Best Day Ever

Love or Lust

I’m on my way to our school’s gate while smiling from ear to ear when I noticed a girl was walking beside me. I was so shocked and nervous at the same time. It was Jane. She looked at me and smiled. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be going to the mall with Pie” I finally said. She clung on to my arm and said “I was but then I saw you walking alone. I hate to see you alone”. “Don’t worry about me. It’s still early. No one will kidnap me in broad daylight” I chuckled and pointed to the sun. It’s just 3 in the afternoon. “Look around you, there’s a lot of kidnappers looking at you right now” Jane said still looking at me. I looked around and saw nothing. No one is staring at me or at her. “What are you talking about? Everyone is minding their own business.” I said at her and stared with my confused expression. “Okay. Let me accompany you. You’re going to take the bus right? C’mon.” she said pulling my arm. I guess I don’t have a choice. It’s not like something’s going to happen to me right?

               We are now getting nearer the bus stop when she suddenly speaks “Are you going to the party this Saturday?” “Yes, and I think everyone is coming. It’s going to be our Christmas party.” I answered her, my eyes till on the road. “Great I’ll see you then.” She removed her hands around my arm. I hurriedly run towards the bus which is about to leave. I hopped inside and looked for an empty seat. I saw one and sat beside a girl wearing a cap and shades. This girl looks familiar. I lowered my head and tried to look at her but I can’t see her face. She moved her head towards the window. I guess I don’t know her. I looked at the front and smiled. I can’t resist it. What happened earlier made me smile.

               I heard my phone ring and answered it, “Hello Aunt in”. Aunt In (on the other line) said “Are you on your way home? I’ll be going to come home very late tonight. Don’t wait for me.” “Okay Aunt In. Don’t worry about me. Just enjoy the night. Take care.” I think Aunt In will be joining her workmates, I can hear them singing very laud. So, I guess I can go somewhere else I don’t wanna stay at home alone. “So I where can I spend my time? Hmmm?” I was talking to myself unconsciously when someone taps on my shoulder. I turned my attention to the owner of the hand “I can accompany you, if you want to.” The girl beside me said. To my surprise, it was ….. “Aha! So that’s why Jane was with me earlier. And you were very suspicious avoiding me. If that was other people they would look at the person beside them especially if it was me.” I said to the girl at my side. She just giggled as a response. “Pie, what are you doing here? And why didn’t you talk to me earlier. We were sitting beside each other for 15 minutes now.” My voice was a little grumpy and I pouted to make it more convincing. “What’s with the pouty face, skinny Superman. And don’t be boastful; no one would want to look at the person beside them if that person was smiling the whole time without any reason. You look so happy did something happen between you and Jane? I saw her clinging at your arm on your way here.” She said while wiggling her eyebrows teasingly. Oh no she saw me smiling I have to change our topic. My brain cells are working double-time to find any topic.  “Hey, I asked a question first. So why didn’t you talked to me earlier?” C’mon brain you do better than that. “I just don’t want to disturb you. You were spacing-out.” She answered me sincerely. Good thing she didn’t ask me again. “I see.” I responded really short. C’mon brain, think before she ask me again. “So did something good happen to you? Why were you smiling?” she asked me. Great job brain cells you are all fired. Okay calm yourself. “I was excited about the party. I was thinking if we could make that party as our Class Christmas party since everyone’s coming”. Phew! Okay brain cells you’re hired again. “That’s a great idea. Yes, we can have some exchange gifts and games too.” She excitedly agreed to me and grabbed my arm. While I just smile thinking that I already diverted her attention. “Okay so we have to plan now.” Great I can ask her out. We can eat dinner somewhere. Somewhere quiet where no one can disturb us. Wait! It’s not a date guys. We’re just going to talk about the party. “Sure. So do you want to go somewhere? Any place in mind?” I asked her trying to hide the excitement in my voice. “Yes, let’s go to a café. Ooooohhhh! This is going to be great!” I shut with my hand. She was shouting inside the bus and everyone was staring at us. This girl is really funny.

 

               We are on our way on her favorite café.  We walked side by side but didn’t talk with each other. It was very quiet. I took a glimpse of her every now and then. This is the best day of my life. When we reached our destination and I read the name of the café “I love you café?”. What a weird name. “Yes I love you, simple but magical. If you hear it from someone you love, it would give you butterflies in your stomach up to your heart. I love you” She put both of her hands on her chest where her heart is while closing her eyes and smile. “I love you too.” I whispered. Wait what did I say? I wish she didn’t hear it. Looks like she’s deep into her thoughts. “Did someone say that to you before?” I asked her hoping she would say no. “Yes” she answered me eyes still closed. Great she’s taken already I faced slap myself in my mind. “But no one can give me the butterfly in my stomach feeling ever.” She added. I wanna dance of joy right now.  Before I groove here I asked her to go inside.

 

               When we went inside, we sat on a table for two. The place is crowded, a good sign that they serve good food and beverages here. The place is really relaxing. It’s an indoor-garden-like place. Plants are around you. They say that green would relax your eyes. There is a small stage too and someone is fixing the sound which means there will be a live performance. Wow! Did I mention I love music? Back in high school, I was in a band. We were just playing around and not into gigs. But whenever there’s a party we often get invitation from our friends. We can’t say no, they are our friends. Even if I know I don’t like the crowd, I just can’t stand their puppy eyes. So here we are, sitting at a corner of the café, I called the waiter to get our order. “Pie, what do you want?” I asked her. She ordered “one slice of chocolate cake and water”.“ Well that was my order too. Please make it two slices of chocolate cake and two glass of water. Thank you.” I said to the waiter who was obviously staring at Pie while Pie was playing with her phone. This guy is pissing me off. “Uhm? Mister. Did you get our order?” I asked him with my you-could-go-now stare. He walked away and never looked backed. I guess my gaze was scary.  Few minutes later, the waiter came back with our order and walked away but had a glimpse of Pie who’s still busy with her phone. “Let’s eat” I said to her smiling. She looked at me and said “I texted our classmates and they agreed on your idea. And they wanted to have an exchange gift too.” She said while having small bites of her cake. “We need to think of games that we could play” she added.

               While we were talking about the different kinds of games, I felt a tap on my back “Hey Kim, I thought your going home.”  To my surprise it was Aunt In. I stood up and greeted her. I introduce Pie to her and she gave me that good-choice look while wiggling her eyebrows. I shook my head telling her no. I can sense that Pie was looking at us. “Hey! I actually came by here to ask you a favor” Aunt In whispered to me. “You were in a band before right? And you can sing and play the guitar?” she asked me while holding my arm. I nodded and said “I can sing a little.” I don’t like where this is going. I really want to run right now but I can’t Aunt In is holding my arm. And besides it’s embarrassing, Pie is here. “My friend own this place and the performer will be a little late. So can you perform today? Maybe just one song” there she said it. I looked at her and then to Pie. I guess I can’t run away from here. I just nodded and gave her my fake smile. “Pie, is it okay if I’ll just borrow Kim from you for a while?” Aunt In asked permission from Pie. Pie nodded and said that it’s fine.

I walked at the back stage, grabbed a guitar and think of something to play. This is it. Aunt In introduce me to the crowd “We have a new performer today. I hope you’d like her.” I stepped on the stage and I fixed the mic then looked around. Gosh! This place is full. I wish I won’t embarrass myself. “Good evening everybody. I’m not that good but I wish you could enjoy the music.” I started playing the guitar, closed my eyes then sang.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TynCj-C_160  (I suggest playing the video before you continue reading)

 

After the last note, I heard a loud applause. Some are yelling “we want more. One more please”. I opened my eyes and saw Pie was smiling from ear to ear while clapping her hand. She was cheering for more too. God Pie I would love to do it for you. I turned my gaze to Aunt In as if I was asking if I could do one more and she nodded. I started playing again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoOeVAmscs  (I suggest playing the video while reading)

 

When the day is said and done
and in the middle of the night and you're fast asleep, my love.
Stay awake looking at your beauty
Telling myself I'm the luckiest man alive.
Cause so many times I was certain you was gonna walk out of my life (life)
Why you take such a hold of me girl
When I'm still trying to get my act right.

What is the reason, when you really could have any man you want
I don't see what I have to offer
I should've been a season, guess you could see I had potential
Do you know you're my miracle? (oh yeah)

I'm like a statue, stuck staring right at you
Got me frozen in my tracks
So amazed how you take me back
Each and every time our love collapsed
Statue, stuck staring right at you
So when I'm lost for words
Every time I disappoint you
It's just cause I can't believe that you're so beautiful (Stuck like a statue)
Don't wanna lose you, no (Stuck like a statue)

Ask myself why are you even with me
After all the sh*t I put you through
Why did you make your heart song with me
It's like you're living in an igloo
But baby your love is so warm it makes my shield melt down (down)
And every time we both at war
You make me come around (woah)

               This time I turned my gaze to Pie. I looked at her as If I was saying that this song is for you. Then I continued singing.

What is the reason, when you really could have any man you want,
I don't see what I have to offer
I should've been a season, guess you could see I had potential
Do you know you're my miracle? (ohhhhh)

I'm like a statue, stuck staring right at you
Got me frozen in my tracks
So amazed how you take me back
Each and every time our love collapsed
Statue, stuck staring right at you (yeah yeah)
So when I'm lost for words
Every time I disappoint you
It's just cause I can't believe that you're so beautiful. (Stuck like a statue)
Don't wanna lose you, no (Stuck like a statue)
And you're so beautiful (Stuck like a statue)
Don't wanna lose you, never (Stuck like a statue)

ohhhh woahh no

Every single day of my life I thank my lucky stars
God really had to spend extra time, when he sculpted your heart
Cause there's no explanation, can't solve the equation
It's like you love me more than I love myself

I'm like a statue, stuck staring right at you girl
Got me frozen in my tracks
So amazed how you take me back
Each and every time our love collapsed
Statue, stuck staring right at you
So when I'm lost for words (statue woah)
Every time I disappoint you
(baby you're my statue)It's just cause I can't believe that you're so beautiful ( Girl You are the reason)
Stuck like a statue (The reason for living)
Don't wanna lose you, no. (The reason for breathing)
Stuck like a statue (You're so beautiful)
And you're so beautiful. (And I want you to feel it)
Stuck like a statue (Cause so bad I mean it)
Don't wanna lose you, no. (You're the reason for breathing)
Stuck like a statue (You're so beautiful yeah yeah yeah)

When the day is said and done
And in the middle of the night you're fast asleep, my love...

I'm the luckiest man alive.


(cover by: Kaye Cal )

Lil Eddie - Statue Lyrics by MetroLyrics)

               I’m still looking at Pie. And I can see that she’s staring at me too. I feel like we are the only ones here in our own world. I was taken back to reality by a loud applause. “Thank you everybody. You were a great crowd.” I stepped down the stage and went back to Aunt In. “You were wonderful. My friend said that you and Pie’s order is on the house.” She greeted me and hugged me. I went back to my sit and Pie was staring at me smiling. She reached for my right hand and said “You’re really good. You should sing on our party”. Her hands are really warm but now I’m in trouble. “Uhm? I don’t know. Singing in front of other people really scares me.” I looked down so that I won’t see her puppy eyes. “C’mon. It’s just us. You should think about it.” I nodded still not looking at her. “Hey. Are you alright?” she asked me and squeezed my hand. “Yes. I’m fine. Thank you for asking.” “Hey. Look at me. You were really awesome back there. Too great that I think I’m going to die” I looked at her and saw her smiling while looking around. My heart started to act weird. It’s beating faster than usual. That smile. I’m melting. “A lot of girls are killing me right now with their stares; looks like you have a lot of girl fans.” It took me back to reality, I looked around and notice that they were staring at us. Some were waving when they notice that my eyes turned to their direction. “I guess we better go now” she said giggling. I nodded and grabbed my stuff as well as her stuff. She clung around my arm. Oh Pie please stop it. Your touch triggers my unusual heart beat.

               When we reached the bus stop, I can still hear the loud beat of my heart. “Oh that was fun. If you only saw their reactions when I hold on to your arm, it was hilarious.” She said and started laughing. I gave her my confused look. “Okay here’s my ride. I gotta go now. See you tomorrow.” She grabbed her backpack and her books from me then hopped into the bus and waved goodbye to me. I was standing there for a few minutes, still thinking of what she meant by that. I’m really clueless. Never mind, this day was awesome. The best day of my life. Remembering what happened earlier with my heart. I asked myself, am I really losing it? Am I really falling for her?

 

(I don't own any of the videos above. Credits to the owner of the video.)