those seven spirits betrayed the girl and killed her. I, together with my friend, RapMon, created BTS, a group created to fight those seven spirits. When we battle the spirits, excluding Envy, we were winning. But when Envy shows up, I tried to battle him on one on one. I lose as he single handedly slaughtered all of my friends. In rage, I cast a spell to lock all of us in a gate forever, until one day this boy showed up and opened the gate. Now I’m currently teaching him on how to fight those spirits that he released, but I think you could handle a spirit now.”

“Really?”

“Yes. But only Sloth.”

“What? The weakest?”

“Why? At least you could banish him.”

“No way. I’ll show you that I will defeat and banish a spirit.”

“Are you sure?”

“I know where Pride is.”

“Wait. Are you kidding me? You can’t handle Pride. He’s too dangerous.”

“I could defeat and banish him.”

“No you can’t.”

“I can.”

“Uh, Baekhyun. I think your master’s right.”

“No he’s not. I’ll prove it. Both of you. I’ll return here with the news that Pride is gone.” He said as he left them.

“Baekhyun, wait!”

“Baekhyun, as your master, come back here.”

“Dang it. He left.”

“Follow him Chanyeol. There’s no way he could beat him alone.”

“I couldn’t fight a spirit.”

“Don’t worry. You could be a distraction while Baekhyun delivers the attack.”

“How would I survive if I’ll be the distraction?”

“Are you a fast runner?”

“Maybe. It depends on a person’s perspective.”

“Could you dodge a tennis ball when it is thrown to you?”

“Probably when it isn’t fast enough.”

“Then you’ll live. Pride’s weakness is indeed his attitude, pride. He doesn’t deliver fast but weak attacks. It doesn’t make him prideful according to him. He always sends slow but strong attacks that can vaporize both a person’s body and soul, completely and utterly. That’s why we chose Jin to battle him. He might be weak but his weapon in combat is his speed. He could deliver weak but fast attacks and he could easily dodge even a bullet in a split second due to his fast reflexes. Also, Pride’s attack only travels in a straight line, and Jin is best not by his speed but by his agility.”

“Then why did all of you died?”

“Envy is the reason. He’s stronger even when the other six spirits are combined. Also he doesn’t attack us on groups, instead one on one. But wait, it doesn’t matter now. Hurry before Baekhyun reached Pride. He isn’t as fast as Jin, though he could think of a way on how he could reach there as soon as possible. Hurry and prevent him or assist him, or else your friend would die.”

“Okay.” Chanyeol said as he left.

He ran as fast as he could, but he exhausted quickly. Suddenly, he remembered a shortcut on their place that his father told him when he was young. There is a cave hidden in the largest tree in the forest north-east of their town. He find the tree, though the place is dim, he found it, luckily. The tree is so large that he can’t even fully hug it. He tried to open the tree and a ladder appeared in his eyes. He get a stick, light it up and he went down. He ran in the underground passage, though he limited his speed. He even rested if he feels exhaustion. He can’t be exhausted once he got there, or else he couldn’t help but be a helpless idiot.

Finally he got there.

He saw a purple spirit, outlined with black on some of his body parts. His eyes were purple-black. That could be Pride.

The spirit channels a large ball made of purple flames. Chanyeol could see that the spirit is aiming at his friend, Baekhyun, who is now on complete defense mode, though he could be seen striving hardly in his situation. Chanyeol thought. What if that ball hit Baekhyun while on that state? Would the ball explode and destroy his shield, rendering him defenseless? Or would the ball not only destroy the shield but also pass through it, injuring him. He get out of his hiding place and confronted the spirit.

“Hey you! The purple one who’s floating.” Chanyeol shouted, interrupting the spirit while he channels his attack.

“What?” the spirit said.

“Are you ‘Pride’?” Chanyeol asked.

“Yes I am, the Mighty Pride, the strongest spirit that has been created. Not even Envy, our leader who considers himself ‘the strongest’ and Wrath, our war freak spirit who also considers himself ‘the strongest’ because he’s just a freak in terms of war, can stop me when I show my full powers.”

“Are you sure? I think not.”

“What do you mean?”

“Chanyeol! Run!” Baekhyun shouted.

“I think that you are the weakest among them.”

“How could you say that to me? I’m the Mighty Pride.”

“Nope, you aren’t. I think Sloth is better than you.”

“What? That Sloth? Are you mocking the strongest spirit?”

“Nope. I’m telling the truth.”

“What?”

“Chanyeol! Run before it’s too late.”

“I will show you that I’m the greatest spirit.”

“Bring it on.”

Pride channels a larger ball of flames, much larger than the one he first saw. Pride aimed at it to him but since the ball is large and slow, Chanyeol effortlessly dodged the attack.

“Hah. Is that the best you could do?”

Pride channeled again but this time, he closed his eyes and he generated a small ball of purple lightning in his hand while it is raised upwards. He could feel some static electricity in his place.

“Chanyeol run! You can’t dodge that lightning easily.

Chanyeol rapidly run into another location. Since Pride’s eyes are closed, he didn’t aimed at Chanyeol instead he aimed at his place a while ago. Pride opened his eyes, happy because he couldn’t see that man anymore, but was angry because he just moved to another place.

“I thought you’re the greatest. But it seems that you can’t even aim properly.

“I’ll show you why I’m called the greatest.”

Pride channeled again, this time, he created a larger ball compared to the other two of purple lightning and flames rapidly. Before he could aim it to Chanyeol, Baekhyun jumped and stabbed him at the back.

“Argh!”

“It looks like you turned the tides of battle to our favor.” Baekhyun said.

“I might, indeed.” Chanyeol replied.

“So, do you wanna help me banish him?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Then let’s do this.”

Chanyeol distracted Pride while Baekhyun attacks him. When Baekhyun is in danger, Chanyeol diverts his attention to him, sometimes teasing and mocking him. When Chanyeol is in danger, Baekhyun attacks him mostly on his back, though he also attacks him on some strategic areas, but he does it in seldom. Finally, Pride was enraged and he taunted.

“You’ve mocked me so hard. Now I would show to you my true powers.”

Immediately, without channeling some magic, he casted and aimed a beam of both purple flames and lightning directly to the two. Baekhyun rushed to protect Chanyeol, though it’s difficult but he succeded.

“Are you okay, Chanyeol?”

“Yes.”

“Are you hurt?”

“No.”

“Are you sure? It’s okay if you would tell me the truth.”

“I’m fine, but those attacks that he recently casted were so devastating. It was like life against life.”

“That’s it.”

“What?”

“Those attacks. They might be devastating and he casted it rapidly, but it costs a lot of mana. He’ll be tired in no time.”

He is indeed correct. After some attacks, Pride falls to the ground, trying to recover from his attacks.

“He’s weak.”

“Now for my counterattack. Reckoning.”

In an instant, Baekhyun’s hand appeared to have a dark-green blade on top of it. Then he attacks Pride using his hand-blade almost in Mach speed, hitting him 5, 6, 7, or possibly higher than 10. But when he tried to calculate it again, the result is 14.

Eitherway, Pride collapses, as Baekhyun prepares to banish him.

“Isn’t he killed by that attack?”

“Spirits don’t die. You need to banish them properly in order for them to disappear forever.”

“Oh, okay.”

“Are you ready?”

“I’m tired. Please banish me immediately.”

Baekhyun breathes heavily while his eyes are closed. Then he opened his eyes, which are now glowing in bright green, he shouted.

“Banishment.”

In a second, a giant beam of white light coming from above hit Pride. It didn’t hurt Chanyeol or Baekhyun, or it doesn’t leave a crater, though Pride disappeared.

“Is it over?”

“Yes. It is.”

“What happened when spirits are banished?”

“Their magic traces will vanish.”

“Does that mean?”

“Yes. That man was afflicted by Pride’s magic. He would return to normal sooner or later.”

“So what would you do know?

“I sense some traces of Sloth a while ago. I’ll try to track him.”

“Be careful.”

“Don’t worry. Sloth is easier to battle than Pride. It isn’t much trouble. Anyway, thanks for helping me.”

“No problem. Anytime you’ll need me. I’ll be here for you.”

“Thanks.”