Chapter 1: New

Born to Never Forget

It is really late night when you reach the airport and yet, you still have to go to your dorm which is an hour away from the airport. You are really tired considering that it is the longest flight that you have ever experienced. You lazily lined up for the cabs, yawning unlimitedly.

     Finally, you are already in front of the line. Waiting in front of you is a quite big cab. You wanted a small cab but considering that you have a lot of bags to carry with you, you just grab it. Luckily, the driver is a neatly-dressed young man who is kind enough to carry your bags to the back of the cab. He drives you to your destination and you give him some tips as he shuts his whole mouth up the whole ride unlike other drivers who purposely makes you look up from your phone.

     The corridor of the dorm at night is still really noisy. You can hear people playing club songs like gdfr or worth it from outside. If only this happens in Korea, neighbours will call cops just to investigate if you have drunk alcoholic drinks. You look for the room written 106 as it is your dorm room. It is a single room connecting to another single room which what you exactly wanted as you don’t speak some good english. You don’t even plan on knocking the connecting door to know who is your neighbour.

     You get into your room, still completely empty yet you like the comfortable situation. You unpack your clothes, hanging it on the hangers one by one until someone knocks on the door. You slowly walk to the door, guessing that there will be some drunk people knocking on your door and entering your room without your permission.

     You open your door to find out a Korean student with the dorm manager. You smile back at her, relieved that at least you can speak to someone with the same language with you.

     “Oh, hi! My name is Hee Byul. What is your name?” you say, opening yourself.

     “Hi, my name is Hee Rin. Jung Hee Rin. Nice to meet you!” she says, introducing herself the formal way.

     Both of you chit chat for a moment in your room as you don’t want to leave a guest hanging around just like that. You are used to treating guests politely as it is your tradition. Finally, after a good chitchat, you two feel so close and you feel that you have reached your first accomplishment which is having your first friend.