Dating Policies

Of Aegyo and Encounters

Of Aegyo and Encounters 

“Wheein, she’s here again.” Hwasa muttered while smiling to the fan in front of her. Years of honing her smile-and-speak skills had proved fruitful the moment they made their debut as a duo.

Wheein groaned soundlessly, putting on a similar smile as she answered the fan’s question, “Yeah those are my favourite flavours. Mmmhmm.”

“You should just tell her. How much you hate it.”

Hiding her reply in a cough, Wheein turned away from the excited fanboy. “She knows. Everyone knows.”

“Truth hurts. Tough luck and good luck.”

Wheein couldn’t even shoot Hwasa a curse with her eyes before that one fan they were talking about bounded on stage, energy over the brim despite having waited for hours. It was summer; Wheein was sure the heat would have drained some of her energy.

“Hiiii Wheeiiiiin! I love you!”

Not at all, apparently.

Her full smile was gorgeous, equally idol-worthy. Bright, pure and screaming happiness. Early in her career, she had thought that this fan could’ve been an idol if she tried. She was definitely good enough to be one. In fact, if she wasn’t that blindingly pretty, Wheein probably wouldn’t have indulged her as much.

Everyone likes pretty stuff. She couldn’t deny that she had that tendency.

Shallow? Too bad.

“Hi, Yongsun, nice to see you again,” Wheein said cheerfully, returning the smile.

“Aegyo please? Pretty please? Can you do the vita aegyo again? Pweeeeeaseeee?”

Wheein pummelled the cringe down. The media had stuck the ‘cute’ label on her without consent, her company’s CEO would like her to overflow with aegyo; but here at the fansign, her fan showed more aegyo.

What a world.

Yongsun’s eyes were sparkling and waiting. Wheein caught her manager’s glare and realised she couldn’t waste any more time…

Raising her pen near her lips, she chanted over and over in her head ‘this will be over in seconds, over in seconds, over in seconds’, as she put on her cutest expression.

“Is this fresh or am I fresh?”

The corner of twitched. There was an uproar among the fans, squeals of delight rippling through. But the happiest person was probably Yongsun, who got to see it up close.

“Oh my god, oh my god! Can’t breathe. You’re so cuuuuteeee! Wheein, unnie loves you, let unnie take care oooffff-”

Yongsun was heartlessly cut off by the security, stuffing her signed CD into her hands before ushering her away. Yet, like always, she remained undeterred until the very last nanosecond.

“Wheein, I love you!”

As she disappeared into the crowd of fans, Wheein sighed and continued signing.

“Man, Yongsun. At least pay some attention to me,” Hwasa tutted. “We are 2 Young Girls, a duo, and not Jung Wheein the solo.”

Wheein leaned over, pressing her lips to Hwasa’s ear. The intimacy set another round off squeals off. Wheein could literally hear camera shutters clicking madly.

“Hyejin, trust me, you don’t want her as your fan.”

“Know what? You’re right.”

Wheein moved back to her position and beamed at the starstruck fanboy waiting for her signature. He tried to ask for aegyo again but the request was skilfully parried away.

If only Yongsun isn’t so ing pretty and adorable. 

That would solved all the problems, the soft spot for her wouldn’t even exist.

If only Jung Wheein didn’t fancy girls.

And, if only Yongsun wasn’t exactly her type.

Oh, this.

Wheein scanned the crowd, hands diligently writing an answer to the post it note stuck on the CD. Yongsun had completely blended into the crowd.

“Thanks for coming, it must have been tiring to wait under the sun.”

Wheein grasped the fan’s hand sincerely, she was truly grateful to each and everyone of them. But, as much as Wheein didn’t want to admit, Yongsun held a special place.

Her eye caught someone bouncing in the far corner, waving hard and making heart signs with her arms.

Kim Yongsun.

Wheein chuckled, to the next fan’s amusement.

I wouldn’t trade her for anything.

“What ya doing? Keep signing.” Hwasa elbowed Wheein, but Wheein didn’t respond. Swinging her arm across Wheein’s neck (to yet another wave of squeals), Hwasa pulled her close. “Do your job, Jung Wheein. Why are you spacing out?!”

“She’s there.” Wheein pointed at Yongsun, who was tirelessly trying to catch her attention. Yongsun’s energy spiked up instantaneously when she realised Wheein was pointing at her.

“For ’s sake. Just date her. Now sign.”

“I can’t!” Wheein gasped, carefully concealing her horror, as Hwasa released her.

Hwasa had her devil-may-care expression on, and Wheein was immediately envious. It was a matter of image. Anything Hwasa did was attributed to her being ‘fatal’ as usual. But for Wheein she had to switch back to idol mode and apologise to the fan for spacing out.

Or… Can I?

“Control your drool, lovesick puppy,” Hwasa growled, barely making a sound.

Wheein stole another glance at Yongsun, who had settled down. She looked tired for once, her face devoid of the usual energy.

Such a cutie.

Wheein mentally slapped herself and continued the fansign without further incidents.
 

***



“While we should refrain from dating even though there isn’t an official no dating policy...” Hwasa began, thoughtfully. “I think I’d rather you get her number and date her instead of behaving like some doofus during fansigns.”

Wheein shoved Hwasa, offended. They were on their ride back to the dorm and both were exhausted. She had no idea how her friend found the energy to about Yongsun.

“She’s annoying why would I want her number for? And it’s unethical to date a fan.”

“Wow, now you’re some morally upright person?”

“More of because she’s annoying and weird.”

“Call the cops on her.”

“No way! Don’t you dare! She’s not even a sasaeng!”

“Protective much.” Wheein saw the way Hwasa had rolled her eyes.

“I’m not. She’s an innocent fan.”

“Didn’t you say you’ve seen her around our dorm?”

“I thought I saw her. But nothing’s confirmed.”

“Just get her number. Date your sasaeng, you weirdo.”

“She isn’t a sasaeng even if she stalks me!”

Hwasa gaze fell on her lazily, almost haughty. “Stalks, she says.”

Grunting, Wheein threw her neck pillow at Hwasa. “Ahn Hyejin, Yongsun doesn’t stalk me.”

“Yeah, defend that one single fan who requests aegyo without fail every time,” Hwasa simply scoffed.

“She’s been with us since day one.”

Hwasa fell silent.

Both of them knew how hard Yongsun and many other fans had worked when they started out on their journey to dispel the “who’s this?” status from the duo. Two years back, they were amazing as rookies but in this industry, amazing meant nothing without proper support. Popularity and recognition determined survival.

They weren’t from a huge company, their budget was tight but they were given a lot of freedom, in comparison. They could, largely, do the music they wanted and weren't forced to follow the cutesy pretty trend of concepts. Although they never made it to the brightest spotlight yet, they’ve always felt blessed to have walked this far, hand in hand with the fans.

“You aren’t actually annoyed by her.” What should be a question was made a statement by Hwasa’s definite tone. They’ve known each other for years, practically grew up together, and such things could never escape her eyes.

“I am.”

“Stop lying, you like her.”

“I think she’s pretty.” Wheein fought back a giggle when she thought of Yongsun and her super smile. Her aegyo actually melted her every time, though she would never tell Hwasa that.

The neck pillow flew back to Wheein, landing on her arm before falling to the floor. They slinked back into silence when their manager unnie coughed purposefully. Some things were best left unsaid.

“Get her number,” Hwasa mouthed.

Wheein cocked her head, before mouthing back, “She’s really gorgeous, right?”

To that, Hwasa shot her a glare and shook her head.

“Jung Wheein, get a grip.”
 

***



Wheein was hovering between awkward shock and pleasant surprise when she saw Yongsun behind the payment counter at the convenience store.

“Hi, good evening, will that be all?” Yongsun looked directly at her, with a polite, typical customer service smile pasted on.

“Um yeah? That’s all...”

“Just give me a moment. Would you like some juice? We’re having a fifteen percent discount for those.” Yongsun pointed at a nearby chiller, all the while scanning Wheein’s items.

Wheein couldn’t even tear her eyes away for a second to look at where Yongsun was pointing. This situation was too strange for the singer to properly process. Was she hallucinating? Yongsun couldn’t possibly be an employee here… right?

“Miss?”

“Huh?”

“Would you like the juice?”

“Nope?”

“Oh… okay.”

What the hell? 

Wheein screamed in her head. Yongsun had a pitiful expression on, her eyebrows drooped and everything simply spelt ‘disappointed’ in neon letters.

“Actually yeah, can I get, whichever. I don’t- um I mean it’s fine. Apple.” The sudden incoherence stemmed from Yongsun’s sparkling eyes when she agreed to the juice.

Too damn cute.

She walked towards the chiller, grabbed a carton of juice and paused.

Yongsun’s reaction was too out of the norm. Where were those over the top confessions of love? Spirited away?

Wheein swallowed uncomfortably.

Oh my god. Maybe she doesn’t recognise me without makeup on?!

The temptation to take off her snapback was huge, but she couldn’t risk others noticing her. Sure, it was late and barely anyone was around, but Hyejin would kill her if anything unplanned happened.

“Miss? Hand me the juice, please.”

Wheein stared at the open palm, one she had shook countless times since debut. She plopped the carton on it and, for a fleeting moment, felt the desire to grasp Yongsun’s hand.

Occupational hazard, hopefully.

“Thank you. Would you like to pay by card or cash?”

“Cas- Card. No, uh, yeah card.” Wheein fished out her wallet, a triumphant smile bloomed on her face. If Yongsun hadn’t recognised her, surely her name on the credit card would tip her off.

“A moment please.” Yongsun took the card, looked at it and swiped it without a change of expression. Wheein was left completely baffled. “Please sign over here, Miss.”

With Jung Wheein printed neatly under the dotted line, Yongsun being unaffected irked Wheein. However different she looked, this ultimate fan of hers should be able to connect the dots, right? Where were the screams of delight? The excited chatters? Or the, yet again, stupid aegyo requests?

She’d do aegyo for a full minute if that was the way to make Yongsun recognise her.

She observed her surrounding stealthily, making sure no one else was near them before scooting close to the counter.

“Yongsun!”

“Yes? Did I miss something out?”

“It’s me! Me!” Wheein pushed her snapback up just a little and pointed to her face desperately. But witnessing Yongsun’s ensuing confusion defeated the singer. “Don’t you recognise me? Oh god. I’m pathetic.”

Wheein groaned and buried her face into her palms. This would definitely crack Hyejin up, that was for sure. But how on earth was she gonna face Yongsun the next time?

“I do.”

A whisper made its way into Wheein’s ears. She took a peek.

Yongsun was smiling her usually bright (reserved for Jung Wheein) smile.

“Yo-you do? You know who I am? Like… really? Me? Me?”

“Mmhmm. How can I not?”

Wheein squawked, very nearly jumped and danced in celebration. But she remembered her status. Low key celebrations only.

“I thought you couldn’t recognise me. You scared me!”

Yongsun pouted and Wheein melted.

“No way. I recognised you the moment you stepped in here.”

“Then…?”

“I shouldn’t bother you. You are just a customer buying stuff in here… not my love, Wheein the idol.” Yongsun smiled understandingly, although this glint in her eyes seemed to tell a different story.

Wheein had to hold in a squeak at the point when Yongsun said ‘my love’.

“Hey, what? So you only like my idol version?”

“No!” Yongsun shook her head, protesting violently. “But I shouldn’t invade your private life.”

“Wow. How are you this calm? And Hyejin said you’re a sasaeng.” Wheein laughed, tickled by how innocent and genuine Yongsun is.

“Sasaeng? No! I didn’t even know you guys live here… until I saw you across the streets when I was going home from my shift.”

“She’s kidding. We love you.” Wheein blushed. She was irrationally excited by how it was actually possible to hold a normal, friendly conversation with Yongsun. She didn’t seem so much like a crazy fan anymore. It was like a ray of light, opening up many opportunities and possibilities between them.

Maybe she was the crazy one now.

But if she wasn’t a singer, there wasn’t a chance of her letting this girl slip by.

“He-”

“Hi, how can I help?” Yongsun’s return to the customer service expression was a sign for Wheein to get a move on. Customers were nearing them and it was Yongsun’s way of alerting Wheein.

“Bye, Yongsun.”

Wheein remembered the shy smile Yongsun sneaked her. The desire to cuddle her was too great.
 

***



“Can you see your little sasaeng-”

“She’s not a sasaeng.”

“Okay your fan who apparently works near our apartment but doesn’t qualify as a sasaeng. I maintain that it’s time to move.”

“I bet she’s served you before. I bet a month’s breakfast, lunch and dinner. Throw in supper and snacks.”

They were at yet another fansign, making their way back on stage. Wheein was actually excited to see the fangirl version of Yongsun today.

“Eh, this is creepy but I think you’re right? No wonder. I’ve always thought she looked familiar! Holy .”

“Hyejin, you’re really dense sometimes.” Wheein sighed as she waved at fans and settled down to start the fansign.

“She doesn’t even bother about me usually! Not my fault if I can’t recognise her.”

“She gives you fruit tarts, cakes and all those stuff you like.” Wheein sighed again, where was Yongsun?

But it didn’t take long for the bright voice to appear.

“Wheeinnnnnieeee! Unnies’s here again! Can-”

“Unnie, hey.” Wheein grinned her biggest, before unleashing a surprise, full-throttle aegyo attack. “Buing-Buing, am I cute, unnieeeee~ Say I’m the cutest fairy Wheein~”

The voluntary aegyo caught Yongsun and the entire crowd off guard. This wasn’t something Wheein would do. Even their manager stood frozen, at the back, seized by shock. Yongsun’s jaw dropped.

Reeling from the surprise aegyo attack, definitely.

Wheein snickered, victorious. She had to pay Yongsun back for that frustrating night. She had been too flustered and uncool. Publicly, she was reluctantly in charge of the cute and Hwasa the sassy and cool. But privately, no damn way.

Yongsun, speechless. Payback, success.

And when Wheein was sure that her aegyo had dazzled everyone, she quickly scribbled on the CD.

Leave your number for me. Convenience store.


Author's Note: The wheelar I totally forgot until this morning. and no, NOT SELF INSERT FIC. iwouldwriteaboutbyulifitisone.