Stranger

Stranger

It's been awhile since I was in a relationship. Every day I wonder to myself when my time would come to be in a loving relationship with someone who loves me as much, or even, more than I love him. All my past relationships never lasted more than a year with the excuse of them unwilling to commit and such. Seeing all my friends in a happy relationship made me jealous. I thought that maybe my charming prince got lost somewhere and would come soon. I just had to be patient.

 

--

 

I was on the way home from work when I decided to talk a walk through the park before going home. I've always appreciated nature and it's wonders, especially sunsets. I was humming a random tune with my hands in my pocket while looking at the birds flying around. There weren't that many people around. I walked a little further, still humming random tunes, til I found a bench to sit on with a wonderful sunset view of the beach. I took out my phone and snapped a few pictures.

 

Ahhh. Wouldn't it be nice if I could share this beautiful scenery with someone.

 

I was so into my thoughts about life that I didn't realize someone sitting beside me. I looked at him. He was wearing a sweater with his hood up. Ok... Not really sure if I should be wary of this stranger. I looked around and saw all the other choices of seats he could have sat, but he chose to sit on the same bench as me. I crossed my legs and pretended to adjust my red converse highs and looked at him again, just to make a conclusion on whether I should walk away or just ignore the presence. I was about to look away when he looked up at me and smiled. Oh. Dimples.

 

"I'm sorry! Am I intruding into your personal space?" He asked looking concerned. I smiled back.

 

"Oh no no. It's okay. I was just wondering why you chose to sit here instead of... Well, everywhere else." I said pointing at the other benches. He laughed. Oh those dimples. And that smile.

 

"I was just walking by behind you and I heard the tune you were humming." He said, "I thought it was a beautiful melody. I didn't think much and just sat here and listened to you humming." I cocked an eyebrow, sizing him up wondering if the guy was weird and whether I should walk away.

 

"Oh please don't think that I'm weird or something. I'm not a threat. Trust me." He said as he pulled down his hood and smiled once again. I laughed and nodded at him.

 

"Alright alright." I said, "I don't think you're weird. Not anymore at least." He laughed at the statement and rubbed the back of his neck.

 

"I'm Namjoon by the way. Kim Namjoon." He introduced himself holding out his hand.

 

"Lily. Just, Lily." I said as I shook his hand. I was taken aback by the sudden tingling sensation when our hands met. I pulled my hand back and rubbed it wondering what it was.

 

"Alright Just Lily. What are you doing here on your own? It's almost dark. Are you not afraid?" He asked.

 

"Afraid? Of strangers like you?" I said while smiling at him.

 

"I'm not a stranger! I already told you my name." He insisted, "Well if you want to know more. It’s my birthday today. I just turned 22. And I like to take random walks in the park just to clear my head sometimes."

 

"It’s your birthday today?” I asked, “Aren't you supposed to be happy you're turning a year older? Spending time with your friends and not with a stranger on a bench in the middle of a park?" He looked at me with a sad smile then looked at the sea just listening to the waves crashing for a moment. He seemed to have a lot on his mind. I waited for him to say something, but he didn’t.

 

“Care to share those deep thoughts with me? You might feel better..” I said. He looked at me and I saw the sadness and confusion in his eyes.

 

"I don't know what I want to do with my life,” he began, “I'm getting older and I still have no dreams. My mother wants me to get a job with a stable income, and my dad tells me that he'll support me in anything that I do. He told me once that I should study hard and get good grades so that I can choose what I want to be. But here I am now after college and I still have no idea what I want to do. That's why I decided to take a walk. And here I am. Spilling my deepest thoughts to a stranger." He chuckled to himself and brushed his fingers through his blonde hair. I understood his situation. I, too, am in a similar situation. Confused about where to go in life.

 

“Oh I know what you’re feeling. I graduated a year back and I still haven’t actually got a stable job.” I told him, “My parents keep asking me too, but I still don’t know which direction I should head towards.”

 

“I actually had a thought once, that maybe I should try going into music. I like music and I have written a few songs myself, but I haven’t actually let anyone hear it. Never thought I was capable enough.” he said still looking towards the beach.

 

“Oh? Maybe you could let me listen. I can give you an opinion.” I said eagerly, “I like music too.” He chuckled.

 

“I can tell. You were humming such a beautiful melody. What song was that? The one you were humming before.” he asked. I looked at him in confusion.

 

“I don’t think I was humming a particular song, just some random melody that popped into my head at the moment.” I said, “It kind of happens sometimes.” He looked at me shocked.

 

“Wow. That melody was beautiful.” Namjoon said, “Listening to it actually made me realize how much I loved music. That melody was especially perfect for this scenery.” I chuckled and just remained silent. We stayed silent for awhile. If you think that for two strangers, the silence should be awkward and unbearable, you’re wrong. It was a comfortable silence. We enjoyed the breeze and the sound of nature like music to our ears. I smiled to myself. I looked at him and saw that he had his eyes close with a smile on his face too. Such a handsome face. A sudden vibration snapped me back to reality. I checked  the text and quickly packed my stuff up.

 

“Sorry Namjoon, but I have to go. I’m sorry if I’ve not been of any help, but here's my advice. Pursue a career that you have passion for. If you have passion to do music, then go ahead and try. No harm trying right! Unless you have the passion to be behind a desk for half a day for the rest of your life, then go do that. Just remember, pursue something you enjoy doing and it'll never be a burden.” I told him and smiled, “I hope you figure out what you want to do soon. Good luck!” Before he could say anything, I quickly turned away and began walking home.

 

"OH! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I turned and shouted before I left.

 

--

 

In the months and years after that, I never saw Namjoon anymore. He was merely just a stranger who once shared his deepest thoughts. I almost forgot about him until I decided to take another stroll in the park again. I headed to my usual spot when I noticed someone else there. I sighed and just took a seat at the bench beside my spot.  I took out my phone and began scrolling through twitter when I saw an article about a guy who just began pursuing music and has become the new artist that others had to look out for. There was a picture attached to the article and the guy had looked familiar. I clicked on the article and began reading. The article talked about the artist, Rap Monster, being one to look out for due to his different lyrics and rap. I continued reading until a paragraph caught my eye.

 

Q: So what made you pursue music?

A: I've always had a passion for music, but I never thought I could do it until I met a stranger at a park one day. We began talking and she encouraged me to go for what I had passion for. She reminded me that if I never try, I'll never know.

 

Q: So what is your ideal type of girl?

A: Hmm. I like a certain brand of shoes that has a star on it, Converse highs. I like girls who looks good in simply a white t-shirt, jeans and red Converse highs. It has to be red though!

 

I was shocked. That had been what I was wearing on the day I met Namjoon. Was he talking about me? I'm his ideal type? I continued reading and once again, I was oblivious to the fact that someone had occupied the spot next to me. I looked up to find myself face to face with a familiar stranger. I was stunned.

 

"Hi. It's been awhile Just Lily." Namjoon said with a smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

************

 

A/N:

Happy birthday to our favourite dork leader, Kim Namjoon! #happy랩몬day!

 

 

Anyway, this is my first fic about Rap Monster. I've heard about BTS for awhile now but I've never listened to their songs before. I was watching their MAMA performance when I got hooked to RapMon's rap. Thus, bias alert! I hope you like this fic!

 

Please comment your feedbacks!! Thank you! 감사합니다!