[namjin] library snacks & 3AM promises

Wizarding Idols

It was around the time of night that things usually quieted down around the school, late enough that those who'd been set on making a good time of the night had petered off into smaller, quieter groups tucked out of easy sight, and those who actually cared about being awake for morning classes had long fallen asleep. Give or take a few handfuls of last minute homework-ers. Seokjin would've liked to be one of the privileged already getting their beauty rest, but instead, he was en route to the library, robes lined with a generous supply of leftovers and snacks liberated from the kitchen. It was all because he's the kindest, most thoughtful, and caring soul this side of Hogwarts, of course. And because he was pretty sure Kim Namjoon would've starved to death three months into his first year here if it wasn't for him. And so he goes, through empty halls and past dozing paintings under dim lights, into the library and deeper inside, to one of the furthest tables back, covered almost completely—there's about a three-by-five inch space of actual clear table, it's kind of a miracle—by too many opened books and not enough spare parchment.

Naturally, Namjoon barely registers anything outside of the text he's poured himself over, let alone looks up to greet him, so Seokjin settles unceremoniously into a spare seat and starts rearranging books to give himself at least a square foot of space to work with. This takes a full seven and a half minutes to achieve, but when he's done, Seokjin glances around warily and finally pulls out one of the saved pastries from dinner. It's not Namjoon's favorite, but it's pleasantly fragrant and looks appetizing enough to tempt even the most steadfast deniers, so he sets it on his cleared patch of table and clears his throat.

He then clears his throat three more times. And calls Namjoon's name twice. And, finally, reaches over to snap the book the other boy's buried himself in shut, nearly taking his nose off in the process.

It's only at this point that Namjoon looks up and, eyes wide and surprised, acknowledges his presence.

"Hyung? When did you get here.."

Pleased with finally being noticed, Seokjin sits back and wasted no time in motioning down to the pastry he'd so carefully put on display.

"About fifteen minutes ago. Eat."

Whatever uncertain reply Namjoon had been working on died down into a series of quiet half mumbles when his eyes dropped to the pastry and his stomach promptly staged a siege of any and all higher functions in order to convince its owner that it was damn well time to eat and that it would be ignored no longer. What happened next was gruesome and unsightly and fit only for the goriest of B-rated muggle horror flicks.. and when Namjoon was done eating—if you could call it that.. personally, Seokjin found the word 'destroyed' to be more fitting—the Hufflepuff helpfully produced another pastry for him, only to watch that disappear just as quickly.

"As usual, I was right. You'd starve yourself to death if I wasn't watching."

Namjoon only laughed in reply, then sheepishly swept crumbs off the pages of his books and swallowed. "Give me a little credit, hyung.."

"Maybe when you earn it. Or when you stop forgetting to eat while you study."

With each snack that Namjoon devoured, Seokjin continued to produce one more, unfailing in his supply, which Namjoon had always found to be terribly magical of him. Magical even for a wizard in a school for magic, which was saying something, or so he figured. And this was how they lost another hour to a little quiet chatting and a lot of barely quiet eating, Namjoon only managing to choke twice and Seokjin rolling his eyes and stifling a laugh both times. They both knew they'd be here again in a day or two, as they'd been for the past three years, and neither had much to say in way of complaints about the fact. It was a comfortable routine they'd developed, even though Seokjin would occasionally pout and sigh and remind Namjoon how lucky they were that he was infinitely handsome, or else all the beauty sleep he'd been missing out on would've made him unbearable to look at by now.

By the time Seokjin had convinced the other boy to call it a night, the hour was slowly edging closer to 3AM and the halls were silent, save for the quiet snores and breaths from the paintings, along with the occasional stuff grumble for them to get back to their dorms. So they walk along extra quiet, the textbooks split evenly between both their arms—because the last time he'd let Namjoon try and carry all of his books by himself, he'd ended up watching the Ravenclaw nearly kill himself tripping after the strap on his bag snapped, and as funny as the sight had been at the time, the bruises Namjoon had ended up with afterwards had made the Hufflepuff wince in sympathy.

With Namjoon talking in animated hushed tones about the new spells he's been learning and how he was working them into his music projects, Seokjin managed to get away with walking the younger boy most of the way to his dorm before the other noticed, and it was only then that he begrudgingly piled his half of the books into Namjoon's arms to send him off on his own. Watching the other wrestle with the stack and try to keep his footing steady for nearly a minute, Seokjin sighed and pulled out his wand, casting a quiet spell to lighten the weight and ensure that Namjoon at least had a chance to getting back to his bed without being crushed by a wayward bookfall.

The bright smile this earned him from the Ravenclaw warmed Seokjin all the way down to his toes and he really couldn't help but smile back.

"You gotta teach me that one later, hyung."

Stepping in closer with a laugh, Seokjin nodded and leaned in to plant a little kiss on Namjoon's cheek, ruffling his hair into an even messier mop than it had already been and pulling out another snack—out of nowhere, Namjoon was convinced—to pop it into the other's mouth.

"Maybe if you don't forget to eat like a normal person for a whole week."

All Namjoon could do with a full mouth was whine and make puppy eyes at the Hufflepuff, but it was effective enough judging by the warm way Seokjin laughed and patted his cheek.

"Go to bed, Namjoonie."

It took a couple more minutes of smiles and waves and goodbyes and general lingering for the two to finally go their separate ways, and despite the ungodly hour and the promise of an early morning filled with classes they actually had to try and pay attention to, somehow, they both went to bed with smiles on their faces and a warmth in their chests that even the most advanced spell couldn't dream of replicating.