The Meaning of Eternity

The Meaning of Eternity

 

If you interview the group and ask the following question:
‘To you, what is the meaning of eternity?’


The eldest Kim Jinwoo, whose eyes are forever glassy like a deer is probably going to tell you,
‘Sometimes I think the dark repetitive trainee days would continue till eternity.’


The tanned Mino who looks as if he has just come back from a holiday in Hawaii will perhaps flash you his bright white teeth, and respond, maybe a bit too light-heartedly,
‘My group mates are eternal.’


It is almost certain that the chic, youngest Taehyun will not even bother going deep into the question, and will simply say,
‘I don’t think there is such thing as eternity.’


The trouble maker Lee Seunghoon who is surprisingly delicate will quite likely amaze you with his gentle and thoughtful words,
‘Sometimes eternity is creation and existence, sometimes it is the light that got left behind in our memories.’


Seungyoon hears the question. He dazes away. 

 

 


 


He was once a highly anticipated rising star loved by many. Then one day he became a nameless trainee who did not know the date of his debut. It was his own choice; but again, truth be told, the differences he experienced were more than he had expected. Time passed, people forgot, and those days where one simple smile of his would cause frantic screams and cheers became a dream that seemed impossible to reach.


Sometimes, in order to find the sense of truth in his past, to feel that those days really existed, he purposely searched for differences between himself and other trainees.


But doubts remained.
‘Did I really… stand on that stage… and receive cheers from so many?’


So many doubts. So many that they were quickly eating away, engulfing that boy who was once so proud; drowning him in self loathing.


What is eternity?
I don’t know.
Everything I had. I cannot find them now.
The dream that I have been holding on to for so long. I have no idea when that will be fulfilled.


Seungyoon grew up. He matured but was silenced by the harsh reality.
That flair he had during the time of ‘Instinctively’ seemed to have disappeared. Painfully squeezed into a box. Buried deep.
It was only when he occasionally received gifts from fans, or when he opened his arms to welcome his new group mate Seunghoon hyung from the competition Kpop Star, did he vaguely remember that Seungyoon who was too brave and proud to worry about a single thing in the world.


The day finally came. Although it was just another usual evaluation, their CEO’s announcement gave these monthly events a completely new meaning. Seungyoon felt that it was their chance. Therefore he tried hard; he showed his best but criticisms were all he received. 


He did not dislike the idea of a solo debut, but he could not tolerate the thought of giving up all these years of practice and preparations with his teammates. 


There were always mistakes, nothing was ever perfect. 
‘What will become of us if we fail?’


Seungyoon was tired that night but he couldn’t sleep. His heart was bursting with worries.
Pain.
The sharpness was stabbing in. He glanced over his shoulder, only to see Jinwoo hyung sound asleep. 


Need air. 


Seungyoon stepped out his room and saw a tall lean figure standing in the dark. 
With his messy hair, Seunghoon seemed to have just woken up. He walked over to Seungyoon, looked down gently and said,


‘Seungyoon ah…’
That familiar Busan dialect… 


‘…do go sleep soon, we still have rehearsals tomorrow.’
nearly brought tears to his eyes.


Seunghoon pulled Seungyoon closer, hugged him slightly and patted his little brother’s head.


‘Let’s debut together.’
His words were quiet, but they continued to echo in Seungyoon’s ears. 
Like the natural sound of wind chimes swinging in gentle breeze. 


He let the needles go.
And all that could be heard was the sound of rain falling on wooden floor.

 

 


 

 

If you interview the group and ask the following question:
‘To you, what is the meaning of eternity?’


The eldest Kim Jinwoo, whose eyes are forever glassy like a deer is probably going to tell you,
‘Sometimes I think the dark repetitive trainee days would continue till eternity.’


The tanned Mino who looks as if he has just come back from a holiday in Hawaii will perhaps flash you his bright white teeth, and respond, maybe a bit too light-heartedly,
‘My group mates are eternal.’


It is almost certain that the chic, youngest Taehyun will not even bother going deep into the question, and will simply say,
‘I don’t think there is such thing as eternity.’


The trouble maker Lee Seunghoon who is surprisingly delicate will quite likely amaze you with his gentle and thoughtful words,
‘Sometimes eternity is creation and existence, sometimes it is the light that got left behind in our memories.’


If Seungyoon hears the question, he will look over to the middle part hair maknae on his left, then to the three older boys on his right. His gaze will meet the tallest boy’s, and shall answer when he sees that warmhearted nod of encouragement,

 


‘Winner. Winner is my definition of eternity.’