Chapter 7

Star-Crossed: Hidden and Forbidden
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

AN: The last few chapters have been nothing but full of drama so I decided to right something full of fluff and romance for a change. I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. Have a blast! (P.S. If you're not familiar with Taylor Swift's Ours, I advise you to listen to it before reading this chapter. Enjoy! <3)

 

 

 

CHAPTER 7

 

[Byun Baek Hyun’s POV]

 

 

My alarm goes off five minutes before midnight. Hanna whispered to me after dinner to go to her room three hours earlier than usual. I understood then that she’s preparing something for my birthday. Not wanting to spoil her happiness, I remained silent and obeyed though various scenarios had been forming inside my head.

 

What is she planning to do? I thought as I sat to check if Chen was awake.

 

I could hear him snore a bit as his chest rises and falls slowly.

 

He’s still sleeping.

 

Relaxed, I went to the bathroom to take a good look at myself.

 

Every time I am with Hanna, I can’t help but be conscious about how I would look. Although I’m sure Hanna never likes me just because of my physical qualities, I can’t help but feel the intense need to always be perfect in front of her. With her, I always want to be the best. Because that’s what she deserves – the best.

 

I brushed my teeth, fixed my hair, changed my clothes, and headed out towards her room.

 

I was about to open her door when I noticed a small note posted on it.

 

I took the piece of paper and read what was written.

 

Meet me at the place where it all began, she wrote in her distinct and wonderful script.

 

I can’t help but smile to myself.

 

What are you really planning to do, Hanna?

 

Hiding the note away into my back pocket, I headed off to the stairs.

 

I found another note posted on the stairway railings.

 

Picking it up, I squinted my eyes and checked the whole flight of stairs.

 

I chuckled, shaking my head.

 

Oh, Hanna…

 

“I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with you,” I read the words to myself.

 

I took out the first note out of my pocket and placed the second one over it.

 

Just like Hanna, I am determined to keep all our memories. And I’m going to start it now.

 

I descended another flight of stair and took the third note.

 

I read it aloud, “So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.” 

 

I collected the note in my hand, my chest slowly tightening. These are all words, lines, sentences that Hanna loves. I’ve always known she is a reader – a girl in love with books. I never imagined she’d share those words she’s cherished most to me – even dedicate it to me. I was suddenly filled with such overwhelming sensation I felt like my heart’s about to burst any moment.

 

But I continued to read.

 

“I am catastrophically in love with you.” 

 

"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.” 

 

I was too pre-occupied with reading everything that I hadn’t even noticed that I was left with the last note.

 

I descended the last flight of stair and plucked the paper off the metal railing.

 

I took a deep breath and read again.

 

“You are the first dream, the only dream I ever was unable to stop myself from dreaming. You are the first dream of my soul, and from that dream I hope will come all other dreams, a lifetime’s worth.”

 

A smile broke out from my lips just as a tear fell, staining the note on my hand.

 

I immediately placed it together with the other notes and stuffed it inside my back pocket.

 

Wiping the tears away from my face hastily and taking another huge heave of breath, I made my way towards the kitchen where Hanna would be waiting for me.

 

 

***

 

 

“Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da,

Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da,

Sarang ha neun Baekhyunie,

Saeng il chuk ha ham ni da!”

 

Hanna began singing the moment I entered, a birthday cake held in her hands.

 

She still had her apron wrapped around her, her hair pulled up in a messy bun.

 

She still looked gorgeous even will all those flour staining her face.

 

I ducked my head, trying to hide the tears as they fall once more.

 

I had imagined a lot of scenarios before going here but this isn’t something I was clearly expecting.

 

Hanna continued walking and stopped just in front of me.

 

“Happy Birthday, Baek,” she whispered, her voice sweet and melting.

 

I sniffed and looked up to stare at her.

 

A sob broke through me, covered by the awkward sounds of my chuckle.

 

I ought to look like a huge mess right now.

 

Hanna turned her head to the side, a faint smile tugging on the corners of her lips. She asked, “Why are you crying?”

 

I scoffed and looked up, trying to blink the tears away.

 

When I’m sure I won’t break down again.

 

I turned to stare at her.

 

“Nothing,” I answered, my voice uneven. “You overworked yourself, Hanna.”

 

She chuckled.

 

“Did I?” she said as the candle light flickered in front of her. “Go on and blow this, oppa!” she blurted in panic.

 

I took a step closer to her and closed my eyes.

 

Please let this happiness linger. Please let everything work out for the two of us, I wished.

 

I opened my eyes and blew on the candle.

 

Hanna hooted in glee.

 

“Happy Birthday!!!” she yelled quietly. We have to be careful so as not to wake the boys up.

 

I laughed, reaching out to remove the flour stains on her cheeks.

 

“I look like a huge mess, do I?” she muttered, suddenly looking uneasy.

 

I shook my head.

 

“You look perfect,” I pointed out.

 

Hanna rolled her eyes and handed the cake to me.

 

“Shall we eat it?” she offered, walking over to the kitchen counter. She pulled out a pair of fork.

 

I placed the cake on the counter, drumming my fingers as I ponder about her offer.

 

“Is there any way I could preserve this?” I asked sincerely.

 

Hanna burst out laughing.

 

“What? Why would you want to preserve it?” she asked in between laughs.

 

I stared at her.

 

“I’m serious, Hanna. I really do want to preserve this,” I said more forcefully this time.

 

This made her stop laughing.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter