You; Again and Again

Crash Into You

“My heart keeps telling me that I shouldn’t let go of you, I should be greedy.”

Geu Deh Ji Geum, Lyn


this is a 9k of failed fluff, humor, and romance. you've been warned.

 

Eunji snuggled around her comfy bed when the alarm clock started to scream to make her awake. It’s her day off and she forgot to turn it off the day before. Her eyes slowly fluttered open when someone tapped her arm and asked hoarsely to Eunji to doze it off, so her hand went upward to the nightstand beside her bed to turn it off.

 

Eunji had some moments of daydreaming before she realized that voice belonged to a male – I live alone in my flat – and she abruptly sat up and turn to her left side.

 

Damn it, blame the hangover because she drank too much last night at Bomi’s birthday party, so she needed some moments to get her sense back by blinking several times and looked carefully at the person sleeping next to her.

 

It was a male.

 

A topless male.

 

It was a sleeping topless male – and to add more, he was “the one that got away” from Eunji’s life some years ago.

 

Eunji knew this was stupid, but she took a careful look on him, he was still all the same; high cheekbones that contrasts his sleepy eyes and full kissable lips, shoot, since when did this guy grow such firmed tone abs – Eunji shook her head, tried to wash away that dirty thought when the male moved a bit in his sleep.

 

Eunji felt so cold suddenly, that made her looking down to her body and found she was only wearing her sleeping gown and not the dress she wore to Bomi’s party. No way… It’s not happening isn’t it?it refers to the one night stand that Eunji has been not doing for a while.

 

But the situation…, Eunji widened her eyes in shock, couldn’t believe her mind that kept telling her that she might do it with this dude. “HUWAHHHHH!!!!”

 

Eunji yelled too loudly, enough to make the male snapped awake in sudden and sat up abruptly. “What, what?” he asked sleepily.

 

Eunji pulled the blanket to cover her body as she got on her heels, trembled because of the surprise and shock and maybe the beers that now in her blood system, she screamed. “YAH KIM JONGDAE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE—NO—I MEAN HOW THE YOU EVEN GOT HERE? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME! YOU… STUPID… ING… GUY!!!” Eunji threw anything that possible, included his shirt and his pants, the cushion, and Eunji had a thought to throw the chair on him but it was too heavy for her so…

 

The poor guy whined and tried to stand up as well, avoiding to be thrown carelessly. When Eunji had nothing else to throw at him, that guy let out a smirk that reminded her of an unneeded past that she wanted to erase the most.

 

“For a start, don’t you think you should start with a ‘hello, it’s been a while, Kim Jongdae’ to me?” he asked with a brow rose highly, up in the air.

 

How Eunji wanted to wipe that smug smirk away.

***

 Eunji waited impatiently for that male to finish bathing on her couch. She watched a cartoon channel which always accompanied her mornings and giggled silently. She was already bathed and now wore a comfortable oversized tee along with yellow shorts, chewing some popcorn.

 

When her bedroom door cracked open, Eunji intentionally turned up the volume, to avoid the male from asking or even breathing. Somehow she still wondered about what she did until she deserved a surprise like this. She prayed, she ate well, she never disobeyed, she followed the rules, hell, she even paid the taxes right on time. But why…? Why her? Why him. Kim Jongdae was the ex-boyfriend that successfully made her life miserable and please don’t let her start with how hard she struggled to move on. Korean dramas made up things such as; the possibility of having a decent guy to mend her broken heart after a bad guy torn it to million pieces.

 

But again, Eunji couldn’t help her heart not to pound when she sensed a steady breathing coming near her. Jongdae was standing behind her, eyes focused too on the screen. “I can’t believe you’re still watching cartoons…,” he chuckled softly. “You always start your day with watching Pororo in the past…” he continued and it made something tickled her insides.

 

So now he wanted to talk about the past, huh? Eunji shrugged nonchalantly and gave him a harsh comeback, “Well,” she chewed some caramel popcorn and glanced at him – how the he didn’t bother to wipe those droplets of water on his toned, firm abs – stop it Eunji, seriously, you’re getting very creepy now. “At least cartoons don’t break your heart,” she said rhetorically and it was enough to make Jongdae pressed his lips quiet.

 

Expecting Jongdae would be offended with her answer and decide to leave her flat as soon as possible, Eunji managed herself to get cozier with the couch. It’s a day off and she needed it. She didn’t need Jongdae to ruin her beautiful holiday. But instead, she found him only wearing his pants with towel slung on his shoulder, took a seat comfortably next to her and watched the TV as well. Shoot, he didn’t wear his shirt. At all. Was he teasing her or what? Oh, Eunji seemed to understand, maybe he wanted to show off because in past Eunji kept bugging him to work out so he would have such beautiful body. Now that he has it, he wanted to make sure that Eunji savor it before he left.

 

“Seriously, cartoons?” he asked casually – as if Eunji let him sit by her side and does the talking. “You’re about 25 this year and you’re still watching this…, SpongeBob?”

 

Eunji was stunned that Jongdae could tell her age correctly but then she remembered they were one year apart so it wouldn’t be so hard. He’s 26 and she’s 25, it’s easy, no need Math or Einstein to solve it. But his question offended her. “What’s so wrong about it? It’s not like you care about it…” Eunji said bitterly and looked away because she couldn’t stand his sharp gaze.

 

“Well yeah, I don’t care about you watching it…” Damn it really hurt when Jongdae said it for real. “… But it brings up memories,” he smiled cheekily and Eunji paused. She turned her gaze to Jongdae – that guy was smiling decently to her. Eunji just rolled her eyes.

 

“Don’t you think you should be somewhere as the time we’re talking? Your girlfriend may be furious if she finds out her boyfriend is sleeping around in his ex’s house.” Eunji tried to sound uncaring, which she succeeded. Well, she wouldn’t lie that she wanted to know about his love life.

 

“Nope, I have a day off today and no I don’t have a girlfriend to worry about me sleeping around with my ex.” He smiled. “What about you? Do you have a boyfriend that will be furious if he finds out his girlfriend is sitting beside a topless man which was once able to hug her anytime anywhere?” he asked playfully.

 

Eunji just shrugged slightly, didn’t answer his question because she thought he knew what the answer was exactly. So then Eunji stood up and cleaned the crumbs before she asked Jongdae, “Let’s cut the crap, shall we?” she waved her hand carelessly in the air. “Could you please, with cherries on top, explain to me how you ended up sleeping next to me, in my room, topless?”

 

For that question, Jongdae seemed displeased. He furrowed his brows in annoyance, “You didn’t remember?” he asked painfully.

 

“Do you think I’ll ask if I remember?” she bit back.

 

Jongdae pressed his lips into a thin line. “Okay…” he started.

***

Last night, Bomi’s birthday party.

 

Eunji pecked Bomi’s cheeks and hugged her, congratulating her with a bright smile as she greeted Bomi’s boyfriend, Minseok and joked to take care of Bomi even better, because a new year meant one more soju bottle can that Bomi could handle.

 

Eunji walked around to greet her old friends – Bomi’s party felt like a simple reunion after all. She met Taemin, the dancing machine in their school that now already happily married to a hoobae named Son Naeun, even though Taemin was talkative and jumpy, Naeun was calm and didn’t talk much. She met Kyungsoo too, a best friend of hers back in their school and now he was an heir of his father’s company. She met Hyejeong, Chanhee, and some more of their schoolmates. She had small chats with all of them, before later Bomi reached her and asked her for a peep talk.

 

“I think…,” Bomi hesitated. “I think I just saw Jongdae…” she told and Eunji had her eyes rounded. “He comes along with Chanyeol oppa and Baekhyun sunbaenim,” Bomi continued and mention her ex-boyfriend’s name. Back in their school days, Chanyeol and Bomi were the couple that people expected to get married right after she graduated from school. But turned out, they broke up in her graduation day, Bomi didn’t want to talk about it until today.

 

“YOU INVITED HIM?” Eunji almost hyperventilated.

 

Bomi quickly shook her head. “NO!” she nibbled her lower lip. “I did invite Baekhyun sunbaenim because you see… Minseok oppa is his boss and it will be rude if I don’t invite him. Baekhyun sunbaenim said he would come…, with some friends… I swear to God, Eunji, I didn’t even know he’s still in contact with them two.”

 

“Bomi…, I’m so sorry but I think I have to go! Yeah, I really have to go! I have to go before I die.” Eunji tried to flee but Bomi gripped her hands and stopped her doing so. She shook her head because she understood the look Bomi gave to her. “No, I can’t meet him! No. You know how much I hated that douche! No, please…., please just let me go…, you know how much I love you but this, I can’t let this happen. We can’t meet!”

 

 Bomi gripped tighter. “Listen to me, Eunji… You really need to listen to me. Stop moving, woman! You’ll ruin your dress!” Bomi almost screamed desperately, but remembering the situation was too chaotic, Bomi knew she needed to keep her temper.

 

Eunji closed her eyes. She almost cried. “No, for God’s sake, I will buy you anything, I even will accompany you to that strip club if you wanted me to…, just don’t make me do this.” Eunji’s voice cracked.

 

“No, you have to stay. I will make sure Kim Jongdae won’t see you. I swear. Just stay here, okay? You organized this party and you wanted to leave just because some unexpected guests?” Bomi shook her body. “Even if Kim Jongdae sees you later, make sure you have your shoulders straight and your head held up high. Make that Kim Jongdae feels like he’s sorry for losing such an amazing girl. He might be the one that got away, but make him know that you’re fine without him, like you’ve never brokenhearted before.” Bomi tried to encourage her.

 

Eunji fiddled her fingers. “I don’t think I can do this…,”

 

“You’re Jung Eunji! You can do this.” Bomi encouraged her with tapping her shoulders with a bright smile. They finally separated because Minseok found his girlfriend and wanted to introduce her to some of his friends.

 

Eunji mumbled silently. “I can do this,” she whispered much to herself and walked off, looking around. As far as she remembered, Park Chanyeol had long limbs that made him look so ing gorgeous in denim pants, so it meant she needed to stay alert if she finds anybody looked like a giant. And for Byun Baekhyun, if Eunji wasn’t mistaken, Baekhyun had that unique kind of laughter – he was loud too, so it meant Eunji had to avoid anyone that laughed too loudly.

 

She knew she was being anxious about things, but hey, she dated this back when they were in high school and their breakup wasn’t really decent. It made Eunji flushed pink every time she kind of remembered him. Even until today, Eunji didn’t have that courage to open their yearbook. Bomi once said her ex-boyfriend was listed as The Most Handsome Senior (Boy).

 

She looked around and huffed in relief when she saw nobody in particular – no high cheekbones, no loud laughter, and no tall giant. Eunji went to a booth and realized she was too immersed with the thought of How to Avoid Your Creepy Ex-Boyfriend 101 to know that she was thirsty. She smiled once she saw a cocktail and sipped it in one shot. It was very, very tasty and sweet. Eunji wanted more.

 

To shorten this part, Eunji has almost drunk for five glasses when her sight started to blur. She blinked several times but it’s no help. Damn, did the cocktail contain alcohol? Eunji would fall on her back because of her high heels, if only there wasn’t a hand to catch her waist to support her body not to fall.

 

“I got you.” the voice was familiar, but Eunji didn’t recall where she once heard it.

 

Eunji smiled to anyone, well it sounded like a guy, and tried to stand up but she failed. The guy held her waist and chuckled at her drunken acting, and it made Eunji frowned. “Did you laugh at me…?” she squinted her eyes but she couldn’t really see who he was.

 

“Nope,” he let out a playful smile. “Just amused.”

 

“Why you are…, amused…, nothing…, is amusing…” Eunji shook her head mindlessly and started to wave off her hands. That guy had the most enchanting laughter and Eunji felt so, so attracted.

 

“Um, what about this?” he proposed. “I’ll tell you what’s amusing as I send you home?”

 

Eunji shook her head. “I can’t!” she almost yelled. “You’re a stranger… My mommy doesn’t allow me to talk to stranger….” she hiccupped.

 

A smirk etched on his face. “I am not a stranger,” he confessed. “We used to know each other very well.” his index finger went upward to touch her lower lip. “I used to kiss these lips once upon a time…” he continued and Eunji just pouted.

 

“What’s your name then?” she asked, another hiccup.

 

Eunji swore she heard him answering, but it was all blur after that. All she remembered before her eyes fluttered close was that guy went to her fried – she believed it sounded like Bomi – and asked about where she lived. Bomi hesitated at first but because she still had guests to handle, so Bomi wrote down the address and made sure that guy wouldn’t do anything harmful to her or Bomi would have to kill him. She remembered that guy just chuckled and said her hands were too pure to touch him. Bomi just snorted.

***

Eunji narrowed her eyes in disbelief. She couldn’t believe Bomi handed her own very best friend to a wild tiger, while she knew it would hurt her best friend. She reminded herself to call and cuss at her best friend via call later.

 

She found the guy still had that same amused smirk at her, blame it on the alcohol so Eunji didn’t really sure it was all dreams or reality. He munched her popcorn and glanced up. Eunji wanted to smudge that face with her lipstick.

 

“So…,” Eunji sighed, somebody had to hire a bodyguard to remind her not to drink anymore. She really was willing to pay much for that. “… you naturally thought it’s right for you to stay the night here?” she raised a brow questioningly.

 

“You were a really cute whine last night, begged me not to leave. You even hugged me!” Kim Jongdae jeered jokingly and Eunji threw a cushion straight to his body – damn it, even the cushion was luckier than her, Eunji what the are you thinking?!

 

“I would never do that!” Eunji disagreed and Jongdae clicked his tongue. “I would prefer eat tons of garlic than beg you to stay with me.” Eunji said and Jongdae just laughed.

 

“Right,” Jongdae nodded. “You’d better be prepared for it. Once you remember what really happened, along with that whiny begging…, you will eat tons of garlic.” Jongdae smiled cheekily and Eunji threw another cushion. Yes, on his face. “Ouch, Eunji! After years of not seeing you, you’re being so violent!”

 

“Yep, it’s a new me.” Eunji stuck out her tongue, which Jongdae seemed to find it very cute and looked away. It’s a brand new episode of SpongeBob and she didn’t want to miss it. Eunji munched her popcorn and slapped Jongdae’s hand when that guy tried to have some.

 

“Stingy.” Jongdae muttered. They were watching the TV for almost ten minutes – questions were all over Jongdae’s mind, so were Eunji’s – before Jongdae finally spoke up. “What are you doing for living, by the way?” Jongdae asked, now he touched the photo frame on the table.

 

He let out a small smile seeing her pictures, she was still beautiful and didn’t change for any reason. Jongdae was easily could find her of all people came to Bomi’s party last night because she still got that charm to make anyone find her shining – but well, Jongdae wouldn’t lie to say that his ex-girlfriend get thinner than before.

 

“I run an event organizer,” Eunji replied curtly, her eyes wandered to the guy, she was worried he would do something at her pictures; let’s just say, teasing her maybe? Jongdae had that talent to piss off everyone with his mockeries.

 

“An event organizer, huh?” he asked after listened to that short reply. Jongdae nodded at himself. “Why I am not surprised, I always imagine you to be something related to public relations. You did amazing back when we were still at school, I remembered your perfect performance on our school’s art exhibition…,” he trailed off, didn’t continue because when he looked at her, that girl looked at him with a dark expression.

 

“Just…,” Eunji gulped. “Let’s just don’t talk about our past, shall we?” she suggested. “Past is a cruel mistress and I don’t really fond of our past, it’s something I really wish I could erase.” Eunji stood up and went for a glass of water in the kitchen, didn’t see how it pained the guy.

 

Jongdae was stunned hearing the female said that. Because really, after all these times, she still couldn’t let it go. He brought his steps closer to the female with an attempt to suppress his anger. Jongdae really missed her and he knew he did something awful back then, but couldn’t she just forgive him?

 

“Do you still hate me?” he asked, tried to sound nonchalant. “I begged for your mercy that time, Eunji, hundreds times, I begged you, and as long as I remember, you said you already forgave me.”

 

“You cheated on me, you !” Eunji screamed tiredly, she was exhausted for being reminded about it. “You cheated on me, you kissed someone else behind my back, after a ing month you said you wanted me to be a part of your ing life!” she jabbed her finger on his chest heartlessly, tried to control her tears. Eunji didn’t want to cry in front of a jackass like him. “And you think an apology is enough? An apology will mend my broken heart? What are you, Kim Jongdae? Five?”

 

Jongdae didn’t know whether he should come closer and hug her or put on his shirt and leave her flat. She was crying, damn it. Jung Eunji now was already burst in tears because Jongdae reminded her about their painful past. He swallowed hard and couldn’t stand another tear shed for him – for a jackass like him, Kim Jongdae knew he was an .

 

Back to when they were still in high school, Jung Eunji was a transfer from a state school in Busan. She was really awkwardly cute when she first introduced herself to everyone – Jongdae happened to be her classmate along with Yoon Bomi, her very best friend. She was way chubbier than she is right now, but there’s something tickled Jongdae’s attention, he wasn’t sure; was it her bangs that almost covered her eyes, was it her accent that makes everyone laugh, was it her kindness that stun Jongdae, or was it her preciously happy smile that makes his heart started to rush faster? – Jongdae wasn’t sure back then, but there was an urge that push him to do something about it.

 

Jongdae did finally have the courage to ask Eunji out. He asked her out for a stupid sightseeing to a game arcade, there where he found her played a real cool on Dance Dance Revolution
(DDR) which she danced to her favorite song that time, H.O.T.’s Candy. She laughed her heart out when Jongdae failed the game – but seeing her laughter, it blossomed his feelings to her.

 

Some weeks after that; after those stupid dates, texts, and calls – Jongdae finally had the courage to ask her to be his girlfriend. He remembered Eunji was widening her eyes but her cheeks turned rosy. She nodded heartily and it was finally a day to remember for both of them.

 

Have you ever felt it, like when you finally had that thing on your palm, you would start to get bored with it? That kind of happened to Kim Jongdae as well. After a month dating her, he felt somehow jaded. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were annoyed with his act but they knew there’s nothing they could do. It’s Jongdae’s life after all. They had no right to decide what’s the best for him.

 

But a friend got to do what a friend got to do.

 

So when Jongdae flirted to a junior one day, Chanyeol couldn’t stand still and just watch. Well, Chanyeol used to have that kind of feelings as well too, to Eunji, but chose to let Jongdae stepped up because he knew how well Jongdae would take care of her. Chanyeol went to Eunji and asked her to come because Jongdae did something bad.

 

Then well…, Eunji caught Jongdae red-handed, kissing to that junior – few days after, she transferred to another school because she couldn’t take the bullies the seniors did (which were Eunji’s friends). Jongdae begged for her forgiveness, he tried really hard.

 

Sorry always comes late, Jongdae knew it. Right after Eunji wanted to talk to him, she said that she forgave him already but wanted to call it quit. She broke up with him and swore not want to meet him for any occasion anymore. Eunji treated her very poorly; as if Jongdae never kissed her, as if Jongdae never mattered, as if Kim Jongdae never existed.

 

“Ah seriously,” Eunji muttered softly in the middle of her weeping. She glanced up to find Jongdae looked at her worriedly and hesitantly. As if he wanted to do something about her, but afraid Eunji might be angrier to him. So he just stood there wordlessly, waiting for Eunji to say anything. She wiped away her tears with her sleeve and blinked at him. Jongdae was still waiting for anything would slip out of her tongue. “I’m really sorry, I know this is rude…,” she gulped. “But can you…, can we…, not meet for any reason anymore? I don’t think I’m as ready as I think I would to meet you.”

 

A rejection is never nice, now Jongdae knew what it meant. He nodded slightly, he understood it was a nice way to ask him to leave, so he quickly went to her bedroom to grab his shirt. One minute later, Jongdae’s head peeked out of the room and his lips. “Hey, Eunji.” he called her.

 

“Hmm,” she hummed in response.

 

“Do you have a spare, like an oversize spare shirt I can borrow? My shirt is soaked wet…, and it kind of smells too…, I don’t think I can wear it right away. And you ask me to leave, like right now, but it’s quite impossible for me to get out half right? Or unless…,” he trailed off because he heard some sounds in the kitchen.

 

Eunji dropped her plastic glass with a jaw dropped on the ground.

***

Jongdae looked down on his borrowed shirt, it was the biggest shirt that Eunji could find but turned out it was too fitted his body. He had to start listen to Baekhyun, that guy kept asking him to stop working out because it wouldn’t be nice to look bulky – but Jongdae didn’t listen and ignore it like a fool. He smiled at the shirt, it was written whoever read this shirt is stupidly wasting their time.

 

Jongdae took out his phone and smirked at the name card that he stole inside Eunji’s room when he changed his clothes just now. He waited as it was dialing, and walked off, descended the stairs. His beam was brighter than the sun when the other line has picked up his call, “Noona! Are you still looking for an event organizer for your wedding…? Well yeah… I have a friend… And she is amazing… Nope…,” Jongdae shook his head and halted, smiling. “… She’s not just a girl that I slept with. She’s something better.” He intentionally pressed his tone on two last words with the widest smile.

***

Eunji never worked on wedding before. Birthday parties are her forte but weddings? She just handled one wedding, and more it’s for her cousin, so it didn’t really count, right? But then, a call from a female named Kim Soyeon, said that she wanted to meet Eunji for hiring her to be a wedding organizer and wouldn’t take a no for answer.

 

So here she is.

 

Looking dumbfounded as she looked around, waiting for her. Wait, she thought, it’s not a prank right, she knitted her brows. Well who knows, in this business Eunji also had friendemies and she had to be very careful if she didn’t want to lose costumers. Thinking that waiting for fifteen minutes were already enough, Eunji was about to stand up when a female guest approached her seat and asked, “Jung Eunji?”

 

Eunji blinked stupidly before she nodded and got back on her seat. This wasn’t a prank. That female looked beautiful with her high cheekbones and thin lips that now was rosy because of her lipstick, she got a pair of beautiful, sleepy eyes that reminded her to someone she disgusted the most and shook her head a bit – tried to wash away the thought of Kim Jongdae.

 

“I’m Kim Soyeon.” she introduced herself. “I’m going to be real quick and honest with you so you won’t be surprised and resign.” she looked straight at Eunji, “I have a wedding in three weeks, and I still don’t have an organizer that I could trust enough. Let’s just say that I’m a quite bridezilla…, in a horrible way and I really am a control freak…,” she said bluntly. “It’s because I want my wedding to be perfect—”

 

“Well, all of us want a perfect wedding,” Eunji muttered silently but it made Soyeon smiled.

 

She nodded in agreement. “I don’t care about the budget…, I just want it to be perfect.” Soyeon bowed lightly when her coffee was delivered on their table and it made Eunji somehow confused, when did she order? “… My boyfriend owns this coffee shop,” she said as if she could read her mind and Eunji flushed pink.

 

“But… I never said I will agree to do this,” Eunji knew she was being impolite – the unhappy frown on her face clearly showed it.

 

“My brother told me that you’re the best at this.” Soyeon replied, even though she was unhappy she still maintained that small smile. “I always trust my brother’s words. He recommends you to me anyway.”

 

“He?” Eunji looked flustered.

 

“Oh, I didn’t tell you?” Soyeon pointed her finger on Eunji. Eunji shook her head. “My brother said he went to same school as you…” he sipped her coffee before dropped the bomb dramatically, “It’s Kim Jongdae.”

***

Eunji couldn’t be more furious as she stepped in to the building and went to the receptionist. She wanted to say she was hoping to meet a ing , but it would be rude so she sighed and said that she wished to meet Kim Jongdae in flesh – so she could skin him off.

 

His sister mentioned that Kim Jongdae worked as a photographer for a famous magazine in South Korea. Not like she cared, but somehow it reminded her about their past, Jongdae was in school paper as a photographer as well. And Jongdae too confessed to her with some candid pictures he took about her. He always great at freezing the scenes, Eunji could tell.

 

“Jongdae is out for a photo session.” The receptionist said, smiled fully.

 

“Did he say when he will be back?” Eunji rushed. “This is an emergency,” Eunji added.

 

She just shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you more beside that… But um, he did say you are allowed to wait for him in his office if you want to. It’s on eighth floor, on your right.” she explained and Eunji just nodded, then went to the elevator along with some staffs there.

 

It took sometime before she got on eighth floor and looked on her right. There’s a door with Kim Jongdae’s name on it. Thinking that Jongdae allowed her to come in, she shrugged and went in to the room.

 

She sat on the couch as she looked around. This room just smelled like him. Eunji blushed, she remembered that she had to change her bed sheet because when Eunji slept on the pillow, she smelled male perfume instead her usual body mist. He has been smelled like this since high school, so maybe Jongdae never changed his perfume. Eunji inhaled as much as possible, because she knew even she hated him, he was right; it brings back memories.

 

Eunji yawned, sleepy because she was too exhausted for a preparation of a birthday. She looked around before glanced down on her watch. It’s still early evening, maybe she could take a nap for fifteen or twenty minutes.

 

So she took the cushion next to her, pulling up her legs and positioned her to get the best spot to sleep. In matter of seconds, the soft snores were heard like a lullaby.

***

Eunji woke up at the sound of typing things, her eyes slowly fluttered open and when she looked down on her body, a coat was covered her legs. She looked around and found Jongdae was sitting across her, eyes on the computer – Eunji was right, he was typing stuffs – with those thick brows furrowed.

 

When he accidentally averted his eyes, Jongdae muttered an “Oh, you’re awake.” and then he smiled to her. “I found you’re sleeping when I came in. Why, can’t sleep because missing me?”

 

Eunji threw the cushion on her grip. “You wish.” Eunji stuck out her tongue and Jongdae softly chuckled. She checked her wrist watch and widened her eyes. She’s been sleeping for five hours? “It’s 9 already?!” she widened her eyes.

 

“Yeah,” he nodded. “You’re too cute when you’re asleep. I’m afraid you may want to kiss me once I wake you up just like a Sleeping Bea—OUCH—Eunji!” he caressed his arm because Eunji threw another cushion. “You’ve been throwing too many cushions, haven’t you noticed?!” but his tone was playful even his face showed the opposite.

 

“Stupid,” Eunji cursed. As if she realized the reason why she was there, Eunji started her rant. “HOW DARE YOU! YOU ASK YOUR SISTER TO ASK ME TO ORGANIZE HER WEDDING, YOU GOOD-FOR-NOTHING HUMAN BEING!”

 

Jongdae just let out his lopsided smile. “Ah, you met her already. Is that why you wanted to see me, because I did that?” he raised a brow.

 

“Hell yeah,” Eunji nodded eagerly. “Your sister even added she only will use me if I work with you,” Eunji glared darkly at him. “This is your plan, isn’t it? Partnering us,” she pointed both of them, “so I have a reason to meet you while I shouldn’t even bother.” she harrumphed at the guy, who was just smiling saccharinely at her.

 

“Did you accept it, the offer I mean,” he added teasingly so Eunji wouldn’t get a wrong picture.

 

She blew some air to her bangs and clicked her tongue. “I shouldn’t have,” she said. “But someone threatened me with saying that he will talk badly about my jobs.” she looked so cute when she was angry. “And he is such a jerk, because instead saying right to my face, he used his sister to force me.”

 

Jongdae couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “You’re so cute when you’re mad like this!” Jongdae pinched her bridge of nose and Eunji widened her eyes. What has she done? What has she done?! Why did she didn’t pull away when Jongdae leaned closer?! Why are you so stunned with his charms?! Stupid! Stupid, stupid Eunji!

 

Eunji scrunched up her nose and frowned. “ you, Kim Jongdae.”

 

“Awww, your grammar is wrong, Eunji. It’s me, and I’ll take that invitation happily.” Jongdae cooed cheerily.

 

Another cushion was thrown.

***

Eunji walked as fast as she could to avoid Jongdae, but since they were reaching for elevator, so Eunji just stood still when the guy stopped behind her. The situation was too awkward but Eunji pretended like nothing happened.

 

“You look so pissed,” Jongdae tried to .

 

“ off, Kim. I hate you.” Eunji said without turning around.

 

Eunji could see from the stainless steel where the buttons at, Jongdae’s reflection showed him was smirking. Damn it, this guy was just very annoying even after all these years. When the elevator dinged open, Eunji went in to the corner and looked down on her phone, refused to look at Jongdae.

 

“It won’t be working. There’s no service in elevator.” Jongdae said, maybe only wanted to be kind and tell her the truth, but he didn’t know that it would be translated differently.

 

“I said off, are you deaf or what? Just…, stop teasing me.” She blushed, embarrassed because Jongdae with implying there’s no way for you to avoid me.

 

Jongdae just nodded and he started to hum some random songs. Eunji was staring at him when he unconsciously hummed to H.O.T.’s Candy. It brought back memories, too many memories. He then sensed that he was being stared at, so he turned his head and smiled when Eunji was caught staring. “Why, do you like what you see?” he raised a brow and Eunji pretended to puke.

 

That’s when the chaos happened.

 

The lights suddenly turned off and the elevator stopped working. Eunji widened her eyes in shock before she screamed loudly and pulled Jongdae to hug her. She has never been a fan of dark and Jongdae knew about it too. He just was there, stunned, and confused of what to do. Should I hug her back? Pat her head? Calm her down? But because he felt Eunji was trembling in his embrace, Jongdae decided to hug her back.

 

It felt so right; no space between them, the warmth, the beating hearts. Eunji fitted his height and Jongdae has always longing to do it one more time if he was given a chance.

 

“It’s okay, it’s okay…, I’m here with you.” Jongdae said repeatedly until it sounded like a mantra. Then he started to sing her songs, random songs just to please her ears and distract her attention to something else like, “… Did you know that Chanyeol liked you, back when we were at school?”

 

Eunji didn’t let go but she shook her head lightly. “No, I didn’t know. I have no clue.”

 

“Whoa, really?” Jongdae caressed her back, wanted to calm his girl. “He liked you, big time. He liked you so much, that’s why he was so happy when you broke up with me…,” he cackled. “But again, karma is a . I was so thrilled when I heard Chanyeol’s crush was just a one-sided love,” he continued.

 

Eunji couldn’t manage a word to say. She was just there, smelling the guy with her arms wrapped tightly on him. This was not good at all. Eunji found a place where she had the possibility to be addicted at. She was too embarrassed if she leaned away now. Seriously, how could an elevator suddenly stopped working like this?

 

Jongdae took out his phone and he cheered because he got one bar on his service. He quickly pressed a number and waited as it dialed. He talked to the security officers downstairs and he was being explained that a blackout happened and the generator was out of order, Jongdae quickly explained his situation and he smiled in relief when they said they would do something any minute.

 

“Whoa, still refused to let go? You’re so cute for a level of a cranky, cushion-thrower, rude, frowning ex-girlfriend if I’m not aware, I may think that you’re growing feelings to me.” he teased and earned a smack on his shinbone. He hissed in pain for a while before he put his chin over her head. “But it’s fine. I am thankful for the blackout…,” he said and if it wasn’t dark, Jongdae might tease at her rosy cheeks. “… Because it brings you to me, which won’t be happening if the situation is different,” he huffed. “Should I pray so the blackout stays longer?”

 

Eunji had prepared a harsh comeback, a very harsh one, but what slipped out of her tongue was “… You’re so, so stupid. I hate you.”

 

Jongdae chuckled. “You don’t. You need me.”

 

“,” Eunji muttered silently and he chuckled even louder.

 

So here they were, sitting side by side like lost children, waiting. Jongdae had his hands on Eunji’s as he continued humming. On a personal request, Jongdae now hummed to Lyn’s song, a soundtrack of a very popular Korean drama, Full House. The part he sang right now was like a playful mockery to her, it was like he wanted to see how she responded. The girl looked up to him, it was so dark so Eunji couldn’t tell how he looked like right now; was he embarrassed, was he remained calm, was he stealing glances to her.

 

Your love that came accidentally, it wasn’t strange at all

But I didn’t know our promised fate would become love

Sometime later, I have to send you away

But I don’t have the confidence to do that

 

“Are you still afraid?” Jongdae asked, in the middle of singing he took a break and cleared his throat. “I’m here, you know.” he shrugged and Eunji felt his body shifted closer. “I think…, this blackout wants to tell you something.”

 

“Tell me what?” Eunji furrowed her brows.

 

“To accept the fate and just be my partner, come on…,” he nudged her jokingly. “It’s not like the hardest task to do. I won’t even do anything to you.” Jongdae offered, tried to sound very persuasive.

 

Eunji shook her head firmly. “Over my dead body.”

 

“Then the lights won’t turn on,” Jongdae shrugged coolly and then continued humming the song.

 

Eunji looked so confused yet annoyed right now. She was confused because why heart beat faster than how it supposed to be? She was annoyed because how could Jongdae ask something in the middle of things like this? “Yah, Kim Jongdae. Are you always like this? Do you think it’s cool? Playing around with somebody’s fear? It’s stupid, it’s rude. You will be punished by heavens, believe me. This is your entire fault, you’re so dumb and so annoying, and why do you even suggest your sister to use my ser—”

 

Eunji couldn’t even bother to continue because the next thing happened was Kim Jongdae turned his head to her direction and pulled her nape closer. Without removing his hand, Jongdae claimed her lips with his, effectively shut her up. It was maybe a minute or two, or maybe more, Eunji couldn’t tell, but she felt her heart was about to burst out of her ribcage.

 

And then the lights suddenly , with some people from the maintenance successfully opened the elevator door. Eunji pushed him away and her fingertips touch her lips.

 

“Are you okay, boss?” the security officer that Jongdae called asked him worriedly. “I’m sorry it takes so long to contact them.”

 

Jongdae merely smiled. Eunji did exactly the same as well.

***

Eunji had no choice other than accepting Jongdae to help her, because his sister was literally already hypnotized with Jongdae’s smile. She said if Eunji refused, she would find another event organizer. Eunji was lured with the fact that Kim Soyeon would let her to do anything she wanted as long as her wedding would be a total perfection. It’s not a difficult thing to do, remembering the most expensive things would always serve the best.

 

Having Jongdae around was awkward at first, even more when Bomi once visited her with a box of delicious cupcakes to find Jongdae was there, having a normal talk with the petite girl. Bomi thought Eunji might be sick because she just crossed her own promise of not seeing him, and it worsened when Eunji tried to explain the situation.

 

“Ooohhhh, he’s smart.” Bomi nodded teasingly. “He’s great at trying to find a reason to meet you, Eunji…, I think you should try too if you’re afraid to lose him.”

 

Eunji pinched her waist. “I am not afraid of losing him!”

 

“Ummmmmm,” Bomi cooed before she chuckled. “Your face shows lie, lie, lie. You’re happy to have him around, right?” she elbowed her humorously. “It’s okay. Minseok oppa asked Baekhyun sunbaenim, and he said Jongdae oppa has changed.”

 

“Impossible.” Eunji snorted.

 

“He hasn’t dated anyone after you.” Eunji was surprised at this. “Baekhyun sunbaenim said Jongdae might be traumatized of you, he’s afraid to start a steady relationship because of his broken past…, which was with you.” Bomi stole a look at Jongdae, that guy was choosing flower bouquet for his sister, face serious and knitted brows were clearly seen. “… Just don’t too prideful of yourself and start to enjoy things around you while you can. You might not want to skip that,”

 

Eunji didn’t say anything, she just stole a glance at him before she sent Bomi off. She bit her lower lip in doubt. Should she really try to give him another chance? Jongdae never asked her about it, at all, but he still seemed interested about her life. One time, Jongdae was overly jealous to her co-worker, Minhyuk, because stating from his opinion, you are standing too close with him, aren’t you tired looking up at him all the time?

 

“Hey, Jongdae…” Eunji called his name and the guy just raised a hand, telling that he’s listening to whatever Eunji wanted to say. Eunji inhaled and exhaled for some times before she asked. “… Do you want to accompany me for lunch?”

***

“Hello?” Eunji picked up a call when she was in the middle of listing songs for the band. No answer. “Hello?” she repeated.

 

“Roses or lilies?” a familiar sound popped out a question that made Eunji smiled even for the slightest.

 

“How did you get my number?” Eunji asked confusedly. Unlike the number that on her name card, this one only used for private relationships only; families, best friends, co-workers, anyone but Kim Jongdae.

 

“Oh come on!” he clicked his tongue. “Please don’t ruin the moment and just answer my question.”

 

Eunji smiled to herself. “Um, depends?” she tried to disturb that guy again.

 

“I’m seriously hanging up now,” Jongdae sounded desperate but somehow he knew he wouldn’t.

 

“Okay, okay,” Eunji finally surrendered. “I’ll choose roses. What’s with it, anyway?”

 

“Well, it means I don’t need to go back and buy you lilies,” Jongdae said and Eunji could sense the guy was smiling on the phone, “Turn around.” he continued.

 

Eunji did what he asked…, only to find Jongdae was standing, lean and tall, complete with the cheeky smile and high cheekbone, his white shirt was able to trace his firm body and the black pants suited his long legs. In short, he was mesmerizing. And to add his charms, his hand now held a bouquet of red roses.

 

Eunji wanted to cry, literally.

 

Jongdae stepped closer and his beam was wider seeing Eunji was speechless. He reached out his hand to pinch her cheek and successfully scored a smack by the strong female. “You’re still ruthless,” Jongdae joked and Eunji just rolled her eyes. “Here,” she looked down on the flowers. “Congratulations, you chose the right answer.” Jongdae handed the bouquet and Eunji blinked stupidly on that.

 

“Thank you…,” she muttered silently and Jongdae just nodded excitedly. Eunji might not realize this but she didn’t pull away or step back when Jongdae was just an inch away. Well, it meant great, right? Eunji still do that pull-push moves on him, but she now slowly started to let Jongdae invade her space – well maybe because Jongdae was too persistent, but heck he didn’t care. All he cared that now Eunji was smiling at the roses he bought.

 

“So, how’s my sister’s wedding so far?” Jongdae asked, looking around the ballroom his sister would use to hold her after party. Jongdae clicked his tongue, mostly in amazement, because Eunji did perfect. The decorations, the flower pots just like his sister requested, the candid pictures of the couple, and Eunji even added some details on the food lists. Jongdae knew he was right to promote his ex-girlfriend to his sister.

 

“It’s fine.” She replied.

 

Fine?” Jongdae widened his eyes. “Damn it, Eunji, you made it so, so flawless! Wait until Soyeon noona checks this place. She will ask you for a coffee right away…, or maybe she will offer you a place to be her maid of honor.”

 

“That’s impossible.” Eunji shook her head.

 

“For you, nothing is impossible,” Jongdae knew he sounded so cheeky whenever he’s around her but he’s too happy to care, he smiled at her widely.

 

He didn’t expect for Eunji to smile back to him before opened her notebook. It was a mini heart attack, to be honest. “Anyway, what will you do tomorrow afternoon?”

 

“Tomorrow afternoon…” Jongdae tapped his finger on his chin as he remembered his plans for tomorrow. “Well, I have a photo session in morning but I’ll manage to get back to my office before 5. How’s that sound?” he offered.

 

Eunji furrowed her brows as she wrote down the information. “… Then it means we have to hurry to go to the tailor,” she puffed her cheeks.

 

“Tailor?” Jongdae blinked confusedly. “Why should I go to tailor? And weren’t you asking me out when you ask what I will do tomorrow…?”

 

Eunji was stunned hearing Jongdae’s last question. “We go to tailor so you can try the tuxedo your sister has been ordered…,” she smiled thinly seeing Jongdae’s hunched shoulders, poor kid, he must be expecting Eunji to ask him out. If only there’s something he could do to wipe that sadness away…. “And…,” Jongdae glanced up at her. “If we still have time after that, I think we can have dinner together.” Eunji knew she couldn’t help to look away when his eyes met hers on the air. “How’s that sound?” she repeated Jongdae’s question.

 

Jongdae’s beam washed Eunji’s tiredness away in a matter of seconds. “Okay!” he exclaimed happily.

***

Their relationship grows – Eunji noticed this. Eunji realized that she started to open up herself whenever Jongdae came to her. All the lunches, the unexpected calls, the endless texts, and the distance that slowly faded away – Eunji couldn’t believe she could reach this whole new level now.

 

Like right now, Eunji had the urge to surprise Jongdae. Just like what she did before when they were in Cold War, now Eunji wanted to surprise him again, in a friendly way. Eunji has bought red velvet cake, Jongdae’s favorite and coke. She chuckled to herself, imagining the startled Jongdae. That guy might have the brightest smile after that and he maybe would talk about them – Eunji blushed at the last noun.

 

Eunji’s heart beat rapidly as soon as she got near to his office. The thoughts of Jongdae would be so surprised, maybe didn’t think or imagine that the female would come to his office again after their little incident inside the elevator…, Eunji couldn’t picture how exactly he would respond to this.

 

Slowly, Eunji opened the knob and she heard Jongdae’s voice. Excited, Eunji opened it and her eyes widened.

 

Jongdae hugged a girl. It was so, so intimate because Jongdae let her head settled on his chest. She tightened her grip on the plastic bag as she heard the girl was calling him oppa cutely and even though Jongdae didn’t say anything, he also didn’t do anything about it. It seemed like he enjoyed, he liked, and he let the girl.

 

“Oh, oppa.” That girl glanced up to find Eunji was staring at them, without loosening it a bit – as if she wanted to show her that Jongdae was hers – she continued, “You have a guest,”

 

Jongdae turned around and his eyes widened in horror. Eunji dropped the cake carelessly and ran as soon as possible to the elevator. Jongdae, he pulled away quickly and ran after her. He had his hope high because Eunji was still there, waiting for the elevator reached their floor.

 

“Eunji, I can explain… Please listen to me,” Jongdae had this pang inside his heart when Eunji yanked her hand away off him. “Eunji, please… Please, you need to listen to me. I can explain. Eunji…,” he trailed off, Eunji was crying silently.

 

“I thought you’ve changed.” Eunji muttered tremblingly.

 

“I have,” Jongdae couldn’t think of any better way to calm her down. “I have changed. Damn it, Eunji…, please stop crying. I’ll do anything… But please, I beg you, please don’t cry.”

 

“How, how do you expect me to not cry when the reason I’m crying is you?” Eunji stormed in to the elevator and Jongdae didn’t come in because Eunji definitely not want him to.

 

“Eunji…,” he begged. “We can talk about this…,”

 

Eunji shook her head. “No. I don’t want to have any conversation with you in any term.”

 

With that, the elevator was closed and Jongdae felt half of his life was also taken away. He couldn’t do anything, so he just leaned his back against the cold wall as he smacked his head. Stupid, stupid Jongdae.

***

Eunji knew Bomi has been staring for quite a while. That girl was always an angel, Eunji knew it. She canceled her date with her fiancé just to buy Eunji a box of donuts, Eunji’s favorite, and a box of chocolate ice cream. That angel came to her apartment and hugged her as soon as she saw her.

 

Bomi asked Eunji to just quit and find another job, but Eunji refused. She was professional, she couldn’t mix her feelings and business, that’s not how she does. Eunji wrote down about the details Kim Soyeon has personally asked her to do with that swollen, puffy eyes. The wedding is on three days and Soyeon definitely turned into a bridezilla, she freaked out because the catering was late and groom’s best man, aka Kim Jongdae, suddenly asked to be replaced.

 

“You are pathetic.” Bomi slipped out the word that she has been holding ever since.

 

“I am not.” Eunji bit back, wiped her nose with her sleeve.

 

“You are,” Bomi pointed at her. “If not, tell me. What is so hard of quitting? It’s not like you’re blood related to this bride anyway. You can find other clients…, and with your reputation, it’s not impossible to have one in a blink of eye,” Bomi said. “You’re such a hypocrite.”

 

Eunji was definitely offended with that word. “I am not.”

 

“You are. You stay because you expect Jongdae to come and ask you to talk, right? Because you care about him…, no you don’t care about him. You love him.” Bomi pressed her tone and Eunji was stupefied. “You think that if you stay and if later Jongdae wants to talk to you, you can settle your heart and hear him. Why? Because you love him,” she pushed Eunji lightly on the shoulder.

 

“I am not!” Eunji knew her respond was too soon, because Bomi then smirked at this.

 

“What’s so wrong about admitting that you’re into him? It’s neither a crime nor a sin. You can always say that, as easy as I admit that I used to be madly in love with Park Chanyeol but we broke up because his heart wanted you not me.” Bomi said bitterly.

 

Eunji widened her eyes. “… What?”

 

“I never tell because I don’t want to remember. I don’t want to feel hurt. I don’t want that to ruin what we have all these times.” Bomi shrugged, it seemed she still didn’t like to talk about it. “Just like him, Eunji. Don’t let this misunderstanding ruin what you actually have for him. You can always hear him to explain.”

 

“He didn’t even call me.” Eunji muttered sadly. “He didn’t contact me after that. I was waiting, I was expecting, but look…,” she showed Bomi her phone. “Nothing, he didn’t bother to talk to me. I was right…” she sobbed, “… he’s still a jerk. He can’t change. It runs in his blood not to be loyal.”

 

“But do you want to talk to him?” Bomi asked, a brow rose in curiosity. “Talk, okay? No slap, no hits, no screams.”

 

Eunji nodded.

 

“Great!” Bomi clapped her hands in excitement. “He’s outside, waiting for you. Come out and talk!” Eunji was forced to stand up and being pulled to the door. When Bomi opened it, she was right – Jongdae was standing in front of her apartment, looked as bad as hers with those eye bags and messy hair.

 

Somehow Eunji felt happy because she made him look like that.

 

In a matter of second, Eunji was locked out with Bomi giggling inside her apartment. Damn it, she looked so horrible with these pajamas and bed hair. She looked everywhere but his eyes. Eunji was nervous.

 

“That girl has a crush on me,” Jongdae spoke up and it caught Eunji’s attention. “She kept bugging me even though I’ve told her repeatedly that I’m taken…,”

 

“No, you’re not.” Eunji disagreed right away and she covered with her hands, blushing.

 

Jongdae just chuckled. “Soon, I hope,” he shrugged slightly. “I told her that I’ll be meeting you in sometime but she kept forcing me to open my heart for her. She once saw your picture—”

 

“—what picture?” Eunji cut him off.

 

“Um, I once took a candid picture of you when you were working?” Jongdae said very, very carefully, just in case Eunji suddenly thought Jongdae was a stalker and report him to the cops. “But yeah, it was the only picture I have I swear.” he added.

 

“What did she think about me?” Eunji asked, hands crossed against her chest.

 

“She thought you are nothing compare to her…, well she is a model and you’re just a normal person, she said that to me. But because I was being so stubborn and refused to have any kind of relationship with her, she hugged me. My mom and my sister said never use harsh ways to refuse a person, and I thought… yeah, you can laugh, I’m a mama’s boy.” He rolled her eyes because Eunji couldn’t help not to cackle. “… I thought if I ask her to let go, it will make her feel bad and rejected…, so yeah… I was the kind of let her.”

 

“That’s when I came in…” Eunji huffed.

 

“Yeah, that’s when you came in…” Jongdae parroted. “Look, if you don’t want to see me, it’s okay, I understand. Bomi said I have a shot but I ruined it, big time. I’m so sorry for hurting you, again, but trust me, give me that last chance and I swear I will make you the happiest person. I won’t ever, ever ruin it.”

 

Eunji looked at Jongdae with hopeful eyes. Bomi was right, why in the hell that girl was always right? She stayed because she wanted to be around Jongdae. She stayed because even it hurt her, she wanted to see him. Bomi was right; Eunji loved him. Even after he got away from her life some years ago, she still loved him.

 

Jongdae couldn’t promise her heavens, Eunji was aware about it. But when he slowly pulled her waist closer and she didn’t complain, Jongdae knew he was given another chance, a last chance that he wouldn’t ruin it for any reason.

 

“You’re so stubborn,” Eunji commented when Jongdae now fully embraced her. “I don’t remember I said you’re forgiven.”

 

He chuckled, the usual chuckles that made Eunji happy because she was the reason for his laughter. “It’s called persistent…,” he said. “… and hardworking.” he smiled and leaned his face closer to hers, enough to touch her flat, cute nose. “We will start over, from the start. And this time will be different, I promise.

 

When Jongdae claimed her lips, it felt like the very first time of being kissed by the male. It was sweet, as sweet as the promise he proposed. It was a sign from their happy love story.

 

But yeah, seems like the best man would need a backup to avoid his sisters’ scary stares because there will be a sudden change of the maid of honor, because seriously; how could his sister chose her friend over her soon-to-be sister-in law? :)