Two

To Witness a Miracle

“And here are the rest of your things, Ok Taecyeon sshi,” Assistant Kim said as he placed his belongings on the floor of the living room.

Taecyeon ignored him as he scanned his summer home, hands on his hips.

“At least my grandfather has a nice beach house,” he scoffed.

“Will you be needing anything else from me before I depart, sir?”

Taecyeon turned to his grandfather’s assistant. “Yeah, if you could lend me your wallet, that would be great,” he joked.

Assistant Kim just laughed and shook his head. “Good one, sir.”

“Assistant Kim sshi,” he addressed the suited man, his voice taking on a more serious tone.

(He always liked addressing him that way because it sounded like Assistant Kimchi in his head).

“Neh, sir?”

“What is my grandfather up to? Why would he send me here?”

“I believe he made himself pretty clear at the hospital, sir. He wants you to atone for your mal-behavior,” he replied honestly.

“But what about that nonsense regarding an ‘act of selflessness?’”

But Assistant Kim just shrugged his shoulders. “I’m sorry, Taecyeon sshi. I don’t think I can help you.”

“Arasso, you can leave,” Taecyeon just nodded his head and waved his hand in dismissal.

“I will see you at the end of the season,” Assistant Kim replied as he bowed the perfect 90 degree angle.

The man proceeded to walk out of the house and close the door behind him.

Taecyeon headed toward the sliding door that led to the back of the beach house, which in turn, led directly to the shore.

It was then, that Taecyeon realized he was truly alone – no familiar faces, no parties, practically no money.

As he stared off into the sunset, he recalled his last conversation with his friends.

 

--Flashback—

“Seriously? The whole summer?” Wooyoung’s might have popped out of his head.

“Yup,” Taecyeon nodded.

“And we can’t come to visit you?” Yuri asked.

“Yeah, I mean, how could your granddad find out?” Chansung agreed.

“As much as I’d love the company,” Taecyeon started, “If I make one screw-up, I lose my inheritance for good – can’t risk it. Besides, I’m pretty sure my grandfather’s got eyes everywhere. Believe me when I say that he will find out.”

“That’s rough, buddy,” Wooyoung replied as he pat his friend on the shoulder. “What are you gonna do the entire summer?”

“I have no idea. He brought up this crap about doing something ‘nice’ to ‘atone for my mistakes’ over the past couple years,” he explained.

“What in God’s name is that supposed to mean?” Yuri asked, disbelievingly.

Taecyeon shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. “Beats me..”

“He probably just wants you to do something nice,” Taeyeon suggested.

“Like what? Save a cat from a tree? Help an old lady cross the street? How am I supposed to know what to do if he won’t even give me a hint?” Taecyeon questioned furiously.

“Chill, bro,” Wooyoung put up a hand defensively, wrapping an arm around his girlfriend.

“Sorry,” he apologized half-heartedly. “This bull is just so frustrating and pointless.”

“Maybe you just have to get through the season without screwing up,” Yuri attempted to calm him down.

But Taecyeon shook his head. “Nah, knowing my granddad, he wants something more than the bare minimum. If I don’t figure out what he wants, I’m done for.”

“No parties? No clubbing? No money?” Chansung listed his restrictions in amazement. “How is Ok Taecyeon gonna get through this summer?”

Taecyeon sat on the couch with his elbows resting on either knee and his chin on his hands, deep in thought. “I don’t know. But I have to if I want my inheritance. And I want it.”

--End Flashback—

Taecyeon let out a grunt of frustration as he turned away from the sunset to begin unpacking his things.

He was lucky none of his belongings were taken from him, like his cellphone or laptop. But he has been restricted from accessing any other property belonging to his family including his penthouse, their other vacation homes, and even the company headquarters.

He was forced to choose between his car and his motorcycle, and opted out for the latter since it would require less gas money.

Besides, who in the world was he going to be driving around out here?

It didn’t take long for him to settle into the house. He’s been here quite a few times with some of his friends and with his grandfather growing up whenever they went on vacation together.

There weren’t very many family photos in the house which didn’t surprise Taecyeon at all.

He would not consider himself a family-oriented man – despite his grandfather’s wishes.

Taecyeon had no reason to be that way – not with a past like his.

Normally, Taecyeon would be out and about with his friends. But now, he had no idea what to do with himself.

With little money for him, he decided it was time to go into town.

For the first time in his life, Ok Taecyeon would be searching for a job.

 

 

“Are you sure you don’t have any openings?” he demanded a bit harshly.

But the man just shook his head, unshaken. “Nope. Sorry,” he said simply before walking away from the counter.

Taecyeon walked out of the shop and let out a huff of air. He tilted his head back and closed his eyes. With one hand shoved into his pocket, he used the other to pinch the bridge of his nose.

Yeesh~ Why is this so hard? He thought to himself.

This had to be the tenth shop he walked into, inquiring about any open part-time positions, only to be turned away with no prospects.

It was already dark, so he looked at his watch to see it was almost 7pm.

He figured he might as well get something to eat while he was still out.

I’m sure one small meal won’t cause my granddad to flip out, he assured himself.

  He walked into the nearest café and observed the menu above the counter.

“You can sit anywhere you’d like,” one of the waitresses smiled at him.

“Thanks,” he smiled back a bit devilishly.

She was definitely cute and he was no stranger to flirting or being flirted with. She had long, dark brown hair, almond-shaped eyes, with a petite frame.

He sat down in the closest booth by the window and waited for the waitress to come serve him.

The café was a pretty decent size with plenty of seating with a very modernized kind of style that was both sophisticated and homey.

Suddenly, someone approached his table, but much to his surprise, it was a different waitress.

“Well, Hi there,” he greeted, his tone sulky.

This girl was even cuter than the other one. She was slightly taller than the previous girl, with dark black hair, and doe-shaped eyes and a long neck.

But the girl remained completely unmoved by his smolder. “I’m sorry, sir, but I’m afraid I can’t service you.”

Taecyeon’s eyes widened at her sudden statement and his back straightened in confusion. “Excuse me?” he narrowed his eyes at her.

“I’m going to have to ask you to leave,” she said completely calm and collected.

“And why is that?” he demanded, leaning back in his seat.

“At this café, we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone,” she explained.

How can this girl be so rude?  He thought to himself.

“Oh, really?” he crossed his arms. “I’d like to speak to your manager, then,” he challenged.

But she just smirked and mirrored him, crossing her own arms. “You’re speaking to her,” she countered as she arrogantly flipped her jet black hair over her shoulder.

At that statement, he was feeling a lot less smug.

They stared at each other, eye to eye, for a few seconds until Taecyeon finally exhaled in anger. “Fine,” he hissed curtly, getting up from his seat.

He walked past her to the door but before he walked out, he turned to her, his glare hardening. “This won’t be the last you see of me,” he warned.

As he walked out, he didn’t fail to take notice of the shop’s operating hours.