Jinyoung and His Boy in White

Bright Lights

“Im Jaebum! Breakfast!” Jaebum woke up to the feeling of Jinyoung shaking his arm and the smell of kimchi fried rice. He would've ignored him, just kept on sleeping, but he didn't. Or more likely, he couldn't.

"Wake uuuuup, J-boy! Jinyoungie's fried rice is to die for!" Jackson, Jinyoung’s boy in white, whined in his ear. The boy was on his right side, an annoying pout on his lips.

Jaebum wanted to dive back to his bed, but Jinyoung’s boy in white wouldn't allow that. "I'm up, I'm up. I'll just wash up," he grumbled as he pushed himself up the bed.

"I'll see you in the kitchen." Jinyoung says as he leaves the room and closed the door.

Jackson was still leaning over to Jaebum, forehead wrinkled. Jaebum hated the feeling like he was being judged.

"Did you need anything?" Jaebum whispered because it wouldn't do well if Jinyoung heard him talking alone. He stepped off the bed, hoping Jackson would leave already.

Jackson only said, "Mark said you didn't sleep well last night."

Jaebum almost froze at the name, almost because he caught himself. He just continued to the bathroom in his room and closed the door. Jackson didn't follow and didn't say anything so he hoped he was off the hook for now.

While Jaebum was brushing his teeth, he felt the prickle of guilt. Ever since that night, the night that ended up with Jaebum fainting, he and Mark hasn't spoken much. One, because Jinyoung decided he will temporarily move in with Jaebum to make sure his hyung was alive and second, because Mark always looks at him sadly that it irritates Jaebum to no end.

(Third and last because Jackson, Jinyoung’s boy in white, always seems to be speaking enough for all of them.)

 

Jinyoung has the table set up for the both of them, rice and side dishes all in their proper place. Jaebum doesn't take note of proper table setting so he sometimes still feels awkward when he sees Jinyoung’s set up.

"You're finally up." Jinyoung said, an eyebrow raised at his choice of clothes. Jaebum was wearing his Bart shirt today, it was comfortable so he doesn't care that he was being judged.

"Thanks for the food, but you really don't have to do this. I can take care of myself." It was the usual conversation every morning, Jaebum always brings it up to make sure Jinyoung doesn't forget.

Jinyoung snorts as he picks up his chopsticks, ignoring Jaebum and proceeded to eat.

Jaebum took a peek at his right, Jackson was sitting on the vacant seat alone today. When Jaebum looked around, looking for his Angel, he didn't find any trace of him.

Jackson took pity of him finally and said, "He's out. Figured I could take care of you and Jinyoungie for today."

Jaebum wanted so ask where did he go or how could he abandon me  but didn't because he didn't like that he sounds clingy and also because Jinyoung was watching him again. Sadly his friend has this annoying trait of being a great observer.

So Jaebum gives Jinyoung a smile, "Anything wrong?"

Jinyoung rolls his eyes, "Start eating before I start feeding you, hyung."

Jaebum hears Jackson's cackles of laughter but he decided not to look. He picks up his spoon and started eating, distracting himself from his missing Angel.

 

 

Jinyoung didn’t leave the house today, busy studying on the dinner table with books spread out in front of him. Jaebum was oddly jealous of his friend's concentration, almost wishing he had the same.

"Stop staring at my Human!" Jackson scowls beside Jaebum, arms folded in front of his chest. "Find a different Human!"

Jaebum almost scoffs loudly, wanting to snap at Jackson. He doesn't understand why Jackson was so attached to Jinyoung when his friend couldn't even see his Angel.

(Unlike you, a voice in his head says but he chose to ignore it.)

"Jinyoung is mine." Jackson said softly, a huge difference from earlier. It had Jaebum glancing and saw an expression on his face that he didn't know what to call.

Jackson saw Jaebum staring and he smiled. Jaebum wanted to ask, he had a lot to ask but he didn't know how with Jinyoung always in the same room.

"Jinyoung is mine." Jackson whispers again, eyes trained at Jinyoung’s form. "You wouldn't understand. Only Mark understands. Even Yugyeom and Bambam wouldn't understand, like how I don't understand them."

Jaebum doesn't ask then, just lets himself forget.

 

Mark arrives just a few minutes before Youngjae does, his Angel dragging Jackson to a far corner of the room, talking in hushed voices again. Jaebum hates it.

Youngjae arrived with the two Angels in tow, both grumbling as they walked over to Mark and Jackson.

"Any news, hyungs?" Youngjae asks, placing pieces of composition books on the table beside Jinyoung’s own Psychological books lay.

"Jaebum hyung can probably go back by Monday. He hasn't fainted the past 3 days." Jinyoung immediately said, talking as if Jaebum couldn't hear. "He sometimes stares at nothing for long periods of time, though."

Mark looked up when he heard what Jinyoung said, a frown on his beautiful face. He looked over at Jaebum worriedly before returning to his conversation with Jackson.

"What does that mean, hyung?" Youngjae looked worried and Jaebum hated it when his dongsaeng is. He has always been the one to take care of Youngjae so he feels helpless when he's the reason.

Then Jaebum realized that Youngjae could be in a worst state than being worried for him right now. If Mark didn't interfere, didn't save him, Youngjae would be mourning instead.

"Let's watch over him for a few more days then decide what to do, okay Youngjae?" Jinyoung placed an arm around Youngjae's shoulders and rubbed his back.

"You guys speak as if I'm not here." Jaebum finally said, a little miffed.

Jinyoung turns to him, "Are you really here, hyung? Or would you keep staring at the corner of the room right there?" There's a challenge in his eyes and Jaebum knew he wouldn't win this match at all.

"You're mean." Jaebum finally answered and Youngjae laughs.

Youngjae immediately moved to sit beside Jaebum, wrapping his arms around his hyung's waist and snuggled to his arms. "Hyuuuung, you know we love you right?" Youngjae looks up at him with wide eyes.

Jinyoung was fighting a smile and Jaebum hates how his heart immediately softened at the boy’s affection. Choi Youngjae does that.

"Fine, fine. Whatever." Jaebum finally smiles, patting Youngjae's head and ruffling the bangs.

"You'll tell Jinyoung hyung and I if there's any problem, right Jaebum hyung?" Youngjae pushes, eyes still looking at him with worry.

Jaebum heard Jackson's cackles and the faint whispers of Youngjae's two Angels talking to Mark. He almost sighs, conflicted feelings overwhelming. Should he tell them the truth?

"I will, I promise." Jaebum couldn't tell them in the end.

"It's not nice to lie, J-boy!" Jackson's voice immediately boomed and Jaebum almost cringed. He saw Mark swat the boy’s arm.

Jaebum lets it sink in that Jackson was right, he is lying.

 

Jaebum couldn't sleep again.

There's this tendency for his brain to overthink everything and toss ideas through the night. He keeps on wondering what was happening, but each idea was probably worse than the last.

Has he gone mad and is just imagining everything?
Does he really see and talk to Angels like what Mark said? What is Jinyoung to Jackson?
What did Jackson mean that only Mark understands him?

But, really, there's one thing that Jaebum is wondering the most.

What does Mark saving him from his death mean?

Jaebum hates how he has so many questions and no answer at all.

 

Jaebum woke up from a warm hand on his arm, shaking him slightly. He blinks and sees a fuzzy image of blonde hair leaning over him.

"Hmm?" he grumbles.

"Jinyoung left your food in the refrigerator and you're supposed to eat breakfast now." The voice, deep and relaxing, tells him.

"Okay." Jaebum just nods, burrowing deep under his blanket again.

"You need to eat, Jaebum-ah."

Jaebum snapped his eyes open, a weird current ran through him as he heard his name called in that voice. He looked around and saw no one.

Mark.

His phone says it was 10:26AM and there were already 4 missed calls from Jinyoung and 12 from Youngjae. He should probably get up now.

 

Mark was on his usual corner of the room when Jaebum finally entered the kitchen. Surprisingly the food was already laid out on the table, steaming hot and ready to be eaten. His Angel didn’t say anything, not acknowledging it so Jaebum doesn't.

Halfway through his meal, just as Jaebum was sipping on the bean paste jjiggae, the silence was broken.

"I'm sorry." Mark said quietly that if Jaebum wasn't paying attention, he wouldn't have heard.

Jaebum looks up and sees Mark leaning over the wall. "Sorry?" he echoes.

Mark nods, not looking at him. "I don't know what I'm sorry for, but I am." The voice was his, deep and calming as if water rushing through a stream.

"For saving me?" He couldn't help but ask.

"For what happened because I saved you." Mark corrects him, feet shuffling a little.

Jaebum nods, not knowing what to say to that.

There was awkward silence before Mark spoke again. "Every Angel doesn't know when their Human dies. Contrary to popular belief, it's not fixed and your death can definitely be changed."

Jaebum hums, letting the boy know he was listening.

"But for every Human, you'll see one thing before your death. That's fixed, the only thing that's fixed and that's how we know your time was up. Really up." Mark stands up straight, "Angels do not save Humans from death, Jaebum-ah. We save our Humans from the spirits that wants to hurt you."

Jaebum doesn't understand.

"I wasn't supposed to interfere with your death, Jaebum-ah." Mark shook his head, blonde hair swaying with the movement. "Tell me, what did you last see?"

Jaebum tried to recall that specific day, it was cold and raining. Throughout the street is white as the rain washed over the streets of Seoul. There were only few people around, then he remembered one thing.

He didn't have to think for long because he knew, he already knew.

"Mine is bright lights, isn't it?"

Mark just smiles sadly, eyes bright with unshed tears.

 

Jaebum was working on a song, eyes concentrated on the notes in front of him when he remembered something. Mark was on the corner, leaning on the wall as he watched over Jaebum.

"What is Jinyoung to Jackson?" Jaebum asks directly, not really knowing how to beat around the bush.

Mark didn't look surprised and instead has a small smile on his lips, "Jinyoung is Jackson's." he tilted his head to the right, "You wouldn't understand, Jaebum-ah."

Jaebum hated that Jackson and Mark said the same thing. "Jackson said that only you understands him."

"Of course I understand." His Angel just looked away again, "Jackson is Jinyoung’s boy in white. That's all you need to know."

"But--"

"I'll fix this mess, I promise."

Jaebum stared at Mark's conflicted stance. He couldn't see the boy’s eyes, but his whole stance says defeated that Jaebum hates it.

"How?" he asked, returning his eyes to his homework.

Mark doesn't answer and that said it all.

 

Jinyoung returned really late that night and he looked really haggard, heavy books on his arm and backpack. Jackson trailed after him, looking extremely worried as well. Jaebum just watched how his best friend placed the books and bag carefull on the dinner table, his glasses almost toppling off his face when he accidentally hit his face.

“What happened to you?” Jaebum finally asked. Jinyoung is usually the one in control of everything so seeing him like this, it’s confusing. Plus, Jackson’s worried stance was something to be said.

Jinyoung shook his head. “It’s nothing, hyung. Don’t worry about me.”

Jaebum was about to just nod, but Jackson immediately wailed. “Don’t, Jinyoung-ah! Don’t keep it in!” he turned to Jaebum with begging eyes, “J-boy, do something! Anything! Just! Help him! Please.”

The urgency in Jackson’s tone was worrying because Jaebum doesn’t understand why. What could Jackson, an Angel, be so worried about that he would actually ask Jaebum, a mere Human, for help?

“Jinyoung-ah, don’t lie to me.” Jaebum stood up and walked over to where Jinyoung is now hunched up, hands on the table for support. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

Jinyoung shook his head stubbornly, not a new trait. “It doesn’t matter, hyung. It’s not important.”

As expected, Jackson immediately disagreed. “That’s not true, Jinyoungie! You’re important! So important!” Jackson turned to Jaebum with wide eyes, “Can you hug him, J-boy? Please just hug him tight.”

Jaebum saw Mark finally move from his side of the room to where Jackson was standing, placing a hand on the shoulder of Jinyoung’s boy in white. Jaebum looked away and did exactly what Jackson had asked him for. He might not exactly like Jackson, but he trusts him at an extent and he knows the boy has nothing but good intentions when it comes to his Human.

So Jaebum did just that. Without saying anything, he turned Jinyoung around by the shoulders to face him. He saw Jinyoung’s eyes were a little red and he was trembling a little, so he immediately wrapped his best friend in his arms. Jaebum’s arms were around Jinyoung’s shoulders while the boy’s arms were dangling to the side, soon following to wrap around Jaebum’s waist.

No words were exchanged, but Jaebum could tell when Jinyoung started to relax. His best friend’s body no longer shaking and he no longer hears the muffling of sobs.

It was only when he was sure Jinyoung was feeling better that Jaebum finally took a peek at Jackson. When he did, Jaebum realized what Mark meant earlier.

"You wouldn't understand, Jaebum-ah."

Mark was wrong. Jaebum understands and he sees it so well.

Because right there, in Jackson’s eyes, was jealousy as clear as the sky during summer. Right there, on the way Jackson’s fists were curled, was the obvious resentment that he couldn’t touch Jinyoung. Right there, with the way Jackson looked so tense, says everything.

And Jaebum, Jaebum understands it all.

For some reason, Jackson was in love with his Human.

 Only Mark understands.”

And for some reason, Im Jaebum doesn’t understand anymore.

 

 

a/n: I uploaded 2 chapters today because it's already 2 chapters in AO3. I hope you'll tell me what you think!