Cool Shoes for Cool Kids

Different from the Movies

Title: Cool Shoes for Cool Kids 

Pairing: MarkJae

Genres: SLIGHT angst, slice of life, college au, there's fluff, the romantic interest in implied, they're just friends (for now), open ending, & oneshot. 

Words: 11,410 words

Summary: "(...) At that moment, he realizes all over again the power that words carry; how easy it is to hurt someone with them, just as how easy it is to brighten someone’s day with them! (...)" 

A/N: AND IT'S MY BOY's BIRTHDAY! <3 Of course I had to update... I do apologize for the lack of updates though. So many things have happened during the last few months, both good & bad, & I just haven't been working on my fanfics as much as I used to. Some are lack of interest, others are lack of motivation to finish, and some are just on hold. Don't get me wrong; I do want to finish my stories... all of them, if I had the chance.

But enough about that. Onward with the story. I don't know how to feel about it lol it's just so silly, in a way. It's pretty short compared to other oneshots I've written... It's been edited a bit, but if there are more grammar mistakes, please tell me! Feel free to comment about what you think about it, to upvote, & to subscribe for the next oneshots! :) Hope you like it! 

 


 

Choi Youngjae’s nervous as he walks around the hallways that leads to his classroom. It’s the first day of classes, and it’s also his first day as an official university student. It fills Youngjae with pride to know that he survived the Hellish years of high school, and that he managed to graduate and start a new chapter of his life. He was more than ready to get on with his life and to say goodbye to all his annoying high school classmates…

However, underneath it all, Youngjae felt incredibly anxious.

He didn’t know what to expect from the university; were classes as tough as it was rumored or were they lying about the difficulty? Would Youngjae be able to make friends or would he turn out to be a loner? Would he be able to find a significant other or would he be alone for the rest of his life? All the answers to Youngjae’s questions were highly possible. It all depended on the decisions he took, and frankly, that scared him.

Such thoughts plagues Youngjae’s mind as he finally reaches his classroom. The door is locked, and there are other students waiting for the professor to arrive outside the classroom. Youngjae decides to follow what the crowd’s doing, and quietly leans back on a wall as he waits as well.

It’s his first class of the day, and unfortunately, he takes it at 8’o clock in the morning. There wasn’t another available section for Youngjae to change to, and he tries not to mind it so much by looking at pros and the cons. For one thing, he prefers the quiet of the morning much more than the bubbling and restless afternoon. As a result, Youngjae can get done homework much faster than he probably could later during the day (since there are less distractions) … however, as the thought popped into his mind, he immediately discards it because he couldn’t do his homework now. Classes had yet to start, after all.

Youngjae suddenly feels lost and confused as to what to do until his professor arrived. He could approach his classmates, but they appear to be busy associating themselves with each other. It wasn’t the quiet morning that Youngjae was hoping to have, and he feels his anxiety grow stronger as the clock ticks by and his professor doesn’t arrive.

He sits down on the floor eventually; he figures it’s better than standing up and doing nothing. Youngjae checks his phone even though he hasn’t received text messages, and sends texts to his friends asking for support. Nobody answers him immediately.

Youngjae’s on his own.

The terrible realization depresses him even more, and he just wants to go home already. There’s nothing more terrible than being alone in a crowd, Youngjae thinks as he sinks further into a black pit of anxiety. It’s one thing when you’re alone and nobody is around, but it’s another matter completely when you’re alone and there are people around. It’s only then when you realize whether you’re truly comfortable being alone, when you realize that you don’t care about what others might perceive you as... and although it might sound terribly childish to worry about that, it’s not easy to accustom yourself to that.

Youngjae looks around him to distract himself, wondering once more when would his professor decide to show up, when he notices that across the hall are three individuals; two of which are playing DS, and the other one is looking around like Youngjae’s doing. They share a moment of eye contact before Youngjae breaks the moment by looking away, feeling all kinds of awkward for no reason. He tries not to make eye contact again with the stranger by checking his cellphone for text messages. Youngjae’s friends still haven’t answered his texts, and it makes him want to cry a bit.

An unfamiliar voice chimes in, startling Youngjae out of his whirlwind of anxiety, “Your shoes are cool.”

It takes a while to register that someone had directed that comment towards Youngjae; he wasn’t sure if it had been directed towards someone else or not. The only reason he realizes it is because the person pointed at Youngjae’s shoes. “They’re cool,” the stranger repeats (and Youngjae imagines them smiling as they talk). He looks up, and Youngjae is surprised to see the stranger from a few moments ago taking initiative to talk to him.

(Perhaps it was the same desperation that was driving Youngjae into a corner, that drove the stranger to talk to him.)

“Thanks,” Youngjae said just as abrupt as the stranger’s comment had been, not quite sure as to what to do or say. He takes a second to observe his pastel blue vans; they’re new and it’s his first time wearing them, so he’s glad that someone else is able to admire them as well. Youngjae then looks at the stranger’s shoes; they are wearing red converse. The shoes appeared to be used and dirty, the charm the converse once had gone with the years, but Youngjae found them just as neat as his shoes, “Your shoes are cool, too.”

They finally have eye contact again, and Youngjae properly looks at the person for the first time. Youngjae’s surprised to realize that the person is, in fact, a guy (he probably didn’t realize it sooner because he was so out of it), and a handsome one, at that. With long, blonde bangs that cover his eyebrows, and dark brown orbs that reflect Youngjae’s image, the stranger grins, “Thanks.”

Unsure as to what to say, Youngjae cranks his head for conversation starters. This person was willing to be friends with him, and he wasn’t going to let him go away… but just then, someone passes by them with a key in their hand. The latter silently opens and enters the classroom without looking at the students, and quickly, everyone begins to fill the room. The questionable conversation they had was immediately broken, and the stranger proceeds to stand up and get a seat.

Youngjae’s left looking at the spot the stranger sat at, and he inwardly curses at his luck. He’s sulking as he feels his cellphone vibrate, but he doesn’t bother to check the notification…

 

From: J.K.

Dude, calm down… it’ll be okay 😊 just breathe in and out

You’ll make friends

You got this

 

(Brownie is typing…)

 

From: J.K.

Find your happy place… be positive…

 

From: Brownie

Lol

Just chill

Everything will be daijobu XD

 

From: J.K.

Bruh

 

(Brownie/J.K. is typing…)

 

 

After Youngjae’s classmates had entered the classroom, most of the good seats were taken already. The professor hadn’t started class yet; she hadn’t even glanced at Youngjae because she was focused on turning on the computer. A part of him is glad that the professor hadn’t turned her attention towards him. That’s the last thing he wanted to happen on his first day of classes.

Youngjae quickly scans the room a second time as he swallows both his anxiety and disappointment, when he sees a chair that’s available. He bolts towards it, not really caring whether the seat is at the front or at the back, or whether the stranger sits near him or not… Youngjae just wanted to sit down already, so that his classmates could stop staring at him wide eyed.

It turns out that the seat he took is in the middle of the classroom, which is more than fine, honestly. That way, Youngjae will be able to easily concentrate on his classes when he wished to. When he felt otherwise, then he could talk to someone around him or study for another class (if it was necessary). Youngjae also had a good view of the whiteboard ‘since no one tall was sitting in front of him, so he didn’t have to move around to take notes. In a way, Youngjae’s happy that he randomly took the chair.

“Alright, students, sorry for the wait!” The professor said as she smiles kindly and walks away from the computer, “Welcome to the Intermediate English course, section four… my name is Dr. Soo Yeon Jung… call me Professor Jung.”

Youngjae types an answer to his friends (“Guys, WTF, don’t spam me...”) when he receives a note. He furrows his eyebrows at the piece of paper and looks up to his right side, only to see the stranger from before. Unknowingly to Youngjae, his cheeks glow a light pink at the coincidence and at the amused smile his classmate wears. The stranger points at the note, a silent indication for Youngjae to read it.

Youngjae opens it slowly, and begins to read it.

Were you even looking when you sat down? XD

I tried to make eye contact with you, but I guess you were thinking about something

A corner of Youngjae’s lips turn upward as he furiously writes a reply. Even though he should’ve been paying attention to the professor’s words, he couldn’t bring himself to focus properly. Not when his classmate’s writing to Youngjae.

Sorry… I didn’t know I was supposed to be looking for you ;P

(In all seriousness though, that tends to happen when I’m anxious)

The stranger grabs the note when Youngjae’s finished writing his answer. Youngjae’s hearts speeds up when he notes that his classmate raised an eyebrow. Eventually, the latter begins to write an answer, and a part of Youngjae hopes he didn’t sound too sassy… he really wants to be friends with the stranger.

Youngjae’s not entirely too sure why he’s fixated on him. He supposes it’s because his classmate was the first one to approach him. Surely, it’s just that.

The stranger hands back his answer, and Youngjae unfolds the note eagerly.

Well… now you know? ;P

(What are you anxious about, if you don’t mind telling (writing) me?

Then, without realizing it, Youngjae’s writing to his classmate about the source of his worries ever since he woke up that day. He doesn’t even hesitate at all, doesn’t think it over, when he hands over the note to the stranger. Youngjae doesn’t feel uncomfortable discussing it at all when he reads the sincere advice he receives from the latter in exchange.

Ah… I understand how you feel. The first day is always scary, especially when your

Friends are attending another university… but you gotta stay positive, man. If you

Really can’t bring yourself to be calm, do it for them. Stay positive so that when you

Meet up, you have something to talk about… and besides, now you have me, which is a plus ;)

With flushed cheeks, Youngjae stares at the note the stranger wrote. He lets out a shaky sigh and tells himself to calm down... The piece of paper Youngjae’s holding has instantly cleared the depressing thoughts he’s been holding in. At that moment, he realizes all over again the power that words carry; how easy it is to hurt someone with them, just as how easy it is to brighten someone’s day with them! Youngjae begins to write an answer…

They continue writing to each other until their class ends, and to their amazement, they still hadn’t exchanged names.

They laugh it over when they leave the classroom together as they ignore the stares from their classmates. They share a look, and this time, Youngjae’s the one who smiles and offers a handshake, “My name is Choi Youngjae.”

“And I’m Mark Tuan,” his new friend says a smile matching Youngjae’s. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

While they walk to the cafeteria, Youngjae’s phone vibrates but once again, he doesn’t bother to check the notification.

 

From: Brownie

@Young

You were the one that texted us xD

And then you left

It’s not our fault if we spam you XD

 

(J.K. is typing…)

 

From: Brownie

Maybe he made a friend! :0

That’s why he’s taking so long to answer ?

 

From: J.K.

O M G

MAYBE YOU’RE RIGHT!

MAH BBY IS GROWIng

 

(Brownie/J.K. is typing…)

 

The end (for now?).