Finally..maybe..

If you were mine...

 

While Hyukjae’s thumb languishingly caressed Hyoyeon’s cheek, she simply lay as she was, unmoving – her body not betraying the chaos that was going through her mind and heart at the moment.

‘What’s happening? Why does my heart feel like it’s racing? Why am I praying that he doesn’t pull away? Do I really like how it feels? Shouldn’t I stop him… I mean.. we are friends, right? But is this how close friends normally get to each other? Well.. Donghae pulls my hair and pinches my cheek all the time… but… the way it’s making me feel.. is somehow.. not the same… ah is this what they call having butterflies in your stomach? Oh god! Oh god..’

That simple touch from him seemed to create a rumbling of emotions deep within her chest and she was pretty sure that invisible flames were coming off her cheeks.  

 

 

Hyukjae didn’t seem to notice though, as his eyes retained their mesmerized and faraway gaze.

‘Her skin is so soft like a newborn baby.. just as I imagined.. and she really does look the most beautiful when she is flushed and glowing after dancing. So beautiful.. so perfect.. so ….. oh !’

 

He retracted his hand quickly as reality came crashing down on him.

Hyoyeon’s eyes that had fluttered closed sometime in between slowly opened but they thankfully, didn’t seek his own.

 

Knowing that it was all on him to salvage the situation, Hyukjae put on a purposely carefree tone and spoke, “You had something on your cheek! Maybe.. whatever that black thing you girls put on your eyes.”

“Oh..i see.. t..thanks.”

“No problem at all. Come now! It’s getting late so let’s end practice for today!” He walked away first, heading towards the door and calling back, “I’m going to take a quick shower! Meet you at the car in 15 minutes!”

*****************************************************************

It was a feat to their acting abilities that things quickly resumed their normal state. Well, as normal as it could get, as the two desperately tried to brush away the image that kept filling their minds.

However, when it was finally time to say goodnight and separate from each other, they both slumped in relief.

 

Hyukjae had heard that ‘exhaustion and euphoria from accomplishing something important’ had the tendency to mess with your mind, so he was determined to write off the incident as just that.

 

Hyoyeon, on the other hand, wasn’t quite so sure.

She had never been in love before but thinking back on how she had been feeling recently, all signs were pointing towards the possibility that she really was in L.O.V.E.

In love with Hyukjae.

=====================================================================

Luckily, the house was empty when she got in. Her aunt and uncle had a dinner engagement at a neighbour’s so Hyoyeon headed straight for her room – not even bothering to turn the living room lights on.

 

Once inside her bedroom, she tossed her gymbag on the floor and threw herself on the bed - face buried against her pillow.

‘Am I really in love? Is this really what they call being in love?’

She had no past experiences to compare her current situation with…. So she did the only thing she could think of.

 

*Ring Ring*

Her feet tapped nervously on her table as she sat with her feet up.

“Hyoraengiiiiiii”

“Annyeong cous! I take it you’re happy to hear from me?” she giggled slightly.

“Well duh! Ever since you started those dance classes, I never seem to be able to get a hold of you.”

She could picture her eternally baby-faced cousin’s adorable face adorned with an equally adorable pout.

“Yah! Kim Taeyeon, don’t use your aegyo on me!”

“Pfft this is not aegyo, choding. I can’t help it if cuteness exudes from my pores naturally.” However, the confident statement was followed by a loud ajumma laugh telling Hyoyeon that her cousin was joking.

 

“Anyway,” Taeyeon spoke again when she had finally controlled her laughter, “what’s up? Is something bothering you?”

“Wae? Can’t I just call my one and only dearest cousin?” she tried to sound offended while face-palming that Taeyeon knew her so well.

“Yes, you can but it`s usually not at 11 pm at night. So tell me already!”

 

“Well…” Hyoyeon drew out the word, not knowing how to begin. “It’s just… I am in the mood for some of your stories.”

“My stories?”

“I miss talking to you Taeng and I just feel like unwinding to one of your famous stories. You tell them so well. Really!” she cringed internally, hoping Taeyeon would take her bait.

“Ok Hyoyeonnie, I see you’re trying” Taeyeon laughed, “so I’m going to ignore your awkward excuses and humor you. I’m in a chatty mood too. Stupid Kangin oppa made us watch a freaking boxing match on our date and he wouldn’t even let me speak a single word all evening!”

“Oh yes, Kangin oppa. How is he? How are things with the two of you.”

Taeyeon sighed – a long drawn out sigh, causing Hyoyeon’s protective instincts to rush. “Is everything ok?”

“Ok? No Hyoyeonnie, it’s not ok……. It’s absolutely perfect!”

“YAH YOU HAD ME WORRIED THERE!”

Giggles were heard on the other end. “Sorry mom! But oh cous! Really.. I’ve never been happier. I think he’s really it! Y’know.. the one!”

 

Hyoyeon grinned on the other end of the line. This was like killing two birds with one stone. “Tell me more! How do you know that Kangin is the one?”

“Well… it’s hard to explain really.. but it’s the way he makes my heart race with a simple lopsided smile. How I feel like the most loved person even when he simply pats my head.. how he takes care of me and helps me grow.  He makes me feel safe and like I’d be totally satisfied just being by his side for the rest of my life…”

“Wow…” Hyoyeon exhaled slowly, the truth registering within herself loud and clear. 'It's true then... I have fallen for Hyukjae. These feelings are real..'  She realized she was still on the line before getting too carried away and turned her attention back to Taeyeon,“You’re really gone, Taengoo! When’s the wedding?”

“Aigoo! I’ve turned into one of those embarrassing mushygushy girls, haven’t I?”

“It’s ok to be a mushygushy girl, cous! I’m so happy for you!”

“Me too!” Taeyeon giggled for the 10th time and then stopped abruptly, “But when do I get to return those feelings for you, huh? Tell me honeslty, Hyoyeonnie, is there a guy in your life?”

“Eh..? mm…mine… nn..no..”

“Are you being secretive again?”

“Mayb….. Aniii! No way! You know me Taengoo. I’ve never fallen in love.”

“Which is weird, to be honest Hyo. Could it be possible that you have experienced those feelings before but you just shut them down because you’re scared?”

Hyoyeon was silent.. thinking over her cousin’s words.

“Being in love is a wonderful thing, Hyo. And if you feel the way I feel about Kangin oppa then you shouldn’t hide from it. Sometimes, the risk is worth it.”

'Yes.. I think you're right Taengoo. And I won't hide anymore..'

Hyoyeon made a silent promise with herself.

==================================

quick short update. unedited so i might change it later. thanks for reading