Final

short distance of unsaid words

Jongdae likes Kyungsoo as he’s one of those people that actually always laugh with him and gives him so much fun. He also cooks deliciously, another advantage of their friendship and even if he can be pain in sometimes, Jongdae’s never the one who actually feels it. Both of them attend the same school, the same classes. They’re quite popular and have other friends like Baekhyun and Chanyeol, but even these two can’t replace them.

Jongdae is a prankster, he likes laughing with other people and at other people. He also likes doing some stupid things, even if it has its consequences, but Jongdae doesn’t really care. The most important for him is making other people smile, although he fails very often. On the other hand, Kyungsoo is silent and sometimes he becomes quite serious, but still he can be best friend with Jongdae acting this way. And to be honest, he is the only person that can control Jongdae, and while sometimes even Baekhyun doesn’t manage to do it, Kyungsoo’s ways always work. And he’s so proud of it.

Although they’re opposites, they still like the same things what only makes the time they spend together even nicer. And they like making bets because this is the easiest and in the same time the most difficult way to show who they are and what their abilities are, so very often they bet other people, sometimes their classmates and sometimes adults, but rarely they do it with each other. That’s why Jongdae’s so surprised when one day Kyungsoo comes to him and says he wants to bet.

“And what is it?” asks Jongdae curiously, eyeing his friend and waiting for the answer trying to hide his impatience.

“Just don’t be afraid, okay?” says Kyungsoo and Jongdae wants to laugh seeing how serious his friend is. He bites his lip in anticipation because the words only mean that the bet is really something. “Do you trust me?”

“Sure. Now, tell me about the it.”

So Kyungsoo does it and hearing his friend’s idea, Jongdae opens his mouth widely, because he’d never expect him to make up something like that. But with each said word he isn’t more scared or unsure, as Kyungsoo thought he would be, but excited.

“None of us has a girlfriend now, so let’s not date any. Let’s become close, closer than we are now, actually. Let’s hug, let’s hold hands. Sometimes, let’s kiss each other. Let’s do it everywhere, in every situation, even in public, so other people will think we’re gays, dating each other. And the one who won’t be able to take it anymore, who’ll want to stop it, loses. What do you think about it?”


At first, Jongdae’s shocked and he can’t hide it. But then he finally comes to his mind and he knows he has to give a response and thinking about it he knows it’s weird and they shouldn’t do it. But he can’t help his excitement that raises inside him and there’s this voice in his head that tells him he can’t reject it – it’s a bet and he can’t just ignore it because when he does it, the other person will think he’s weak. And he’s obviously far from being weak so he won’t give any person a reason to think so, especially Kyungsoo.

“Okay,” he says and Kyungsoo grins. “But when the bet ends, what’ll be the award for the person that lasted longer?”

“The loser will have to do everything what the winner wants. He’ll be doing it for a week.”

“A week?” Jongdae raises his eyebrow, because it’s boring. Every week ends quickly so there’s no fun in it. “Why not longer?”

“Remember, the loser will do everything. With such a deal, one week isn’t short.”

And Jongdae has to agree, so he just nods. Seeing his reaction, Kyungsoo asks the last question. “So, when do you want to start it?”




After two weeks, Jongdae and Kyungsoo are both in the elder’s room, watching a horror, which both of them think is ridiculous and should rather be called a comedy, and doing nothing about the bet. Although they both agreed to it and should start it two weeks ago they still do nothing. Being friends for such a long time made its work and now the thought of doing it is quite odd but on the other hand, it’s what their friendship is about. And they have to face just another bet, last it and find out who the winner is. With this thought, Kyungsoo moves a little closer to his friend, he lays his head on Jongdae’s shoulder and wraps his arm around his waist. At first, Jongdae feels a little uncomfortable, but then he relaxes. He looks at Kyungsoo, eyeing him carefully. “So, the bet finally begins?”

“You don’t want to?” asks Kyungsoo. “I’ve already started it, if you don’t like it and want to stop it, you lose.”

“No way in hell,” mutters Jongdae, knowing it’s impossible for him to escape now. And he doesn’t want to – being the stubborn he is he prefers winning this stupid bet to just giving up. He has to show that he can last even with such a stupid idea like this so he puts his arm on Kyungsoo’s waist and pulls him closer, hugging him. Their position is awkward and intimate, but they don’t care. They can’t care now, after all.

After another half an hour of watching the boring horror Kyungsoo feels Jongdae’s head on his and he looks up, seeing his friend asleep. He does nothing at first but then he decides that it’s probably late, Jongdae should go to bed and he should go home so he places his hand on the latter’s shoulder and then shakes him not so gently. Jongdae stiffens and opens his eyes trying to stop the urge to yawn as he realizes he fell asleep and then got brutally woken up.

“It’s late,” Kyungsoo says when he sees Jongdae’s awoken but still, too sleepy to form any words. “Go to bed.”

“You didn’t have to be so cruel,” Jongdae mutters and this time he yawns not even caring to hide his mouth and Kyungsoo pretends to give a look of disgust.

“God, you’re ugly.”

“I love you too.”




Another few days are peaceful. Jongdae and Kyungsoo act like friends they were before, but now they’re even closer physically. They hold hands almost all the time and they hug each other more than before, it isn’t strange for them to rest their heads on each other’s shoulders or to sit down on their lap anymore. It becomes normal and finally they stop noticing all of it but they friends still see it.

At first, Baekhyun’s sure it’s some kind of laughing at him and maybe making him feel uncomfortable with their presence, but then he starts thinking if it really can be that both of them have feelings for each other. But he just can’t believe it. It’s so strange for him to think that Jongdae and Kyungsoo can like boys, it’s strange they can like each other in this way. But seeing their behaviour, he’s not sure anymore. Maybe they really are that close, maybe they really like each other and it was obvious before, but only know he cares enough to see it?

Feeling strange, he tells Chanyeol everything and he doesn’t feel good when Chanyeol just laughs, saying that they’re just ‘normal Kyungsoo and Jongdae’ and Baekhyun shouldn’t think about it anymore. But Baekhyun just can’t stop thinking because he’s more and more uneasy about his friends and curious at the same time.

Finally, it comes to the time when he can’t bear with being uncertain anymore, as the three of them – he, Jongdae and Kyungsoo – go to the cinema to watch a new horror. At first, Chanyeol was supposed to come with them, but then his mother forbade him because of his bad marks. And after hearing that, Baekhyun starts feeling uncomfortable again. Because he doesn’t want to be alone, watching his friends like that, he doesn’t want to feel left out, even if Jongdae and Kyungsoo try so hard to do something with him he still thinks they’d prefer not coming with him at all.

And he finally reaches his limits, when they are much earlier than they should be so they are waiting on the couch before the cinema room. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are sitting closely to each other, while Jongdae is on the lap of the youngest boy, resting his head on his shoulder and hugging him gently, and Kyungsoo just caresses his back. It’s the moment when Baekhyun can’t stand their acting anymore.

“Tell me now and please, screw some stupid excuses” he says and both Jongdae and Kyungsoo look at him surprised and curious about what he’s about to say. “Are you two dating or not?”

Jongdae looks surprised at Kyungsoo while the younger just looks at Baekhyun and swallows. They knew they’d hear the question and they thought they were prepared but now, when Baekhyun finally asks it sounds strange. They decided they wanted to make others believe they are together, they thought they’d know what to say but now, when it really happens they grow silent with no idea how they should respond.

“So?” Baekhyun asks again, wanting to know. But when his friends still keep quiet he almost rolls his eyes, and then finally Jongdae says that it’s complicated. And Kyungsoo knows that Baekhyun wants a real answer and they can’t brush him off anymore.

“Honestly, yes, we are,” Kyungsoo finally, the words strange and foreign but at the same time oddly light, and Baekhyun doesn’t know if he should be surprised or not. Because he has been suspecting it for some time now, but still it’s weird, knowing your friends are gays.

“You are?” he asks, not knowing how stupid he looks and sounds now. “Like, really? You two? Together?”

“Yeah,” Jongdae answers. “We’ve already told you.”

“Yeah, I know, it’s just…” Baekhyun doesn’t even know, what to say. It seems to be impossible to find some proper words right now. “I just didn’t expect you to be gays before. It’s strange.”

“Do you feel uncomfortable about it?” Jongdae asks and Baekhyun sees concern and fear in his friend’s eyes and then, Baekhyun feels awful because he caused it. So he just shakes his head, wanting to deny the statement.

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes” he answers. “It’s just… surprising, I guess. I’d never think about it. But I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable about you, you’re my friends after all.”

And then Baekhyun realises that it isn’t completely true so he adds, “I mean… On the other hand, I feel uncomfortable. I mean, when you both act so lovey-dovey, I’m left out, don’t you think so?”

Hearing it, Jongdae smiles widely and he lets Kyungsoo’s legs rest a bit, when he throws himself on Baekhyun, laughing loudly. “Aww~ Baekhyunnie, don’t worry! You’re never left out being with us!”

Feeling Jongdae’s weight on himself, Baekhyun regrets saying that, trying to throw his friend off. “Kim Jongdae, I swear I’m going to kill you, just you wait! Get off!” he yells, but neither Jongdae nor Kyungsoo think seriously about it, and he can do nothing more than just keeping his mouth shut and hoping that one day Jongdae will finally let him go.




Kyungso and Jongdae know they shouldn’t be surprise that after their ‘date’ in the cinema, as Baekhyun calls it, their friend decided to tell their other friends about them. At first it was awkward for them when Chanyeol and Jongin started asking them about their new relationship but after hearing things for the millionth time it started to get more and more annoying. Also, it was difficult for them at the beginning with questions like when did they start going out, who was the first to confess, when and where was their first date, and many others. So after the first day, when Jongdae and Kyungsoo are again in the elder’s room, they are sitting on his bed, deciding to create their whole love story and facts their friends want to know.

“So,” Kyungsoo starts feeling a little stiff. “What should we think about firstly?”

Jongdae thinks for a moment, then takes his notebook and pen and starts writing some questions. “Well, we should probably decide who was the first to confess.”

Kyungsoo nods. “It’s me.”

“You?” Jongdae eyes Kyungsoo, a little surprised with confidence Kyungsoo has put in these words. “Why?”

“Because I was the one who came to you and told you about the whole bet, remember?”

Jongdae admits he’s right and starts writing on his notebook. Kyungsoo looks at the neatly written words surprised how nice it looks because he has never noticed Jongdae’s handwriting can be so pretty but maybe now he just starts seeing things he hasn’t before, all because of this bet.

“Okay, how, when and where did you confess to me?”

“I think three weeks ago? Then I told you about the bet,” says Kyungsoo.

“Yes, but only one week ago we actually started it. We were just talking about it before and then we started it for real,” Jongdae notices and Kyungsoo starts wondering about it.

“How about it,” he speaks finally. “Let’s say I confessed to you three weeks ago and only two weeks after that you agreed to be my boyfriend.”

Jongdae nods and writes it down. He doesn’t say how strange it is to hear he’s Kyungsoo’s boyfriend. Although they have been talking about it before and even they have told Baekhyun about it, they never mentioned this word before. They have been only using ‘dating’ and even more often ‘going out’.

“Okay, so where and how?”

“I think it’s easy,” Kyungsoo says, getting himself a bit more comfortable. “I confessed to you after school, when we met after our classes and you didn’t respond me. And when I was at yours a week ago, you agreed to date me.”

“Let’s not say I didn’t respond,” says Jongdae, thinking how awkward and odd it sounds. “Let’s just say I accepted it but I wasn’t sure if we should be together.”

Kyungsoo raises his eyebrows but doesn’t say anything to comment it, he just simply nods.

Jongdae writes some more words and then looks at Kyungsoo, thinking about more questions but he doesn’t know what their friends would like to know. “I don’t have any idea, do you?”

“You don’t?” Kyungsoo asks and Jongdae shakes his head, so he continues. “I think we can decide when and where was our first date and maybe how we figured out we had feelings for each other.”

Jongdae starts writing again in his notebook. “You remember that the day after we started this bet, we didn’t go out with others?” he asks and Kyungsoo nods. “Did you tell anyone why you didn’t go?”

“No,” answers Kyungsoo. “I didn’t think it was necessarily. Why?”

“I also didn’t tell them. Let’s say then was our first date.”

“Okay. We went to…” Kyungsoo starts but frowns when he isn’t able to make up anything. “Uhm… Does park sound okay?”

Jongdae looks surprised at his friend. “Isn’t it too cheesy? Going to the park on the first date?”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes in exasperation. “If you’re going to be so fussy, let’s see if you can come with something better than that.”

“Of course I can,” says Jongdae sassily and Kyungsoo feels like laughing at him, but he tries to stay silent. He decides he should stop being mean laughing at Jongdae, if others are supposed to believe they’re dating and he wants to get used to it so he won’t feel weird later. “What about restaurant? Nice meal together and then going to yours or my house.”

“I don’t know what’s more cheesy. Park or restaurant.”

“Oh, shut up,” Jongdae sighs annoyed. “If you want we can say we were going to the house through the park.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything for a moment. “Whatever, we just went out together to eat something and then we went to my house.”

When Jongdae writes it, Kyungsoo looks curiously at his notebook, wanting to see what they’ve already said and then he remembers something. It makes him feel uncomfortable, but he hides it and Jongdae doesn’t notice something’s wrong.

“So how did you figure out you fell for me?”

Kyungsoo thinks about it but it seems to be too difficult at this moment. “If they ask me about it, I’ll just say I was slowly falling for you until I realized it a few months ago.”

“Same,” Jongdae mutters.

Then, he looks at Kyungsoo and the younger feels Jongdae is nervous about something.

“Everything’s alright?” he asks and Jongdae nods but Kyungsoo still thinks something’s bothering him.

“You remember how surprised Baekhyun was when we told him we’re together?” Kyungsoo nods and Jongdae keeps talking what he’s thinking about, each word makes him blush more and more. “I think that he can ask us about something cheesy like what we like about each other or something like that.”

Kyungsoo opens his mouth in surprise but he closes it quickly. Yes, it’s really strange. Yes, it’s cheesy. And yes, it’s something Baekhyun can ask, certainly, knowing how nosy he can be. But it’s embarrassing to think what Kyungsoo can like in Jongdae, who is his best friend after all.

“You want to think about it now?” he asks and Jongdae moves uncomfortably, rubbing his hands.

“If we decided to think about the ‘dating things’ now, then yeah… I suppose?” he says and Kyungsoo can feel how stressed his friend is about it. He feels the same way, though. But then, he remembers that Jongdae is his friend, they came through a lot of things and strange situations and he’s sure that this little bet will never make a negative effect on their friendship.

“Let’s do it,” he says, trying to sound unhesitatingly. “It shouldn’t be this hard.”

“Really?” Jongdae asks him, raising his eyebrows. “So tell me what wonderful things about me you worship so much.”

Now Kyungsoo thinks it’s embarrassing again. Because thinking about things he can like about his friend and saying it aloud, complimenting him are two different things. And he hopes he won’t sound as if he really fell in love with him.

“If Baekhyun asks me about it, I’ll just say I fell for your voice and your moments of kindness. And because we had been best friends for so long, I knew your good and bad sides.”

Hearing it, Jongdae nods and then he sees Kyungsoo is looking at him expectantly and he knows now it’s his turn.

“I’ll say the same things, that I’d known you for many years. And I fell for your charming personality and patience. And voice, as well.”

Both of them look at each other ashamed, but they don’t say anything. Then Kyungsoo remembers what he was thinking about before and he feels ever more ashamed. He doesn’t even realize this time Jongdae can see his thoughtfulness.

“What are you thinking about?” asks the elder one.

Kyungsoo isn’t sure if he should say it, but they’re creating their whole love story, so maybe Jongdae should know about it. And well, Jongdae will finally know. He’s sure.

“You know, we just thought what Baekhyun can ask us about, but there’s also something I’m sure Chanyeol will want to ask us.” Kyungsoo doesn’t feel that saying Chanyeol will want to ask is the proper thing. Because he just knows Chanyeol will ask about it. And to be honest, he did it, but fortunately, he asked only Kyungsoo when they were alone.

Jongdae eyes his friend curiously and Kyungsoo once more feels uncomfortably. And he curses himself for the whole bet, regretting he has ever come up with it and then told Jongdae about it.

“You know, actually Chanyeol asked me… how far we are.”

Jongdae blinks in shock at his friend and after that, the shock turns into stupefaction and he feels he isn’t able to create a proper sentence. It isn’t that he doesn’t know Chanyeol likes to know as much as he can about other people’s love life. And he feels stupid and abashed thinking about it and the bet with Kyungsoo.

“You know, we’re supposed to be dating for a week now,” he says finally. “I think we can say we did nothing.”

Kyungsoo nods, not saying anything and then Jongdae thinks that it would be hard for their friends to believe they’re together for a week now and they haven’t even kissed each other, especially if in the relationship are both Jongdae and Kyungsoo.

Wondering if he could say something about it or not, he finally decides that yup, there’s no way others will ever believe they did nothing more than only hugging each other and holding their hands.

“Honestly, I don’t think they will believe us,” Kyungsoo says what Jongdae thinks.

“Yeah. So what’s the problem, we can say we kissed each other several times” Jongdae just shrugs and then he feels Kyungsoo still looks hardly at him, so he turns his head. “What’s wrong now?”

“You don’t think they’ll want to see it? To be sure we aren’t joking or something.”

Jongdae frowns and after a few seconds he laughs, imagining Chanyeol’s and Baekhyun’s bewitched façades when he and Kyungsoo are making out in front of them. And then probably Jongin and Sehun would be disgusted with them but who cares.

“I don’t think they’ll ask us to do it. If they don’t want to ruin the maknaes’ lives and innocence forever, of course,” he says, still chuckling, but he sees that Kyungsoo is serious, so he stops. “Stop it, you know they won’t” Jongdae smiles at his friend.

“Of course, they won’t in front of the maknaes” he admits. “But remember we’re very often alone with Chanyeol and knowing the kid he is, he can do it.”

Jongdae has to bitterly agree that yes, Chanyeol is the person who can, or who even is supposed to ask about it. And then he looks at Kyungsoo, a little afraid. “But even if he asks, we don’t have to do it. We can just simply say we don’t want to do it in public.”

“And you think he’ll believe us?” asks Kyungsoo doubtfully. “I don’t want to say anything, but remember that times with your ex girlfriend when both of you were making out all the time in front of everyone?” he reminds him and when Jongdae wants to say something, he continues. “And don’t think we can say that I don’t want it or I’m too shy because you know and they know as well that I’m so similar to you with these things.”

Jongdae pouts and collapses on the bed, whining. “But this is unfair!”

“Stop complaining, you pain in !” Kyungsoo hisses, hitting him. “Or keep doing it, if you don’t care about the bet. But remember it means that I win.”

Hearing it, Jongdae sits up again, looking at his friend as if he was an idiot. “Never.”

“Okay, so now listen. You know he will finally tell us to do it and you know that we agreed to do everything so others can believe we’re together, right?” he asks and Jongdae nods. “So we can’t say we don’t want to, we’ll have to do it.”

“Okay, so we’ll do,” Jongdae rolls his eyes, getting tired because of the topic. “Now let’s finish it and play or watch something.”

“You want to finish it now?” Kyungsoo asks him surprised.

“Yeah, why?”

“Don’t you think it’ll be awkward when we have to do it, but it will be our first time kissing?”

Jongdae doesn’t understand at first, but then his eyes widen in bewilderment and he doesn’t know what to think or say. “You mean… You want to do it now?”

“I don’t want to, I just think it would be better…” Kyungsoo tries to defend himself somehow, but he knows it doesn’t even sound convincingly.

“But still, you mean doing it now,” Jongdae notices and Kyungsoo nods.

The elder one doesn’t even know what he feels anymore, but he knows that now the whole weirdness reached the new level. He just sighs, not sure what’s right and what is not anymore.

“Okay, so let’s do it.”

Kyungsoo’s surprised Jongdae agreed so quickly, but he doesn’t bother thinking about it. Seeing that Kyungsoo does nothing Jongdae looks at him oddly. “So, are you going to kiss me or not?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything, he just moves and when his and Jongdae’s faces are so close to each other that he can feel his friend’s breathing, he stops. He looks in his eyes, searching for some sign of discomfort or discouragement, but all he sees is conviction and then, without any hesitation, he moves closer. When their lips are finally touching, after few seconds, Kyungsoo starts moving it rhythmically, although both he and Jongdae have their mouths shut and there’s no saliva, no tongues touching each other. After that, Kyungsoo pulls out. Jongdae’s cheeks are red in embarrassment and Kyungsoo knows his are as well.

After several seconds, Jongdae smirks and Kyungsoo doesn’t know what it means. “You call it a kiss?”

Kyungsoo’s dumb because he’s just kissed his best friend because of the stupid bet, both of them are on the edges or shame and know Jongdae asks something like that.

“What do you mean?”

“It was just a peck,” says Jongdae. “You said the whole thing about Chanyeol and after all, do you really think it’s enough?”

“Then show me if you know how to do it better” he says exasperated and Jongdae just huffs.

“Of course I know” he says, moving closer.

With no hesitation, Jongdae puts his hand on Kyungsoo’s cheek and kisses him, after few seconds he touches Kyungsoo’s lip with his tongue and when his friend allows him in, he starts exploring his cavern. Kyungsoo responds and now both of them use their tongues, fighting for dominance and Jongdae isn’t glad at all when he loses it, but he just lets it be. They kiss each other for a minute, when finally they feel the lack of oxygen, so they pull out and start breathing heavily.

“So, that’s it” Jongdae says finally. Although the feeling is unfamiliar, he isn’t more ashamed than before. Actually, he thinks that after the first kiss, this time wasn’t so bad and he knows that probably he and Kyungsoo will just shrug it off after all.

“Yeah” Kyungsoo answers. “It wasn’t as bad as I thought it could be.”

Jongdae rises his eyebrow, but says nothing. They spend another few minutes in silence.

“So, we don’t have any huge problems with it, I think?” Kyungsoo states, not knowing what he should look at.

“I suppose we don’t.”

“So, you think we’re ready, right? I mean, when Chanyeol tells us to kiss.”

Jongdae nods again, this time not saying anything.




They were right. After three days of saying that yes, they are together, yes, they really are together and no, they aren’t joking at all, their friends are still so curious about it and keep asking the same questions they have been asking for the previous three days.

“So, when it started?” Jongin asks during their lunch break and Jongdae rolls his eyes because for how many times is he going to say the same sentence?

“Three weeks ago Kyungsoo asked me to date him and only week ago I agreed,” Jongdae repeats the same words for the nth time.

“Where and what did you say exactly?” asks Baekhyun, referring the question to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo answers with the bored voice, like Jongdae did before. “After classes I met with him and then I just asked him if he wanted to date me, because I’d been liking him for a few months and wanted to know if he felt the same.”

“And why didn’t Jongdae accept it at first?” asks Jongin and then he smirks. “Don’t tell me he just left you without an answer, like a runaway bride.”

“Shut up,” Jongdae hisses, hitting him gently and Jongin facetiously cries in non-existent pain. “I wasn’t sure if I did want to date a guy who had been my best friend for years after all, but then I thought that maybe I felt the same way.”

“And don’t you feel awkward sometimes?” asks Sehun, looking at them suspiciously and Kyungsoo wonders why it feels like the youngest doesn’t believe them. “It must be weird when you kiss your best friend.”

Jongdae and Kyungsoo feel a little embarrassed remembering their kiss the previous evening, when Kyungsoo decides to answer it. “At first that was really weird, but now we’re okay with it.”

“How many times did you do it if you got used to it so quickly?” asks Chanyeol and Sehun rolls his eyes in annoyance.

“Don’t ask or you’ll encourage them to make out now in front of the whole school.”

Chanyeol wants to say something more but he doesn’t and Jongdae and Kyungsoo just laugh a little, hearing the statement, but then Kyungsoo feels something strange, trying to ignore the fact that he does want Chanyeol to ask them the question. Maybe because after the kiss he doesn’t feel as uncomfortable about the whole bet as he felt before and now he knows that no matter what he and Jongdae have to do, it’s okay now. And he can’t help wishing Jongdae feels the same.

Two days later, when Jongdae, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Chanyeol go out together and the last two boys are fanboying over the new relationship Kyungsoo and Jongdae are in, it’s the time when Chanyeol finally says that he isn’t sure if they really are dating each other as they haven’t been making out yet in front of them what’s weird, because he knows how his friends act when they are in a relationship and he says that he’ll believe only if they kiss each other now. So this time Kyungsoo is the one who starts the kiss, holding Jongdae’s head between his hands, kissing him too passionately even for Baekhyun’s liking and when they finally end it after few minutes, Chanyeol isn’t able to create a proper sentence. Kyungsoo and Jongdae look at each other in satisfaction because finally no one doubts they are dating and the first part of their plan is done. Now they just have to wait and see who will be the first to get scared with it.




After being witnesses of the kissing scene, neither Baekhyun nor Chanyeol talk about their friends’ relationship and now it seems that Jongdae and Kyungsoo can finally live without the stupid questions about them being together. Still, only their friends know about it, because although it’s the bet and they said they will be acting like a couple in front of other people, they decide that they shouldn’t show exactly everyone how close they are. They have to remember that homophobia can be everywhere and they don’t want to be victims of bullying because of the stupid bet.

One month passes and it’s June, the day when their school students go to the trip in the mountains for a few days. After spending three hours in the bus, waiting in boredom to reach their destination, students have to decide who will be sharing his room with who and no one disagrees when Jongdae takes a key to a room for two people, although Kyungsoo can hear a little complaining from Sehun like ‘I hope I won’t be in the room next door’ but he doesn’t say anything. After going to their rooms and unpacking their things, all students have to go to a meeting with their teachers and they can have two free hours so Jongdae and Kyungsoo just decide to go to their room to rest after the exhausting journey. They sit together, Kyungsoo hugging Jongdae from behind and looking over his shoulder, as the elder one plays on his phone, and listening to his complaining when Jongdae loses again.

“I hate this thing,” mutters Jongdae, throwing the phone on the spot beside him.

“If you hate the game so much, why do you keep playing it?” Kyungsoo asks and Jongdae tries not to sigh, not wanting Kyungsoo to hear that he’s exasperated by his words. Instead, he just stays silent, leaning against his chest.

They are sitting for a couple of minutes like that talking about stuffs when suddenly the door opens and Baekhyun enters their room with closed eyes and hands on his ears.

“Okay, kids,” he says. “I don’t know what you’re doing and I even don’t want to know it, so just stop it, make sure your clothes are on and then tell me so I can finally open my eyes.”

Both Jongdae and Kyungsoo don’t know what to do at first, but after hearing Baekhyun they start laughing. Finally, Jongdae stands up and comes to his friend, taking his hands off his ears so he can hear him.

“It’s okay, Baek,” he says. “We aren’t doing anything, you can open your eyes.”

“You sure?” asks Baekhyun and Kyungsoo has to cover his mouth to be sure he won’t make any weird sounds that Baekhyun will be afraid of.

After hearing that it is (or should be) safe for him to open his eyes, Baekhyun does it and when he sees that indeed, everything’s alright, he sighs in relief.

“What a luck,” he says. “I was afraid what you can do now being all alone in your room.”

“Relax, we didn’t do anything. Yet,” Jongdae adds and Baekhyun’s eyes widen.

“I didn’t need to know that, you bastard,” he says bitterly and Jongdae laughs once again, while Kyungsoo tells that his boyfriend was only joking.

“Why are you so afraid of us?” Jongdae asks finally sitting beside Kyungsoo on his bed again.

Baekhyun rolls his eyes in exasperation, not believing his friend doesn’t know and doesn’t even suspect it. “I thought it was obvious. If you were able to kiss each other with such a passion after only a week, I was worrying what are you able to do after being together for more than a month. It’s understanding, isn’t it? And you are the ones who took my poor eyes’ innocence!”

Jongdae and Kyungsoo just look at each other being speechless because Baekhyun is so stupid right now and they don’t even want to say that they know Baekhyun’s ‘poor eyes’ innocence’ was taken long before he saw them kissing.

“Anyways, why did you come here if you’re terrified seeing us together?”

Baekhyun wants to say that seeing them just being together is the last thing that can make him terrified, but he decides to ignore it. “Chanyeol asked me to come to you and tell you that he had found a club in the area” he informs and Jongdae’s eyes brighten, while Kyungsoo’s smile disappears. “Do you want to go there tonight?”

The boys look at each other and it’s obvious that Jongdae does want to, but Kyungsoo, being the ‘boring’ person he is, prefers to stay in the room. But seeing his friend’s expression, he just agrees and Jongdae’s so happy, especially knowing how hard it has to be for Kyungsoo to agree for something like that.

Another few days are peaceful. They spend days on wandering in mountains, then spending their free time with their friends, and going at nights to the club. Nothing changes until the last day comes. They are supposed to have some ‘biology time’ as the educational part of the trip, then eat something and go home. When Jongdae wakes up, Kyungsoo isn’t in their room but Jongdae ignores it because he knows Kyungsoo always wakes up too early and he can’t just stay in bed as he gets bored easily. After a quick shower, Jongdae goes to Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s room, not caring it’s only 7 AM and none of them should be awake.

Seeing that both of them are still sleeping soundly, he sighs ironically and then runs to Baekhyun’s bed, throwing himself at his friend. He starts laughing uncontrollably when Baekhyun screams and whimpers, feeling his weight and prays that Jongdae won’t crash his bones.

“Did the war finally start?!” yells Chanyeol, waking up from his dream and looking around confused. That’s when both Jongdae and Baekhyun stop screaming and laughing and just look at their friend, wondering what the hell is wrong with him.

“Did you really dream about the III World War again?” Jongdae asks, standing up and finally letting Baekhyun breath and check if no bone is broken.

“Shut up,” mutters Chanyeol, being too ashamed because of his dreams which are the reason why Jongdae and Baekhyun have been laughing at him recently. “Anyways, why did you come here alone? Where’s Kyungsoo?”

Jongdae just shrugs, sitting on Baekhyun’s bed. “I don’t know, he wasn’t in our room when I woke up.”

“He doesn’t wait till late when you finally wake up and you can share your good morning kiss?” asks Baekhyun teasingly and Jongdae rolls his eyes in exasperation, wondering why suddenly Baekhyun turns out to be such pain in .

“Or ,” says Chanyeol quickly and then turns back, when he sees a pillow being thrown at him.

“You stupid brat,” hisses Jongdae with a blush when he sees that the giant managed to escape from his attack. “I hope you’ll finally find a girlfriend and stop bothering other people because, seriously, you’re boring now.”

“Okay, okay, just kidding.” mutters Chanyeol feeling how annoyed his friend is. “Why are you here?”

“And why so early?!” Baekhyun asks, getting angry when he sees what time it is. “It’s ing 7 AM! Normally I would have another three hours of my beauty sleep!”

“That’s cool, but don’t forget breakfast is at 8 AM,” says Jongdae while Baekhyun hits him in arm and the younger one whimpers in pain.

“It’s an hour of sleep at least, you !”

“Who cares?”

Jongdae stays in their room till breakfast and only then he finally sees Kyungsoo. He approaches his friend with a bright smile on his face but Kyungsoo just sends him an indifferent look and Jongdae’s smile disappear not knowing what’s going on. When he wants to go after Kyungsoo, the younger one goes somewhere and Jongdae loses him in crowd, so he just sits down beside Sehun.

The youngest looks at him, surprised by the scene and wonders what could have happened because it’s unusual for them to fight.

“What’s wrong?” he asks, eyeing Jongdae carefully.

“Nothing.”

“And what’s wrong with Kyungsoo?”

Jongdae looks at him confused and then he realizes that Sehun saw them before but probably doesn’t know anything like him, so Jongdae just shakes his head.

“I don’t know, maybe it isn’t a good day for him.”

“He looks like he’s hurt. Did you two fight?” asks Sehun and Jongdae’s eyes are full of surprise, but then it turns into a concern.

“No,” he informs, wondering what could have happened to Kyungsoo. “I don’t remember I said something mean to him or did something wrong. Everything was fine just yesterday.”

Sehun nods and doesn’t say anything. Jongdae takes his plate but then he realizes he doesn’t feel like eating at the moment, so he just stands up and saying that he isn’t hungry anymore, goes to his room, hoping that maybe he’ll meet Kyungsoo there. And obviously, he doesn’t.

For the whole day Kyungsoo doesn’t talk to Jongdae, he doesn’t even come to him and even when Jongdae wants to finally approach him, he always disappears. Jongdae is afraid that maybe Kyungsoo is hurt indeed and he caused it. He’s afraid that maybe the bet caused everything and he starts blaming himself for having agreed to it, having ignored the possible consequences and having been so careless about it.

But then he starts wondering why now is the time when Kyungsoo is acting so strangely, when he feels bad about all of it. It’s almost one and half a month of their ‘relationship’ and thinking about it there’s another question that comes to his mind.

Why did even Kyungsoo decide to come to Jongdae and start the whole bet? Jongdae knows that he never bets other people when he isn’t sure he’ll win it. So he had to be sure he can last acting like a gay for a really long time and it suddenly makes Jongdae feel uneasy. Finally he has a headache because of this thoughts and he growls, feeling sad, hurt and useless because he knows nothing honestly and he can’t even think what’s really going on with Kyungsoo.

When they are coming back Jongin sits with Jongdae saying that Kyungsoo asked him to change their seats but he didn’t give any reason and Jongdae starts feeling bad. He’s desperate to know what’s going on and Kyungsoo doesn’t help him at all, while their friends are as confused about the whole situation as Jongdae, although he knows that no one really cares about it. When they are finally back, Kyungsoo says goodbye to everyone except of Jongdae of course and it hurts, when Jongdae wants to try to talk to him again and suddenly Kyungsoo disappears.

The situation doesn’t change in the next few days and desperation turns into depression but still, Jongdae doesn’t give up because he knows something’s wrong and he has to know what’s up. But finally, after a week of tries, he can’t stand it anymore.

Chanyeol sees that Jongdae suffers and he finally decides that maybe he can somehow help him relax and they both know that Jongdae needs it, so the latter doesn’t argue when Chanyeol comes to his home saying that he has to get ready because they are going to a club. During their way, the taller one says that he asked others to come as well, including Kyungsoo, but he doubts whether the younger one would like to go, remembering that he wasn’t a person whose hobby was partying and fooling around. Kyungsoo was pretty shy and silent person, after all.

When they are in the club, Jongdae starts drinking and although he knows that he shouldn’t drink too much, he doesn’t really care. It’s the ending of the last month in school, they are after their last exams and he wants to forget about everything, having fun so he doesn’t notice that after half an hour being in the club he isn’t able to say how many drinks he’s already drunk. Then, seeing dancing people and hearing a loud music, he stands up and decides to dance as well. Soon, he feels hands touching him everywhere, a body pressing against his own and a hard member against his , feeling heat Jongdae rolls his hips. He doesn’t even notice that he’s molested by a guy and it would make him feel uneasy and scared two months ago but now he doesn’t think about it and is it because of the bet, or is it alcohol’s work that Jongdae doesn’t even care the hands touching him belong to a man?

After a while the guy presses Jongdae against the wall, his hands are on his hips, their pelvises pressed together and they’re making out. Jongdae doesn’t really register what is going on but he knows it’s pleasurable so he just responds, at the same does nothing when the man’s hands are in his pants.

“Take your filthy hands off of him,” he hears a harsh voice and Jongdae feels the guy isn’t with him anymore. He doesn’t know where the guy is and he quickly forgets about him, because when he looks at the person that said the words he’s speechless, wondering what Kyungsoo is doing here. Jongdae is drunk and he doesn’t even know what to say, so he starts blubbering incoherent words.

Kyungsoo doesn’t understand him, realizing it isn’t the best state Jongdae’s ever been in, so he grabs his friend, and leads him to the exit. When they are finally in the fresh air, Kyungsoo wraps his fingers around Jongdae’s wrist painfully, wanting to catch his attention.

“Can you tell me what the was that?” he asks and he doesn’t know if he’s more angry or sad that Jongdae let a stranger touch him like that.

Jongdae looks at him unconsciously. He’s sure that it’s just his imagination because it’s impossible that after so many days, Kyungsoo stays in front of him like nothing happened. But he doesn’t care, it hurts too much, so he just lets his words be said, even if the person is everyone but Kyungsoo. “What are you doing here,” he mutters quietly. “I wanted to talk to you and… you were nowhere…”

Kyungsoo looks at him, not knowing what he should say and then a painful realization hits him. It hurts when he finally understands that Jongdae was drinking and then let someone molest him because of Kyungsoo’s actions.

He feels guilty but he doesn’t allow himself to think about it. His gaze softens as he gently presses a palm against Jongdae’s cheek, rubbing it slowly. “I stressed you ignoring you without any warning, didn’t I?” he asks. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I didn’t know it was so bad.”

“But you did it!” Jongdae says suddenly with broken voice and if not the smell of alcohol and Jongdae’s absent look, Kyungsoo would think that his friend was sober. “I need you… And you disappeared…”

Kyungsoo hugs him, wanting to calm him somehow, not wanting to hear Jongdae’s cries. “I know, I’m sorry. It won’t happen again, I swear.”

Jongdae feels calmer, even if he’s sure he just pretends that Kyungsoo is here with him, that he doesn’t hate him and he hugs his friend back, wishing they’ll never be apart anymore.

“Don’t leave me,” he whispers and Kyungsoo smiles, because finally Jongdae doesn’t cry, he doesn’t sound so sad and broken as before.

“Never.”




Kyungsoo leads Jongdae to the elder’s house. After being made to explain why Jongdae’s in such a state to his friend’s mother, he goes to Jongdae’s room and helps him go to his bed. It’s late and he decides that he’ll stay there at night. When he comes to the bedroom after washing himself he’s surprised seeing that Jongdae isn’t asleep.

“Go to sleep,” he says. “It’s late and you’re tired and drunk, so sleep and rest.”

“I’m not drunk,” Jongdae denies and Kyungsoo just rolls his eyes, wondering how came he forgot that sometimes Jongdae can be such a child.

“I still can smell an alcohol from you, believe me, you’re drunk.”

“No,” Jongdae still denies, although he knows that he doesn’t believe him. “I’m not as drunk as I was before!”

Kyungsoo just sighs, shaking his head. “Whatever. Do you need something?”

“Yup,” Jongdae does behave like a child and Kyungsoo has to fight his urge to laugh, seeing him like this. “Kiss me.”

Now Kyungsoo’s eyes widen because he wouldn’t expect that a drunk Jongdae would ask him for something like that. Okay, it’s true that alcohol can do strange things with people but still, it’s weird for him.

“No,” he replies and Jongdae pouts.

“Kiss me!”

“No.”

“Why?” Kyungsoo doesn’t know what he should say. So he just looks at his friend, lost in thoughts and Jongdae observes him, waiting for an answer.

“Because we shouldn’t do that,” Kyungsoo says finally, letting a shaken breath escape his mouth. “We’re friends, it isn’t right and… Crap, I should have known it’s wrong before I told you about the bet, it was so obvious you’d agree and now…”

Kyungsoo stops and looks at Jongdae, who seems to be a little confused with his words. A while passes and Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to do to prevent the awkward silence to fill the room, when he suddenly hears a sniff. He looks at Jongdae and sees tears in his eyes, wondering when Jongdae became such a crybaby. And Jongdae hopes that even if this is a hallucination, he can for the last time feel everything’s alright, like it was before. He wants to feel Kyungsoo’s warm but when Kyungsoo denies the kiss, now Jongdae knows everything was ruined. Even his mind doesn’t allow him doing and wanting all of this.

“I miss you,” Jongdae finally says. “You’re my best friend and when you disappeared I started wondering if I scared you and… I’m afraid. I miss you so much.”

Kyungsoo lowers his head and then rises it up again. He comes to Jongdae and sits on his bed, eyeing him carefully.

“Do you really mean it?” he asks. “Saying that you want me to kiss you.”

Jongdae nods and Kyungsoo smiles, leaning on to press their lips together. At first, it’s just a simple kiss, with no effort, but then Kyungsoo feels he wants more and he knows Jongdae wants it as well, so the kiss becomes more passionately. After a while, still kissing, Jongdae lies back and Kyungsoo is above him, not wanting to stop, praying that this moment will last forever, when he hears moans escaping Jongdae’s mouth. When Kyungsoo finally pulls out, he breaths quickly and he sees Jongdae’s cheeks are red. His look is lost at first, but then he looks at Kyungsoo caringly and Kyungsoo can’t help chuckling, seeing him like this.

“Why were you so afraid?” asks Jongdae, wondering if it is really a dream instead of reality.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to say and there are no proper words coming to his mind so he finally says the easiest thing he can. “Because I don’t want to lose you.”

“You won’t.”




Although Jongdae wasn’t sober that night, he remembers everything and regrets nothing, especially when he sees that it wasn’t a dream at all. He wakes up with Kyungsoo in his bed, when both of them are hugging tightly. He smiles, and then he remembers there’s still one thing that has been bothering him for so long.

“Kyungsoo?” he says two hours later, when they are in his room, searching for a film to watch after eating breakfast.

“Hm?” Kyungsoo asks and when he hears no reply, he looks at Jongdae. “What is it?”

Jongdae waits a moment, wondering what he should say when Kyungsoo stops doing everything to look at him.

“You know, after yesterday,” he starts and Kyungsoo feels the question can be quite hard, “what are we? I mean, that kiss was a part of our bet, right?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what he should say because he isn’t sure what Jongdae thinks and if he’s scared about it, he has to say that it was the bet and if not, if he means something more, then he can’t disappoint him. He never wants to make his friend sad and still he has to answer him.

“During the kiss, did you think about it as something else?” he asks and only then he realizes how it sounds. “I mean, what do you think about it and what do you really want it to be?”

Jongdae just stares somewhere in thoughtfulness, wondering and then he says, “I don’t really know.” Seeing Kyungsoo doesn’t understand, he adds, “I don’t really care what it was because I was depressed after being away from you. I just wanted to be with you like always and since it became normal for us to act like this…”

He cuts off and Kyungsoo starts to wonder if it’s safe for him to tell Jongdae about the whole issue, knowing that no matter what, he and Jongdae are so close already that it shouldn’t be as hard as it could be before.

“You know why I started ignoring you?” he asks. Jongdae shakes his head so Kyungsoo continues. “I was afraid of us being so close to each other.”

Jongdae feels guilty because, does it mean Kyungsoo was afraid to kiss him and Jongdae made him somehow do it?

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he asks, his voice weak and tired. “I didn’t know. If I knew, I wouldn’t ask you about it yesterday, you know?”

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo nods but it doesn’t mean Jongdae feels better. “I mean I was uncomfortable with those things not because I didn’t want to be close to you or something. It’s only because I wanted so much to be close to you and although we were best friends, we weren’t as close as I wanted. So after the bet, I thought it would be better, but then I thought how unreal it is and I was afraid. Because it never was what I wanted it to be.”

Now Jongdae looks at his best friend with pure confusion, not sure if he didn’t misunderstood his words.

“What do you mean?” he finally asks. “What do you want?”

Kyungsoo sighs. He hoped that maybe Jongdae would somehow notice but feeling his confusion, he knows that he has to say it aloud and suddenly, he’s so stressed.

“I want us to be close,” he answers and Jongdae doesn’t understand what’s the difference. “But this time I want it to be real.”

Before Jongdae can think about it and say something, Kyungsoo speaks again. “Long time before the bet, I fell for you.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t know why he leans on and kisses his friend when he’s sure that Jongdae will certainly push him off, yelling that he’s an idiot and he’s just ruined their friendship that lasted for so long. That’s why he’s so surprised and happy when Jongdae kisses him back, his arms on Kyungsoo’s shoulders. They don’t know how long it lasts, and when the kiss finally ends, Kyungsoo looks at Jongdae’s face with bewilderment, wanting to understand what happened. That was the first time they were kissing when Jongdae knew how Kyungsoo really felt.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?” asks Jongdae, smiling when Kyungsoo is unable to answer. “You could have told me instead of ignoring me. You could have told me even before the bet.”

“I didn’t want to scare you,” Kyungsoo admits, feeling extremely stupid, cursing himself for being such a fool.

Hearing it, Jongdae just laughs, hugging Kyungsoo tightly.




After 57 days of acting like a couple, Kyungsoo can finally say that his dream came true when he sits with his friends in a nice café, Jongdae beside him, holding his hand and caressing it slowly, while they’re celebrating the end of school year. No one notices any change but both Jongdae and Kyungsoo know that there was one, when they finally can think of being together not because of the stupid bet, but because they really are in a relationship after such a long time. Now they don’t have to pretend.

After the meeting, during their way to Kyungsoo’s, Jongdae suddenly remembers something.

“Did you start the bet because you fell for me?” he asks and Kyungsoo suddenly blushes hearing the question.

“Not really,” he answers and Jongdae’s surprised, looking at Kyungsoo meaningfully and Kyungsoo knows he has to continue. “You know, I tried to keep it as a secret, the fact I was in love with you but somehow Jongin found out about it. He told me many times to confess to you and I was always saying I’d finally do it, but obviously I never did. And one time he couldn’t stand it anymore, so he said he’d tell you I fell for you. I didn’t want you to find out, so I thought that maybe if we acted like a couple, he wouldn’t tell you anything.”

“He never did,” Jongdae admitted. “You want to say it’s the reason of the whole bet?”

“It’s the huge part of it,” Kyungsoo answers and then he grins. “But on the other hand, I did want to feel like it would be, dating you. At first it was nice but then I realized all of it was a fake. You weren’t mine as I wanted you to be.”

Jongdae smiles and squeezes his hand. Saying nothing more, he wonders if there’s a peculiar way to thank Jongin for all the things he did.