002 [ Coming Down With Something ]

Ultimate Advantage

Despite my dislike for the man, I'll admit - I was starving. So, I had eaten everything on the plate with as much of a poker face as I could muster. I am indifferent. 

He did not as much try to start a conversation. He's just sitting there, watching me getting ready to leave. I put on my battered shoes and step outside the very pretty house (it must be hundredfold the size of my apartment) without as much a thank you nor an acknowledgement of his presence. I didn't ask for him to do this, anyway.
I silently thank whatever being in the universe allowed for me to satiate my hunger, albeit temporarily. 

I brisk walk all the way to the end of the front lawn - what kind of house had a lawn so wide yet unused? Apparently, this one. I roll my eyes at all the space wasted by the green expanse of grass. Expensive grass, whatever. I walk a little further when I hear the heavy doors of the house open. 

"My name is Sehun!", I hear the guy say while he peeked his head outside the door.

I look at his eyes again. I swear I felt bile push up against my throat. Gag. His eyes look at me with sympathy that looked sincere sincere. I pout my mouth to the left and shrug at him. Then, I left.



"I was just.. there", and a thumb pointed in the general direction of the gated community, is all of the explanation I give to my mom about last night's wherabouts. I walked to the kitchen a glass of water and time to think through the flurry of yesterday's events.
I was rejected
I was humiliated
I fell apart
But I was also picked up from it, literally.
And I am outraged - less about the guy helping me out, and more about the way he did it. I bring the back of my palm to my forehead. It's slightly hot, but mother can't know that. I gulp down the rest of the water - hastily, in a manner that caused some to spill over the sides of my mouth. That dude does not understand my situation. He looks exactly like the sort of people that stepped on me. He physically resembles them. I feel like he is the embodiment of the trifecta that is sweet, cunning, and smart. Not the sort of rich person I am looking for.

I scoff at my own thoughts. I have really hit a new low, haven't I.




Having given myself one day to cool off and refresh (if you can call it that), it's the middle of the week and I try my hand at a job opening once more. It's less chilly today, so I'm dressed in just a sweater and cutoff jeans. I tied my hair into a ponytail to look "more presentable" in the eyes of a future employer. The way to this particular job opening is not a ways away - only two block and a curb to walk.

A small distance down the road I hear door chimes clinging as people walk through the doorway. The sound slightly relaxes my nerves. I look down and smile as I walk. Something really small and yellow catches my eye -  a flower along the side of the road. It doesn't look like a flower that's been trampled onto the ground. It's growing. Odd, considering the current season. I'll take this flower as a personal sign of good luck, just to make me confident about the upcoming interview.

I crouch down and pluck the flower from the ground, taking all of it including its roots.
I'll put this in a jar when I get home.
I stand back up and see that my destination is only a curb away now. I jog to the turn and round the corner, only to find myself on my , on the ground, holding the flower in the air in an attempt to keep it from being torn apart by whatever I had just bumped.

"Fancy seeing you here"

Knowing my luck, I shouldn't be surprised to see who is standing right in front of me, holding his hand out for me to take. Being rational, I take it so that I would be rebalanced on my two feet. I realize that this guy is taller than I thought. 

"What brings you here?", he interrogates. I'm a little irked by his showing of concern, but I reply.
"Going to a job interview"

He clucks his tongue and smiles at me. "Well, good luck, miss..", he trails off in a questioning tone. Oh, he doesn't know my name. I think can tell him. He might have good connections.

"Kimi"

"Kimi. Good luck", he finishes his sentence and salutes at me before going on his way.

"Thank you, S-seokhun.", I think that was his name. And I think I heard him laugh as he walked around the curb. It made me smile a little.

However, I felt a small wave of dizziness tap on my head. It recurred after a few seconds, stronger. The third time that it hit, I instinctively let out a yelp, "Ah!". I pressed my hands onto both sides of my temples. Seokhun must have heard me, because reappeared in front of me.
He made a grab at my hand, to which I tried to sidestep. Due to my current state, I failed.
"Oh..crud", he uttered. "You're running a fever. I'll take you back home. Where do you live?" 

In my dizzy stupor, I told him the exact door number.

 




[A/N]

Sort of a filler chapter, hence the lack of events. Sort of. There are a few important things here. Is your eye keen enough? ;)

- Eunice