Play: Ring of Fire

Ring of Fire

Ring of Fire

Characters

Min Yoongi, a young man

Park Jimin, a young man

Setting

Present, 2015. A one bedroom, single condo

ACT ONE

(Yoongi is lying in his bed continuously reading a note from his now ex-girlfriend.)

Yoongi: (reading the text aloud) “I’ve found someone else so we’re over.” (reading his response) But I need you…our love is not over… (reads her response) I don’t care, I don’t love you anymore, Bye.” (he sighs and throws his phone down) Why does it have to be like this? (he picks up his lighter, lifts the lid and flicks the flame over and over) Because of you, I’m becoming ruined… (a knock comes from the front door) (Yoongi walks slowly to the door and opens it)

Jimin: (he looks at Yoongi nervously) Um…Hi, are you Min Yoongi?

Yoongi: (Yoongi narrows his eyes at the boy) Yeah, why?

Jimin: (he gives a small smile then drops it) I…I need to apologize to you. (pauses and looks terrified) I was dating your girlfriend, but she didn’t tell me she was with you, I promise! I saw her send you a text saying she wanted to break up so I made her explain everything. I figured I owed you the honor of telling you the truth. (he drops to his knees lightly sobbing)

Yoongi: (he runs his hands roughly through his light pink hair) Get up, kid.

Jimin: (looks up at the slightly older male) Oh…Ok. (Jimin gets up) Are you mad? (starts to ramble) I mean, of course you’re mad, who wouldn’t be? You just found out your girlfriend was cheating, once again I’m sor-

Yoongi: (cuts him off) Just stop talking. (rubs his temples in an irritated manner) Just come in. (he turns his back to Jimin and goes back to his spot on the bed)

Jimin: (nods) Alright. (Jimin walks in cautiously following Yoongi. He sits on the wall beside Yoongi’s bed) I know you told me to not to talk, but how are you feeling? If it was hard for me to find out, it must be even harder for you. You can talk to me, you really can.

Yoongi: (picks up his lighter and continues what he was doing earlier) I never said you couldn’t talk, I said to stop then…how I feel? How do you think I feel? It goes round and round, why do I keep coming back. I go down and down, at this point I’m just a fool. Whatever I do, I can’t help it…(he trails off staring into the flame)

Jimin: (he gets up and joins Yoongi on the bed. Jimin closes the lighter and takes it from him, putting it on the bed) I know we don’t know each other, but I will be here for you. I feel responsible but even more than that, I want us to be good friends. (he gives him a big smile)

Yoongi: (he glances at Jimin and gives him a slight smile, secretly grateful to him) Alright Jimin, whatever you say. (chuckles) Here (picks up his cell phone) give me your number.

Jimin: (says his number) You can text me or call me when you want someone to talk to, ok? (he looks at him concerned)

Yoongi: (nods) Sure. I think I’m going to rest now, I’ll text you soon. (Yoongi walks Jimin to the door)

Jimin: (hugs him) Nice to meet you, Yoongi. (Walks away)

Yoongi: (looks around and finds an unmarked container. He pours the liquid inside around his bed) I need you girl, why am I in love alone, why am I hurting alone? I need you girl, why do I keep needing you when I know I’ll get hurt? (picks up phone and texts Jimin) (reading the text aloud) I wanna stop, I don’t want her anymore, but I can’t do this, it . Thank you Jimin for being a bigger person than she could ever be. Goodbye. (Yoongi picks up lighter, entranced by the flame again. (He lights the liquid he put down before and slowly, the flames begin to circle around his bed) All of the things you said are like a mask, it hides the truth and rips me apart. It pierces me, I’m going crazy, I hate this, take it all away. I hate you. (the flames become stronger as Yoongi is still in a trance. (5 minutes later, the door bursts open and yelling is heard)

Jimin: YOONGI! What is going- (he sees the flames and is moritified) Yoongi what are you doing?! (he tries to find a way to get to him)

Yoongi: (is unaware of Jimin’s presence until he hears Jimin calling out to him as he tries to put the fire out with a pot of water) Jimin? (Jimin gets the flame down enough to drag Yoongi out)

Jimin: (breathing hard as they stand outside) I was worried so I came back, I’ll never go again. (he hugs him hard as Yoongi begins to cry)

End of play.