1/1

Swings

“You know your lace is undone.”

 

Kyungsoo looked down at his feet and noticed his white laces laying at each side of his converse. He looked up and saw her raise her eyebrows.

 

“Are you going to fix them? I mean i'm not your mum but you could fall and scrape a knee or whatever.”

 

With a nod he bent down to tie the laces and at the corner of his eye saw her feet shuffle lightly. One foot prompted on the other as she balanced. Putting his back straight he came face to face with her.

 

Gym was probably the one class he hated most because he was uncomfortable with the shorts they made the boys wear and he grudged the fact none of his friends were in this period slot with him.

 

“Jenny” she smiled and stuck out her hand.

 

“Kyungsoo.”


“You're new right?” Kyungsoo shook his head in disagreement causing her to once again raise her brows.

 

“No, I just keep to myself.” he mumbled. He was shy there was no denying. Not shy to the point were he didn't have any friends just simply...reserved. Kyungsoo has never seen the big deal in making endless amount of friends because they wouldn't be there in later life.

Everyday was the same for Kyungsoo but he was never one for change. He woke up, showered, got dressed, went to school, studied and occasionally went to the movies. He liked it this way, this way was best for him.

 

“I don't remember seeing you before?”

 

“I like to stay in the shadows if I am honest.” She looked at him cautiously.


“Well...are you honest?” Kyungsoo now looked at her and pondered her question.

 

“Of course I think I am as honest as I can be given the world.”

 

Jenny sighed heavily and looked up to the sky. “That is very poetic of you...” She laughed and twiddled her thumbs.

 

“Do you not think the world is a bad place?” Kyungsoo asked quietly. He wasn't one for the brighter side of life. It wasn't that anything bad happened to him personally, he wasn't bullied, he had wonderful supportive parents. But in his mind, if you are too hopeful you're more likely to be disappointed.

 

“I don't think the world is a bad place...” she broke him out of his thoughts, “I just think the world is full of bad people.” He nodded knowingly. Jenny had a point he was never going to argue with.


“But you always seem to socialize with everyone. If you had that mindset you would be reserved...like me.” Jenny laughed loud once again and turned to face him.


“So you know who I am?”

 

“I've seen you around.” He replied nonchalantly. To be honest he noticed her a few years ago. He never knew enough about her to call it a crush she was simply intriguing to him. Jenny was bold but never rude. She would always listen to everyone even if it was some bull story. She was attentive and he liked that about her.

 

“To answer your question before,” She looked at him seriously for the first time since they started chatting, “How am I supposed to know who the good people are if I never give them a chance?”

 

The bell rang signifying the end of the lesson. “Well Kyung...it was a pleasure to meet you but we need to skedaddle and get changed.” Jenny hopped away with a smile on her face and looked back.


“To be continued...” She pointed at him before exiting with a wave leaving Kyungsoo the only student left in the gym hall.

 

**

 

After a long shower Kyungsoo ruffled his hair and checked his phone. Nothing like usual. He put on the TV and watched the last 15 minutes of Technicians. The night was dragging in and the more he checked his phone and social media sites the slower time seemed to pass.

 

He was disrupted by a tapping sound on his window and since he was on the second level of his house he wondered what it was.

 

If another pigeon bashed its head against the glass again I swear he thought to himself but to his surprise it was something completely different.

 

“Jenny?”

 

“I come to you like a guy would come to a girl in a cheesy movie. Unfortunately I forgot the boom box.” He smiled at her Say Anything reference and let out an audible laugh. “Wait...was that a laugh? I need to make 80's movie references for you to laugh?” she giggled and gestured for him to come down. “I have plans that involve you. Lets go.”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head and stopped smiling. “It's really late and I have studying to do. You should be too.” Rolling her eyes as she let out a sigh Jenny replied,

 

“Come on it will be fun! I promise.”

 

“Where exactly at this time would we go?”

 

“I'm gonna show you why the world is a beautiful place.”

 

**

 

Reluctantly, Kyungsoo dressed in his usual black jeans, navy jumper, and his hair fell effortlessly onto his face. He started to climb out the window but was stopped quickly.


“I'm all for reckless behaviour but you have nothing to climb down on.” Jenny pointed out and laughed. Almost instantly Kyungsoo's cheeks turned rosy red in embarrassment and he headed for the front door.

 

“See this is much more safe.” She greeted him and smiled, “Now lets go, the world awaits.”

 

She grabbed his hand and ran down the street. Did Kyungsoo ever mention he hated running? Panting heavily, he started to slow down.

 

“Jenny...can we...stop...” Looking back she caught sight of the helpless boy but shrugged.
 

“You can rest when we get there. Trust me we are almost there.” She gave his hand a squeeze and proceeded to drag Kyungsoo behind her.

 

After what felt like 20 years they finally stopped. She reached into her pocket and grabbed her inhaler. “How did...you know I had...” He stopped and coughed harshly.

 

“Asthma? I've seen you around.” Kyungsoo looked at her with his big eyes and nodded accepting her answer. He takes two puffs before handing it back and thanking her.

 

“So you knew me before you approached me?” Kyungsoo asked regaining his normal breathing pattern. With a simple nod she walked over to the bench situated in front of her. “Then why pretend you didn't”

 

“Because I don't know you. I know you're a human who eats with the same three people everyday and eats the same lunch. You clearly hate Gym class and you are really smart in English. Those facts don't mean I know Do Kyungsoo, it just means i'm observant.”

 

“The word stalkers comes to mind.” Kyungsoo let out a breathy laugh and rubbed his hands on his jeans.

 

“Call it whatever you want but you can't deny it's nice to have someone notice things about you.” It was her turn to laugh but it was cut short.

 

“You like Crisps more than chocolate,” Kyungsoo started causing her to widen her eyes. “You hate anything to do with sci fi romance novels because you think they are unrealistic, you love to indulge yourself in crime documentaries and for some reason I will never understand you have a strong love for ham pizza.”

 

“Wh-How do you know that?”

 

“I'm observant.” He smiled down at his hands to avoid looking at her. Y/N has never had anyone pay attention to the little details and she knows how much she's longed for someone to just open their eyes and see. That's why she tries to notice everything about everyone. “So why did you bring me here? It's just a park.”

 

Jenny gasped and acted as if she was in shock. “Excuse me Mr. Do but this isn't just a park. This is were I fell in love.” She smiled and kicked the ground beneath her.


“Oh..really? Then why did you bring me here?”

 

“When I was 8 years old I sat in that swing over there and had no one to push me. I was really little so I couldn't get the height I wanted. This kid asked me if I needed a push so you can imagine my excitement and I was so happy.” Kyungsoo listens intently furrowing his eyebrows together, “He was around the same age give or take a few months. He had the sweetest smile and these round glasses with black frames. Anyway, he started to push me but the higher I got the more force the swing had so, inevitably, the swing came right back and hit him square in the face. Boom. He was knocked out cold.”

 

Kyungsoo laughed and then stopped at the realisation.
 

“He was bleeding, I was crying, it was all a huge mess. But when I - and some other kids - got him to wake up he just smiled at me and said-”

 

“You push me next?” Kyungsoo finished the sentence and looked straight at her though she was paying no attention to him but agreed.

 

“I knew then that this 8 year old boy was someone I needed in my life. I fell in love. I was only 8 so I think it was a one day kind of love, but love nonetheless.”

 

She sat criss-crossed on turned her body to him. “I never got to thank you for the push. You're a great person and if the world was so terrible I wouldn't have found you.” She shrugged.

 

Kyungsoo can remember every bit of her story yet he found what he did so insignificant. He was a child that was foolish and ended up with a lump on his head. “You..you don't love me now right? Because I don't wanna be rude but-”

 

“No I still do.” His eyes broadened at Jenny's statement, “But I love you as a swing partner. Like I said I don't know you.”

 

Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief. He didn't want to hurt her and say he didn't feel the same way.

 

“But I would love to get to know you.” She mumbled quietly to herself.

 

“Then why don't you?” He smiled and rubbed her hands in his. “I mean you did cause me a concussion that day but I think I can let it bypass.”

 

-------

 

A/N: Hello! This is a simple one shot that i actually did as a request on tumblr!

I plan on writing more stories if you'll support it! gif credit to owner