The Girl Next Door

The Girl Next Door

Everybody calls me the flirting guy. I flirt here and there every day, changing my crush every once a week, simply because I can’t help it when I saw pretty girls, I just want to tell them sweet things. Well, not my fault if girls was so cute when they’re blushing because of my sweet words, I just can’t get enough of their adorable reaction.

I don’t date anybody, though, because the girl I like always think that I’m silly or they think that I’m not serious when I flirt with them. Well, not that I really want to date anybody, though, except for one girl. So, I’ve been single since the girl from another school dumped me when she saw me flirting with a waitress at café near school. It was 2 years ago, and I’ve moved on, thank you.

 I walk to my class with ease, casually tucking my hands in my pocket, winking at a group of girls in the corridor. I do the same routine every day, for the sake of my reputation. The girls giggle and blush, so cute. See? I just can’t get enough of them, I love cute and adorable thing.

The only adorable thing that I can’t stand just, the sight in front of me right now. My best friend’s kissing my other best friend in the nose. Then they do this sweet staring contest, then my best friend bent down to peck my other best friend’s lips then whisper sweet nothing at each other.

Ugh, I want to puke. Don’t get me wrong, I love them together, really. But, looking at the same thing every morning, and every lunch time, and every afternoon, and every time I come to their house, is not something that I adore, really.

 Just a month ago Minseok declared that he’s gay and Haneul cried every time we talk about him. Now, they’re nothing but eating each other’s face every two minutes.

“Get a room,” I tell them. Haneul blushes, which is cute, and Minseok snorts.

“Oh, Jongdae, you’re here,” Haneul smiles at me.

“Yeah, I’m here, and I almost puke already, just by looking at the two of you,” I shake my head while saying this.

Haneul makes a face and Minseok rolls his eyes. “Just ignore him, Haneul baby, He’s just jealous,” he says.

Jealous he says? Please!

“Why would I be jealous?” I protest, “Haneul is just a sack of potatoes and I’m not into guys, tell me, why would I be jealous?” I say, very out of topic.

“My girlfriend is just beautifully fine, excuse me!” Minseok angrily says.

Haneul laughs quitely, looking at Minseok with grateful eyes then turns at me, “Of course you’re not jealous of us being together,” she says, “you’re jealous because we’re happy and you still ignored by your girl next door,” she states the fact.

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” I groan, making Minseok and Hanuel laugh in victory. Then they leave me to go to class together, hand in hand.

Yeah right, the girl next door, my one and only problem this couple of weeks. Let’s say that I have a crush on this girl, hard, and she just sees me as a neighbor, and not a hot one either, I might add.

So, here’s the story. I’ve been living next to this girl since I moved in when I was 3rd grade. But I never noticed her. As a kid, I spent my too many times at my previous neighborhood, which is also Minseok’s neighborhood, to play with my friends. I would bike to Minseok’s house everyday then play with him and other kids, even after Minseok moved to China I still went to park near his house. Ended up, I don’t really know the kids in my own neighborhood.

So, this girl next door, I got a few glances at her but never really paid attention, and before I got to know her, she’s admitted in all girl middle school and went to live in the dorm there. After that, I didn’t even remember that I have a neighbor around my age until two months ago.

She went home and decided that to stay at home because, according to my mother, she was tired of dormitory life and wanted to spend more time with her family.

Our first encounter was a bit embarrassing actually. It was Sunday morning, if you consider 1 in the afternoon as Morning, I was just woke up and groggily opened my bedroom window, then I saw my neighbor’s window in front of my room was opened,  which is weird because it’s always closed before. I was just to shrug it off when I heard a girly voice singing from the next door’s window. The voice was so beautiful, so before my curiosity kill the next door cat, I tilted my head to get a better view to the opened window.

There I saw, a very stunning young lady (yeah I know) sat in a bed singing while playing guitar. Playing guitar for God sake. Despite her long legs that exposed due to her short short, the girl was y. So I man up, like a brave guy I am, and greeted her.

“Hi there,” I said gaining her attention, I saw her looking at me with wide curious eyes, which is cute and also pretty, then I waved at her. “Nice voice you had there,” I said.

“Um, thanks?” she said unsurely.

“I’m Jongdae. I never saw you before, I ‘m sure because I would remember if I had a pretty neighbor like you, so care to spare me your name?”

“Well, I am busy,” she said and slammed the window close.

What

The

Hell!

I am Kim Jongdae, didn’t the girl know? She’s supposed to giggle or blush when I compliment her, but slamming the window? The girl had nerve! I mumbled string of curses until I saw my appearance in the mirror, I was shirtless with my hair sticking out of place and a trail of drool in my cheek. Nice!

After our first meeting, I always spend my day to flirt with her by the bedroom window. She usually just rolls her eyes and tells me to get lost, but she gradually becomes friendlier towards me after our mothers introduced us one day when they’re planning for a family dinner.

I learned that her name was Han Areum. Her name is beautiful, just like the person, as expected from my future girlfriend. Me and Areum usually talk from our bedrooms, well I’m the one who talk and Areum just rolls her eyes. Sometimes I would sing with her and she always insults my voice. Just like today.

“You know that you have a cat-like voice which is very ugly and out of tone, right?” Areum tells me with a smirk.

I scoff and put my hand over my chest, pretending to be hurt, “Excuse me, I have a great voice, just because you came from heaven, doesn’t mean that you can insult a mere human guy like me.”

Areum rolls her eyes and snorts, “Bye Jongdae. Dress nicely for family dinner,” she says then slamms her window.

I nod dumbly, I almost forget about the family dinner. I asked Hanuel before about what to wear for family dinner, and Haneul suggested me to wear my navy buttoned up shirt, which is pretty cool. I took a deep breath then call Areum’s name.

“Areeummmm.”

After a few seconds, Areum’s window yanks open revealing a frowning Areum.

“What are you wearing for the dinner? What color?” I ask.

“Why is it matter to you?” she asks back.

“To matching it, make it like a couple, don’t you think it’s cute? So tell me, what color?”

“I won’t tell you,” Areum chuckles.

“Why not?! Just tell me,” I whine.

“Nope, I don’t wanna be couple with you,” Areum snaps.

“Give me a chance to look cute with you,” I bargain, making Areum laughs.

“Why don’t we just let the heaven decide for us, Kim Jongdae?”

“Okay, if we’re matched from heaven, will you date me then?” I ask, raising a brow.

“Nope,” Areum shakes her head, “of course not.”

“See? At least give a chance to the poor guy to wear matching clothes together, and then take a selfie so I can brag about how beautiful my future wife is.”

Areum laughs, “Nu-uh, won’t do. But since I am so kind, I’ll make a deal with you. If, we a have a matching color, then I’ll let you take me to a dinner once, is it fair?” she asks.

I smile from ear to ear and nod eagerly. “Yes, I would like that, dinner with you.”

Areum chuckles, “there’s one rule, no peeking. So we have to close our window so we can’t peek.”

“Deal,” I shout eagerly.

“Alright, it starts, now,” she says, them slamming her window.

...

I am so nervous, I have never been this nervous in my entire life. This is probably my only shot to make a move on Areum, so if she doesn’t wear a navy blue, I’m dead. I almost wear black instead, but my guts tell me to go with navy blue, just like Haneul chose for me.

If Areum wear something other than navy blue, I will kill Haneul, despite she’s my best friend or not, I don’t care. If she messes up with my love life, she’s worth to be killed.

I follow my parents with a chocolate pie in my hands. My mother made one for the dinner and the smell almost distracting me, almost. My mother knocks on the Hans’ door eagerly with a smile on her face. Not too long after, Areum opens the door. She looks so pretty, with a fluffy dress that falls above her kness, revealing her long legs. Areum smiles at my parents and quirks a brow at me, and I drop the pie.

My parents gasp and Areum stifles a laugh and me, I’m grinning widely. I’m lucky that the plate is not made from glass or ceramic and the pie doesn’t fall upside down, so it’s only a bit crack. My mother scolds me but I don’t even pay attention to her. My eyes stay at Areum’s dress, her navy blue dress.

My mother mutters that she’ll go to the kitchen to save the pie and my father trails behind her. But I don’t care about her, or the pie or even the dinner, I only care about the girl in front of me, who looks so pretty in her navy blue dress.

“Do I look that pretty that you drop the pie?” she says teasingly with a wide smile.

“Oh, you always look pretty, but tonight you look exceptionally beautiful, with that navy blue dress, that matching mine,” I look down at my shirt and grin at her.

“I can believe this is happening,” she laughs and motions me to get inside.

I follow her to the living room, “Oh, I can say that we’re a match from heaven,” I say. “So Miss Han, ready for a dinner with me?”

“Oh sure,” she nodded. “I dress up already and my Mom said that it’ll be ready in 10 minutes,” she says teasingly.

I laugh at her attempt to joke, “It’s cute and funny, but I don’t really want our familly witnessing our first kiss, so I pick you up at 7 tomorrow?” I ask eagerly.

“Woo, someone’s eager. Why can’t we just go on Saturday night?” she laughs.

“Because Saturday night will be our first date as a couple.”

“Now, who says about being a couple? This is just one time thing, and we go at Saturday,” her voice is stern, but her face lights up with amusement.

“Oh, I’m going to make you beg for the second date, you just wait Miss Han,” I say with a huge grin.

She looks at me with the equal grinning face, “You sure?”

“Uh-huh,” I nodded.

She quirks a brow.”I’m looking forward to it then.”

“You have too,” I laugh. “But seriously, can’t we go tomorrow, I can’t wait.”

She chuckles lightly, “I can’t go out on school night, Kim Jongdae, so you can it or no dinner at all,” she said.

“Really?” I whisper-yell, glancing at the kitchen where the parents are. “Your parents are that strict?” I asked quietly.

She nodded with amuse face, “crazy, right?”

“Oh my God,” I say while leaning to the couch. “You alone is complicated enough, now I have to face your over protective father too?” I .

“Shut up,” she slaps my arm but with a smiling face, “he’s not that bad.”

“Really? What’s your father hobby?” I ask.

“Playing chess,” She answers.

“Holy crap, I hate that,” I say and we both laugh.

“You’re a dork,” Areum tells me.

“Tell me something I don’t know, Ms. Han.”

“Noona, dinner’s ready,” Areum’s brother announces and we go to the dining room.

“You guys seem so close,” my mother comments on me and Areum who currently laughing together.

“Oh, since my window faces his, we talk a couple of times, so we’re cool,” Areum shrugs cooly as she sits on the chair. I sit opposite and nod at her answer.

Mrs. Han sighs and says, “You look cute together, why don’t you guys dating?”

I am quite taken aback, I thought her parents were over protective, but this, her parents is cool, at least her mom is cool.

“Mom, please, we’re just friend,” Areum says while laughing.

“Not for too long though, I’m going to take Areum out on Saturday, then who knows what will happen,” I grin, earning a kick from Areum and murdering face.

“Aww, you do?” her mother asks.

“Yes, Am I good enough to be your son-in-law, Mrs. Han?” I ask innocently.

“Of course you are,” Mrs. Han smiles and passes me a bowl full of rice.

“Thank you, Maam,” I say, thanking her both for the rice and her blessing.

“But are you sure you want to date this brat, Jongdae?” Mr. Han asks me while pointing at Areum with his chopstick.

What is this? His father just asked me casually without an angry face? Well, this is good. His father is cool too.

“I fell in love at the first sight Mr. Han, what can I say, your daughter quite an angel look, I can help it. I hope you give us your blessing, Mr. Han,” I say nicely.

Areum pretends that she wanted to hit me and Mr. Han laughs out loud, “But, I feel bad for you, Jongdae-ya, Areum is not a delicate girl I might say,” says Mr. Han.

“Why do you think we sent her to all girl school?” Mrs. Han blurts out. “It’s because she fights a lot with boys so we thought it’s better for her to enter all girl school.”

Areum whines and I laugh. Han Areum is so unpredictable. “Should I worry about her feisty behavior?” I ask Mrs. Han.

“Oh you should, honey, she’s a black belt taekwondo,” she says.

“Really?” My mom asks. “Jongdae also has black belt in Taekwondo.”

“Really?” Mrs. Han laughs. “What a coincidence. Please take care of our daughter, Jongdae-ya.”

I smile at the sulking Areum. “I will wipe that smirk from your face, I promise,” she hisses lowly.

I just smile at her cute attempt to threat me. “You know that we’re made for each other, right?” I tell her. “We both love to sing, we both have black belt in Taekwondo and we both wear the same color in this very night, can’t you see?”

The whole table laughs and cooes at my remark while Areum only mutters “shut up.”

...

“Haneul I love you,” I hug Haneul as soon as I meet her. “Did I say I love you? I love you I love you,” I chant and kiss her cheek.

“Okay, enough,” Minseok pulls us apart and hides Hanuel behind him. “Who says you can touch my girl as you please?” he says.

“Move, Minseok. I need to talk to my baby, this is important,” I tell Minseok sternly.

Minseok gapes at me then I can see Haneul put her chin at Minseok’s shoulder and Minseok relaxes as Haneul back hugs him. “Okay, I can see that the dinner went well, so tell me what happen,” Haneul grins at me.

“Okay, we made this bet-,”

“Bet?” Minseok and Hanuel interrupt me then grin at each other. “Interesting, go on,” Haneul tells me.

“And I win the bet, so we will have a date at Saturday night,” I tell them.

“Really?” Haneul’s eyes widen at my explanation.

I nod eagerly, making Haneul and Minseok laugh. “Now, you need an idea for a perfect date?” Haneul raises her brow.

“Damn straight you’re right.”

...

“You asked me only to dress in pajamas and there’s just the two of us in this house while your parents are out,” Areum raises a brow at me when I usher her to my backyard.

“This is suspicious, Mr. Kim,” she says in amusement.

“Shut up, I won’t do anything weird, I promise.”

“Nah, I’m not scared, I can always kick your . So what do you have in your sleeves, Mr. Kim?”

I chuckle, “Why don’t you coming and find out yourself, Ms. Han,” I say and gesture her to enter the backyard.

This is Saturday night, the night of our date and I asked my mom to ask my dad to go out so I can have the house all to myself.  

I set a projector on our backyard so we can watch movie. Then I place a few cushions on our swing chair so that we can sit there comfortably while watching the movie.

“Please sit down,” I tell Areum. She sits and takes on of a cushion and holds it close to her chest.

“Ooo, movie date,” she says when she spots my laptop and projector. “I hope you choose a good movie, Kim Jongdae, or I’ll go home.”

“Shut up and just sit tight, I’ll take our dinner,” I say and go back to the house.

“Cola,” Areum shouts in glee when she sees the drink that I bring. “You have no idea how long it is since the last time I drink cola,” she tells me.

“I’m glad you like it, and I bet it’s been a long time since you eat this too?” I ask and pass her a bowl of steaming food.

Areum stares at the bowl and laughs. “Are you serious?” she asks and I nod.

“You feed me ramyun and cola on your so called date?”

I laugh. “I ask your brother about you, and he told me that you’re craving for ramyun but your mother didn’t let you eat any kind of junk food, so I guess we can keep a dirty little secret behind her back,” I say. “And don’t worry, I’ve paid your brother so he can seal his mouth.”

Areum laughs out loud. “Seriously?”

I nod with an eager smile and she laughs again. “Well, this is unpredictable,” he says.

I smirk. Rule number one on Park Haneul’s guide date: 1. Take her to a unpredictable date. I guess I nailed the step one.

“So, shall we start?” I ask her, implying to the movie.

Areum slurps on her ramyun and nod eagerly. I play the movie and lean to the cushion, eating my ramyun. We eat and watch in silent, but I don’t mind, this is calm and I like it.

“Did I tell you that this is the best ramyun ever?” Areum whispers.

“Great, I thought you would insult it,” I whisper back.

Areum chuckles and sips her cola. After 15 minutes of watching, we both finish eating and I set the bowls beside the swing.

“Chips?” I offer her as I take two bags of chips under the swing. Areum laughs quietly, “Kim Jongdae, I see you in different light right now.”

“Is it bad or is it good?” I ask, even though I know the answer.

“Definitely good,” she responds. “How do you know this is my favorite flavor?” she asks.

“I paid your brother, remember?” and we both laugh.

  We munch the chips in silent, but it’s not last for too long as Areum leans closer to me and whispers “Jongdae, the movie .”

“You think?”

“Yeah. And Jongdae?”

“Hmm?”

She leans even closer to me. “Why are we whispering?”

I face her and whisper back, “I don’t know, you started this.”

Then we both laugh out loud without even trying to suppress our voice. “Okay, I can’t watch this movie anymore,” she says.

“You don’t like it?” I frown.

“Well, do you like it?” she asks.

I shake my head, “nah.”

“Then why did you choose this movie?”

“Because my best friend said that girls like this kind of movie,” I shrug.

“Well, not every girl likes Twilight,” she says while pointing at the screen.

I chuckle “yeah, I forget that you are different, you’re not girly at all.”

She slaps my arm lightly while laughing. “But seriously though? You ask your friend to choose the movie?”

I nod. “I ask her opinion about having a perfect date,” I don’t even know why I tell her this.

“You can’t be serious, what did she say?” she asks eagerly.

“1. Take her to an unpredictable date, 2. Do something that she like, 3. Make her comfortable, 4. Respect her, and so on and so on,” I grin.

Areum laugh out loud, “You sure are such a dork. But you’re doing pretty well, Kim Jongdae, I’m impressed.”

“Yeah?”

She nods and smiles, “yeah.”

“Good.”

We talk some more, about each other’s life, friends, family, everything. We get so carried away with the conversation that we didn’t even realize that the movie is long finish. I laugh when I realize that it almost 10 pm and my parents will be home any minute and it’s too long for Areum to be outside already.

“I hate to tell you this, but it’s almost 10 and I don’t want your parents think that I take you out for too long,” I tell Areum.

Areum laughs and nods, “Yeah, I got to go.” She stands up and I follow suit.

“I’ll walk you home,” I say lamely.

“You do realize that my house is just next door, right?” she teases.

“Yeah, I know, but at least let me be a gentleman and walk you to your door,” I argue.

Areum chuckles “alright then.”

“Areum, why did you make that bet?” I ask her as we step out from my house.

Areum laugh, “To shut you up,” she says. “To make you shut up, I just blurted it out but to my defense, I didn’t know that I’d lose the bet, it’s almost impossible for me to lose,” she says honestly.

I smile and nod at her confession as she adds, “But, then I thought that even if I lose, you’re a fun guy and seem nice, so I bet it won’t hurt to be friend with you.”

I laugh and say, “But you aware that friendship is not what I aim, right? I’m more into partnership for the entire life,” I say while winking at her.

“You’re a dork, you know that?”

I nod solemnly, “Yeah, I know. You told me that. So, thank you for letting me to have this opportunity.”

“You’re most welcome,” she smiles. “Even though that was so lame and the movie made me cringe, but it’s the best date ever, for me, thanks Jongdae.”

I grin from ear to ear hearing her saying that. “Um, for the next date, where should I take you?” I shamelessly ask.

“I prefer ice cream parlor,” she says as she walks to her yard.

I stand at her fence, cannot seem to wipe the grin from my face. “Noted,” I say, grinning.

“And Jongdae, text me,” she says.

“But I don’t have your number,” I tell her, frowning.

“Oh, I already added my number to your phone when you went inside to take more cola,” she says and waves at me, then closes the door.

I abruptly take my phone and search for a new number there I see, the new number has been added, her number, the girl next door.

I stare at the new contact while I’m walking back to my house. This is the best night of my life, I maybe do not have the opportunity to make her blush by my sweet talk, but at least I get a second date, right? This is better.

 

-FIN-


what do you think? I had so much fun writing this, I love their interaction, they're so cute.

It passed midnight here in Indonesia, so it's officially my first aniversary here in AFF :)))

Thank you so much you guys, everybody here being nothing but nice to me this pass year. I wanna thank the admin and whoever run this site, but I'm not sure they read this, but I thank them anyway :)) I met new friends here and everybody seems nice to me, and I'm so thankful for that.

So, to all my readers, subcribers, upvoters and commenters, Thank you so much for your support to my story and I love you guys, really. And I hope this story is enough to celebrate the first aniversary :)))

Thanks for reading :)))