Butterbeer won't make you drunk

Tricks, Trucks, and Honeydukes

 

 

 

Dear Suho

 

This is truly embarrassing, but I would like to consult you about something that has bothering my tiny heart lately.

 

You see, I think Squakeypie, my new owl that my second uncle from my mama, Barney the Bartimus gave to me as eleventh birthday gift fell sickly in love recently… with an ugly canary my muggle neighbor, Jamie owns…

 

I know it sounds totally ridiculous (like how my sister thought she could fool me to eat nosebleed nougat… seriously, Wanda??) but Squakeypie won’t deliver any of my letters except if I tell him to deliver U-No-Poo into Jamie’s room…

 

I’ll enter Hogwarts soon and I need Squakeypie to function as a normal, professional owl..

 

Help me please…

 

Sincerely,

Harry(not the Legendary Potter One but was named after the One like thousands of other kids in this not so creative wizarding world.)

 

 

 

Junmyeon chuckled. Letters like this were like a breath of fresh air after countless others asking for love or child education advises. Wait, this one is also about love… And child  pet education advise? Oh well, at least this one amused him somehow.

 

Junmyeon uttered ‘Accio Quill’ in his heart and the closest quill flew right into his hand. He dipped it into a bottle of ink and started writing his answer.

 

Dear Harry,

 

First of all, congratulations on turning eleventh! It’s a big step for you and I’m sure you can’t wait to ride the train to Hogwarts already. I agree that it is important for Squakeypie to start doing his job professionally, or else you will have hard time contacting your family. However, young wizard, it is not okay to keep sending your friendly muggle neighbor U-No-Poo even it is for a joke. If you don’t stop, I will have to contact the Ministry of Magic, Improper Use of Magic Office. Or worse, your parents ;)

 

Now, about Squakeypie’s little crush on Jamie’s canary. Well, since it’s unfortunately quite an impossible love as they come not only from a different sides of world, but also different sides of species, I suggest that we try to talk some sense into Squakeypie’s mind. I’ll send you contact information of my trusted friend, and also a very capable owl animagus, Kyungsoo Do and see what he could do to help your concern.

 

Sincerely,

 

Daily Prophet

Advise Columnist for Personal Problems

 

Suho

 

 

Junmyeon was signing the last letter when someone aparrated behind his chair, making him screamed like he had just seen a bogart. It was the last face he wanted to see at the end of his boring office day. Baek, Hyun, The Byun.

 

“If you’re finished with your sappy advises, Heechul wants us at his office right now.”  

 

Junmyeon groaned as Baekhyun disapparated with exaggerated movement, making some papers flew and fell to the floor. Junmyeon kept frowning as he waved his wand, clearing every messy things in his office, grabbed his coat and apparated into Heechul’s kingdom.

 

The Senior Reporter was sitting lazily with his feet on his table. He didn’t even bother to look at two younger men.

 

“Congratulations, both of you have been chosen for the next position available for page 09 of our pride, Daily Prophet.”

 

Page 9

 

6 page closer to International news of wizarding world.

 

I can do this

 

Junmyeon exchanged look with Baekhyun who kept not so innocent smile on his small face. There was only one position available and Junmyeon won’t lose to someone who wrote dramatic Obituaries for a living.

 

“Here’s the challenge!”

 

Two papers flew both right on Junmyeon and Baekhyun’s faces. It was their main headlines last week, which was written by Heechul himself of course.

 

 

 QUIDDITCH STAR CHANYEOL PARK IS SECRETLY GAY??

 

              Yesterday night, Falmouth Falcons’ chaser, who recently gained reputation for scoring goals while avoiding bludgers from Chudley Cannons’ beater Joey ‘Junior’ Jenkins, was caught passing out in the local gay bar ‘Love is Move’ (located just right in the middle of Diagon Alley and Knockturn Alley). Park was reportedly drank too much firewhisky (“with a mix of Love is Move’s signature tonics!” said the bartender and owner which prefers to go by alias name, Chen), that he didn’t realize the polyjuice’s effect had worn off and he was noticed by others customers. This was a great shock, since Park was publicly dating his third cousin and famous singer, Joy Park. It seems that Park isn’t only good at avoiding bludgers, but also our reporters who are trying our best to seek the truth. His respective girlfriend had also refused to say anything about this uprising issue. 

 

“The truth,” Heechul whispered dramatically. “Whoever finds it first get the job.”

 

 

Junmyeon’s eyes widened as his memories brought him back to his teenage days. Chanyeol Park’s red and gold uniform was blown by the wind. The tall lanky boy was waving his long arms too excitedly for someone who had just lost against Slytherin. Big grin decorated his handsome, tender face. Junmyeon’s heart started beating weirdly like he was still seventeen, tired after having several panic attacks from N.E.W.T.s preparation, uncertain about his future, and hopelessly, madly in love.

 

 

Two days later Junmyeon found himself stuck with Baekhyun in a small lodging in who-know-where forest. Heechul had found out that Chanyeol had decided to take long break until the issue dies down and had secret vacation somewhere near the lodging. Junmyeon didn’t know why he had to share tent with Baekhyun. Damn, why is their company so tight on budget!!

 

“At least I grilled us some sausages!!” Baekhyun protested at Junmyeon’s pouty face.

 

“You burnt us sausages!”

 

“Do you know the chosen one had Hagrid’s burnt sausages as his dinner at the night he found out he was wizard?? This is legendary!”

 

“I don’t think the sausages were burnt….”     

 

“Merlin’s beard! Just so you know, grilling sausages with you in the middle of nowhere is not my ideal vacation either!”

 

Junmyeon felt guilty the next second. It was true that even though none of them enjoying this, job was still job. They needed to do it right or leave. The older man tried changing the topic.

 

“Do you think that Park is really a gay?”

 

Baekhyun tried blowing on his sausages. “I don’t know… He could be biual, or he was just there because he was curious or whatever. You know quidditch players, they like… challenges?”

 

Junmyeon huffed. He hadn’t met Chanyeol since he graduated and Jongin never mentioned anything about the Gryffindor boy again, so he wasn’t sure if Chanyeol was a biual or not. Yet he was sure of one thing.

 

“But even if he’s gay to the bones, how will we find the proof? It’s not like he’s going to make out with a guy all of sudden…”

 

Junmyeon stayed silent. Proof, huh?

 

“Wait, I’ve got an idea!” shouted Baekhyun out of nowhere. “We should try to seduce him!”

 

Junmyeon choked on his butterbeer. “W-what do you mean? Are you crazy??”

 

Baekhyun gave him a seductive wink and Junmyeon felt like puking.

 

“Hey! I’m hotter than dragon’s fire, people turn gay for me!”

 

“Merlin’s beard! Just… Byun, are you…”

 

“We could pretend to be lost or something, like two tourist from Korea who can’t speak English but would like to explore the Second Wizarding War’s famous spots!”

 

“Baek I don’t think…”

 

“You are Korean, I’m Korean, he is Korean! We’ll bond right away! This is genius! I’m genius!”

 

“Baek, you can barely speak Korean…”

 

Baekhyun groaned at the realization. He regretted he never thought of practicing his ancestor’s mother tongue except when he visited his grandmother who stayed behind to serve as witch doctor in Gyeonggido.

 

“Baek…”

 

“Then you do it!”

 

“Do you really think Chanyeol Park will fall for someone like me?” Junmyeon hated how the conversation had turned out. “Even if I put amortentia in his cup and we get pictures, there will only be one position available…?”

 

“Uh, I didn’t think that far…” Baekhyun threw his body on the ground and rolled around. “DUMBLEDORE! I DON’T WANT TO STICK DOING SAD ARTICLES ABOUT DEAD PEOPLE!”

 

“Let’s just sleep and try visiting his inn tomorrow,” Junmyeon suggested while yawning. It was already midnight and he wanted to sleep so bad. “I’m taking the upper bed.”

 

Despite being drowsy, Junmyeon could rarely sleep that night. It wasn’t because of Baekhyun’s snore, but because his thoughts keep getting back to that night in February.

 

 

“Hyung, please… please go on a date with him instead of me… I can’t stand him anymore.!”

 

“But Jongin, he would find out right away that it’s me...”

 

“No, he won’t! You just have to stay quiet and ignore everything he does! He won’t realize a thing!”

 

But Junmyeon failed to do it. How could he ignore the younger boy’s smile, laugh, loud voices when he made those corny jokes. The young Hufflepuff might have showed too much affection than what his cousin would have given to Chanyeol.

 

 

“You are not Jongin, are you?”

 

The sad glints reflected in Chanyeol’s eyes made Junmyeon felt guilty.

 

“He wouldn’t even give me last chance, huh?” Chanyeol let out a sad chuckle. “Please tell Jongin that I will never bother him again, but he’d better not regret it.”

 

“I…”

 

Junmyeon should have left the scene without saying anything that night, but his arm was caught by the younger, and he was pulled into a hug.

 

“Could you… please say ‘I hate you’ with his voice?”

 

“Eh?” That request was the last thing Junmyeon thought would come out from Chanyeol’s mouth.

 

“If I could hear it one last time, maybe I could let Jongin go for real. Sorry, but could you do it for me?” begged Chanyeol.

 

Junmyeon didn’t understand. Chanyeol was the one whose heart was broken that night, but why did he want to cry too?

 

“I… hate you…”

 

Chanyeol laughed. “It doesn’t sound convincing.”

 

“I hate you…”

 

Chanyeol laughed again and this time he let Junmyeon go. “Thank you very much… You are…”

 

Junmyeon could feel tears flowing down his cheek and when he wiped it with his hand, he could see how his skin had already returned to the original state. Pale like snow instead of Jongin’s sun-kissed one. Jongin’s favorite sweater hanged loose on his shoulder and he had felt cold

 

His and Chanyeol’s eyes were caught with each other in one second before Junmyeon disapparated into Kyungsoo’s room and cried in his best friend’s arms.

 

Back in the present, adult Junmyeon was in turmoil. Would Chanyeol still remember him?

 

Perhaps not.

 

He really hoped Chanyeol didn’t.

 

 

They went into the inn, pretended to be stayed-in guests. Their stomachs growled, raging to be fed so they decided to go searching for Chanyeol in the dining room first. There were not many people in there, except the inn keeper, pair of husband and wife who piled up toasts and bacons on their plates, and three old wizards playing cards as they drank coffee and munching hard-boiled eggs.

 

After having each a pack of burnt pork sausages, Junmyeon decided to go easy on his stomach, having only porridge and onion soup. Baekhyun on the other hand, digging on ham, bacons, fried eggs, and baked potatoes like he hadn’t had meals for a week.

 

“Do you want me to get you some tea or coffee?” asked Junmyeon.

 

“Pomp-keen jyus pweasee.”

 

Junmyeon went to the bar and saw the inn keeper looking grumpy from having to deal with one of the old wizards’ complain.

 

“How could you not having Peachtree Fizzing Tea? My old stomach will die if I have to drink your bitter tea and coffee every day!” said the wizard with cracked voice like he was having sore throat.

 

“I’m really sorry, Sir. But currently the only tea leaf available is Snakeweed tea, which is very good for your health…”

 

“As if I was one of those smelly money freak Gringotts goblins!”  

 

The old wizard shouted ‘Bah! Humbug!’ and dragged his feet from the bar counter. Junmyeon had the urge to laugh because the old man reminded him of someone who once wouldn’t stop using the exclamation after apparently watching Christmas Carol in Muggle Studies Class.

 

Wait…

 

“Chanyeol Park?”

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon certainly didn’t expect of running into polyjuiced version of their target that easily. Chanyeol the old wizard had pulled him and seated him on their table, sandwiched between the chaser’s partners in crime, Sehun Oh and Edison Huang from the Falcons, also polyjuiced.

 

“I didn’t expect to run into one of Heechul’s rat in this rotten inn,” said Oh.

 

Ouch.

 

“I’m not Heechul’s rat!!”

 

That’s true, I just happen to work in the same newspaper as him.

 

“I don’t even know who Heechul is!”

 

Okay, that one might have been a tiny, harmless lie.

 

“Then how do you find out that this stink grandpa is Chanyeol the ‘Chaser in Closet’?” asked Huang. “Who are you?”

 

“I-I’m his senior from Hogwarts…”

 

“Please, everyone’s here is either his senior, junior, or his batch mate from Hogwarts. You all graduate from the same school!” replied Huang unamused.

 

“I- I’m not just a senior! I-“

 

Oh and Huang both leaned towards Junmyeon with curiousities on their eyes.

 

“I… I’m Jongin Kim’s cousin.”

    

“Jongin?”

 

“Jongin as in Jongin the Jerk?”

 

Chanyeol hit Oh’s head and the latter screamed in protest. The chaser with grey hair gave Junmyeon unreadable look. His elf ears that was rumoured to have ability of catching sounds of bludgers coming from 100 miles turned red.

 

“I remembered you,” spoke Chanyeol with low voice, almost a whisper. “I wish I hadn’t.”

 

Ouch! Ouch!!

 

Junmyeon didn’t understand why Chanyeol’s words stung a little. Of course the younger lad would love to erase that painful and shameful Valentine tragedy from his life’s history. Junmyeon wasn’t even the main character in that story; he was just the tool one of the main characters used.

 

“May I go now? My boyfriend…” Junmyeon pointed at his and Baekhyun’s table where the latter was looking at him with full of questions. “Is waiting for me and we’re supposed to go on romantic dates to where Ted Tonks and lost their lives in the hand of Snatchers.”

 

“Boyfriend?”Chanyeol muttered. He couldn’t hide his surprise in his tones.

 

“What a coincidence! We are going to the exact same place!” Sehun Oh became more cheerful and warm after finding out that Junmyeon wasn’t paparazzi. “We could go together!”

 

Junmyeon panicked.   

 

Improvise. Improvise.

 

“Oh… But it’s a date, we shouldn’t both-“

 

Huang’s word was cut by Junmyeon’s boyfriend who must have apparated next to him. “It’s okay! My baby and I are both big fans of Falcons!”

 

“Baek, what-“

 

“WE would be more than thrilled and honored to spend days with you! Right, honeydukes?”

 

Junmyeon wanted to puke but he just pulled a fake smile. “Uh, yeah.. yeah! That’s right uh... uh… Squakeypie…”

 

 

 

“Squakeypie???! That’s the best you could come up with??” Baekhyun cringed so hard when they got back to their lovely warm tent that night. “No wonder you stayed lonely and sad all these years…”

 

“Coming from the mouth who called me honeydukes… You’re no better than me,” Junmyeon protested.

 

“At least my bed has never been cold at night.” Baekhyun waved his wand and two sleeping bags showed up on the ground. “Until now…”

 

“You’re right because I’m not going to cuddle with you tonight.”

 

“By the way, you never told me you know Chanyeol Park personally. Trying to get a head start, huh?”

 

“Stop accusing.” Junmyeon massaged his head, tired of silent crying at the sight of the memorial monument build to honor the two wizards. He always liked Ted Tonks’s figure and today had been so tiring he got emotional when they arrived. “I don’t know him personally, we just happen to have the same acquaintance.”

 

“I still don’t trust you. My journalist’s instinct tells me there’re something more…”

 

Junmyeon scowled. “Whatever. The good thing is we’re going to another site with them tomorrow, and maybe we’ll catch Park smooching with one of them or something. Do you think he’s into ?”

 

“No idea…”

 

Another lie.

 

Junmyeon knew what Chanyeol’s preference was. A boy with healthy looking tan skin, golden blonde hair, sleepy eyes, soft and shy smile and hips that were made for dancing. And Junmyeon was none of that.

 

Baekhyun’s yawns were the last thing he remembered before he fell deep into dreams. One where he was an owl flying after Ted Tonks and Dirk who turned into two ugly yellow giant canaries, each had Sehun Oh and Edison Huang’s face. The canaries were running after him while throwing U-no-poo and there was Baekhyun and Heechul, laughing at him while taking portraits and writing an article to ridicule him with their quills. Then it was Valentine again, and Chanyeol and Jongin were kissing in front of Madam Puddifoots and…

 

“Rise n’ shine! We’re gonna be late!”

 

Junmyeon felt his whole body was sore and his head was hurting. There couldn’t be worse morning than this one, he thought to himself.

 

 

“This was where Mr. Ronald Weasley destroyed one of the Hocrux!”

 

The voice of the tour guide girl seemed too excited for someone who did this kind of explanation four sessions a day. Besides them, there were only a forty-something-years old witch with her little son and teenager daughter. The daughter squeaked excitedly, “Isn’t this where he saw Harry and Hermione kissed and realized how deeply he was in love with Hermione and jealous of Harry??!”

  

Her brother cringed and her mother shook her head at her behaviour.

 

“Not exactly Harry and Hermione, but the fake illusions of Harry and Hermione the Hocrux made with evil intent of poisoning Ron’s mind,” Chanyeol, who transformed into some old-fat-lady today explained. Junmyeon might have been too sensitive but ‘fake’ and ‘illusions’ pierced his heart a bit.

 

“I know that,” The girl replied, unamused.

 

“Never mind hi-her, little Miss. She just ate too much blue cheese this morning,” said thirty-years-old-man- Sehun. “Auntie, we should get going now. Don’t wont to miss your afternoon tea, do you?”

 

Chanyeol huffed childishly and his hunchback-husband-Edison dragged him away from the site. The group spent time having sweet cakes and teas at nearby café polyjuice-free, owned by one of Sehun’s trusted friend. There were not much conversations going on except Baekhyun kept trying to dig Edison’s love life with subtle questions.

 

“So there’s no one you consider special at the moment?”

 

“I prefer not to answer that. No offense but the wall has many ears and our team doesn’t need more scandal after what happened to him.”

 

Baekhyun gave sympathetic nods. “I guess Honeydukes and I are lucky we can date without worrying what they will write about us on papers. Right, Myeonnie?”

 

Junmyeon who was sipping his chamomile tea choked and wouldn’t stop coughing. “It’s hotter than I expected. The tea, I mean.”

 

“So how did Honeydukes and you meet?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Baekhyun and Junmyeon’s eyes caught each other. “We met while travelling in France. Isn’t that romantic?” said Baekhyun. “I was visiting my cousin who’s studying in Beaubatonx and I saw this cute lonely guy drinking wine alone in a bar, so I thought why not?”

 

Junmyeon nodded vigorously. It was entirely pure lie. His first contact with Baekhyun was in the welcoming party for new recruits. The place was Diagon Alley’s bar and Baekhyun had stood on the bar counter, trying to make jokes about old broomstick and new hybrid of chicken and thestrals. The younger man had accidently poured his beer on Junmyeon’s head.

 

“What were you doing alone in Paris?” asked Sehun curiously.

 

“He was recovering from Hogwarts times crush.” Baekhyun added, “Thank heaven I found you, right sweetie?”

 

 

 

 

After ninth cup of tea, Junmyeon and Chanyeol stood from their chair at the same time.

 

“I need to use bathroom,” explained Chanyeol.

 

“Me too.”

 

The air felt heavy as they both peed in silence.

 

“I don-“

 

“How is Jongin?”

 

Oh, of course it’s about Jongin. Of course.

 

“He’s doing okay. He’s in Korea right now, teaching Quidditch at local wizarding academy,” answered Junmyeon with much excitement. “How about you?”

 

Chanyeol chuckled, “Been worse. And you? I can see you’re happy now with your boyfriend.”

 

“Umm, yeah… I’m so happy with my boyfriend… sure…”

 

“I didn’t know you are gay too,” muttered Chanyeol as he zipped his jeans.

 

Junmyeon zipped his pants too. “I am a biual to be fair. Didn’t find out I go both ways until…”

 

Until I fell in love with you

 

“I wish people didn’t make a big deal of my preference too. By the way, thank you for not saying anything to the press.”

 

Junmyeon felt a bunch of air choked his throat. “Uh, you’re welcome. Yeah, no one would pay attention to boring mediocre wizard like me.”

 

“That’s not what I meant!” Chanyeol’s eyes became bigger. “I mean, you’re gorgeous and classy, Baekhyun is lucky to have someone like you.”

 

Junmyeon’s cheeks heated up. “Thank you.”

 

They smiled awkwardly at each other when they’re back on their seat. Junmyeon might have imagined things but he caught Chanyeol staring at him more than once when they paid respect at Potters’ cemetery. Then the chaser gave him his handkerchief when he teared up at the story of how Severus Snape died while finding his home, his love in Harry’s eyes.

 

“Don’t you think it’s sad? Until the end he never was with the one he loved,” Chanyeol asked between the sounds of Junmyeon blowing his nose.

 

“It’s sad,” answered the older man. “But at least he died knowing that Lily Potter will be happy with what he has done for her son.”

 

“And that was enough for all his sacrifices? I won’t be able to do that, I want someone who will love me and sacrifice for me like I will do for him.”

 

“Me too, Park. Me too.” Junmyeon caressed the famous words of Snape which carved on the lonely grey monument stone. “Always,” he whispered.

 

 

 

 

The tour ended and it was time for them to say goodbye. Baekhyun couldn’t hide his disappointment of having zero results to bring to Heechul but thankfully the other party thought he was sad with the separation, they promised to give the couple free tickets for their next game.

 

“What are you doing?” Junmyeon raised his eyebrows at the sight of Baekhyun’s quill writing on its own while the owner was lying lifelessly on the carpet.

 

“Writing my own obituary which will be my last because I will never go back making poet about some damn old wizard who died after drinking overdue butterbeer!”

 

Junmyeon sighed. The only thing they had in common was they didn’t find any happiness doing their jobs. If only both of them could get the promotion; but will he be happy doing gossips column about sport life under Heechul’s reign? At that second Chanyeol’s face came to his mind.

 

“Hmm.”    

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon yawned as the last reader’s letter came flying to his hand.

 

 

Dear Suho,

 

 

I’m a young yet talented and famous chaser in my twenties.

 

 

Junmyeon’s drowsiness was wiped off in a second.

 

 

Since I was young, I have known that I’m different than my cousins who find witched with soft long hair and rosy cheeks as very attractive. Instead, my heart beat so fast for a junior wizard who played in the same Quidditch team at Hogwarts. Sadly, that boy didn’t feel the same way as I did and it had hurt so badly.

 

I had few relationships after that but none of them went well because sometimes I gave too much. Other times, I was too afraid of being hurt again that I gave too little or nothing at all. Then I became really famous and people whom I trust to build my career and publicity suggested for me to have this make-believe relationship with someone who’s as famous as me. I thought ‘why not’ because it wasn’t like there was someone I really want to be with.   

   

But then I met someone.

 

This doesn’t make sense because he’s ‘apparently’ already in relationship. It’s not like we had talked a lot, or know each other deeply. Maybe this is just a silly crush that will go away as the time goes by. But there’s something about him that’s hard to forget. Maybe it’s the way his cheeks go red when he’ shy, or how he’s so easily touched by people’s story, or maybe it’s how he stays being selfless for all this year; keep doing things that will hurt him for other’s sake.

 

Do you know those feelings when your tired heart suddenly feels healthy and starts having this hope again? After losing that kind of special feelings for a bloody long time, I know I shouldn’t let go.

 

So will you have coffee with me?  

 

Sincerely,

Chanyeol Park

 

 

There was sound of window being knocked and Junmyeon almost fell off his chair at the sight of Chanyeol on his broom. The older man opened the window with so much hesitation.

 

“I went to talk with Jongin and the kid told me everything, even your work place and who’s your boss!” said Chanyeol merrily. “Then I cornered that Baekhyun and he told me even though you’re not his honeydukes, he’s still grateful for you saving him from his old position.”

 

“Chanyeol, what…”

 

“So where and when can I pick you up?”

 

Junmyeon chuckled in confusion. “Anywhere and whenever but Madam Puddifoot’s on Valentine? That will remind me too much of my first love.”

 

Chanyeol raised his brows.

 

“Yes, we’re both unreasonable fools, Park. Really? After all this time?”  

 

The answer may not be ‘always’, but somehow both of them didn’t mind.