01: Fluttering Feelings

Wake Up, Sleepyhead

[Edit] My sis's fanart link unfortunately expired :c
I can only tell you it depicts the mini couple (taeny) on the cover in a painterly way.

 

 

Chapter 1: Fluttering Feelings



 

Taeyeon can't help it. Her head bobbed up and down as she tried to rewrite her History notes inside the library. She really tried to study before the class, drinking her favorite soda to wake her up, but her body knew it had been running after an all-nighter for a plate due that day, which had been moved to next week due to more important events thus added to her exhausted state, and honestly, all she can think about was her bed and sleeping under the covers while holding her green peas.

She knew she was in a public place and resisted the needed shuteye. Even though it was a library, she was seated in an area where people can eat and talk loudly, an area at the second floor of the building and outside with the trees and the cats and birds and slight drones of whizzing cars on the main road below.

But eventually, she unconsciously closed her eyes and was fixed in her Indian-seated position, head down, hand loosely holding her pen.

By her side sat a chattering woman on her phone. The girl had been there for a while now, settled comfortably on the long table along with a few other strangers around. Like anyone, she resorted the library for her own purpose and used it to talk and study at the same time in her leisure time. She had no connections with Taeyeon whatsoever, and only until the conversing girl felt a weight on her left shoulder did their moment come.

"Tiff? You still there? Hello?" A woman's voice came from the girl's phone.

"Y-Yeah. Still here," Tiffany responded, mildly gazing at the sleepyhead by her side. Her focus turned to the girl's tired eyes and her spread out notes, clearly seeing a pitiful situation on-hand.

"Okay...did something happen? Are you gonna continue or what?"

Tiffany bit her lower lip, undecided whether to push her away or not. She was not used to having a stranger so close in contact with her head sliding down to fit between her shoulder and neck, much less a cute girl at that.

In the end, her caring side won over and Tiffany inwardly sighed, adjusting near the sleepyhead a bit to let her rest more comfortably.

"Hey Jessi?"

"Yeah?" Replied her friend disinterestedly.

"I gotta go. Need to continue my work over here."

"It's alright. Tell me where you left off next time, okay? See you, Tiff."

"Bye," Tiffany smiled over the phone, ended the call and tended to the new girl by her left.

Tiffany hesitantly curled a stray tuft of hair behind Taeyeon's ear, seeing more of her face. Taeyeon had very light eyebrows. She had a small button nose and nicely proportioned lips. Her ears adorned few piercings, and her strawberry blonde hair was tied in a loose bun. Tiffany wondered at first what happened to her to be in this state. And then she saw the long blue tube sticking out of Taeyeon's bulky bag.

Tiffany decided in her mind that Taeyeon was an Art student. Maybe she was judgemental to think of it, having thought before of it because of the ombre tips of her dyed hair, which usually only came from the Art students.

And Tiffany ought to stop the physical attraction growing, because who knows if she's crushing on a freshie. Or a kid genius senior.

Tiffany shook her thoughts and focused back to her real purpose of staying in the place: to work on her progress report.

For a moment, Tiffany thought of positioning Taeyeon on the tabletop gently. She was worried to wake her up, and decided to adjust herself to her slightly poor position, slanting her tablet to her eyes as she looked up readings on credible sources. Sometimes, she distracted herself by peeking at the sleepy head on her side, slightly poking her cheek. Tiffany stopped herself from marvelling again and went to the top of her studying again, a blush apparent on her cheeks. Her left arm went numb as time grew. Slowly, Tiffany too felt the exhaustion in her eyes, despite the hot weather and loud voices. She stopped at a point where polishes were only needed, locked the tablet and then she calmly exhaled, slightly leaning onto Taeyeon's head. Both of their arms were slack, Tiffany's left one under Taeyeon's right, and slowly, very slowly, Tiffany looped the two around, decreasing all space within them.

Tiffany shouldn't be so touchy-feely with a stranger. Somehow though in her mind, there was a trustful Taeyeon that lowered her guard. Besides the fact that she was sleeping right now, Taeyeon is also a student just like her, and must be almost on the same track as her with a different path in the end. The point is, Taeyeon looked to be a fragile child in her eyes, and even if they haven't talked yet or that Tiffany was the only one drinking in the experience, she felt that there was a sense of comfort seeping through, and she ought to be the one to guide her right now as the one awake between the two.

The instincts pulled her to take action. Tiffany closed Taeyeon's notebook, took the pen to rest on top of the notebook and the shuffled papers in between, all with the use of her free hand. She learned halfway the situation that the girl was a heavy sleeper (or just very much exhausted) and so Tiffany freely moved around to Taeyeon's comfort.

When she was done, she checked the time. She spent a little over an hour on the same spot with the same position. Add Taeyeon to this, and Tiffany is surprised to feel pretty alright with this as a person with a strict schedule to herself.

Tiffany had class in 80 minutes. Usually, she would be walking to the food stalls around campus to give herself a treat and then go to the building for the next class but right now, she allowed to extend her time with the girl. She wanted to get to know her and maybe, just maybe, ask her number.

And then Tiffany also napped.

Taeyeon stirred awake due to the vibration coming from her phone inside her pocket. She mindlessly pulled it out to dismiss the alarm, confirmed she had 30 minutes before class and then felt unknown warmth coming to her right.

As soon as she turned to the same side, she stopped halfway, seeing by her peripheral vision a stranger. Tiffany. Her eyes traced the arm locked in place between them to the materials neatly stacked across her and then back to the woman beside her, thinking very poorly of the situation.

Taeyeon was first and foremost alarmed. She actually took a nap in a public place. Second, Taeyeon was confused. She did not know Tiffany, and to wake up seeing a stranger closely snuggled by her side was very confusing. What the hell happened?

In her flustered state, Tiffany slowly opened her half-lidded eyes, left arm unconsciously clinging to Taeyeon's right one, much to Taeyeon's discomfort.

"U-Um, excuse m-me..." Taeyeon started as a whisper, cleared and repeated herself, successfully gaining the attention of Tiffany. She was not used to such a sight and situation in her hands.

Tiffany yawned to her palm, blinking awake.

"Excuse me..." Taeyeon repeated softly.

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon, still dazed for a second, and then she recognized her, pulling her awake and smiling instantly. "Oh, you're awake!"

Taeyeon slightly leaned away from the loud voice, surprised by the sudden smile and instantly pinked. And Tiffany noticed, almost squealing, itching to pinch her cheeks. But she also noticed Taeyeon's discomfort and released her arm, cheeks blushing harder than Taeyeon's, the space between them increased.

"S-Sorry, haha." Tiffany apologized. "How are you doing? Are you refreshed now?"

"Y-Yes."

"Tired night, huh? Was it full of plates?" Tiffany pointed Taeyeon's bag.

"E-Er, yes..."

"I fixed your things, if you don't mind. But if you do, it already happened but I will note it in the future in case we ever meet again."

"I-It's okay..." Taeyeon softly said. Actually, her voice had been at this level throughout their conversation because she somehow realized how the situation happened and was even more embarrassed.

They were left in a semi-awkward tension, mostly from Taeyeon's side. Tiffany was inwardly laughing and awing at her confusion.

"Oh! Oh yeah," Tiffany realized something. She stretched out her hand. "My name is Tiffany."

"T-Taeyeon." Taeyeon answered, shaking her hand. When they let go, Taeyeon composed herself, exhaling deeply. "U-Um, sorry for the trouble, by the way..."

"It's fine, Taeyeon-ssi." Tiffany immediately accepted the apology, sensing her discomfort. "Besides, your arm must be numb from my hold, so I should be apologizing too."

"B-But that would mean yours got numb too, right? S-Sorry about that"

"It's fine." Tiffany said again, smiling at her. She wanted to get it across to her that it was okay.

"...also for my stuff. Anyone could have taken itbut I have really bad penmanship so noone would take my notes anywayb-but yeah, my stuff!"

"Taeyeon-ssi..."

"W-Wait, actually the most important one would be mef-fu--fudgie bars gummy bears oh vanilla ice cream parfait."

"Huh?"

"I-I almost cursed out loud. S-Sorry"

"Taeyeon-ssi," Tiffany overpowered Taeyeon's voice and almost all others. "Hey." She called her, instantly clapping her shoulder.

Taeyeon stopped mumbling and gazed at her. She followed Tiffany's lips, reading it while hearing her comforting words.

"If you feel so sorry, why don't you say 'thank you' instead?" Tiffany smiled sweetly, grazing her thumb on Taeyeon's shoulder. Or the exposed skin peeking out between her bra strap and neck hole but anyway.

"Go on." Tiffany encouraged.

Taeyeon looked down, took a deep, deep breath and raised her eyes now to look directly at hers. "Thank you, Tippani-ssi."

Tiffany's smile was very sweet and contagious making Taeyeon grin. "That sounds better, right?"

"R-Right." Taeyeon couldn't stop her stutters. She kept on looking at Tiffany's beautiful eyes when she smiled, and liked hearing her easygoing husky voice. "What's your college, Tippani-ssi?"

"I'm in business. Daddy's girl and whatnot." Tiffany shrugged. "Am I right in thinking you're in archi?"

"Ah, no." Taeyeon waved her hands. "I-I'm in FA."

"Oh." Tiffany nodded. "You're an Art Student either way then. Haha," she laughed it off.

"Yes." Taeyeon smiled a bit. "Um, anyway, do you have some time to spare? I want to treat you some food for t-taking care of me." She blushed, still embarrassed.

Tiffany raised her eyebrows. "Oh. Yeah. Sure. I have time."

"Alright then." Taeyeon nodded. "Let's go then...?"

"Yep." Tiffany stood up.

Taeyeon followed her motion, getting her things.

"Wait, Taeyeon-ssi. Where's your next class?" Asked Tiffany.

"O-Oh. History. It's just across the building."

"Let's leave our things here then. I have Bio next but it's still less than an hour anyway."

"But someone could take it."

"Hm." Tiffany thought. She searched for a friend around the area and shouted when she saw someone. "Ooh! Jessi! Over here!"

The girl from the phone walked to their side when she heard her best friend. "Heyo, Tiff. Thought you'd be somewhere else now, like, where the food is?" Her voice was cool as ice but welcoming.

"Ey, thought I'd spend more time studying. By the way, Jessi. This is Taeyeon, a new friend of mine." Tiffany cast an arm to Taeyeon. She did the same to her phone friend. "And Taeyeon-ssi, meet my best friend Jessica, or Jessi."

Taeyeon tried to bow a bit with her stuff still around herself. "A-Ah, hello, Jeshika. N-Nice to meet you."

Jessica snorted, rolling her eyes. She smiled, looking at Tiffany. "Cute friend you have here, Tiff. Never expected you and her to get along."

"H-Huh?" Taeyeon's confused voice filled the air again.

Jessica smirked, crossing her arms. "Hey, Taeyeon-ssi, try saying Tiffany."

Tiffany blushed. "Jessi!"

"T-Tippani...?" Taeyeon said.

Jessica's smirk grew, her chin high. "Alrighty then."

"U-Um, what's going on?"

"Tiffany here usually corrects people when they say her name wrongly"

"Not exactly!" Tiffany in. Taeyeon all the while hummed, wondering.

"She excludes cute girls" Tiffany covered Jessica's mouth, but Taeyeon heard it anyway.

"A-Ah... Haha." Taeyeon awkwardly laughed.

Jessica thought how funny it was to see the two so red and clammy. It was payback for cutting their call short. She was sure it was because of Taeyeon Tiffany stopped, but to how it happened...she'll find out next time.

"Can you guard our stuff while we go eat, Jessi?" Tiffany finally asked.

"Leave me here while you eat together, sure, I'm the third wheel. Go on." Jessica mumbled to herself. "Oh-kay then, Tiff. Shoo."

Tiffany was grateful Jessica mumbled in English.

"Let's go?"

Tiffany took Taeyeon's hand and pulled her away from her best friend who she was currently annoyed at.

"Don't mind Jessi, okay, Taeyeon-ssi? She was kidding."

"It's fine. I...think you're beautiful, Tippani-ssi."

Tiffany stopped at the end of the stairs, looking back to Taeyeon, grip released.

Taeyeon's smile was small, but it was a confirmation that eased Tiffany. Both knew they were on the same page.

"Is it okay if I treat you dukbokki?"

"Sure."

Taeyeon and Tiffany shared two servings of the food, taking secret glances at each other while they ate at the side of the stall. The moment was short-lived, but memorable for a first unofficial romantical eat-out. Because they weren't yet in that stage, it's too early for that, they both know, but they also agree to themselves it will happen in the near future.

When they were done, Tiffany and Taeyeon got back to the library. Jessica tagged along when Tiffany accompanied Taeyeon to her class.

"When can I see you again, Tippani-ssi?" Taeyeon asked just outside the door to her classroom.

Tiffany smiled sweetly, answering, "Send your sched to my number. I'll give mine to yours."

"O-Okay." Taeyeon blushed, remembering her number in her mind and the saved name for it. "Goodbye."

"Bye." Tiffany waved, Jessica copying her too. "Don't sleep in class, Taeyeon-ssi! Good luck."

Taeyeon smiled back, shuffling inside.

Jessica had her arms to her chest, clicking her tongue. "Oh, Tiff..."

"What?"

"You so have the hots for her."

"She knows."

"I know."

"Okay."

"Okay. Just saying. And stop smiling like an idiot, we're getting weird looks from people."

Tiffany's bashful smile widened even more, and lasted until the end of the day when she slept with Taeyeon's schedule imprinted in her mind, as Taeyeon's mind is to Tiffany's.

Jessica? Jessica's somewhere doing things she likes herself. Obviously sleeping, because c'mon, she likes to sleep.