An unlucky comeback

The most beautiful memory

An unlucky comeback

Chapter 1

lmuVKuj.jpg

It was a cold and icy night. It was snowing. Hyoyeon and Hyungsuk, recently landed at Incheon airport, were heading for the parking where they are waited from the car. Luckily, before traveling, they had left the car covered from the weather: otherwise, they would find an igloo shaped as like an Audi A4 Rendered. They took a seat in the car where little clouds of steam appeared in contact with cold air. Hyungsuk start the car and soon the cabin became warm and comfortable due to the heater.

 

After leaving the airport, the car took the road towards home. The new snowflakes fell on heaps of other snow (no more soft) placed at the sides of the roadway for the purpose of free up the way. It had been snowing for several days while, on the other side of the world, the lovers were enjoying beach holidays.

The headlights, due to the sub-zero temperatures, lit up the waves of cold air that lashed the asphalt making it iced.

 

   «Is quite dark outside» commented Hyungsuk lighting up the curve with the high beams and switching them off immediately after. Scattered around, the streetlights feebly lit up the way. It was hard even to see the profiles inside the car. The only source of light came from the arrows of the instrument panel and from the red writings on the dashboard. A small display between the rev counter and the tachometer indicated date and time (5 January 11:45pm; the plane was delayed due to the weather), the kilometers traveled and the car's speed: 92 km/h. Despite the icy road, Hyungsuk could keep the car at that speed. After all, it wasn’t the first time that they go through there. Whit that gait, they would come home in less than an hour.

 

The street was mainly desert: sometimes you can saw some car coming from the other side that, with their highlights, made Hyoyeon’s eyes to squint that were become accustomed to lack of light.

Hyungsuk winced (as he was focused on the road that flowed in front of him) at the sound of Hyoyeon’s phone.

   «It’s not Deep Red» teased Hyoyeon referring to the ringtone «the marimba isn’t from horror films…» went on twisting to reach the phone left inside the bag that was lying on the back seat «…unless you play it or-»

   «Stop it!» interrupted Hyungsuk pretending to be offended but he couldn’t hold back a smile. Hyoyeon bursted into a big laugh and unbuckled her lifebelt to reach without obstacles the Alexander Wang’s bag.

   «Hurry up, the car will complain» said Hyungsuk before the buzzer starts to ring at an intermittently sound to remind you to wear the lifebelt.

The shoulder strap was simple but quite expensive: had two main compartments where you can place all the necessary and a flat pocket on the back used to put a mini tablet or an E-reader. This “Diego” was in tumbled black leather, decorated with rose-gold studs on the bottom and the belt loops allows the closure of the bucket-bag.

Grabbed the prey and retrieved the ringing phone, Hyoyeon said «is…» but another oncoming car made her close the eyes preventing her to read the caller’s name. However, another factor dissuade the attention from the phone. The car didn’t go straight, but it coming towards them at high speed.

   «The lifebelt!» and «be careful!» they shouted at each other in unison. In the in vain attempt to reconnecting the lifebelt, the phone slipped under the seat.

The high speed and the frozen ground did not support the sudden maneuver, which Hyungsuk was forced to do to avoid the frontal collision, making him lose the control of his car. In an instant, the Audi ran straight on the snow pile and in the next instant, the car rolled on itself.

Hyoyeon was no longer in the vehicle but she was lying on the shiny asphalt and she was watching a blurred figure crawl out of the overturned smoking car. Became more and more difficult to re-open the eyes. Meanwhile the shadow advancing towards her with quick step, the buzzer’s sound faded away as she lost consciousness, leaving her in a cold and dark silence.