A Leap in the Night

All of My Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook’s eyes widened. “The Land of the Stars…” He turned to glance at Taehyung. “Is that where you’re from?”

The alien nodded, his face unusually serious. “Yes…” He then stared at Iseul, blinking owlishly. “Have they started making threats yet?”

Iseul shook her head, smoothing down a few strands of hair. “No, but they have been particularly verbal about your absence. I wouldn’t be surprised if they began threatening soon.”

Namjoon’s eyes narrowed suspiciously. “Why would they threaten to attack a planet over one civilian? Most countries wouldn’t unless multiple, meaning in the hundreds of thousands, are being targeted.”

Hoseok and Iseul exchanged glances, seemingly holding a conversation with their eyes alone. “That is classified,” Iseul said finally, her tone harsh. “To divulge all of the universe’s secrets would be treason against the IGBP and its council. The wrath of the council is not to be taken lightly.”

Hoseok his lips, sending Namjoon a brilliant – if not strained – smile. “You’re a military career; you’d understand why we have to keep everything all hush-hush.”

Sighing in defeat, Namjoon sat down gracelessly, weapons on casual display. “Alright. Why do you need Jungkook for your little plan to work?”

“Jungkook has already gained Taehyung’s trust. Trust is vital in an operation that is so –”

“Bull.” Namjoon folded his arms over his chest, expression anything but amused. “He obviously trusts you, too. What’s your real reason?”

Hoseok lifted an eyebrow, shifting his weight to one side. “What makes you say that he trusts us?”

Namjoon lifted an eyebrow of his own, unfolding his arms, fingers grazing against his gun once more. At this particular moment, Jungkook thought that Namjoon looked like some mafia boss, all guns and slicked back hair and condescending sneers. “Simple. He’s sitting next to the glass.”

And really, it was true. If Taehyung was afraid or nervous, he automatically migrated as far away from the glass as possible, as if attempting to hide himself from prying eyes. But there he was, practically pressed against the glass, hanging off of every work spoken.

Taehyung looked like a kicked puppy, eyes big and wide as he most likely realized that his own habits foiled the intergalactic politician’s plans. Hoseok laughed airily in astonishment. Iseul merely shook her head.

“Namjoon-ssi, Taehyung does not trust us to the extent that he trusts Jungkook. In order for us to –”

Finally having enough, Namjoon stood up, slamming his fist down on the table. “So what?! Taehyung trusts me; give me Jungkook’s role! Why do you insist on dragging this young boy into the chaos? Why does it have to be him?”

Hoseok immediately took a step in front of Iseul at the wave of hostility. The woman merely let out a short huff, pushing him gently to the side. “Stop it,” she chided, her eyes unusually soft. “You can barely protect me from a snake; don’t pretend to be some tough man now.”

Hoseok grumbled in response.

Letting out a short huff, Iseul played with a silver band around her middle finger. “Namjoon-ssi,” she said in a placating tone, her eyes still soft and gentle. “I can assure you that no harm will come to Jungkook-ssi. He will be completely safe, but in order for us to help the rest of the planet, we need his help. Please trust us.”

Snarling, Namjoon reached for the emergency alarm button strapped to his waist. “Give me one good reason for me to trust you or I’m calling in the rest of the guards.”

Hoseok grimaced. “I want to tell you so much, but it’s classified.”

“Classified my ! I don’t know who the hell you are or what you’re really after, but you are not going to be putting my charge in danger while I’m here!” And with a final snarl, Namjoon hit the button strapped to his waist.

“Hoseok!” Iseul screeched, shoving the taller man towards Namjoon, who was already reaching for his weapon. Taehyung had fled to the far wall in the confusion, sending terrified glances in Jungkook’s direction.

“On it!” Reaching out, Hoseok slammed his hands down on the table, sending out a wave of electrical current. Jungkook felt the buzzing rip through his veins, oddly comforting as it passed through him.

And then everything went dark.

“.” Jungkook felt a hand on his shoulder – Namjoon – roughly pushing him down to the ground as the hum of the backup generators started up. Lights slowly flickered back to life, illuminating the area once more. All around Hoseok, tables and chairs were overturned, as if something knocked them back. Electricity wrapped itself around Hoseok himself, crackling and permeating the air with the smell of ozone.

Hoseok unclenched his jaw, gently stretching his neck as things popped back into place with a quiet crack. “Well that was annoying,” he said rather calmly, flexing his fingers as excess electricity was discharged from his body. “I’m not as young as I used to be, you know.”

Iseul, who had ducked under a far table, stood up, straightening her clothing. “Right. Now that we’re finished such… uncouth behaviour, may we please talk like civilized human beings?”

Namjoon, who had recovered from the sudden attack, had his weapon trained on her in an instant. “You already had your chance. Since you failed to come up with a proper answer, force was necessary. I suggest you get out before the rest of the guard comes in.”

“Not happening.”

It was Hoseok who spoke up, the electricity he had released flaring up around him once more like a wraith. Jungkook stared, fascinated. So this was the technology of the galaxy?

“That was an EMP blast. I’ve just fried every bit of technology in a fifty mile radius; they wouldn’t have even seen your distress call. To them, it looks like one of the main generators was malfunctioning. So what I suggest is that you stop threatening my charge before I decide this electricity would be a lot better running through you.”

Namjoon bared his teeth. “Oh? Was that a threat, sunshine man?”

Hoseok glowered, his face uncharacteristically dark. “You little –”

Unable to listen to much more, Jungkook practically threw himself in the midst of the two men. “Enough! I’ve been sitting here quietly listening to you two knuckleheads threaten each other back and forth, but this is enough! Just… shut up!”

Hoseok literally recoiled at the verbal attack, sparks dissipating in an instant. Namjoon gaped at him openly, looking like, for all intents and purposes, he was trying to catch flies with his mouth.

Iseul merely sighed heavily. “Thank you, Jungkook-ssi.”

As if recalling the third person in the room, Jungkook whirled on her, practically livid. “And you! You’ve been spewing political nonsense at me, telling me that you need my help, but you’re not telling me why! I want to trust you, but as naïve as I might be, I need more of a reason than you’re going to help Taehyung.” At the mention of his name, the violet-haired alien snapped his head to stare at Jungkook like he’d grown a second head. Jungkook took a moment to calm himself, taking a deep breath before staring at Iseul. “So tell me: why should I trust you?”

Iseul’s gaze relaxed, but her lips pressed themselves into a thin line. “Because there is no one else to trust.”

Jungkook nodded, accepting her answer for now. “And how can you be so sure that nothing’ll happen to me?”

Iseul slowly turned to Hoseok, walking over to him and lightly clutching his arm. “Do you want me to…?”

Hoseok shook his head, a sad smile crossing his face slowly. Jungkook still couldn’t shake the feeling that he’d seen that very same smile somewhere before. “No, it’s okay. I can tell him.” Turning to Jungkook, Hoseok’s brilliant smile returned full-force, albeit a little strained. “Jungkook-ah… What do you know about your dad’s family?”

Jungkook scrunched his nose at the odd question. Taehyung, eyes wide, rapidly asked something in another language – not the language Jungkook had slowly been learning, something harsher and grittier sounding – to which Hoseok replied with a bitter smile.

“He had a brother, but he died a long time ago. What does any of this have to do with Taehyung and getting him out of here? What does this have to do with anything?”

Hoseok smiled, this one slightly more genuine, waving a hand dismissively. “You know that CTAAs are made from a base species, right?” Jungkook nodded slowly, wondering where this was going. “Well… To avoid major suspicion, there’s some low-key memory alterations done to the people who interact with the base of the CTAA. Most of the time that person is removed completely from all memory streams.”

Jungkook furrowed his eyebrows. “You’re saying that…”

“That your memory of me has been wiped, yes. I’m your cousin on your dad’s side. Nice to see you again, Kookie.”

Jungkook’s eyes widened, brain unable to comprehend what he just heard. So, he did the next logical thing.

He fainted.

 Jimin panicked, dashing over to Yoongi’s side where the older man had collapsed.

“Min Yoongi! Min Yoongi, are you alright?!”

Yoongi groaned, rolling onto his side. The alleyway was cramped, lined with empty crates and cans. Jimin never realized how bad things were in some parts of the city were until now. Turning his attention back to the fallen man, Jimin panicked as Yoongi began to cough violently.

“Min Yoongi, please don’t die on me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter