Getting Away

Push and Pull
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[2337]

Junhoe took the first drag of a new cigarette as he fell back on his sofa, arms crossed over a light grey hoodie he'd had around for ages. He hardly smoked, only during stressful moments, and it was easy to say this was one of them. "So, I've been thinking, right? And-"

"No," Jinhwan said from behind his 80s car magazine, one he probably found lying around Yunhyeong's basement. "You are not quitting school. If I'm stuck in that goddamn prison, so are you."

"Just a thought," Junhoe said casually as he sighed a thick cloud of smoke. 

"Give me that!" Bobby huffed as he plucked out Junhoe's cigarette and ashed it on an empty cola can before bringing it back to his lips. "If anyone needs it, it's me."

Bobby had just gotten back from his grandmother's funeral and was wearing a black suit that didn't quite fit him in any sort of way. Bobby never wore suits, never had any reason to dress beyond torn jeans and T-shirts. This one was probably his dad's, or something, which explained why it was too long on his legs and sleeves. He had dark creases under his eyes and hadn't bothered much with his hair -- either that or he'd messed it up on the way back (the way he always did when he got mad or frustrated). It was the only sign that he was stressed out by the entire matter. He didn't talk about it at all, which was expected.  

Just then, Yunhyeong broke through the basement door, looking breathless and worn out, and you all curiously looked at him. No one said anything, but your eyes followed him as he collapsed on the torn pleather chair beside the sofa. "You would not believe the day I've just had."

"Day?" you asked as you glanced down at your phone. "It's only noon."

"Day, morning, whatever," Yunhyeong muttered as he brushed a hand through his hair and pulled his cap over his head. "Well, first off, I got arrested."

"Arrested?" Hanbin said as he glanced up. "Well, it's about time."

Yunhyeong laughed sarcastically before cocking his head to the side, shoulders rolling back as he winced. "It's the last time I'm skipping out on a bill."

"Didn't know you could get arrested for that," Hanbin said, now looking back down at his phone. "That's lame."

"Yeah, well you learn something new everyday, right?" Yunhyeong replied airily as he searched his jacket pocket for a new lollipop to switch for the stem in his mouth. "Anyway, my dad's in a bad mood, so you all should stay down here for a while before he cools off. Especially you, Hanbin."

Hanbin raised an eyebrow. "Me?"

"Yeah, my dad's still pissed you burned a hole in the carpet," Yunhyeong said as he rested his head on the chair armrest, his legs up on the opposing. "He'll probably ask for money to get a new one, or something. You know how he is, always has to find reasons for money."

"That wasn't even me, that was you," Hanbin countered as he sat up. He had no problem with people disliking him -- hell, more people disliked him than they liked him -- but he had a backwards way of thinking where he needed the glory of the reasons.

"Yeah, but I told him it was you," Yunhyeong replied, looking as though that argument was justifiable. "You think I want to get beat up over a burn mark in an already ruined carpet? No way."

"Bastard," Hanbin hissed under his throat as he got up and shrugged on his jacket. "Well, I'm bored. Let's do something."

"I hope you realize I'm the driver and I just got arrested," Yunhyeong replied as he watched you all get up. Bobby was already ing his shirt, shrugging off his jacket to reveal a black T-shirt underneath. "My dad won't let me drive."

"That's not a problem," Hanbin said as he grabbed Yunhyeong's keys from his jacket pocket and tossed them over to Donghyuk. "We'll just have Donghyuk drive."

Yunhyeong's jaw dropped. "Donghyuk doesn't even know how to drive."

"Yeah, well Donghyuk's a smart guy," Hanbin said as Junhoe hooked an arm around Donghyuk's neck and playfully scruffed up his mop of dark brown hair. "He'll figure it out."

Yunhyeong sighed as he stuck his hands in his pockets and followed you out with dragged heels. He shrugged. "I'm a dead man. I'm a dead man."

 

 

///

 

 

"Where... are we?"

You popped open the doors to Yunhyeong's van and stuck your heads out. You were in the middle of nowhere. All you could find was trees and... a lake apparently.

"Fresh air for once," Jinhwan said as he got out first and mindlessly kicked a rock. "Better than home, at least."

You weren't quick to agree with that statement, but it wasn't totally bad. You got out after him and stood beside him, cocking your head to the side as you eyed the open water. After a second, you shrugged and walked to the edge of the peer and took off your jacket. "Seems like a good idea."

After kicking off your shoes and throwing aside your phone and wallet, you dove into the water. Jinhwan jumped in after you, followed by Junhoe, and the rest of the boys thought 'what the heck' and did the same, even Bobby in his suit.  

"You know, nature's not so bad," Junhoe said as he surfaced to the water and flung aside his hat. "I might even just abandon everything and live out in the wild."

"Still not a good enough reason to quit school," Jinhwan mumbled from your other side.

All of a su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter