Flight Attendant

Flight Attendant - Joowon

A backpack slung over his shoulder as Joowon walked through the airport, rounding a corner, he swiped his badge and the locked door hummed softly as he pushed the door open.

“Joowon~” One of his friends, Hyuk, sang as he watched Joowon mosey over to his locker.

“What’s going on, Hyuk?” Joowon smiled as his fingers worked the lock with fluid precision.

“Aren’t you going to ask me how my date went last night?” Hyuk cooed, standing up and shaking Joowon’s shoulder gently as Joowon couldn’t help but smile as he opened the door to his locker.

“How was your date, Hyuk?” Joowon slipped his backpack into the locker and started ping his backpack before he started to undo the buttons lining the front of his shirt.

Hyuk rambled on about his date and the girl he went with as Joowon changed into his uniform. Right when Joowon was finished dressing, Hyuk finally finished going on about the adventure he had last night.

“Have you been on a date, Joowon?” Hyuk grabbed his hat before heading out of the locker room.

“Nope, not once” Joowon stated as he  held the door open for his friend

“Dude, why not?!” Hyuk spun on his heels looking at Joowon shrug his shoulders.

“I guess I haven’t had the time to date…” Joowon passed Hyuk and began to walk towards the plane he was assigned to today.

“What do you mean?! You have the time, you have a lot of time” Hyuk tried to convince him. “Like what about the night we all had double dates and you tagged along, you could have brought a girl to that.”

“Well I guess I have a little time, but I haven’t found someone to share that time with” Joowon replied once he got to the stairs of the plane.

“I expect you to have a date by the end of the weekend” Hyuk challenged, patting Joowon’s arm he trotted off to his own plane as thought started to form in Joowon’s mind.

Climbing the stairs up into the metal bird, he made his way into the cockpit and familiarized himself with the controls before his co-pilot eased himself into the seat next to Joowon.

Moving the plane into position, Joowon got up from his seat and went to greet the flight attendants aboard the flight. Standing at the door, Joowon and his co-pilot bowed and introduced themselves to one flight attendant then another.

“Welcome aboard” The co-pilot greeted the third and final flight attendant.

“Thank you, sir” You bowed and gave each one of the pilots a bright smile, making sure to make eye contact with both of them. Your eyes locked with Joowon’s for a while longer as you smiled and bowed to him as he bowed back. Moving along, you carefully walked between the aisles to the back of the plane where you could place your things.

“Let’s get this flight ready” The co-pilot tapped Joowon’s shoulder as Joowon’s eyes continued to stay on you. “Joowon”

“A-A-Ah coming” Joowon turned around and glanced in your direction again before taking his seat behind the controls.

A little while later, the plane was filled with eager passengers and the flight attendants were bustling around trying to get every seat filled and keeping everyone slightly quiet as they ran over all of the procedures and precautions before the flight.

“We are ready when you are” You told the pilots after knocking lightly on their door.

“Thank you ______” Joowon nodded his head towards you as you smiled then moved back into position. The co-pilot gave Joowon a look before starting the engines and running through the gauges with the tower again just to follow protocol.

“Thank you for flying with us, enjoy your stay” You announced over the intercom as the passengers then unbuckled their seat belts and grabbed their bags from the overhead containers. Filing out of the plane, you stood by the door and smiled at each and every one of them before you scanned the now empty plane.

The other flight attendants were heading out the door as you were heading to the back room to gather your things. Lifting your backpack onto your shoulders, you slowly walked each row, making sure it was ready for the next flight; lifting the trays back into the seat backs and slipping the magazines back into their holders.

“Good flight Joowon” The co-pilot complimented as he headed out of the plane next.

“Thank you” Joowon smiled and let his eyes scan the emptied plane, however his eyes caught your form and stopped in his tracks as he watched you open all of the windows and make your way up to the door.

Joowon watched you and let you walk out of the plane first before he closed the door behind you.

“Thank you” You bowed to him for holding the door open as you walked down the makeshift hall to the terminal.

Joowon watched you, slightly falling back so he would watch you better, observing you make your way through the light crowds heading towards the food fronts lining some of the walls of the terminal. Following your direction, Joowon sat at an empty table while his eyes followed you from ordering your meal, to paying and finally to where you decided to sit.

You occupied one of the four seats around the table, keeping your eyes on your food, you slowly started to feed yourself. Watching coworkers pass by you and take their seats as far away as they could.

Joowon carefully watched what happened around you, with seats filling up around you and hardly any more seats opened people stood along the walls as you were still sitting alone. Resting his head in the palm of his hand, he observed how your hair cascaded down and framed your face ever so slightly, yet perfectly.

The buzzing of his phone brought his attention back to work as he answered the call and left his table so he could pilot another plane.

Trip after trip, Joowon would watch you do the same routine; smile as you boarded the plane, did your duty, clean up the plane afterwards then eat alone.

“Just go up and talk to her” Hyuk nudged Joowon’s leg under the table to get his attention as they were eating together.

“I can’t do that, she is a flight attendant” Joowon blushes slightly and slipped another bite of food into his mouth.

“Exactly my point, the two of you have been together on the majority of your flights and you can’t even talk to her. Besides look how lonely she is, she could really use a friend.” Hyuk glanced over his shoulder at you, while your head rested against your hand.

“But I don’t want to startle her…” Joowon pushed his food around a little feeling his heartbeat begin to race.

“You like her, I know it” Hyuk smiled as he finished chewing the bite in his mouth.

“Well… “ Joowon debated in his mind if he should go up and sit next to you. Watching you pull out your phone, you set it down soon after as Joowon fixed his collar on his shirt and then stood up, grabbing his unfinished food and slowly making his way towards you.

“Excuse me…” He cleared his throat a little to grab your attention, lifting your head up, a little smile curled on your lips. “May I sit here?”

“Of course” You nodded and sat up a little taller in your seat as he eased his food down on the table before slipping into an open seat next to you. “You are Pilot Joowon, right?”

“Very good memory” He smiled while nodding, delighted that you remembered his name.

“I try and remember the people I work for, I think it is important to remember people’s names” You told him, feeling slightly shy.

“I try and do that too although, some are just so simple that they slip my mind” Joowon sipped his drink slowly as you nodded your head, a smile pulling on the corner of your lips slightly knowing the same feeling.

“So what has been the most memorable destination you traveled to?” You questioned him, not really into small talk.

Joowon happily answered all of your questions while posing some questions to you as well. A warm feeling started to swell inside of his heart as he knew that he would be spending more time sitting next to you, getting to know you more and more.