Decision

Decision

Decision

 

Tiffany watched TV on a quiet Saturday afternoon. The biggest news locally was the opening of the new branch SS98 Pharmaceuticals. At first she didn’t really care about the news but then she saw the anchor talking with Yuri. dropped as Yuri explained that this expansion has been in the works for the last 2 years. When she was presented with the opportunity to bring a branch here she wanted to come to the city that she called home long ago. The new branch would boost the local economy and Yuri wanted to give back to the community. Tiffany couldn’t help but smile at Yuri’s statement, being both ambitious and kind; she was always looking out for others. It was for that same reason that drove the stake into their hearts, leading to their separation. Tiffany turned off the TV and looked out the window.

It had been 9 months since Yuri and Tiffany last seen each other. Yuri said that her workload would get lower now that she would have people working under her. Never would she have imagined that Yuri would be in command of a company’s branch.  Just when she was thinking about the last night she saw Yuri, her doorbell rang. She asked who it was and it was a delivery person with a package. She wasn’t expecting anything so she went downstairs and signed for the package. When she looked at the sender it was from Yuri. Her heart started beating rapidly and palms became sweaty. Her mind flashed back to the stipulation she gave Yuri that night.

 

‘I accept your promise Yuri and I am willing to wait only if you will come back and return the key to my heart. If you return it to me through mail then I’ll know to lock that part of my heart forever and never open it again. If you return it to me personally then I will accept the good and the bad and open my heart to you once again. I don’t want your answer now. I really want you to think about what you want and what you can handle. This time I’ll put my trust in fate.’

 

There was only one thing that this package could mean. Tears started to form in her eyes. She guessed that Yuri made her decision about the two of them and returned the key. It was the same key that Yuri left the day they broke up, the same key that Tiffany gave back when they met again on that fateful evening 9 months ago. It truly was too much for Tiffany to handle but she had to do it. She opened the envelope with shaky hands and took out the handwritten letter.

“I’m sorry”

That was the only thing written on the letter and there was no key. She looked at the words in confusion when she heard a knock at the door. It was strange that someone would knock on the door but when she looked up through the glass she saw Yuri standing there dangling the key on a chain. Tiffany immediately dropped the letter and opened the door.

“I’m sorry that I made you wait this long,” Yuri said with a sad smile.

Tiffany broke down and hugged Yuri tightly. She sobbed into Yuri’s arms while Yuri held Tiffany tight. After several minutes Tiffany whispered, “I thought you had mailed the key back to me.”

“I know I worried you. I wanted to make sure you were home so I could give this to you without having to wait. I knew that the project would be done yesterday so I had mailed the letter two days ago with tracking. Once I saw it was accepted, I knew it was time,” Yuri whispered in Tiffany’s ear, rubbing her back gently. “This time I want to do things right.” She stepped back and wiped the tears of Tiffany’s face before reaching into her back pocket to pull out a small box. “Open it.”

With trembling hands, Tiffany opened the box and saw a gold ring with a gold chain looping through it. “What is this, Yuri?” Tiffany asked, voice shaking at the implication of the ring.

Yuri took the chain out of the box and reached behind Tiffany to clamp it on her neck. The ring fell in between Tiffany’s collarbone and Yuri lightly traced it with her fingers before gingerly holding the ring in her hand. “This is a promise to our future. I want us to have a fresh start with each other. When you feel like I have proved myself to be a worthy wife I want you to give me this ring back. When I come back to you I will properly make you my wife…like I should have two years ago,” she said with serious eyes.

“Yuri I…,” Tiffany started but Yuri shushed her with a gentle kiss. It had been so long since she felt those warm lips on hers. Butterflies fluttered inside and she pulled Yuri into another embrace.

Cupping the side of Tiffany’s face Yuri pulled away slightly and whispered on Tiffany’s lips, “You don’t have to tell me now. I’ll wait for you and I’ll put all my faith and love on your decision.”

Tiffany smiled and kissed Yuri again. She didn’t say anything but her heart already knew which choice she would make one day.