Six.

Kiss Your Darlings
Please log in to read the full chapter

[This is a chapter that shows things a little more from Kyungsoo's perspective (the drawings are his too), as requested ~ due to Kyungsoo being based off the rebellious, secondary character in the film, there is some mature content...very little, but still mature. Enjoy!]

 

The headmaster drums his fingers against a hollow desk, the wooden surface smooth and shining, sunlight reflecting off it. He has a grimace on his face and his eyes are half-lidded, both to block the blinding rays and to express extreme distaste at the student sitting across from him. Every so often he huffs in irritation at the heavy boots propped up on his desk, which are painted in mud and scuffing it horribly.

Kyungsoo yawns and stretches his arms out above his head, smiling as his joints crack and the stiffness in his body slowly dissipates. He leaves his arms extended there, waving them side to side in synchronisation with a bopping beat inside his head. It is a song he discovered on a special someone’s laptop, hidden in a folder all by itself as though it was supposed to remain the world’s largest secret. Being a snoop, curiosity getting the absolute the best of him, he had opened the file and let its majesty flow out into the room. Despite Jongin freaking out during that moment in time, Kyungsoo doesn’t regret it now, because it is the perfect distraction from the headmaster’s hideous features pointing in his direction.

‘This is the third time this month that security has had to remove you from the library,’ the headmaster says finally, his tone cracked and defeated.

‘I’m just making use of my right to a freedom of speech,’ Kyungsoo responds, staring at his fingernails.

‘Reading terribly inappropriate exerts aloud does not count as exercising that right.’

Kyungsoo retracts his feet and leans forward onto his elbows. ‘Who deemed those exerts inappropriate? Was it the students or you?’

‘Students can suggest that a piece of literature is tasteless or offensive, but the ultimate decision rests in my hands, of course.’

‘You’ve clearly made all of the decisions without the consideration of any input you’ve received,’ Kyungsoo states, dramatically rolling his eyes, ‘because no young man or woman in this school would have a problem with novels containing ual references being on the library shelves. In fact, most of the students here have stashes of under their beds or slyly hidden away elsewhere.’

The headmaster gasps and cups a palm over his mouth in disgust. ‘How do you know that?’

‘We all exchange collections every once in a while. There’s a set rotation.’

‘You’re digging a ginormous hole for yourself,’ the headmaster grumbles.

Kyungsoo shrugs. ‘I never signed anything upon entering this institution that stated was not allowed,’ he explains calmly as he swings his feet, boots scraping noisily against the floorboards, ‘nor did I ever agree to disown my favourite novels simply due to there being a line or two that suggests ual or other related concepts.’

‘It is this university’s policy that we ensure, at all costs, that our students are able to work and study in an environment without disruption and without discomfort. You are disruptive and the words you preach likely make less experienced students feel uneasy,’ the headmaster snaps, pushing back from his chair.

‘That’s complete bull. My learning is being disrupted right now and I’m feeling terribly uncomfortable.’

‘You are not eligible for such a privilege under these circumstances.’

‘That’s mistreatment,’ Kyungsoo claims, his voice rising and filling with sarcasm, ‘are you racist, sir? Being of an Asian descent, I have been blessed with intelligence and good looks. Are you by any chance…jealous?’

The headmaster groans in frustration and his cheeks redden, head ready to pop off his shoulders at any given moment. ‘I am not racist and I am most certainly not jealous of a student who is going absolutely nowhere. Now, get out of my office before I kick you out myself.’

‘It’d be my honour,’ Kyungsoo mutters.

He reaches the door and turns around once, trying not to chuckle as he addresses the headmaster under his breath for the final time. ‘Oh, by the way, there’s a huge chunk of spinach in your teeth you Betty Crocker looking son of a .’

There’s an adorably lost Jongin circling around in the hallway when Kyungsoo approaches his dorm. He seems to be searching for something, his steps purposely cautious and torpid, sparkling hazel eyes narrowed. His shoulders are hunched over and his hands are curled up in front of him, so he somewhat looks like a decrepit, aged man. Kyungsoo snorts and paces over, pinching his nape between two firm fingers.

Jongin straightens immediately and jumps backwards. ‘Jesus! Kyungsoo, you scared me!’

‘And you made my heart squeal,’ Kyungsoo coos, reaching up to squish Jongin’s blushing cheeks, ‘look how cute you are when you’re flustered!’

‘I know you’re trying to side-track me, so it’s not going to work,’ Jongin mumbles as his cheeks are tugged out further and further, ‘you got in trouble again, didn’t you? What was it this time?’

Kyungsoo lets his arms flop to his sides. ‘It was nothing new. I read a line with the word in it, and now I’m being deemed a criminal within these school grounds.’

‘I’m sure it’s just because he’s never had the chance to see one before.’

‘That’s definitely a thought that has crossed my mind.’

Kyungsoo opens his door and lets Jongin stroll on through, before locking it behind him and plopping to the ground, legs instantly crossing over one another. His gaze follows the other male as he tosses his bag onto the bed and flops onto it, resting on his side. His hair is gradually slipping away from his forehead, exposing more of that smooth skin Kyungsoo silently pines over. He has to fight the desire to crawl over and press his lips against that spot, has to pretend that there isn’t a strangely creeping sensation of heat pooling up in his stomach and nether regions.

‘I really admire your refusal to conform to the headmaster’s wishes,’ Jongin says quietly, fiddling with the crumpled blanket beneath him, ‘but do you think you could conform for just a little while? I don’t want to wake up one day and not have you there beside me.’

Kyungsoo edges closer, planting his chin atop the springy bed. ‘I’d still sneak in to visit.’

‘Kyungsoo…’

‘Jongin, I wish I could go along with that idiot’s demands, but I can’t. It literally pains me to even think of the satisfaction I’d be allowing him.’

Jongin the top of Kyungsoo’s head, his fingers tangling with thick strands. ‘Okay, then can you promise me one thing?’

‘Let me hear it first,’ Kyungsoo responds, closing his eyes.

‘Promise that you’ll keep the readings to a more private space. You can yell about anything else in that library, but if you feel like screaming about anything that might give another student a slight discomfort down below, do it here.’

‘I think that’ll be fine,’ Kyungsoo says, laughing as he wriggles over the floorboards and to his desk, ‘I’m in the mood to give someone a slight discomfort down below right now.’

Jongin buries his face in a pillow. ‘No, Kyungsoo, not now. I’m neither mentally nor physically prepared for that.’

Please log in to read the full chapter