Meet Seulgi

I'll Protect You

3rd time. It was the 3rd time in 2 years that Seulgi had to transfer schools due to her father's irregular job postings. One moment they were in Seoul, next, they were in Busan and now, Incheon. 

Jang Misun(Seulgi's Mom) was born in the quaint city of Daegu, where her family runned a simple Ttarogukbap Restaurant in front of one of the city's main 4-way intersections. The brightest of her 3 siblings, she moved to Seoul when she was 21, after getting a scholarship to enter the prestigious Sungkyunkwan University, where she studied Psychology. At the age of 24, she eventually graduated with honors and by the age of 40, she was now the Head Psychologist of the HyunGi National University Hospital.

Kang Junhyuk(Seulgi's Dad), on the other hand, was born in the capital of Seoul. He was never really the kid who would spend time on his studies but he always had an undying love for engineering. He would stare at different structures everyday, wondering how they were built, and not hand in his homework on purpose so he would be sent to the detention room, the only place which gave him a clear view of the entire school building. After completing his mandatory military service, he decided to pursue his passion in engineering at the Hanyang University College of Engineering, eventually becoming a Project Engineer.

How did they meet then? Well, it all started when Junhyuk was on a class field trip to the Sungkyunkwan University campus, one of the only universities in Seoul to receive an award for their outstanding building structure design. While analyzing the detailed structures in the school, something else caught his attention ----- a gorgeous young lady with pale skin sitting under the cherry blossoms, observing her schoolmates around the campus with a notepad in hand. In his 23 years of youth, he had seen many award-winning structures but he had finally caught sight of one that he wanted to look at all his life. Hence, cue the non-stop bouquets, love letters and cheesy midnight texts. After 3 sweet years of after-school dates and persistent woo-ing, the deal was sealed.

 

Kang Seulgi was never the type to make friends easily. Being an only child with working parents, she was constantly left in the care of babysitters, or occasionally, her neighbours. The kids in the neighbourhood hardly approached her, courtesy of her single eyelids and sharp jawline, which gave her a 24/7 "you-can't-sit-with-me" look. To make things worse, she was the introvert of all introverts and her awkward personality often resulted in "one-off" friends ---- basically people who became your friend for a day, and than strangers the next. The kids in her class often found her weird because of her 5-second late reactions. Someone would say something funny and everyone would laugh almost immediately, with the exception of Seulgi, who would break into an uncontrollable laughter and clap her hands like a seal 5 seconds later. This would almost always result in an awkward silence and everyone turning their heads left to right, giving each other the "what is wrong with her" look.

Despite all these, Seulgi was fine. She did not feel the need to have many friends like the cool kids did, neither did she want to go on weekly movie dates with her few girl friends. All she wanted to do was to stay in bed, watch her korean dramas and fantasize over the sweet romance that she would never have. She wanted someone who would look at her in the eyes like she meant the world, protect her when everyone was against her and love her when she needed to be loved. "Things like these only happen in the dramas Seulgi-ah..just look at your dad and I, he used to write me love letters every week and whisper sweet nothings into my ear every chance he got when we were dating, but now the only letters and whispers I get from him are the monthly utility bills and his daily groans for me to prepare breakfast."  Just like that, Mom would shatter Seulgi's romantic fantasies and expectations of her future spouse, which she doubt she would ever have. 

 

 

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sorry for the short chapter guys! This is basically an introduction of Seulgi and her family. I wanted to give you quicker updates but I had a writer's block straightaway after the foreword HAHA. Hope you guys like the intro, do comment and give me your feedback! I'll be bringing Bae Joohyun into the story soon and I'm so stoked!